DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/606070-star-wars-episode-vii-force-awakens-2015-abrams-s-hamill-ford-fisher.html)

Jay G. 10-31-12 12:05 PM

Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Unknown, S: Unknown)

Originally Posted by Shazam (Post 11449341)
I dunno, how did that Clone Wars movie do? Or the 3D versions of the prequels?

The Clone Wars movie is interesting, as it was basically the pilot for the show released theatrically. It wasn't by Lucas, it was low-quality CGI, but it was also fairly low budget. I see estimates of $10 million, so its $35 million domestic haul actually made money:
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=...sclonewars.htm

It's like pointing to the low gross of the Batman Animated Movie and saying that any future Batman live action film will also do poorly.
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=...hephantasm.htm

As for the 3D versions, only one has been released so far. However, theatrical rereleases aren't known for grabbing huge numbers. Finding Nemo 3D didn't do huge numbers, but that doesn't mean people are worn out on Pixar films.

The Valeyard 10-31-12 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11449316)
How is it ironic?

It's like rain on your wedding day.

Episode VII will be a huge hit regardless if it sucks or not. Star Wars fans LOVE Star Wars. Period. They will camp out for weeks to see it opening night then get right back in line to see it again. They're more like sports fans now. No matter how bad their team does, they'll still root for them and pay to see them again and again.

Jay G. 10-31-12 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by covenant (Post 11449359)
I guess that good will didn't extend to the SWTOR mmo.

Star Wars: The Old Republic sold incredibly well upon release, somewhere between 1-1.5 million copies. However, as an MMO with a monthly subscription model, it had to have more than just the instant appeal of Star Wars to retain players over the long haul.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24715...s_records.html
http://technorati.com/entertainment/...tar-wars-the1/

Movies don't typically have to worry about the long haul; they just have to get you in to see it at least once. There's a big difference between paying $7-$15 for a movie ticket and then maybe $20 later for the Blu-ray, and paying $60 upfront + $15/month for an MMO.

Supermallet 10-31-12 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Shazam (Post 11449341)
I dunno, how did that Clone Wars movie do? Or the 3D versions of the prequels?

Neither of those are new live action Star Wars movies.

Shazam 10-31-12 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11449379)
Neither of those are new live action Star Wars movies.

But you just told me SW fans lap up any ol' shit that Lucas farts out. So now you're saying they don't?

And fucking Yahoo is making this site load reeeaall slow.

Supermallet 10-31-12 12:18 PM

You're right, I was using hyperbole. But this new movie will make a shit ton of money regardless of quality. Now, Episode VIII might be a different story if Episode VII sucks balls.

Ranger 10-31-12 12:38 PM

Why are there two SW threads?

Groucho 10-31-12 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger (Post 11449412)
Why are there two SW threads?

Where's the other one?

Timber 10-31-12 12:40 PM

One about the movies and one about Disney buying Lucas Films? Makes complete sense to me.

Jay G. 10-31-12 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Timber (Post 11449414)
One about the movies and one about Disney buying Lucas Films? Makes complete sense to me.

Yeah, this thread is about the upcoming movies (primarily Ep VII, although other future films are likely to get discussed here), while the other is about all the other implications of the merger, especially in regards to the previous films.

I'm guessing that this is the thread that will have the most longevity, as more news about the next film develops.

redrum 10-31-12 01:26 PM

Whedon will be busy with Avengers 2, he won't be able to do this

Shazam 10-31-12 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11449384)
You're right, I was using hyperbole. But this new movie will make a shit ton of money regardless of quality. Now, Episode VIII might be a different story if Episode VII sucks balls.

Well, I still think it'll bomb if it truly sucks. I'll leave it at that :)

Rob V 10-31-12 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 11449081)
For me, the best idea would be to set the new film 30 years in the future from Return of the Jedi. Mark Hamill could play the Obi-Wan character, training Han and Leia's kids.

