DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/606070-star-wars-episode-vii-force-awakens-2015-abrams-s-hamill-ford-fisher.html)

superdeluxe 11-07-13 04:43 PM

Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 11900426)
Seems sort of odd they're going for a winter release rather than a summer one. Maybe they're trying to avoid some of the summer competition as 2015 is already pretty packed for big movies. Either that or they're just trying to push it off as far as they can so they have enough time to finish and meet the 2015 goal.

Disney is trying to capture the Summer and Holiday Season of 2015. But also delaying it a few months to make sure it gets done correctly also a great idea. I really don't think Star Wars worries about who it is going up against, more likely other movies worry where Star Wars lands.

Josh-da-man 11-07-13 06:34 PM

Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 11900375)
deadlines spur creativity. I'm not worried.

Yeah. Sort of. Sometimes.

It's a little unsettling knowing that they have a release date that's two years from now and they don't have a script or cast yet.

It might spur creativity. It might be a clusterfuck like the POTC or Matrix sequels.

joe_b 11-07-13 06:53 PM

I think it will do better long-term business in the winter. Just look at Titanic and Avatar. If Episode VII manages to capture even half the magic of the original trilogy, it might just be a contender for highest grossing movie ever... and even if it's a piece of garbage it will still make a mint.

Dr. DVD 11-07-13 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by joe_b (Post 11900637)
I think it will do better long-term business in the winter. Just look at Titanic and Avatar. If Episode VII manages to capture even half the magic of the original trilogy, it might just be a contender for highest grossing movie ever... and even if it's a piece of garbage it will still make a mint.

This. Summer has become so loaded with blockbusters that it's hard to maintain past two weekends. Releasing this when they are means that they will :
1)Be the MUST see holiday movie and
2) Most likely maintain the top spot up into February and
3) Have the top selling toys for that holiday season .

I kind of like this personally. Given Lord of the Rings, Avatar, and The Hobbit, the holiday movie season is becoming more associated with fantasy type movies. Kids and people are all about a messiah along with a man in a red suit with elves and flying reindeer at this time of year. Why not add some Jedi to the yuletide tradition?

RocShemp 11-07-13 07:55 PM

Nice fan poster, despite incorrect date:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...61271572_n.jpg

Artman 11-07-13 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by joe_b (Post 11900637)
If Episode VII manages to capture even half the magic of the original trilogy, it might just be a contender for highest grossing movie ever... and even if it's a piece of garbage it will still make a mint.

Agree on the last part... with 3D/Imax...a billion should be in the bag. But the times and competition has changed... not to mention the 14+yrs of SW being laughed at. Even if the movie is good, I can't see it passing The Avengers 1.5 billion...probably in the 1.2-3 range. Hope I'm wrong...

Mike86 11-07-13 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Artman (Post 11900973)
Agree on the last part... with 3D/Imax...a billion should be in the bag. But the times and competition has changed... not to mention the 14+yrs of SW being laughed at. Even if the movie is good, I can't see it passing The Avengers 1.5 billion...probably in the 1.2-3 range. Hope I'm wrong...

I dunno if I really agree with this. Sure a lot of fans of the original trilogy didn't like the prequel trilogy but I'm sure those films have fans who grew up on that set of movies who enjoy them as much or more than the originals. As far as the comparison with super hero films it's tough saying as when the last film came out in 2005 super hero films were around but weren't as big as they are now. I think Star Wars is still enough of a draw that it'll get people there regardless.

dvduser6 11-08-13 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 11900362)
From the official site: 18 December 2015.

http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-e...r-18-2015.html

So when will we be able to preorder the blu-ray from Amazon?

resinrats 11-08-13 01:04 AM

Another benefit of Star Wars near the holidays. Christmas toy sales!!! Figure they will release the toys about a month before, just over a week before Black Friday. Mouse is going to rake in that cash. All the kids will want figures and lightsabers.

Deadman31 11-08-13 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz (Post 11898902)
Word is they've called the agent for Miley Cyrus.

is she playing Jar Jar Binks?

BrewCrew 11-08-13 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 11900985)
Sure a lot of fans of the original trilogy didn't like the prequel trilogy but I'm sure those films have fans who grew up on that set of movies who enjoy them as much or more than the originals.

Also keep in mind that by the time this movie is released there will be ten year olds that were never alive during a Star Wars theatrical release and teenagers that were too young to see the prequels in the theatre. Besides Darth Maul, my oldest son prefers the original trilogy over the prequel trilogy and will be excited to see a new movie with characters that he actually likes.

Shannon Nutt 11-08-13 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 11900419)
Arndt could come back, switch to Kasdan was for time.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/j-j-...riting-script/

That's Hollywood BS...that's what you say whenever a writer, director, actor, etc. is dismissed from a project - because you don't want to burn any bridges, as you might wind up working with the guy again.

Incidentally, a similar thing happened with The Empire Strikes Back - Lucas wasn't happy with the original script he had (written by Leigh Brackett) and Kazdan was brought in for a rewrite. A ton of changes were made then, as well.

mcnabb 11-08-13 08:17 AM

I kind of like it now that it will be released around Christmas Season, as it sort of shows that we are headed in a new direction with the new trilogy.

I'm going to try to stay relatively spolier-free for the ST, as I spoiled myself silly for Episode III, and I regretted when I watched it in the theaters that not because I essentially knew what was going to happen. The only things I will watch will be trailers and promotional material, interviews, etc, but I going to stay away from any SW internet sites as that is where you find most of the spoilers.

