Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
This link shows the laser one to be at the Airbus Imax in Chantilly.
http://www.imax.com/community/blog/s...s-on-sale-now/
Yeah, I'd make a weekend out of it, check out DC too.

Non-dome 70mm, mmmm nice. That is even farther than than VA though.
Yup, that's the one. However, according to that link, you can just drive 30 minutes more and go to DC. The Air and Space museum (Lockheed Martin theater) will have it in 70 mm. That's also non-dome, I saw TDKR and Interstellar there.

Last edited by bluetoast; 10-20-15 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-20-15, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

How is it possible for the movie to come out a day before the advertised date? I got my tickets for 11pm on the 17th and there were still even earlier show times!
Old 10-20-15, 02:04 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Questions I have about the trailer:

John Boyega says something in voice over as he takes off his helmet. What does he say exactly? Something like, "I waited all my life." or "I trained all my life." I can't make it out.

Who is the female voice who says, "The force is calling to you" and all the other stuff?
Old 10-20-15, 02:05 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
How is it possible for the movie to come out a day before the advertised date? I got my tickets for 11pm on the 17th and there were still even earlier show times!
Early showings (generally 7pm, 8pm) the night before release date have replaced midnight openings.
Old 10-20-15, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Yup, that's the one. However, according to that link, you can just drive 30 minutes more and go to DC. The Air and Space museum (Lockheed Martin theater) will have it in 70 mm.
Skip Chantilly entirely. I haven't been to DC since I was 12. Would like to get back there, but now reading that the laser system still has less resolution than 70mm. Decisions.
Old 10-20-15, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
When are the new black series 6" action figures going to be in stores?

I already got the 3" TFA set with Rey, Finn, stormtrooper, BB-8, Kylo, Phasma from a store at WDW.
I think they may have been out in limited numbers already. I saw Chewbacca in TFS packaging at Target so the rest were likely there. I've also seen Finn, Kylo Ren and First Order trooper in stock at various points on Amazon.

I have them pre-ordered through BBTS and haven't had anything ship yet.
Old 10-20-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
The midnight screening has crept forward a few hours over the years.
Old 10-20-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Skip Chantilly entirely. I haven't been to DC since I was 12. Would like to get back there, but now reading that the laser system still has less resolution than 70mm. Decisions.
To clarify my post, DC will have the 70 mm, Chantilly will have the laser system. Plus, there's a lot more to do in DC. I think I'll do the 70 mm myself if it warrants a repeat viewing. For now, regular movie theater in Boston for me.
Old 10-20-15, 02:19 PM
Banned

OK, gotcha, I am leaning 70mm.
Old 10-20-15, 02:20 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Star Wars: The Force Awakens is generating “unprecedented ticketing demand,” according to the nation’s largest online ticket seller.

Fandango issued the first glimpse of ticket sales data for the hugely anticipated film. Fandango’s online traffic surged to seven times its typical peak levels, according the company, and pushed advance sales for The Force Awakens to a record-setting first day of pre-sales.

“For Star Wars, we have already sold eight times as many tickets as we did on the first day of sales for the previous record holder,” the company said.

The previous first-day sales record was held by 2012’s The Hunger Games.

“This is an extraordinary time for the industry, which experienced unprecedented ticketing demand last night,” Fandango said. “Movie theaters are continually adding new show times on Fandango to meet the phenomenal demand. The enthusiasm for this year’s most anticipated movie is out of this world and we expect it to continue all the way to its debut on Dec. 18.”

Several major theater chains and ticket sellers (Fandango included) crashed Monday night after tickets were made available.

Another seller, the Alamo Drafthouse chain, notably became the first to issue an apology to fans for their servers crashing despite months of the chain preparing for the sale.

Disney releasing the film’s latest trailer on Monday night doubtless helped fuel fan interest. So far the trailer has been viewed on YouTube 13 million times. Here’s EW’s breakdown of the final Star Wars tease before release on Dec. 18.
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/20...s-ticket-sales
Old 10-20-15, 02:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Questions I have about the trailer:

John Boyega says something in voice over as he takes off his helmet. What does he say exactly? Something like, "I waited all my life." or "I trained all my life." I can't make it out.

Who is the female voice who says, "The force is calling to you" and all the other stuff?
First Question: "I was raised to do one thing"

Sounded clear to me.

