Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney buys LucasFilm for $4B in cash & stock

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney buys LucasFilm for $4B in cash & stock

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-12, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Disney buys LucasFilm for $4B in cash & stock

Originally Posted by darkflounder
Oh, and don't let Lucas ANY WHERE NEAR the Marvel properties.
Hey, we could get some cute little Asgardian elves in a Thor sequel, with lots of hilarious, adorable antics!

Old 10-30-12, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
Lucas looks heartbroken in those clips. Kinda sad.
Yeah because Disney put a gun to his head while handing him the cheque.
Old 10-30-12, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam
Yeah because Disney put a gun to his head while handing him the cheque.
I know he is willingly selling the companies & franchises (no one forced him), but I can still understand how he can be sad about this.

He has called Star Wars "his baby" before, and these companies stand for everything he has built in his adult life. If I was in his position, I would feel a little sad too. All these things that he has created are no longer his.

With that said, I am pretty excited to see what happens under Disney's ownership. I think that this could be very good for Star Wars.
Old 10-30-12, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Well I'll be up for more Star Wars movies. Bring them on!
Old 10-30-12, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
He has called Star Wars "his baby" before, and these companies stand for everything he has built in his adult life. If I was in his position, I would feel a little sad too. All these things that he has created are no longer his.
Rather incestuous relationship, the way he kept fucking it all these years.
Old 10-30-12, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-30-12, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes. Fox still has claim over the original series....

Fox Retain Rights To All Existing Star Wars Films

The new Disney deal with Lucasfilm doesn’t include the distribution rights to the pre-existing Star Wars films, all of which will remain with Fox. I assume that includes the Star Wars Holiday Special. In fact, Lucas’ deal with Fox doesn’t look to change in any way, so don’t go getting your hopes up for pristine Blu-ray editions of the original trilogy in their original versions – it’s really not likely to happen at all. The Lucas-Fox pact will have Han shooting second at least until… well, at least until somebody other than George Lucas is making the big decisions. Not to get morbid, but I remember what it took for Stanley Kubrick‘s Clockwork Orange to get “unbanned” in the UK, and that was Kubrick passing away.

Distribution rights to the upcoming films will sit entirely with Disney. This means that any future complete edition boxset will require some kind of deal making by both studios, though that “full set” concept seems to have lost a lot of currency tonight with the promise of new Star Wars every couple-few years for generations to come.
Bleeding Cool
Old 10-30-12, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QIkqX5fG_tA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Awe. I wanted to see him get up and do a little jig, look at the camera, and say "this is what four billion dollars looks like, bitches".
Old 10-30-12, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stingermck
My mind is literally blown here.
Figuratively speaking.

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
Lucas looks heartbroken in those clips. Kinda sad.
The story I read from the Associated Press said a major factor in Lucas' decision to sell was the negative reaction he received from fans over the changes he made to the OT. A grownup response would have been like the one Spielberg had after altering "E.T.": "You're right, I'm sorry. I'll change it back."

Instead, Lucas is doing what he's always done: Blame the fans for his butthurt.
Old 10-30-12, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Additional details about the deal...

•Deal signed and announced earlier today – includes Star Wars franchise and all Lucasfilm operating businesses.
•Indiana Jones franchise rights ARE also included in this deal.
•Disney loves the Indiana Jones franchise, but it wasn't included in the studio’s Lucasfilm valuation due to its “encumbrances” (meaning existing financial/legal involvement of Paramount).
•First project under the joint under Disney/Lucas partnership will be Star Wars: Episode 7 in 2015, followed by Episode 8 and Episode 9.
•Disney purchased “extensive and detailed” treatment for Episodes 7-9 as part of this deal which they “feel very good about.”
•Disney long term plan is to release a new live-action Star Wars film every 2-3 years – films may eventually explore entire 20,000 year time-span of the franchise.
•It’s Lucas’ plan to stay retired, but he will serve as creative consultant on new Star Wars films. Kathleen Kennedy will executive produce. Both are now sitting down with writers to discuss stories.
•Fox retains certain distribution rights to the existing Star Wars films but not the new franchise films going forward.
•Kennedy will serve as Lucasfilm president, reporting to Bob Iger at Disney.
•Disney plans to expand Star Wars brand into many new product categories and internationally.
•Star Wars brand will also be expanded into Disney parks, games and TV businesses.
•Iger feels Disney XD would be a good TV home for the franchise going forward.
•Star Wars interactive strategy: Disney will focus more on social and mobile platforms, opportunistically on consoles.
•Deal was 50% cash and 50% stock – $4.05 billion
•Disney believes Lucasfilm value is comparable to value of Marvel, but valuation is only based on Star Wars alone – value of other Lucasfilm intellectual properties are in addition to this.
•Disney plans to let ILM continue operating as it currently does.
Old 10-30-12, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Yes. Fox still has claim over the original series....

