DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Arnold Schwarzenegger Returning for King Conan: The Legend of Conan (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/605950-arnold-schwarzenegger-returning-king-conan-legend-conan.html)

joeydaninja 11-26-02 10:18 AM

Arnold Schwarzenegger Returning for King Conan: The Legend of Conan

you can read the article here.

It looks like Schwarzenegger was going to act in it. John Milius was going to write it and the Wachowskis were going to direct it.

I have a question though, who would you have wanted to direct King Conan?

Jepthah 11-26-02 01:19 PM

Milius should have written AND directed. Period.

My guess is that you can thank the studio for fouling this up. I can't get through to the site so that's just a wild guess. -rolleyes- ;)

Mourn 11-26-02 02:02 PM

Link no workee.

Aint it cool news isn't exactly a bastion of journalistic integrity however.

Jepthah 11-26-02 02:37 PM

Got through and read the bit.

It's probably not WB's fault alone, but their foot-dragging certainly doesn't help.

No one can do this thing justice except Milius, with permission to make it R-rated. The Wachowskis are totally wrong for it, I only hope they were involved as leverage to get the thing produced.

If they try to make it like The Scorpion King it will be a flop and not even considered good by the fans. Conan is not some guy to be running around in flames, slow motion, with a forgettable soundtrack by WB network band du jour!

El-Kabong 11-27-02 12:15 PM

By Crom! Milius and Schwarzenegger gone from King Conan?

Well, this just sucks. And it sounded like such a cool idea, too.

LINK

IGN FilmForce has learned from sources close to King Conan: Crown of Iron that writer/director John Milius, star Arnold Schwarzenegger, producers Larry and Andy Wachowski, and Warner Brothers are no longer involved with the development or production of any eventual Conan movie. The reason for this shocking turn of events is because Conan Properties, Inc., the company that owns the Conan character, has decided not to allow either Warners or the Wachowski brothers to renew their option on the material. This option was apparently on the verge of expiration.

According to our sources, Conan Properties, Inc. was frustrated with the slow development process that Conan 3 (a.k.a. King Conan) was enduring at Warners, as well as with the Wachowskis' ongoing work on The Matrix sequels. (Apparently, production on Conan 3 wouldn't have commenced until the Wachowskis were finished with The Matrix series.)

Sources have advised IGN FilmForce of some changes that fans can expect from this new Conan movie. With Milius and Schwarzenegger no longer involved, Conan Properties allegedly wants to set up Conan at another studio – no word yet on where – with the hopes of producing "a kinder, gentler Conan," in the words of one source. Conan Properties wants to cast a younger thesp as the title character and to produce a more "friendly" Conan film on a less epic (i.e., cheaper) scale using The Scorpion King as its template. (Spider-Man was another example of the kind of audience-friendly film that Conan Properties, Inc. wants to emulate.) Conan Properties, hoping to strike while the iron is hot, want to produce a cheapie Conan flick that will enjoy a boffo opening weekend.

Interestingly, Swedish-based Paradox Entertainment recently bought 20% of Conan Sales Company, which according to a company press release, holds all intellectual property rights in and associated with the character Conan. This lucrative deal gives Paradox a say in all Conan licensing partnerships, including the film deal that was set up at Warner Brothers. Could these new partners have played a role in the Conan film's about-face?

"The potential in the Conan character, stories and fan base is huge. We plan to increase licensing activities immediately in all media, including newly written books, comics and computer games," said Theodore Bergquist, CEO of Paradox Entertainment, in a press release issued in October. "We've got two major challenges: The first is to be true to the great Conan fan base, and the second is to elevate the Conan brand and its characters preparing the property for another sixty years in the entertainment industry. We feel that Paradox is well suited to take on such tasks."

Stan Lee Media had purchased Conan Properties, Inc. back in late 2000 in a stock swap valued at over $4 million dollars; Stan Lee Media has since gone under. It is unclear how exactly Stan Lee Media was disentangled from the ownership of Conan.

Thus, everything fans thought they knew about the new Conan film should now be forgotten, including its participants, plot and even its title. Obviously, if Conan's owners want a younger thesp in the title role then the story Milius penned – about an older King Conan reuniting with his estranged son Kon – no longer makes any sense.

bhk 11-27-02 12:21 PM

Well, there goes every reason I had to see it. They did make a "kinder, gently Conan" movie and it was bad and bombed.

Geofferson 11-27-02 01:10 PM

That does suck. :grunt:

TheMadMonk 11-27-02 01:13 PM

Conan Properties allegedly wants to set up Conan at another studio ... with the hopes of producing "a kinder, gentler Conan," in the words of one source. Conan Properties wants to cast a younger thesp as the title character and to produce a more "friendly" Conan film on a less epic (i.e., cheaper) scale using The Scorpion King as its template. (Spider-Man was another example of the kind of audience-friendly film that Conan Properties, Inc. wants to emulate.)
Didn't they do this already? I seem to remember a big steaming turd called Conan the Destroyer.

Conan the Barbarian is one of my favorite movies. It would be a shame if they further degrade the license, like with Destroyer.

