Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Old 04-29-14, 05:41 AM
  #3076  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,764
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
The big surprise, I’m told, is that Ford has a gigantic role in the first of the next three films. Disney hasn’t been commenting on any of this, and today’s no different. Stay tuned
This is huge news and it really makes me wish that Lucas would have done the ST back in the 80's when Ford, Fisher and Hamill were still in their prime. The original plan was Lucas to do the ST beginning in the mid 80's after taking a few years off after ROTJ, then do the PT in the 90's. But Lucas pretty much scratched it after his divorce and ending everything in ROTJ. I remember reading in 1987 Starlog when I was in 8th grade that the ST was dead, and being so pissed. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I always wanted the ST instead of the PT after ROTJ, as how Darth Vader became to be didn't interest me as much as more adventures of Luke, Leia and Han and their offspring.

I do wonder how this trilogy will flow if the Big 3 have such a huge role in Episode 7, and then the kids take over in Episode 8 & 9, and they are a letdown the same way the PT characters were? At this point, I wonder if you just make the whole trilogy about Han, Luke, and Leia and their kids have minor roles?
mcnabb is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 06:37 AM
  #3077  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
joe_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,114
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

I certainly don't want Han to be the main character or have disproportionally more screen time than Luke -- even if this is Ford's swan song as the character. If the big three are indeed the central characters, I hope they balance their roles as evenly as the OT.

A new Total Film article mentions that the Oscar Isaac negotiations have already stalled because the actor has prior theater commitments he is unable to break. Also, Carrie Fisher was photographed in London last night with her friend Graham Norton. Then she ended the night with a Tweet about her dog and shout out to all her followers:
Originally Posted by @carrieffisher
Gary über okay with UK. G' nite, my glorious phuqueTards
Mmmkay...

Spoiler:
joe_b is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 07:12 AM
  #3078  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 10,280
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Carrie Fisher sounds like she'll be a pleasure to work with. Maybe they'll kill her off too.

You'd think that somebody who hasn't had a steady gig since the mid-80's would be dying to return to the role that made her famous --- and she'd be gracious in doing so. Her tweets make her sound like a crazy cat lady or a 15 year old high school student who needs attention. She's embarassing.
Rob V is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 07:24 AM
  #3079  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,584
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
The Deadline article is the first time I've heard Oscar Isaac's name brought up. He might be too old to be a Solo, but I can kind of see it. It seems every other actor who hasn't been ruled out for a hero role is either black or multi-racial. I know adoption is always a possibly, but I'm starting to doubt that Han and Leia will have any children in this movie.
Who said the Solo kids have to be heroes? In the EU, one of them became a Sith Lord.


Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
Due to the backlash of the prequels, they're making damn sure that no one under the age of 20 will appear in these movies.
Episode VII is 30 years after ROTJ. Therefore the kids aren't actually kids, but rather young adults in their 20s.
taffer is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 07:48 AM
  #3080  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
joe_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,114
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
Who said the Solo kids have to be heroes? In the EU, one of them became a Sith Lord.
We know nothing about what role (if any) potential offspring will play in these movies. I'm only going by the casting rumors, which indicate actors like Boyega and Richardson-Sellers are up for "the lead roles". That seems to indicate they are the next generation characters who will inherit the lightsaber from Luke Skywalker, but it's all speculation until Disney finally announces something.

Unless there are multiple villains (always two there are ), it seems Darth Driver is our guy... or at least the closest thing to a confirmation any of the trades have given us so far. With his unique look, I really doubt Adam is portraying one of the Solo/Skywalker kids.
joe_b is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 08:01 AM
  #3081  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,584
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
We know nothing about what role (if any) potential offspring will play in these movies. I'm only going by the casting rumors, which indicate actors like Boyega and Richardson-Sellers are up for "the lead roles". That seems to indicate they are the next generation characters who will inherit the lightsaber from Luke Skywalker, but it's all speculation until Disney finally announces something.

Unless there are multiple villains (always two there are ), it seems Darth Driver is our guy... or at least the closest thing to a confirmation any of the trades have given us so far. With his unique look, I really doubt Adam is portraying one of the Solo/Skywalker kids.
I don't know who Adam Driver is, but I looked him up on wikipedia, and he's 30 years old. He could still be a Solo kid if he was born shortly after ROTJ since VII is 30 years later. Or he could play someone slightly younger since actors don't always play their age.

Adam Driver



Jacen Solo/Darth Caedus

taffer is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 08:27 AM
  #3082  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,764
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
Carrie Fisher sounds like she'll be a pleasure to work with. Maybe they'll kill her off too.