Bleeding Cool
That doesn't make any sense. Disney bought Lucasfilm LTD. The Fox distribution deal isn't between George Lucas the person and Fox. It's between Lucasfilm and Fox. The distribution deal will remain unchanged because there is a contract between the two legal entities. Who cares who their fucking parent company is? Disney can likely try to buy out the contract or let it run out (whenever that may be), renew it, or whatever.
Old 10-30-12, 07:06 PM
Banned

Now we can have the ultimate battle.

Old 10-30-12, 07:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Additional details about the deal...

•Disney long term plan is to release a new live-action Star Wars film every 2-3 years – films may eventually explore entire 20,000 year time-span of the franchise.
KOTOR movie trilogy! I want that more than VII-IX honestly.

It still doesn't say anything about the EU novels and comics. I am sure Dark Horse is completely screwed, but I wonder if Del Rey will be able to keep doing Star Wars novels.
Old 10-30-12, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Tuesday's announcement that Disney is acquiring Lucasfilm was a shock to the visual effects and post-production community. The deal includes Industrial Light & Magic, the most storied of vfx studios, and Skywalker Sound, a revered name in audio post.

Post pros remember well Disney's disastrous acquisition of vfx studio Dream Quest Images in 1996, which ended with Dream Quest shuttered five years later.

Disney topper Robert Iger offered assurance on an investor call Tuesday, saying "We want to let Industrial Light & Magic remain as is," and saying it would continue to work for other studios, even as ILM management was working the phones to reassure its studio clients.

An ILM spokesman told Variety emphatically it will be "business as usual" for ILM and Skywalker Sound, noting ILM has partnered with Disney, Marvel and Pixar on many previous projects and will continue to do so.

However the real assurance of the future of ILM probably lies in the news that there will be new "Star Wars" movies on a regular schedule. ILM was born out of production on the original "Star Wars" pics and George Lucas built it up so it would be able to pioneer digital production on the prequel trilogy. Keeping vfx spending in-house kept costs down and made it possible for the Star Wars pics to have more vfx than any other pics of the time.

Many of the artists who worked on the previous "Star Wars" pics are still at ILM and that experience can't be duplicated at any of the company's rivals.

Moreover, under Iger, Disney does less micro-managing than it did under Michael Eisner. It has been mostly hands-off with another of Iger's multi-billion-dollar acquisitions, Pixar, other than ramping up production of sequels. With "Star Wars" ramping up production, too, Disney is likely to leave ILM alone -- as long as the numbers work.
Old 10-30-12, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Strevlac
That doesn't make any sense. Disney bought Lucasfilm LTD. The Fox distribution deal isn't between George Lucas the person and Fox. It's between Lucasfilm and Fox. The distribution deal will remain unchanged because there is a contract between the two legal entities. Who cares who their fucking parent company is? Disney can likely try to buy out the contract or let it run out (whenever that may be), renew it, or whatever.
Do you have a copy of the contract in front of you or have you read it? No? I didn't think so.

Contracts usually have stipulations about things like a change of ownership.
Old 10-30-12, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
It still doesn't say anything about the EU novels and comics. I am sure Dark Horse is completely screwed, but I wonder if Del Rey will be able to keep doing Star Wars novels.

Dark Horse will still publish Star Wars....for now.

DARK HORSE COMICS REACTS TO DISNEY'S "STAR WARS" PURCHASE

Posted: 2 hours ago | Updated: 2 hours ago

Dark Horse's "Star Wars" ongoing series written by Brian Wood is still scheduled for release in January.

The entertainment news of the day is undoubtedly Disney's $4.05 billion purchase of Lucasfilm and the announcement of a new "Star Wars" film planned for release in 2015 -- but what does Disney's newest acquisition mean for "Star Wars" comics? Dark Horse Comics is the current steward of the "Star Wars" license when it comes to comics and graphic novels, and today President Mike Richardson stated that "Star Wars" will continue to have a home at Dark Horse for "the near future."

"Dark Horse and LucasFilm have a strong partnership which spans over 20 years, and has produced multiple characters and story lines which are now part of the Star Wars lore," Richardson said. "'Star Wars' will be with us for the near future. Obviously, this deal changes the landscape, so we'll all have to see what it means for the future."

Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm does indeed change the comics landscape, especially considering that Disney currently has a comics company under its umbrella -- Marvel Comics. And there's historical precedent fans are already looking at with regard to future comics based in a galaxy far, far away: When Disney acquired Marvel three years ago, it ended up transitioning Disney-branded comics from production at BOOM! Studios over to Marvel. While news of the Lucasfilm acquisition is still fresh, the possibility certainly exists that Disney will move production of "Star Wars"-themed comics over to Marvel further down the line.

