Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-15, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

^

Marathon price too high.

Edit: El Capitan only $50. I may go.

I wonder why they don't have the prequel 3D conversions.

Last edited by hasslein; 10-23-15 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-20-15, 10:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Originally Posted by Ranger
Seems like the music from this trailer is Rey's theme, like Luke's from ANH.
The music that starts it off? cuz it gets a bit dark w/ the baddie there, then it hits Leia's theme, and last... Luke's theme.

Or are you saying that Luke's theme is hers?
Old 10-20-15, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I mean the music when Maz and Rey talk. It's the same music from the Comic-con trailer, isn't it? So it's probably part of TFA soundtrack.
Old 10-20-15, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I think the English people of "a certain generation" have a lack of something that allows them to enjoy fantasy.
Like J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis?
Old 10-20-15, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Like J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis?
Maggie Smith seemed pretty happy with the Harry Potter movies.
Old 10-21-15, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I bought another pair of tickets to a screening at one of my favorite local theaters. It's a theater that George Lucas has done Private Screenings at previously and has a strong history connected to him and his films.

That means on that Thursday I'll be seeing in 2-D, then 3-D on Friday and then IMAX 3-D on Saturday
Old 10-21-15, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Since Disney owns Lucasfilm can they put Star Wars Blu-ray media into their vaults? I was wondering since the film is getting ready to come out that they would pull a move like removing it from stores until Forece Awakens hits the format then release one of many more sets to come on the format. Or does Fox control distribution.

I never did get the original trilogy on BD and now I may have to.
Old 10-21-15, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
So apparently there's groups of people on various social media websites who want to boycott this film for being anti-white The hash tag #BoycottStarWars is trending.
Welcome to the Repubville. I'm just glad they cast, what it looks like, are solid actors in this one.

The white girl and black man appear to be good casting decisions.

I still can't get over the weak actors that The Creator decided on for the prequels. (I did like Ewan McGregor, though).
Old 10-21-15, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Haven't heard anything about sending SW to the vault, I believe Fox still has ANH (effectively OT) rights for at least a bit more. But I'm not sure who was in charge of the recent box set re-release (with better packaging no doubt, the first release's had illustrations that were laughable). I'm hoping we'll get a better blu-ray/4k set in 2017, the 40th anniversary, plus Ep8 release.
Old 10-21-15, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Since Disney owns Lucasfilm can they put Star Wars Blu-ray media into their vaults? I was wondering since the film is getting ready to come out that they would pull a move like removing it from stores until Forece Awakens hits the format then release one of many more sets to come on the format. Or does Fox control distribution.

20th Century Fox just re-released the entire collection (on BD & DVD) in a Amaray Case last week. Saw a ton at Best Buy when I was there tonight.

Spoiler:
Old 10-21-15, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta say, I'll miss the shit out of the 20th Century Fox fanfare. It's basically a trigger for me to go to nostalgia zone.
Old 10-21-15, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

For those who weren't around for the original release of the OT there's something you should prepare for.
When the principal characters from the OT first appear on screen, a majority of the audience will stand, applauding and cheering, blocking the screen and drowning out the audio. You need to go with a "live event" mentality rather than kick backed movie mentality.
Old 10-21-15, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
For those who weren't around for the original release of the OT there's something you should prepare for.
When the principal characters from the OT first appear on screen, a majority of the audience will stand, applauding and cheering, blocking the screen and drowning out the audio. You need to go with a "live event" mentality rather than kick backed movie mentality.
On the flip side tho, that's the fun of seeing the first show with the hardcore fans. Makes for a completely different experience.
Old 10-21-15, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Haven't heard anything about sending SW to the vault, I believe Fox still has ANH (effectively OT) rights for at least a bit more. But I'm not sure who was in charge of the recent box set re-release (with better packaging no doubt, the first release's had illustrations that were laughable). I'm hoping we'll get a better blu-ray/4k set in 2017, the 40th anniversary, plus Ep8 release.
Fox has ANH rights in perpetuity, I think they have Empire and Jedi rights until 2020.
Old 10-21-15, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hell, when I saw the SEs in theaters, people would cheer when Greedo or Boba Fett showed up. (Of course when Greedo showed up we had no idea what was going to happen next.)
Old 10-21-15, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kgGGvGNaBqA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Can't say I actually watched the game. I had it on mute in the background and glanced over occasionally to see if it was halftime yet.
Old 10-21-15, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Wow, did people really do so for Empire and Jedi? Did this include Vader or just guys?
Old 10-21-15, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm a sucker for a marathon (did the LOTR, Hobbit etc.) and got tix for this - Seven movies in a row is a lot, and yes, I hate TPM and most of Clones, but I want to be there for this epic experience... $60 for 7 movies isn't outrageous. Starts at 4:45am, reserved seating though, so I'll probably show up around 7:30am
Old 10-21-15, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I'm a sucker for a marathon (did the LOTR, Hobbit etc.) and got tix for this - Seven movies in a row is a lot, and yes, I hate TPM and most of Clones, but I want to be there for this epic experience... $60 for 7 movies isn't outrageous. Starts at 4:45am, reserved seating though, so I'll probably show up around 7:30am
Well, since you're arriving later what's the point? technically you'll be paying more per movie than if you were to see them all from the beginning. Do the math and average out the final cost.
Old 10-21-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

If I lived someplace that was showing the marathon I'd probably go. Seven films would be a lot to sit through and I'd probably zone out during parts of the Prequel Trilogy but it'd be a fun experience to do once.
Old 10-21-15, 02:01 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, since you're arriving later what's the point? technically you'll be paying more per movie than if you were to see them all from the beginning. Do the math and average out the final cost.
he wants to get a little extra sleep, skip TPM and first half of AOC, catch 2nd half of AOC, all of ROTS, OT, and finally TFA.

the extra sleep and skipping out TPM is probably worth the extra averaged out cost to him.
Old 10-21-15, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Wow, did people really do so for Empire and Jedi? Did this include Vader or just guys?
People booed at Vader. People stood and cheered when Death Star blows. In Jedi, when Luke's lightsaber shoots out of R2 and Luke catches it, people stood and cheered through the whole fight.
Old 10-21-15, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Of course not. It wasn't really shot on IMAX either. But the studios sure want you to buy up those 3D and IMAX tickets at premium mark-up.

Parts of the movie were shot using 3D cameras. I'm guessing the entire escape from Jakku, for one.
Old 10-21-15, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HN
he wants to get a little extra sleep, skip TPM and first half of AOC, catch 2nd half of AOC, all of ROTS, OT, and finally TFA.

the extra sleep and skipping out TPM is probably worth the extra averaged out cost to him.
Not if he's paying $60 for it.
Old 10-21-15, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Of course not. It wasn't really shot on IMAX either. But the studios sure want you to buy up those 3D and IMAX tickets at premium mark-up.
I thought it was shot in IMAX - that's why I asked if JJ shot it like Nolan. Nolan shot it in real IMAX film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.