You'd think that somebody who hasn't had a steady gig since the mid-80's would be dying to return to the role that made her famous --- and she'd be gracious in doing so. Her tweets make her sound like a crazy cat lady or a 15 year old high school student who needs attention. She's embarassing.
Hasn't she always been a nutcase? Wasn't there rumors that she was all coked up during ESB & ROTJ filming? She grew up with 2 famous parents, and I believe her dad (Eddie Fisher) left her mom (Debbie Reynolds) for Liz Taylor? She has pretty much been dysfunctional her whole life.
mcnabb is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 08:28 AM
  #3083  
DVD Talk Legend
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,331
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

I will be severely disappointed if they cast anybody from Star Trek, Lost and/or Felicity...
TheMovieman is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 08:57 AM
  #3084  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
joe_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,114
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

I don't see why they would even bother announcing that they were ignoring the EU if they plan to go the "Darth Caedus" route and have one of the Solo children fall to the darkside. I know Lucas intended these trilogies to rhyme "like poetry", so this is probably the exact type of storyline we can expect for the new trilogy... but hopefully Abrams/Kasdan defy expectations and come up with something more original. I'm not betting on it, though.
joe_b is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 09:00 AM
  #3085  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Illadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,971
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
I don't see why they would even bother announcing that they were ignoring the EU if they plan to go the "Darth Caedus" route and have one of the Solo children fall to the darkside. I know Lucas intended these trilogies to rhyme "like poetry", so this is probably the exact type of storyline we can expect for the new trilogy... but hopefully Abrams/Kasdan defy expectations and come up with something more original. I'm not betting on it, though.
yeah, I thought the whole point of them squashing the EU at this time was to prep the fanboys on significant changes to the Solo/Skywalker lineages in the upcoming casting announcements.
Oliver Clothesoff is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 09:07 AM
  #3086  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,584
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Ignoring the EU just means they aren't going to adapt any of the stories. It doesn't mean that they can't use characters or other elements from the EU at all though.

So basically they aren't going to directly adapt the Thrawn trilogy, but they could use Thrawn as a character in a new story. Same with Jacen Solo or any of the other Solo/Skywalker kids.

The prequel trilogy took some things from the EU. Ki-Adi-Mundi (the conehead Jedi) was originally from the EU. Coruscant first appeared in the Thrawn trilogy. Even the double-bladed lightsaber had it's first appearance in a comic book series from 1994.
taffer is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 09:13 AM
  #3087  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Illadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,971
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
The role of Lando will now be played by Tommy Lee Jones.
I'm holding out hope that Lando will show up and his character will be like Jon Voight's character in Heat. I can totally see BDW nailing that.
Oliver Clothesoff is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 09:14 AM
  #3088  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 12,843
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
This is huge news and it really makes me wish that Lucas would have done the ST back in the 80's when Ford, Fisher and Hamill were still in their prime. The original plan was Lucas to do the ST beginning in the mid 80's after taking a few years off after ROTJ, then do the PT in the 90's. But Lucas pretty much scratched it after his divorce and ending everything in ROTJ. I remember reading in 1987 Starlog when I was in 8th grade that the ST was dead, and being so pissed. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I always wanted the ST instead of the PT after ROTJ, as how Darth Vader became to be didn't interest me as much as more adventures of Luke, Leia and Han and their offspring.

I do wonder how this trilogy will flow if the Big 3 have such a huge role in Episode 7, and then the kids take over in Episode 8 & 9, and they are a letdown the same way the PT characters were? At this point, I wonder if you just make the whole trilogy about Han, Luke, and Leia and their kids have minor roles?
(bolding) I'm right with you. I guess that's partially why the prequels don't bother me so much. I never really had my hopes up for them so what we got was good enough for me (and both of the Clone Wars series outshine all three movies, so I also have that).

Now, I have the advantage of age and experience, and while I'm keeping my expectations somewhat in check, I still can't help feeling excited for these. But the bar has been lowered, so even if these don't re-define space opera like the originals did, I should still be able to enjoy them.
milo bloom is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 09:32 AM
  #3089  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,607
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
Ignoring the EU just means they aren't going to adapt any of the stories. It doesn't mean that they can't use characters or other elements from the EU at all though.
That's not all that it means. Sure they CAN use some things from the EU if they want, but they can (and likely will) totally contradict portions the EU, as they don't want to be beholden to that continuity to tell the stories that they want to tell, especially when 90% of the audience is largely unfamiliar with the EU.
Obi-Wan Jabroni is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 09:49 AM
  #3090  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
joe_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,114
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
So basically they aren't going to directly adapt the Thrawn trilogy, but they could use Thrawn as a character in a new story. Same with Jacen Solo or any of the other Solo/Skywalker kids.

The prequel trilogy took some things from the EU. Ki-Adi-Mundi (the conehead Jedi) was originally from the EU. Coruscant first appeared in the Thrawn trilogy. Even the double-bladed lightsaber had it's first appearance in a comic book series from 1994.
I have zero expectations we'll see Thrawn or any other EU villain in the sequel trilogy, even if some of the new characters draw parallels to pre-existing creations. If we see any Solo children in the new movie, there is no reason to name them Jacen or Jaina. Since they're doing their own thing with the storyline, it would only serve to confuse people who followed the books and send mixed messages on what is now considered "canon".

As for Coruscant, Lucas alluded to a capital planet years before Zahn ever published the first book. George likely signed off on the name with the full intention of using it in the prequels. Mundi was also designed specifically for The Phantom Menace and his first appearance in the EU (in a comic book, I believe) came only a few months before that film premiered. As for the double-bladed saber, well... that was just too damn cool to not put in a movie.