Please God, no kids or teenage angst in these movies -- or at the very least, minimize it. Make these movies darker like the Dark Knight trilogy (although I know that's not Disney's MO)

Terrell 10-31-12 01:46 PM

That being the exception. I'm hoping that since Lucas doesn't have creative control anymore a talented director/screenwriter combo can deliver a mature (no, that doesn't mean R rated) film set in the Star Wars universe. I'm hoping Disney will give a crew the creative freedom to do that.
Let's suppose Disney gets a great screenwriter and a great director to do Episode VII, and it still turns out bad. What then? I think people are overestimating how easy it is to catch lightning in a bottle twice. Making a great Star Wars film decades after the iconic original trilogy would be very difficult for even the most accomplished director, because whatever they do has to live up to the original films, and that's all but impossible. Lucas found that out with the prequels, and Spielberg found it out for Indy. If he tried to make an ET 2, he wouldn't come close to the original. You just don't live up to those iconic films from the 70s and 80s.

I suspect that Disney's Star Wars films, regardless of whether they are good or not, won't feel like Star Wars films at all. They will feel like films with the Star Wars name slapped on them. I believe that whatever they make, there will be a significant disconnect between not only that film and the Lucas Star Wars film, but also between the new films and the fans. Imagine a Star Wars film without any connection to the Skywalkers, with no film score from John Williams, and no 20th Century Fox fanfare to open it. Just the prospect of it seems weird.

Terrell 10-31-12 01:47 PM

Well, I still think it'll bomb if it truly sucks.
How do you explain the prequels then? They made insane cash.

Rob V 10-31-12 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Terrell (Post 11449508)
Let's suppose Disney gets a great screenwriter and a great director to do Episode VII, and it still turns out bad. What then? I think people are overestimating how easy it is to catch lightning in a bottle twice. Making a great Star Wars film decades after the iconic original trilogy would be very difficult for even the most accomplished director, because whatever they do has to live up to the original films, and that's all but impossible. Lucas found that out with the prequels, and Spielberg found it out for Indy. If he tried to make an ET 2, he wouldn't come close to the original. You just live up to those iconic films from the 70s and 80s.

I suspect that Disney's Star Wars films, regardless of whether they are good or not, won't feel like Star Wars films at all. They will feel like films with the Star Wars name slapped on them. I believe that whatever they make, there will be a significant disconnect between not only that film and the Lucas Star Wars film, but also between the new films and the fans. Imagine a Star Wars film without any connection to the Skywalkers, with no film score from John Williams, and no 20th Century Fox fanfare to open it. Just the prospect of it seems weird.

I'm sensing you don't like the idea of more SW movies, no? So why do you keep posting? You're trying to convince people of something you have no knowledge of... nobody knows if the movies will suck or not. Let it go and enjoy the ride... and in 2015 maybe you can say "I told you so". But until then, STFU.

Terrell 10-31-12 01:59 PM

I'm sensing you don't like the idea of more SW movies, no? So why do you keep posting? You're trying to convince people of something you have no knowledge of... nobody knows if the movies will suck or not. Let it go and enjoy the ride... and in 2015 maybe you can say "I told you so". But until then, STFU.
If you don't like my opinion, tough shit. I will post what I like. If that bothers you, then put me on ignore and don't respond to my posts. So you can STFU as well. It's called a forum for a reason, and I don't believe there is a rule that I have to post opinions that Rob V likes.

Shazam 10-31-12 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Terrell (Post 11449510)
How do you explain the prequels then? They made insane cash.

EPI was miserable. Truly bad and even somewhat offensive. But it was the first SW movie in ages.

EPII + III were waaaay better than EPI, and really aren't that bad in their own right. Yeah, they're not the OT, but at least they kept the chinky-chow aliens to a minimum and dropped snot-nosed Anakin for bad-teen-actor Anakin.

The thing though these days is that a film can bomb in literally a day just from Twitter.

Shazam 10-31-12 02:09 PM

Let's suppose Disney gets a great screenwriter and a great director to do Episode VII, and it still turns out bad. What then? I think people are overestimating how easy it is to catch lightning in a bottle twice. Making a great Star Wars film decades after the iconic original trilogy would be very difficult for even the most accomplished director, because whatever they do has to live up to the original films, and that's all but impossible. Lucas found that out with the prequels, and Spielberg found it out for Indy. If he tried to make an ET 2, he wouldn't come close to the original. You just don't live up to those iconic films from the 70s and 80s.

