Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Old 01-30-15, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fis

Originally Posted by windom
Did anyone that actually saw Leia kill Jabba actually survive though? I don't see Leia bragging about killing him.

Also, I still think that the average Hutt should not be morbidly obese like Jabba. Otherwise, Jabba is nothing out of the ordinary for his species. Plus I thought Jabba was killing Jedi when he was younger. Hard to do that if you're a big blob that can barely move around.
Where was it ever said that Jabba killed Jedi. I don't recall ever hearing anything like that before in the EU or in the official canon.

I never thought Jabba was morbidly obese. Hutts are always depicted like that both in the EU and in the official canon. It's as normal for their race as being fat is for pigs. Pigs technically aren't fat fat since that is just normal for them.

There likely weren't any survivors to witness Jabba's death, but it's not hard to piece it together. Jabba had Han frozen in carbonite. Han is then freed, and Jabba dies. That would be a pretty big coincidence. The Hutts are kind of like the Mafia too, and Jabba was one of the bosses. He is basically a Don Corleone. I don't think you could kill him and get away with it that easily.
Old 01-30-15, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fis

Originally Posted by taffer
The Hutts are kind of like the Mafia too, and Jabba was one of the bosses. He is basically a Don Corleone. I don't think you could kill him and get away with it that easily.
So you're telling me Boba was supposed to be Al Neri, but ended up being Fredo? I get it now.
Old 01-30-15, 05:08 PM
Banned

Boba sleeps with the fishes Sarlacc!
Old 01-30-15, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Where was it ever said that Jabba killed Jedi. I don't recall ever hearing anything like that before in the EU or in the official canon.
It must have only been only in the novel and maybe the comic.

From the novel:
Jabba smiled grimly. “Your mind powers will not work on me, boy. I am not affected by your human thought pattern.” Then, as an afterthought: “I was killing your kind when being a Jedi meant something.”
It's one of those things that I misremember as being the actual movie. So I guess it is not canon.

I know that other Hutts have been shown in canon material, but I like the idea of Jabba as an older mafia boss that has given into excesses including food. So while he can't really physically defend himself any longer, he still maintains power over all his underlings who are loyal and willing to kill or die for him.

Also, maybe Jabba had security cameras going inside the sail barge that caught Leia strangling him. Maybe the video was immediately transmitted back to Jabba's palace (or to the "cloud"). That footage could have been retrieved by whomever was left over at Jabba's palace. Luke & Co. should have gone back there any removed any evidence of their presence.
Old 01-30-15, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts

I think originally Jabba was meant to be a fat fuck, but the prequels (and in the EU before them) the Hutts just became a fat race in general.
Old 01-30-15, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Did anyone that actually saw Leia kill Jabba actually survive though? I don't see Leia bragging about killing him.
We never got any real confirmation but I always thought it was pretty well implied that she killed him. She strangled him with the chain and he looked pretty well dead. I think it'd be pretty dumb if that was retconned. I'm kind of indifferent to the idea of new Hutts being introduced. Jabba was cool in the Original Trilogy but it was because he was unique. I don't think we need a bunch of that species around necessarily. I guess it would just depend on how they're being used or like someone else mentioned if possibly some surviving Hutts are after Leia and Han for killing Jabba.
Old 01-30-15, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts

He's talking about any of Jabba's crew being witnesses and alive after the fact, not the issue of killing him.
Old 01-30-15, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
He's talking about any of Jabba's crew being witnesses and alive after the fact, not the issue of killing him.
Wow, I read that totally wrong..
Old 01-30-15, 08:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think Jabba would be considered a large specimen for his species, at the larger end of the spectrum anyway. Certainly as he is in Jedi, he's much smaller in the SE of A New Hope (which was necessary because he was CGI'ed in over a human).
Old 01-30-15, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why does everyone assume all Hutts are gangsters. There've gotta be Hutts out there who run pizza shops and roofing businesses. You think Teddy the Hutt who owns a used-speeder shop on Bespin gives a womprat's fuck what happened to Jabba? That'd be like expecting some random Rodian to have it in for Han because he killed Greedo.
Old 01-30-15, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Given that they were referred to as "the Hutts" in TMP, my assumption was that they were basically a Corleone-type gangster dynasty. There may be a few second cousins who're legitimate, but I'd imagine that they're a huge crime family who own big chunks of Tatooine. I assumed "the Hutts" were a particular family, is it a designation for the whole species?
Old 01-30-15, 10:53 PM
Banned

Yes, Hutt is the name of the species.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hutt

I remember reading Dark Empire long ago. (That is the infamous comic series that brought the Emperor back as a clone.)

It was established in that series that the Hutts are pretty much all gangsters. It was mentioned that they had placed a bounty on Han and Leia for killing Jabba.

Of course that comic series isn't canon, but every Hutt in canon has also been a gangster.
Old 01-30-15, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,216 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
We never got any real confirmation but I always thought it was pretty well implied that she killed him. She strangled him with the chain and he looked pretty well dead. I think it'd be pretty dumb if that was retconned.
That's not how Han remembers it ...
Old 02-01-15, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 596 Likes on 460 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FGl6r5tQYPM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-01-15, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 368 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
I think originally Jabba was meant to be a fat fuck, but the prequels (and in the EU before them) the Hutts just became a fat race in general.
#noexcuses
Old 02-01-15, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,216 Likes on 834 Posts

Too bad "The Biggest Loser" isn't on ABC. We could see a Star Wars crossover with the Hutts.
Old 02-01-15, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PALjbTo1D5U?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-01-15, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FGl6r5tQYPM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Ok, no hyperbole but that was fucking awesome. I think at this point, I would take an anima based film series then a live one. That was really, really great. Does anyone know the background behind this?
Old 02-02-15, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 321 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Why does everyone assume all Hutts are gangsters.
Maybe because Qui Gon said, "The Hutts are gangsters."
Old 02-02-15, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Maybe because Qui Gon said, "The Hutts are gangsters."
No he didn't. Sunda Kastagir from Highlander said that to Bryan Mills.
Old 02-02-15, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 192 Likes on 149 Posts

I seem to remember in an episode of Clone Wars the one of the Hutts speaking with a southern drawl in Basic/English. I also remember seeing a making of special on ROTJ where Jabba's puppet spoke English on set and was dubbed later. It also sounded somewhat southern. Interesting what could have developed...
Old 02-02-15, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I also remember seeing a making of special on ROTJ where Jabba's puppet spoke English on set and was dubbed later. It also sounded somewhat southern.
It was British guy (one of the puppeteers) speaking the lines on set. At the 3:50 mark:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AEBqxLsGbaw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-02-15, 11:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I seem to remember in an episode of Clone Wars the one of the Hutts speaking with a southern drawl in Basic/English.
Ziro the Hutt.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1wPkUtpOL2s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-02-15, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp

I would watch the shit out of a Star Wars anime series.
Old 02-02-15, 03:11 PM
Banned

Most would. Rebels really blows

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.