Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-14, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fis

Come on, in this day and age, how could someone not know there was a SW movie coming with the big three?

New rumor is teaser will be attached to the Hobbit 3. I think this one will be correct.
Old 11-19-14, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fis

The original cast returning did make the mainstream news, CNN, etc... But obviously it hasn't reached everyone yet. I will be disappointed (and surprised) if they don't have any shots of the original cast in the teaser... a falcon shot at the end isn't enough for everyone to make the connection.
Old 11-19-14, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Come on, in this day and age, how could someone not know there was a SW movie coming with the big three?

New rumor is teaser will be attached to the Hobbit 3. I think this one will be correct.
I dunno really aside from the fanboy hype online there doesn't seem to be a ton of buzz about this film yet honestly. The Prequel Trilogy and even the Special Edition re-release of the Original Trilogy seemed to have way more hype before they were coming out. Granted I realize its a year off but still. I attribute some of it to Abrams being really secretive (almost too much at times honestly) and that some people who were let down by the prequels not caring as much about the next Star Wars film. I'm sure that'll change by next year though.
Old 11-20-14, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Considering it is a year away, they hype won't start getting huge until probably next summer.
Old 11-20-14, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I know many friends (who grew up big SW fans) who had no idea the original cast was returning for Episode 7. The PT turned them off so much, they just stop caring about SW altogether. Now don't get me wrong, they still love the Original Films, but they never bitched about the PT years after like many of us on the internet, they just walked away altogether.

As I said in an earlier post, once that first teaser premieres and they see Han, Luke and Leia, they will get juiced. Trust me, without Han, Luke and Leia being in Episode 7, I don't think many of my friends would care about it. Even though they are not the main focus of the ST, its a brilliant strategy by Disney to have the Big 3 return. You hook all of the OT fans back for Episode 7 who were on the fence because of the PT, and then they transition to the new characters for Episode 8 & 9. If Episode 7 knocks it out of the ballpark, then they will want to come back for the remaining 2 movies despite the fact that Han, Luke and Leia maybe secondary or not involved at all.
Old 11-20-14, 08:03 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I pretty much don't watch TV, and have avoided this thread until now.
Old 11-20-14, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I dunno really aside from the fanboy hype online there doesn't seem to be a ton of buzz about this film yet honestly. The Prequel Trilogy and even the Special Edition re-release of the Original Trilogy seemed to have way more hype before they were coming out. Granted I realize its a year off but still. I attribute some of it to Abrams being really secretive (almost too much at times honestly) and that some people who were let down by the prequels not caring as much about the next Star Wars film. I'm sure that'll change by next year though.
Didn't Abrams admit that the whole Khan in ST Into Darkness was overdone? Hopefully he learned his lesson from that.
Old 11-20-14, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

And just like that, Disney dismissses rumors of teaser being attached to the Hobbit. Says it's bigger than that. Only other thing I can think of is puttig it on ABC with Shield next month.

Edit: I hope they don't mean the super bowl.
Old 11-20-14, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Considering it is a year away, they hype won't start getting huge until probably next summer.
The Star Wars Celebration (in Anaheim) is scheduled for mid-April...that's most likely when Disney will begin their marketing onslaught. (And, yes, I'm going )

I'm guessing the first teaser trailer will debut online on Dec. 18. Just makes sense.
Old 11-20-14, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I'm guessing it'll be tied to Into the Woods movie coming out near or on Xmas.

Edit: because that's the only way you're going to get 2.5M grown men into the theater to see that flick
Old 11-20-14, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V
I'm guessing it'll be tied to Into the Woods movie coming out near or on Xmas.