Didn't Lucas insist on some of the more stupid scenes in KOTCS? I thought it was him that really, really wanted those CGI gophers.

I dunno. Bond films have been made for ages with completely different casts and it still seems like Bond.

If anything, having Lucas the fuck away from the films will only make them better. I think his view of SW is "Chewbacca is part of SW, he NEEDS to be in the prequels, even if it makes no sense!!" He has such a rigid view of what SW is, and what needs to be in it for him to consider it to be a "Star Wars" movie. It's a hindrance now.

Timber 10-31-12 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Shazam (Post 11449531)
EPI was miserable. Truly bad and even somewhat offensive. But it was the first SW movie in ages.

EPII + III were waaaay better than EPI, and really aren't that bad in their own right. Yeah, they're not the OT, but at least they kept the chinky-chow aliens to a minimum and dropped snot-nosed Anakin for bad-teen-actor Anakin.

The thing though these days is that a film can bomb in literally a day just from Twitter.

I actually think II is really bad but it has the "well it's not as bad as TPM" thing going for it. III has a lot going for it and if trimmed feels like it belongs with the OT.

Mabuse 10-31-12 02:15 PM

I'm more optimistic than you but I agree with a lot of what you've said. Episode VII is going to be very difficult to pull off. It needs to be REALLY good and yet it needs to be very commercial. I think the biggest hurdle will be brokering whose "vision" ultimately gets made. Whoever directs should be someone with a strong personal vision. Say what you will about the prequels, all the SW films have felt like the exclusive vision of one man. If Episode VII feels like it was made by a committee instead of a singular force I think it will be very problematic. Don't get me wrong, the film absolutely WILL BE made by a committee, but it's going to need to feel like it's not.

I actually think Spielberg should direct Episode VII with Lucas as a very present creative consultant (sort of a reversal of the creative roles they took in Episode III). Handing it off to a young director would be a big mistake. Not only are there no young directors up to it, but I feel they would get run over by the studio. Only someone of Lucas' generation should do this. Spielberg can deliver the film on budget and not do anything reckless while at the same time demand creative control away from the suits.

Imagine a Star Wars film without any connection to the Skywalkers, with no film score from John Williams, and no 20th Century Fox fanfare to open it. Just the prospect of it seems weird
Who's to say that there won't be a connection to the Skywalkers?
John William's Superman score has been rescored and reworked many times for the sequels and Superman Returns and it worked just fine every time.

foofighters7 10-31-12 02:24 PM

Episode VII (I hate saying that) will have Luke and his wife and children. You will get to see the kids of the main characters. Han and Leia's kids. Luke and his wife will have 2, a boy and a girl.

Luke's son will get in over his head on some deal with the Emperors hidden child who is now of age and ready to get into some action. Luke will then meet with the Emperor's son dressed as his own son. He will then turn down the bad guy's idea. The emperor's son will be terribly angry and want to fight Luke. Luke decides to run rather than spar with him. They have a chase on speed bikes. In a melee the Emperor's son's bike and Luke's will clash sending the Son's spinning up and out of control hitting the clock tower from the future, the same one from 1955!

Shazam 10-31-12 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by foofighters7 (Post 11449557)
Episode VII (I hate saying that) will have Luke and his wife and children. You will get to see the kids of the main characters. Han and Leia's kids. Luke and his wife will have 2, a boy and a girl.

Luke's son will get in over his head on some deal with the Emperors hidden child who is now of age and ready to get into some action. Luke will then meet with the Emperor's son dressed as his own son. He will then turn down the bad guy's idea. The emperor's son will be terribly angry and want to fight Luke. Luke decides to run rather than spar with him. They have a chase on speed bikes. In a melee the Emperor's son's bike and Luke's will clash sending the Son's spinning up and out of control hitting the clock tower from the future, the same one from 1955!

Eh, it's still better than TPM.

foofighters7 10-31-12 02:29 PM

Did I mention, at the beginning of Episode VII we find out all the Gungans have died from a flesh eating bacteria?

A really nasty one!

Oliver Clothesoff 10-31-12 02:38 PM

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...UntitledSW.jpg