Last edited by joe_b; 04-29-14 at 09:56 AM.
joe_b is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 09:50 AM
  #3091  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,584
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
That's not all that it means. Sure they CAN use some things from the EU if they want, but they can (and likely will) totally contradict portions the EU, as they don't want to be beholden to that continuity to tell the stories that they want to tell, especially when 90% of the audience is largely unfamiliar with the EU.
Yes, I know the movies can contradict the EU, and I fully expect them too. If they use Jacen Solo, I don't expect him to be the same as from the EU.

The prequel trilogy has already contradicted the heck out of the EU. The Thrawn trilogy goes into detail about the Clone Wars, and it's nothing like the Clone Wars from the prequels. Boba Fett's origin in the prequels is nothing like Boba's EU origin. There were also married Jedi prior to the prequels being written.

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
I have zero expectations we'll see Thrawn or any other EU villain in the sequel trilogy, even if some of the new characters draw parallels to pre-existing creations.
I don't expect to see Thrawn in the sequel trilogy either. I was just using that as an example of using an EU character in a new story. Disney is going to make more than just the VII-IX trilogy though. We could see Thrawn in a later movie. Although what I really want to see is a KOTOR movie. Darth Revan and Malak on the big screen? Hell yes!
taffer is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 09:53 AM
  #3092  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: toledo oh
Posts: 1,268
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

I'm glad they are not going the cute teenie bopper way. But I think they went to far the other way though, some ugly motherfuckers. Only thing missing is that K.D Lang look a-like from the Fantastic 4 reboot.
banthafett is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 09:55 AM
  #3093  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,080
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
Ignoring the EU just means they aren't going to adapt any of the stories. It doesn't mean that they can't use characters or other elements from the EU at all though.

So basically they aren't going to directly adapt the Thrawn trilogy, but they could use Thrawn as a character in a new story. Same with Jacen Solo or any of the other Solo/Skywalker kids.

The prequel trilogy took some things from the EU. Ki-Adi-Mundi (the conehead Jedi) was originally from the EU. Coruscant first appeared in the Thrawn trilogy. Even the double-bladed lightsaber had it's first appearance in a comic book series from 1994.
Fun fact: the Mace Windu character is based on an action figure that came out several months before The Phantom Menace was released.
Guru Askew is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 10:04 AM
  #3094  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
joe_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,114
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Originally Posted by banthafett View Post
Only thing missing is that K.D Lang look a-like from the Fantastic 4 reboot.
Mr. Rachel Maddow? He did audition for this movie.

joe_b is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 10:20 AM
  #3095  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sean O'Hara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vichy America
Posts: 13,535
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
I don't see why they would even bother announcing that they were ignoring the EU if they plan to go the "Darth Caedus" route and have one of the Solo children fall to the darkside.
Same reason Abrams denied Khan was in Into Darkness -- to counteract spoilers. By making a big deal about discarding the EU, then any elements that they do appropriate for the film will be a surprise to the audience.
Sean O'Hara is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 11:30 AM
  #3096  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,764
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post

Now, I have the advantage of age and experience, and while I'm keeping my expectations somewhat in check, I still can't help feeling excited for these. But the bar has been lowered, so even if these don't re-define space opera like the originals did, I should still be able to enjoy them.
I feel the same way as I get excited when I read anything about Ford, Fisher and Hamill because I never thought it would happen. In saying that, nothing will ever equal the OT (or atleast Star Wars and Empire), so as long as you go in not expecting the 2nd coming, I think these could be much better received by the fanbase this time.

I will always say that the characters of the PT were the real problem, and all of the other arguments were secondary. I argued with friends back in 1998 that we were all walking into the same universe with new characters, and it wouldn't be the same. It is very hard to duplicate great characters, and when I didn't care about Anakin or Padme by the end of Episode II, I knew the PT would never work for me. That is my one fear about the ST is that Episode 7 features Han, Luke and Leia again and atleast we have those loveable characters to follow for 2 hours, and then in Episode 8 the new generation of Skywalkers don't connect with us the same way their grandparents didnt in the PT.
mcnabb is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 11:43 AM
  #3097  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
joe_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,114
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Holy crap, here it is:

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-e...announced.html



The Star Wars team is thrilled to announce the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII.

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

Director J.J. Abrams says, "We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud."

Star Wars: Episode VII is being directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams. Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, and John Williams returns as the composer. The movie opens worldwide on December 18, 2015.
MAX VON SYDOW!!!
joe_b is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 11:44 AM
  #3098  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 12,843
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Official
The Star Wars team is thrilled to announce the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII.
Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.
http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-e...announced.html


Can somebody find some pics of the new people? I only know Andy Serkis (and van Sydow by name).

edit: looks like joe b put up a group pic.
milo bloom is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 11:47 AM
  #3099  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Just South of Nowhere
Posts: 637
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Andy Serkis!!
ardathbey is offline  
Old 04-29-14, 11:48 AM
  #3100  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 32,870
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Sorry to the haters, but I just got chills seeing that pic.
TomOpus is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.