DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/606070-star-wars-episode-vii-force-awakens-2015-abrams-s-hamill-ford-fisher.html)

Kal-El 11-14-13 03:14 PM

Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

First pre-production photo:

http://comingsoon.net/nextraimages/R2BTS.jpg

Linky

DaveyJoe 11-14-13 03:25 PM

Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

It's nice to see one of the original cast members bothered to keep in shape.

Kal-El 11-19-13 05:02 PM

More info on the R2 unit being used for EpVII:

It's fan made.

I think that's pretty awesome.

Supermallet 11-19-13 05:16 PM

That IS awesome. Good for them!

dex14 11-25-13 03:35 PM

Director J.J. Abrams and producer Kathleen Kennedy are casting the net far and wide, meeting actors in the U.S., the U.K. and Australia. The duo is looking in particular for a tough-cookie girl in the 17- to 18-year-old range and a charismatic, funny guy from 19 to 23. "We don't want to leave any stone unturned," U.K. casting agent Kate Bone told the BBC. With the movie now being rewritten by Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan, sources say producers also are looking to fill a new role: a 40-something military man a la Matt Damon in Elysium.

DaveyJoe 11-25-13 03:40 PM

Yeah, good luck with the 2015 opening.

Josh-da-man 11-25-13 06:13 PM

This was announced over a year ago and they sill don't have a script or cast.

I've got a bad feeling about this...

slop101 11-25-13 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Kal-El (Post 11916000)
More info on the R2 unit being used for EpVII:

It's fan made.

I think that's pretty awesome.

Considering all the crazy StarWars fanatics out there, they could probably get a lot of this movie done for free by them and save a shit-ton of money. Too bad about union laws...

lopper 11-25-13 09:12 PM

I'd be willing to bet that things are a lot further along than we realize. At least I hope they are...

hanshotfirst1138 11-26-13 08:14 AM

2015 is going to be insane.

Ranger 11-26-13 09:50 PM

Why can't they use the R2 from the prequels? I think R2 was CGI just a few times in the prequels.

redrum 11-30-13 12:40 AM

https://static.squarespace.com/stati.../1000w/sw5.jpg

Hazel Motes 11-30-13 04:21 AM

If Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill are still out of shape when they start filming, I wonder if J.J will change the role like Brando in Apocalypse Now. Hamill could be Jabba's sucessor.

Osiris3657 01-05-14 03:49 PM

Per Jo-Blo:

One Star Wars Spin-Off to focus on Boba Fett

JJ Abrams' "Star Wars: Episode VII" is set to hit theaters on December 18th, 2015. The film will be the first installment in a trilogy and will spin-off into other films focusing on specific "Star Wars" characters.

There have been rumors that the spin-off movies will revolve around Yoda and Han Solo. But now comes word from Jon Schnepp, the director of animated series "Metalocalypse" and "The Venture Bros," that one of them will definitely focus on Boba Fett.

"One of them is Boba Fett. It is. I know. I know for a fact," he said. "I will never reveal my source, but it is the one written by Lawrence Kasdan."

Kasdan is actually the writer of "Star Wars: Episode V - Empire Strikes Back," the movie that introduced Boba Fett. So, it seems logical for Kasdan to handle the spin-off as well.

We already know that the spin-offs will be origin stories, so expect to see Boba Fett in his early years as a bounty hunter. If the movie will be the first spin-off, then it will hit theaters in 2016, one year after "Episode VII."

Jason 01-05-14 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 11967461)

Kasdan is actually the writer of "Star Wars: Episode V - Empire Strikes Back," the movie that introduced Boba Fett. So, it seems logical for Kasdan to handle the spin-off as well.

Yes, the man who wrote five lines of dialog for him thirty-four years ago is obviously the right man to handle a Boba Fett movie.

Solid Snake 01-05-14 04:24 PM

I think Boba Fett is an overrated piece of shit but he was cool for like 6 minutes or whatever he was there for. I'd be interested for sure to see wtf Kasdan could do with this.

Michael Corvin 01-05-14 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 11967502)
Yes, the man who wrote five lines of dialog for him thirty-four years ago is obviously the right man to handle a Boba Fett movie.

:lol: This was going to be my exact post. Also wasn't it a single line in ESB?

Jason 01-05-14 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 11967511)
:lol: This was going to be my exact post. Also wasn't it a single line in ESB?

My google search said five lines.

Personally, I remember him telling Vader "as you wish" on the star destroyer when told no disintegrations, and whining about how Solo is useless to him dead on Bespin. I don't think he said a thing other than a Wilhelm scream in ROTJ.

Edit:

Found this. Looks like four lines, five sentences.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gPbBEc4MvNo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaveyJoe 01-05-14 06:56 PM

Boba Fett does not deserve a movie.

DthRdrX 01-05-14 06:59 PM

Boba was cool as shit in TESB. ROTJ is what broke him.

Supermallet 01-05-14 07:24 PM

I hope it's Boba Fett in college.

bunkaroo 01-05-14 07:33 PM

No Daniel Logan, no sale.

Jay G. 01-05-14 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 11967502)

Well, to be fair, he also wrote the actions that Boba Fett did in the movie, such as waiting behind when the Empire Fleet jumped so he could find and follow Han Solo, then jumping ahead and alerting the Empire.

That said, Boba Fett isn't much of a character in the film, there's just enough of him to be interesting. Maybe Kasden had the character more figured out in his head, but just wrote what was needed for the film. So it might be interesting to see Kasden's take on a more fully fleshed-out Fett; but then again it might be interesting to see someone else's take on him to.

Some issues with a Boba Fett movie though:

1) If the spin-off has to be faithful to the prequels, the already in-place backstory may keep him from being as interesting as he could.
2) If the movie is focused on him, that's make him the protagonist. While it may be interesting to see a movie set in the Star Wars universe featuring an anti-hero, I'm worried Disney may want to soften him up to make the character more palatable a protagonist.

hanshotfirst1138 01-05-14 07:44 PM

I think that's a legitimate worry. What's interesting about what little of that character there is is the idea of this sort of Jonah Hex/Man With No Name/Parker type amorality. Seeing how crime and bounty hunting work in the far reaches of the galaxy would be cool, but you'd need a specific type of director and movie for that, and I don't see something like that being the kind of thing Disney would be likely to greenlight.

mcnabb 01-06-14 06:12 AM

I do agree with the argument, "If you aren't interested, then just don't see it." So if they make the Boba Fett movie, I definetly won't be interested.

In saying that, I think because of the Prequels, you are sort of locked into a Boba Fett story that wasn't there before 2002. Maybe you could have made a more interesting story about Boba Fett before Attack of the Clones, but now that we know his heritage, I really think Lucas ruined the character.

As Patton Oswald said if he met George Lucas in 1994 before the Prequels were made and found out Boba Fett was in there:

Patton Oswald: Holy Shit George, I fucking love Boba Fett! Tell me what does he do in the Prequels?

George Lucas: Well...he is just a little boy....and he is sad....because his dad dies.

Patton Oswald: Ummm....I just don't really care that he is sad? That really sounds fucking stupid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDCjIjsZp_Y