Double_Oh_7 11-08-13 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 11901154)

Incidentally, a similar thing happened with The Empire Strikes Back - Lucas wasn't happy with the original script he had (written by Leigh Brackett) and Kazdan was brought in for a rewrite. A ton of changes were made then, as well.

Not similar at all. Leigh Brackett died, it's not like she was available for a rewrite and they shut her out.

redrum 11-08-13 09:46 AM

Having casting auditions here this weekend

Maybe i should go try out for the lead even though i'm 26 and they're asking for 19-23

milo bloom 11-08-13 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jippy (Post 11900994)
So when will we be able to preorder the blu-ray from Amazon?

Hmm, I just checked Amazon for fun and they don't have anything. Didn't they used to put up placeholder pages for big products like this?

Anyways, I wonder if the extra delay will have them wanting to put something out to hold over the fans, maybe something like the original editions on Bluray...

Originally Posted by mcnabb (Post 11901167)
I kind of like it now that it will be released around Christmas Season, as it sort of shows that we are headed in a new direction with the new trilogy.

I'm going to try to stay relatively spolier-free for the ST, as I spoiled myself silly for Episode III, and I regretted when I watched it in the theaters that not because I essentially knew what was going to happen. The only things I will watch will be trailers and promotional material, interviews, etc, but I going to stay away from any SW internet sites as that is where you find most of the spoilers.

I'm still deciding which way to go. I generally don't go to movies for the "surprises" but the experience, and knowing about any weird twists can help me prep myself for silliness.

joe_b 11-08-13 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by redrum (Post 11901276)
Having casting auditions here this weekend

Yeah, it appears they are holding open casting calls throughout the US over the next couple weeks (including stops in Chicago, Austin and Nashville). These session are already reported to be taking place throughout the UK. If this means they are seeking unknowns for the lead roles, I'm all for it.

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/..._US_155148.asp

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/...VII_155222.asp

Of course, the casting team is using codenames for the roles in question: "Rachel" and "Thomas". I read the sides the agency is e-mailing to actors who plan to try out. It reads like a scene from The Hunger Games: A girl carries an injured boy to a barn and tries to get him to eat something while saying lines like "You're not going to die. I forbid it." Clearly not from the script, but I was picturing Katniss and Peeta while reading it. :lol:

joe_b 11-09-13 05:13 PM

Video from the audition turn out in Bristol this morning:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/s...isode-VII.html

The two guys who mention getting a call back have that tween boy band look to them. Kinda One Direction-ish. I guess this is the aesthetic they're searching for? Bet they dismissed that dude with the lightsaber in about two seconds. :lol:

milo bloom 11-13-13 03:34 PM

Today's youtube trailer is the Return of the Jedi teaser trailer (note the first teaser was for "Revenge" of the Jedi).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgB4gaY2dWE

The pattern that isn't a pattern continues.

Drexl 11-13-13 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 11907857)
Today's youtube trailer is the Return of the Jedi teaser trailer (note the first teaser was for "Revenge" of the Jedi).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgB4gaY2dWE

The pattern that isn't a pattern continues.

That really takes me back. Percy Rodriguez was my favorite trailer voiceover guy.

hanshotfirst1138 11-13-13 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 11907857)
Today's youtube trailer is the Return of the Jedi teaser trailer (note the first teaser was for "Revenge" of the Jedi). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgB4gaY2dWE The pattern that isn't a pattern continues.

What exactly do you think said pattern is and is signifying?

milo bloom 11-13-13 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113 (Post 11908068)
What exactly do you think said pattern is and is signifying?

In October, the official Star Wars Youtube channel started listing the old theatrical trailers for the OT on Wednesdays and it looked like they might have been leading up to an announcement on the 30th (which would be the 1 year anniversary of the Disney announcement). That day came without anything being announced but they did release another OT trailer. And every Wednesday they keep releasing some kind of OT trailer.

It's fairly obvious Disney wants to recapture the magic of the OT in preparation for Episode 7 and the thought was that they would announce something Ep 7 related on the 30th or possibly an OT Bluray release. That didn't happen, but the trailers keep coming, either establishing a pattern... or not.

Drexl 11-13-13 10:11 PM

One year anniversary of the announcement? Maybe it's just me, but that really doesn't seem like some event significant enough to be marked and celebrated. I guess the <s>nerds</s> ardent fans are aware of it, but it's not like the day one of the movies opened or something.

mcnabb 11-14-13 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 11908257)
One year anniversary of the announcement? Maybe it's just me, but that really doesn't seem like some event significant enough to be marked and celebrated. I guess the <s>nerds</s> ardent fans are aware of it, but it's not like the day one of the movies opened or something.

Maybe its still too early, but most of my friends (we all grew up with the OT) aren't that hyped, and its probably cause they don't want to get burned again with expectations they had for the PT. In the end, they will still be there opening weekend (especially if Han, Luke and Leia are back), but there is more of a wait and see attitude towards this trilogy. This is why I think Episode 7 is so critical, as they have to go all out for this movie to get back many OT fans for the whole trilogy. Episode 7 can't be a set-up movie like Episode 1 was, where all the great plot points didn't happen til Episode 3.

Rob V 11-14-13 07:39 AM

^^ well said. I feel the same way. I almost don't care if the new movies happen because I felt so burned by the PT. I'm not sure anybody could capture the magic of the OT -- mostly because it was way ahead of its time.