Stoolie 11-27-02 01:15 PM

Well, just so long as Conan 3 is PG-13, we'll all be reeeeeaaaallllllly satisfied.

stoolie

FalconH10 11-27-02 01:28 PM

Well if Warner was actually serious about this I think they would just say okay and make their own fantasy epic about a king. I mean its not as if the Conan usniverse is the most original in the world. Plots for epic king adventures are a dime a dozen and I doubt the name recognition Conan brings with it will really help that much. It is pretty stupid though.

Kinder Gentler Conan = gay

grunter 11-27-02 02:27 PM

This completely blows.

After the huge write-up on AICN about the leaked "King Conan" script, this one property was way up there in the ranks of must-see sequels.

Now, with a mention of the (gack!) "Scorpian King," in the same breath as Conan, I no longer have an appetite to see the film.

Nice going, Conan properties. Way to kill your audience off.

CROM1 11-27-02 08:20 PM

im going to go jump off a building now... :(

Amadeus 11-27-02 08:28 PM

kindler,gentler Conan! WTF! This sucks! I don't wanna see some kindler Conan helping some little girl brush her hair.I wanna see some blood,action not some sissy pink little girl crap.:mad:
Damn them! Damn them straight to hell!

greg9x 11-29-02 01:05 PM

Conan Properties, hoping to strike while the iron is hot
So they want to copy the movie franchise that is copying the orginal Conan ??? And do it cheesily so they can cash in...
Sad, very sad....
As long as there's a good music video ..

Hey !! Maybe they can get the new Conan to be a wrestler on the WWE.... oooohhhhh, now theres ya some tie in money !!

Greg

joeydaninja 11-29-02 01:32 PM

forgive my rant, but first they dump The Fountain, and now this. two possibly great movies, down the drain. the only good news i've got this week is that baz is doing alexander the great, though this still won't be as good as The Fountain or a King Conan. Arg.

DeputyDave 11-29-02 06:42 PM

Originally posted by FalconH10
Well if Warner was actually serious about this I think they would just say okay and make their own fantasy epic about a king. I mean its not as if the Conan usniverse is the most original in the world. Plots for epic king adventures are a dime a dozen and I doubt the name recognition Conan brings with it will really help that much. It is pretty stupid though.

Kinder Gentler Conan = gay

Considering the "Conan Universe" was created in the 30's I think its completely original. Might as well say LOTR copied Star Wars.

About the movie: I loved the King Conan stories by Howard, This would have been great. But, for me, a perfect compromise would be to start the series over with a new semi-young Conan. That way we could have more movies (if they are any good, that is), after King Conan, its prety much it.

jessecrx 11-30-02 09:57 AM

Words can't describe the anger I am feeling right now. Seriously, I am really upset by this turn of events.

Jim Lee 11-30-02 11:57 AM

F**k this! :yack: I'll pass on this family friendly crapfest.

Makes me wonder if these morons have actually read the original RE Howard stories.

When will these idiots get a clue. Hey you freakin' Hollywood clowns go watch Fellowship of the Ring so you can comprehend the fact that Mature/Adult Fantasy films work.

Scorpion King my ASS! :mad:

Tyler_Durden 11-30-02 12:15 PM

Did anybody bother to read the reply from Conan Properties at posted AICN? It suggests that there's some hope yet. Apparently the Warner/Milius/Schwarzenegger combo is not necessarily out of the picture yet.

Breakfast with Girls 11-30-02 12:27 PM

Who do I complain to?

Breakfast with Girls 11-30-02 12:32 PM

Here's Conan Properties' response on AICN:

Dear Moriarty,

One of your readers sent me the link to your article. As managers of the Conan property, we are keeping our ears to the ground and we do listen to the fans. I must tell you it´s fascinating to be a bystander and see these rumours fester. Let me put an end to some.

We always and regularly receive pitches about how and when Conan should be made. Some people tell us Conan should be kinder. Some say less expensive. A lot think quicker. There are always advises left and right. This is because Conan is at the top of many people´s minds and Conan is a great franchise.

I can definitely tell you the next Conan movie will NOT be cheaper. It will have the best production value, the best studio and the best director. There are no exceptions. As far as we are concerned, Warner´s is not out and we are in discussions with them about the project.

I will say that we believe the wait for new entertainment has been long and we need to see some action on the screen. And, as a comment, Conan is the real Barbarian. Scorpion King was not.

We will shortly have our new website up to get closer to the fan community. Meanwhile, thanks for your continued interest in Conan!

Best regards

Fredrik Malmberg

Conan Properties

CROM1 11-30-02 01:36 PM

May Falsa Doom and Warner rot for all eternity in hell.....(or maybe there is hope left :D)

joeydaninja 11-30-02 01:38 PM

there is always hope! :D

DeputyDave 11-30-02 11:04 PM

Originally posted by CROM1
May Falsa Doom and Warner rot for all eternity in hell.....(or maybe there is hope left :D)
WTF is Falsa Doom?

Tyler_Durden 12-01-02 06:30 AM

He misspelled it... actually, it's Salsa Doom. No, wait. That's from Clerks.