Second Question: Possibly Lupita Nyong'o?
Old 10-20-15, 02:40 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake

Sounded clear to me.

Thank you. So does anyone know what the one thing is? Is he really a Storm Trooper? Is he referring to being raised to one thing, be a Storm Trooper?
Old 10-20-15, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 313 Likes on 215 Posts

Non-dome 70mm, mmmm nice. That is even farther than than VA though.
Fair warning about the Branson theater if you're even considering it:
It's an old school IMAX theater so it's film projection and a huge screen (~80ft wide). But it's an old and seemingly never-updated facility, so the theater is pretty shabby. Like "seats falling apart" shabby.
Old 10-20-15, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Thank you. So does anyone know what the one thing is? Is he really a Storm Trooper? Is he referring to being raised to one thing, be a Storm Trooper?
I took it as he was raised to be a Storm Trooper, but that's only my speculation.

Someone said that was Leia talking on the other part, but that doesn't sound like her to me--I suppose I'll just have to watch it again!
Old 10-20-15, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake

Sounded clear to me.

I think "Who are you?" in the beginning is Maz Kanatta (Nyong'o's character) but I think the last female voice over is Leia's.

EDIT: Confirmed by the Disney Insider.

Last edited by Kal-El; 10-20-15 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-20-15, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
That marathon sounds awful. First you have to sit through all the prequels, then you have to watch the butchered OT. By the time the new movie starts, you're likely sick of sitting in your theater seat and won't be able to fully enjoy the experience.
i have done it before for the Lord of the Rings movies... my day was like this

Getting to the movie theater at 5am to get in line for good seats
10am begins movie 1 and ends at 1:30pm.

Movie 2 begins at 4:30 and ends at 7:30.

Final movie begins at 9 and then ended at 1. Didnt get home until 2.

Through the movies, many people were sleeping and snoring through the movies except the for final one.

It was a cool experience but never again. If i were to go to the theater for it. It would just be for specific movies
Old 10-20-15, 03:46 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Apparently VII is Anti White?

Essentially some fans are pissed that this film has a black lead (co-lead?) actor being a focus for the film.

Sarcasm aside... I'm pretty excited to see more visual variety in the cast than previous ones. Sure Lando filled the black quota to the brim of the cup if not spilling over cuz he was the coolest motherfucker ever but... it was still a white man's fantasy w/ mostly white people doing things. Add in that to this day... I'm still annoyed as to when I found out that Darth Vader was a crust old white dude who totally wasn't Darth Vader cuz James Earl Fucking Jones was Darth Vader to me. I know who Jones was cuz of a good amount of movies I saw him in... namely... Conan the Barbarian.

Yeah. We got the old cast. Which is always cool, but we got a black guy, a white gal, and a guatemalan guy being the fresh faces of SW. That's exotic and cool cuz we ain't white man land too much nowadays. Exotic in sad way cuz non white leads in films this size are so rare.
Old 10-20-15, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

PIERS MORGAN: The Force Awakens? Sorry, but Star Wars has sucked for 40 overrated, overhyped, preposterous years

By Piers Morgan For Mail Online

My favorite line:

I’m 50 years old and I’ve not watched a single one of the six Star Wars movies.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3p8xkphhJ
Old 10-20-15, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I re-watched the trailer again and notice a ton of those character-camera sweeping shots a la Michael Bay.
Old 10-20-15, 04:05 PM
Banned

Never watched one of them but knows they suck. That is some divine intelligence.
Old 10-20-15, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Well, since he's never watched a single movie that saves me reading his crap.
Old 10-20-15, 04:20 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

sucked yet has never watched.

fuck you you c u n t y Brit. I hope you die in a fire.
Old 10-20-15, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
That marathon sounds awful. First you have to sit through all the prequels, then you have to watch the butchered OT. By the time the new movie starts, you're likely sick of sitting in your theater seat and won't be able to fully enjoy the experience.
The marathon here in Pittsburgh:

(a) Begins at 1am
(b) Costs $60

Two really easy reasons to pass.
Old 10-20-15, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
Sorry, but Piers Morgan has sucked for 40 overrated, overhyped, preposterous years
Fixed.
Old 10-20-15, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
sucked yet has never watched.

fuck you you c u n t y Brit. I hope you die in a fire.
I usually like British talk show hosts. I seriously don't understand how anyone could like this guy. His show on CNN was completely unwatchable.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.