But for now, "Star Wars" stays at Dark Horse -- which means fans can still look forward to Brian Wood's "Star Wars" ongoing in January 2013.

Comics aren't the only licensed property yet to be affected by the acquisition. IGN reports LucasArts, the video game division of Lucasfilm, as stating "all projects are business as usual" and the company is "excited about all the possibilities that Disney brings."

It's only a matter of time before the franchise shifts back to Marvel.
Old 10-30-12, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Why not Joss Whedon?
We have Han Solo. That's enough for the sardonic comments. I don't need Whedon giving every last character funny retorts every five seconds.

But then again...he kept himself in check with "The Avengers".
Old 10-30-12, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Do you have a copy of the contract in front of you or have you read it? No? I didn't think so.

Contracts usually have stipulations about things like a change of ownership.
Of course I don't have the contract in front of me. Bleeding Cool doesn't either and they seem to be making stuff up off the top of their heads, namely "The new Disney deal with Lucasfilm doesn’t include the distribution rights to the pre-existing Star Wars films, all of which will remain with Fox....In fact, Lucas’ deal with Fox doesn’t look to change in any way, so don’t go getting your hopes up for pristine Blu-ray editions of the original trilogy in their original versions – it’s really not likely to happen at all. The Lucas-Fox pact will have Han shooting second at least until… well, at least until somebody other than George Lucas is making the big decisions."

Why are they implying that the fate of the existing Star Wars films is somehow a matter between George Lucas and Fox? Why would anyone even assume that? The distribution deal was between Lucasfilm and Fox, and Disney aquired Lucasfilm, so.....?
Old 10-30-12, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

I am ecstatic for this news. The single worst thing about Star Wars of late has been Lucas. NO ONE can look at the prequels and say they are good. All it would have taken to get something great would be the ability to say no to George Lucas.

Though Disney isn't a perfect company, they definitely know how to make an awesome movie and I have a ton of optimism about what the future holds.
Old 10-30-12, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I just hope Disney doesn't mess up with these new Star Wars movies. I don't think my childhood's ass can take another pounding.
Old 10-30-12, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Wow, that was fast.

Old 10-30-12, 07:57 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Let me get this straight. So Fox and Paramount respectively own the distribution rights to the existing SW and Indy films, but Disney will own all the copyrights and trademarks. Fox wouldn't have anything to do with the new SW films, but Paramount might still have a stake in future Indy films. And Warner Bros. still holds the distribution rights to the Clone Wars CGI film and TV series. I wonder who would own the distribution rights to the other TV shows and specials (Ewoks movies and cartoons, Clone Wars mini-series, etc.), since most of those have been OOP for a few years now, so I doubt Fox would hold any rights to them, though the special features made for various home video releases of the SW films are probably a different story.
Old 10-30-12, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Instead, Lucas is doing what he's always done: Blame the fans for his butthurt.
That probably does sting. Lucas really gets hammered by the fans. His new material really doesn't keep up with the original Star Wars phenomenon.

Let's see... who really gets picked on a lot on the internet? Internet people pick on Michael Bay. Internet people pick on George Bush. George Lucas. Creed. Point is - there's really not that many people that get shat upon the way George Lucas does. But his so-so output doesn't help.

I can picture it now... "Gore Verbinski Saves Star Wars", followed by internet after internet nerd rage - picking on Lucas over and over.
Old 10-30-12, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
My mind is literally blown here. I am thrilled to see someone else take a chance with the mythology.
RIP stingermck

Originally Posted by wm lopez
They could say jar-Jar Binks is offensive to blacks like SONG OF THE SOUTH.
If they hide Jar Jar away and pretend he never existed like they do with Song of the South, I'd be Ok with that.
Old 10-30-12, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That bleeding cool report makes no sense. Lucas, through lucasfilms decisions opted to not release the oot in any decent fashion. You remove Lucas and lucasfilms may decide to release them. If the fox distribution deal exists, then fox will have first crack at releasing whatever lucasfilm will release

My understanding is that fox essentially paid lucasfilm a lot of money in order to distribute the films, especially the prequels. Their control of what product gets released is zero. They barely made any made actually distributing the films, it was more of a prestige thing for them.

Having said that, I could see Lucas including a provision in the disney deal preventing disney from releasing them.

By the way, a creative consultant is a nice word for doing nothing. He will probably retain a office at lucasfilm and get to add his 2 cents.

All those people who always claimed that Lucas could do whatever he wants with his films because he owned them, I wonder how thy are going to feel now that Disney could burn the negatives to the movies if they wanted to. I wonder if their self proclaimed love for property rights will fly now

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.