DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/606070-star-wars-episode-vii-force-awakens-2015-abrams-s-hamill-ford-fisher.html)

Jay G. 11-06-12 04:49 PM

Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Unknown, S: Unknown)

Originally Posted by Terrell (Post 11456360)
Nothing in that interview contradicts what I said.

Let's go back to what you original said.

Originally Posted by Terrell (Post 11455954)
Supermallet, Lucas didn't have any real creative control on Indy IV, aside from the story treatment. He didn't write the script, nor did he direct. Even producing duties were minor, considering there were five other producers. Lucas' producing duties probably consisted of him sitting on his ass. His impact was minimal...

You tried to downplay Lucas's involvement, basically saying he "sat on his ass" after coming up with a story treatment.

However, Lucas had at least veto power, considering he shot down a script Spielberg liked. Normally, script approval is left to the director. However, Lucas's involvement was more than that.

Here's what Lucas said regarding the MacGuffin (Aliens) back in 2008:
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/fe...anajones200802

When Ford and Spielberg both rejected the idea, Lucas dug in. He hired screenwriter after screenwriter to make his MacGuffin the linchpin of a new Indy story. “So this went on for 15 years,” he says. “And finally we got to a point where everybody said, ‘Look, we’re not doing that movie.’ And I said, ‘Well, look, I can’t think of another MacGuffin. This is it. This works. I know this works.’ ...I said, ‘I won’t do it unless we can have that MacGuffin. Without the MacGuffin, I will not go near this thing.’ ”

Ford can laugh about Lucas’s obstinacy now. “He’s a stubborn sucker,” the actor says, “and he had an idea that he kept pushing into script form....

An earlier pass, which Spielberg loved and Lucas didn’t, was written by Frank Darabont, the writer-director of The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and The Mist. I ask Lucas if each version had made use of the prize MacGuffin.

“Mmm-hmmm,” he says. “They’re all the same.”
Lucas came up with the MacGuffin, and he pushed it.

There's also evidence that Lucas was involved in the screenwriting process as well, at the least giving notes. Here's Darabount relaying his experience:
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/04/02...h-lucas-again/

Darabont bows down before Spielberg, saying he "wouldn't hesitate to work with Steven again."

The same can't be said of George Lucas, however, who has probably seen the last of the "Shawshank" scripter...

"Honestly our storytelling sensibilities have diverged to the point where that would be a pointless exercise," he said of Mr. Lucas.
Aside from just the story/script angle though, the common conception is that Lucas and Spielberg are collaborators on the Indy films. Here's an interview with Lucas talking about their relationship:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/fe...as_qanda200802

And in the beginning we had a relationship where, if we had a disagreement, Steven would say, “This is why I think it should be this way,” and I would say, “Well, O.K., look, it’s your movie, you do it the way you want.” “Wait a minute—you’re the producer. It’s your movie. I’ll do it the way you want.” So out of that, we compromised into something that worked, because nobody wanted to do it just because they had the power to do it.

Will he give a cut to you soon?
He’s editing, he’s editing.

Will you take a pass at it?
Well, I’ll go over it. But all I am is a different point of view. I’ve tried to recut his stuff before, and it’s really hard, because he shoots it exactly the way it’s supposed to be... It’s amazing to watch him do it. But we’re friends first and collaborators second.
If you want to absolve Lucas of blame for Indy 4, then you must also deny him credit for any of the previous Indy's, which he also didn't write the screenplay for, didn't direct, and was one of several credited producers.

Originally Posted by Terrell (Post 11456968)
Show me where any of them even stated the story sucked?

I already did, from this interview with Spielberg:
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=32315

I sympathise with people who didn't like the MacGuffin because I never liked the MacGuffin. George and I had big arguments about the MacGuffin. I didn't want these things to be either aliens or inter-dimensional beings. But I am loyal to my best friend. When he writes a story he believes in - even if I don't believe in it - I'm going to shoot the movie the way George envisaged it.

FRwL 11-06-12 10:04 PM

Fuck off with Indiana Jones.

DaveyJoe 11-07-12 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 11456690)
No way. Luke, Leia and Han HAVE to be in at least the first movie of the new trilogy. And while the universe is big, you have to anchor it to something otherwise its an unfocused mess.

Why? Just because you say so, it'll be an unfocused mess? Do all of the EU books focus on those three characters? With a good enough script, you don't need to feature them. If anything I see it more risky to sloppily force them into a new story because fans are expecting/demanding it.

Hokeyboy 11-07-12 03:03 AM

All new characters. We dont need more Luke, Leia, Han, Lando, C3P0, etc. Otherwise these movies will never be able to breathe on their own, and new characters will always have to liveunder the shadow of the"classic" ones.

IMO forced inclusion of older, tired characters will make these movies MORE of a chaotic, unfocused mess. Stop living in the past.

kgrogers1979 11-07-12 03:24 AM

Personally I feel a movie with the "Episode" prefix should be about the Skywalkers. That's what the tradition has always been. I-III was Anakin, IV-VI was Luke, and VII-IX should be Luke's kid(s).

