Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Old 11-06-15, 09:51 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

I'd be so much happier if they killed off Leia instead of Chewie.
Old 11-06-15, 09:55 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

BB-8 IS luke skywalker!

(just realized the "eyes" are offset like the two suns in that scene)
Old 11-06-15, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

I'm surprised that so many people are anxious to see more footage of this, you already know you're going to see it, why ruin the pleasures that come with seeing things for the first time in context.
Old 11-06-15, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 736 Likes on 363 Posts

Because we're addicts, man! We need our fix!
Old 11-06-15, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

Fair, too many instances where I've seen so much in a trailer that the actual movie underwhelmed because literally every key note was already shown in a 2 minute clip. And that initial appreciation for something is important when it comes to replays and remembering it for the long run.
Old 11-06-15, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Ganondorf
It was posted only about ten posts above this...
Doh...
Old 11-06-15, 10:13 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
BB-8 IS luke skywalker!
That reminds me of an old EU book which had monks killing themselves and having their brains implanted into droids so that they could live forever Robocop-style. I don't remember the name of that book or anything else about it. I just have always remembered that one specific detail because it was so fucked up, especially for a Star Wars story.
Old 11-06-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,370 Likes on 1,010 Posts

That reminds me of an old EU book which had monks killing themselves and having their brains implanted into droids so that they could live forever Robocop-style. I don't remember the name of that book or anything else about it. I just have always remembered that one specific detail because it was so fucked up, especially for a Star Wars story.
I don't recall the book, but it's probably Tales from Jabba's Palace.

There's a shot in ROTJ where you can see what looks like a giant mechanical spider with a brain jar attached. That's one of those monks.
Old 11-06-15, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was even a mail away figure of the spider mink.
Old 11-06-15, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,598 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I'm surprised that so many people are anxious to see more footage of this, you already know you're going to see it, why ruin the pleasures that come with seeing things for the first time in context.
I agree completely. I watched the first two trailers and that was plenty. I'm in like Flynn.

I've done the same thing with a lot of big movies lately. Only watched one trailer for Ant-Man. Only watched the first teaser for Spectre. Only watched the first teaser for Age of Ultron. It's so much better going in cold.
Old 11-06-15, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by MBoyd
There was even a mail away figure of the spider mink.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-BOma.../dp/B0019QFDCY
Old 11-06-15, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I don't recall the book, but it's probably Tales from Jabba's Palace.

There's a shot in ROTJ where you can see what looks like a giant mechanical spider with a brain jar attached. That's one of those monks.
Hmmm I didn't know it was actually in ROTJ. I thought it was something the EU book just made up.

I found a screenshot of it in ROTJ on google. Spoiler tag for size.

Spoiler:

I have seen ROTJ dozens upon dozens of times, and I never once noticed that mechanical spider there before. So is the monk brain thing its actual official story that Lucas came up with or was that just made up for the EU book? Is there anything in Jabba's palace that doesn't have an EU backstory?
Old 11-06-15, 11:30 AM

Pretty much all the background stuff in every movie is just random stuff that Lucas or some costume/set designer thought would look cool. The backstories are filled in by EU authors, because why not, people will buy it.
Old 11-06-15, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,598 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Pretty much all the background stuff in every movie is just random stuff that Lucas or some costume/set designer thought would look cool. The backstories are filled in by EU authors, because why not, people will buy it.
And AFAIK, those EU backstories were all approved by Lucas and company.
Old 11-06-15, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
And now don't mean shit thanks to the Mouse.
Old 11-06-15, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 368 Likes on 297 Posts

The problem with real locations is that you are then limited in what environments you can actually film in. In what real location could you possibly film a water world like Kamino or a volcanic world like Mustafar? Everyone wants a larger variety of environments and not another desert world like Tatooine/Jakku yet again for the hundredth time, but to do more environments you may have to CGI it.
The problem is Mustafar looked like total dog shit and Lucas polluted the environment with droid workers and useless filler so he could create more action figures nobody gives a crap about.
Old 11-06-15, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Korean poster:

Old 11-06-15, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
And now don't mean shit thanks to the Mouse.
Honestly, they never meant much anyway--to me, it was just for fun. Some of those stories were pretty good. I doubt Disney will go in and redo an origin for those creepy monk spiders, so as far as I'm concerned, that's what they are.

I did think the Hammerhead back story was kind of lame--he was always one of my favorite figures as a kid and I had made him one of the top heroes when I used to play with them, because why not, but he had some weird story. He wasn't nearly the badass I had always imagined!
Old 11-06-15, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Apologies if this was already posted...different dialog and footage...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SdAUiyeJMFQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Lots of footage of BB-8 in this one! And kind of cool to see the Storm Troopers with the flame throwers--presumably, that is how they killed Luke's aunt and uncle.
Old 11-06-15, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Draven
Of course they were, because them saying that gets people to buy it, which means they make money. Lucas didn't read and approve it himself and obviously didn't respect it, as he contradicted many things in the EU with the prequels.

Now the new novels are "canon", at least until somebody decides they want to make movie that contradicts them (and they will).
Old 11-06-15, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The huge advertising push of BB-8 makes me think R2D2 isn't going to make it.

I didn't spoiler it because I have no idea if that is a plot point or rumor.
Old 11-06-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh

At one point I thought Disney restated Lucas' quote, about the droids remaining the one constant throughout the franchise.
Old 11-06-15, 02:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Of course they were, because them saying that gets people to buy it, which means they make money. Lucas didn't read and approve it himself and obviously didn't respect it, as he contradicted many things in the EU with the prequels.

Now the new novels are "canon", at least until somebody decides they want to make movie that contradicts them (and they will).
I think Disney will maintain a tighter control of their continuity than Lucasfilm ever did. Does Disney have someone overseeing the whole thing like they have Kevin Feige overseeing the Marvel movies?

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh

Killing R2 would be ultra lame. While I like the droid, I wouldn't care one bit if he died. It certainly wouldn't have anywhere near the same impact that killing Luke, Leia, Han, or Chewie would have.

Anyway, I don't think R2 is going to be replaced. More than likely R2 is going to remain Luke's droid like always, and BB-8 will be Rey's droid. So it's not really an either/or situation. Both can exist.

Hmmm, what if Rey built BB-8? Like grandfather, like granddaughter?
Old 11-06-15, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

The big reveal will be BB-8 is a female droid like her master. R2 will fall in love with her and finally get to use an attachment we have yet to be shown.
Old 11-06-15, 02:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
The big reveal will be BB-8 is a female droid like her master. R2 will fall in love with her and finally get to use an attachment we have yet to be shown.
Then Episode IX will reveal R2 and BB-8 are brother and sister.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.