Edit: because that's the only way you're going to get 2.5M grown men into the theater to see that flick
I hope we get another instance where people pay to see the trailer and then walk out before the movie starts...didn't that happen with THE PHANTOM MENACE trailer? I want to say the movie was MEET JOE BLACK, but I could be remembering wrong.
Old 11-20-14, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I want to say the movie was MEET JOE BLACK, but I could be remembering wrong.
That was one of them, it was also showing for the Waterboy which I chose to see instead because it was shorter and the trailer was shown after the movie as well.
Old 11-20-14, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I hope we get another instance where people pay to see the trailer and then walk out before the movie starts...didn't that happen with THE PHANTOM MENACE trailer? I want to say the movie was MEET JOE BLACK, but I could be remembering wrong.
I paid a ticket to watch Wing Commander in theaters.
Old 11-20-14, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Wasn't the second TPM trailer attached to Wing Commander? I remember paying to see that.

And for some reason, I thought the first trailer was attached to The Waterboy.
Old 11-20-14, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

It was Meet Joe Black.

And I paid to see Wing Commander for Wing Commander(don't recall a SW trailer on it). Went with friends, it was the only movie I've ever walked out on. Wandered around the lobby for a half hour to kill some time.
Old 11-20-14, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

"Chewie, we're back home!"

-Han Solo
Old 11-21-14, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Wasn't the second TPM trailer attached to Wing Commander? I remember paying to see that.
It ran before it in some markets, but it was not attached. I remember being disappointed that it did not play before my showing.
Old 11-21-14, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I attribute some of it to Abrams being really secretive (almost too much at times honestly) and that some people who were let down by the prequels not caring as much about the next Star Wars film.
The Hollywood Reporter put out an interesting article about the unprecedented lengths the studio went to in order to keep the film on lockdown (even getting the British government to shut down the airspace over Greenham Common and attempting to buy a drone shield to alert them of potential UAV photography:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ode-vii-750002

My favorite part of the article is the bit concerning the guy who climbed a tree to take set pictures and then refused to climb down for three hours after a production manager showed up with some policemen.

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
It ran before it in some markets, but it was not attached. I remember being disappointed that it did not play before my showing.
I saw Wing Commander for that very reason and the full trailer was attached. I also remember going to see Enemy of the State because I'd read a report online that the teaser was playing with that (in addition to Meet Joe Black), but they didn't show it.
Old 11-21-14, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by joe_b
I saw Wing Commander for that very reason and the full trailer was attached. I also remember going to see Enemy of the State because I'd read a report online that the teaser was playing with that (in addition to Meet Joe Black), but they didn't show it.
A trailer running before a movie is not the same thing as it being attached. I'm glad you saw it, but it wasn't attached. When you say a trailer is attached, that means it literally comes from the studio with it attached to the film and it will run before all showings regardless of where it is playing. This usually only happens with features from the same studio. Anything else that runs before a movie could be different depending on the theater you saw it at.
Old 11-21-14, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
When you say a trailer is attached, that means it literally comes from the studio with it attached to the film and it will run before all showings regardless of where it is playing.
I remember the AotC teaser was most definitely "attached" to Monsters, Inc., even playing after the "For the Birds" short that ran after all the other trailers. However, there were still numerous reports from fans that it never played at some theaters.
Old 11-21-14, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There are reports going around that the teaser will definitely be attached to the new HOBBIT film. But Disney may be releasing it earlier than that online.
Old 11-21-14, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

As big as The Hobbit is going to be, I still think Disney may want this to hit the internet all at once and as hard as they can. They don't want any shakycam versions filling up Youtube, they'd rather run it through their official channels and get all eyes on the same page.
Old 11-21-14, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by joe_b
I remember the AotC teaser was most definitely "attached" to Monsters, Inc., even playing after the "For the Birds" short that ran after all the other trailers. However, there were still numerous reports from fans that it never played at some theaters.
Theaters could take it out, of course, but I would think that doing so would technically violate terms of the exhibition agreement with the studio.
Old 11-21-14, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Heck, they could sell the first trailer on BluRay for $5 or $10, and most of us would buy it!
Old 11-21-14, 12:48 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

maybe in 1988 but not now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.