If they want to make other movies featuring other characters, then leave off the "Episode" prefix. For example, if they want to make a KOTOR trilogy just call it Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1, 2, and 3 without any Episode numbering.

That said, I don't want Luke, Leia, and Han to be the primary characters in VII-IX. They should be more in a "passing the torch" kind of role to their children. Something like Luke establishing a new Jedi academy and the Skywalker and Solo kids be there listening to a holocron of how Luke founded it.

Josh-da-man 11-07-12 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 11458094)
Personally I feel a movie with the "Episode" prefix should be about the Skywalkers. That's what the tradition has always been. I-III was Anakin, IV-VI was Luke, and VII-IX should be Luke's kid(s).

If they want to make other movies featuring other characters, then leave off the "Episode" prefix. For example, if they want to make a KOTOR trilogy just call it Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1, 2, and 3 without any Episode numbering.

That said, I don't want Luke, Leia, and Han to be the primary characters in VII-IX. They should be more in a "passing the torch" kind of role to their children. Something like Luke establishing a new Jedi academy and the Skywalker and Solo kids be there listening to a holocron of how Luke founded it.

I agree with this 100%.

Episodes VII-VIII-IX need to be about Luke and/or Leia's children. Each "trilogy" then covers a generation. And the only characters who should appear in all nine should be R2-D2 and C-3PO. Luke, should appear in the new trilogy in a limited capacity as an aged Jedi Master, while the focus is on the new generation. I could also Leia being the President of the New Republic or something, but the primary focus needs to be about the adventures of the new generation.

dex14 11-07-12 08:21 AM

So we know Mark Hamill would be involved if asked... Carrie Fisher has now said shes down... and Harrison Ford is "open" to the idea. This is fantastic. I mean this in the nicest way...but I hope Hamill and Fisher atleast attempt to slim down and get into shape.

Troy Stiffler 11-07-12 08:25 AM

I'd still rather see an entirely new story.

Xander 11-07-12 09:24 AM

I would be okay with the original characters being in the first movie and passing the torch, or whatever you want to call it. But yeah, it should be a totally new story with new characters, mostly.

And I really want to see the Milennium Falcon on the big screen again! :rock2:

Hokeyboy 11-07-12 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 (Post 11458094)

I got no problem with this. :up:

I like the idea of new movies, and even more, I like the idea of a saga rather than "trilogies". Get an idea, build on it, leave it room to grow but don't lock yourself into a three-movie structure just because you feel you "have" to. Look at the original Star Wars. Even if it never took off and became a phenomenon, it would have been a fantastic "one and done" movie. Told a great story, left room for more, but if it ended right then and there, dayenu.

LosingMyMind 11-07-12 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by troystiffler (Post 11458205)
I'd still rather see an entirely new story.

So you're in luck. If you don't want more of the Skywalkers, skip this new trilogy and see one of the 50 other Star Wars movies that will be out after those.

TGM 11-07-12 11:21 AM

http://i.imgur.com/z5Wjn.jpg

devilshalo 11-07-12 01:44 PM

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/5183/sww2010.jpg

Meglos 11-07-12 02:20 PM

http://i.imgur.com/gw4iM.jpg

Hokeyboy 11-07-12 02:22 PM

^Uhh, a-who's dis?

pinata242 11-07-12 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Strevlac (Post 11450788)
Who is that?

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11450813)
M. Knight Shyamalan

Originally Posted by Strevlac (Post 11450828)
:rimshot:

Is that JJ Abrams?

Originally Posted by wishbone (Post 11450831)
Beth

Originally Posted by Strevlac (Post 11450836)
:gah: That's it. I'm going home.

Originally Posted by Sondheim (Post 11450842)
Spoiler:
Tommy Wiseau (I think)

Sonic 11-07-12 02:23 PM

How much you want to make a bet they will make C3PO with a beard.

Jay G. 11-07-12 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sonic (Post 11458770)
How much you want to make a bet they will make C3PO with a beard.

I thought R2D2 was his beard?

Timber 11-07-12 03:22 PM

All this Star Wars talk has me jones to play KoTOR. Funny that it doesn't have me wanting to watch the movies. IMO Knights is the best thing to come out of the franchise since 1980.

Meglos 11-07-12 03:47 PM

My apologies for not reading the previous twenty pages of this thread before posting a picture of Tommy Wiseau.

In all probability this will probably happen again.

bluetoast 11-07-12 04:23 PM

What I find more amusing is that people are expected to know who the hell that guy is.

DaveyJoe 11-07-12 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 11458779)
I thought R2D2 was his beard?

Uh.. that would be like Tom Cruise choosing John Travolta to be his beard.

andy434343 11-07-12 07:04 PM

I can't believe that they did that thing with the fridge.

I can deal with the aliens, but that fridge was fucking ridiculous.

FRwL 11-07-12 07:09 PM

Anytime Lucas says "MacGuffin" i wish someone would slap him.

Lt Ripley 11-07-12 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by FRwL (Post 11459156)
Anytime Lucas says "MacGuffin" i wish someone would slap him.

I've wanted someone to slap him since 1997.