Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Looper (Johnson, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Looper (Johnson, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
10.68%
35.92%
32.04%
10.68%
3.88%
0.97%
2.91%
0%
0%
0.97%
0%
I’d rather have IT lopped off than watch this!
1.94%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Looper (Johnson, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Old 09-30-12, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Looper (Johnson, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by The Bus
My review:

Doing a concept for a sci-fi movie isn't too difficult. It's probably the easiest part about making the film. Take our world, and just juice it up differently. Let's say currency is now time, and everyone transfer it through their skin. Or we're all batteries enslaved by a machine hive-mind. Or people can enter your dreams.

For the average sci-fi film, this is enough to fill about half of the running time. You have a voiceover or a character explaining how things work in this world, and you get some nice little FX set pieces to hold your audience's attention.

The problem is, at some point you run out of the show and have to start with the tell. And the average sci-fi film that hits your local multiplex does a really, really bad job with this. By the time you actually have to tell the story, most filmmakers have either forgotten that there should be a story, or have been so busy working on the intricacies of their universe that they're not able to pull a worthwhile story through the maze of rules they have created.

Luckily, Rian Johnson is not most filmmakers. Looper throws in two separate, major sci-fi developments:

One, time travel has been invented in the future but has become highly illegal. Only the most powerful crime syndicate in the world has access to it, and uses it to disappear people into the past.

Two... well, two's not in the trailers (that I can remember).
Spoiler:
Humans have developed the ability to use "TK" (telekinesis) although it's about as useful as wiggling your ears: a neat party trick, nothing more.

The story itself is about straightforward as a hard-boiled time-travel crime story can get, although there's one chicken-and-egg sequence that I am still trying to wrap my head around. The crime story turns into a revenge tale. Then the entire movie suddenly shifts towards becoming an elegiac discourse on the power of love and the endless cycle of human abuse that reminded me of A Perfect World. But with science fiction.

There's a lot of points I wasn't too keen on (and the ending is a bit predictable) but this is still one of the better sci-fi films of the last decade. You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you miss it.

Seriously? I thought this was one of the dumbest sci fi movies ever. The whole concept is completely ridiculous and they spend tons of time on useless exposition. I truly thought that this was quite possibly the worst and most ludicrous and illogical time travel movie ever. Nothing about this movie was close to believable or convincing. The core concept of the "looper was completely absurd. I gave it half a star, but I am not so sure it deserves that. How people could view this as anything other than trite and pathetic crap is completely beyond me. One of the worst movies of the year easily.
Old 09-30-12, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-01-12, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
There is a reason they said not to think too hard about time travel a couple of times in the movie. It's impossible for it to hold up under even the slightest question.
It's not impossible at all, it just takes more thought than was put into the mechanics of the timelines in this film.
Old 10-01-12, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Seriously? I thought this was one of the dumbest sci fi movies ever. The whole concept is completely ridiculous and they spend tons of time on useless exposition. I truly thought that this was quite possibly the worst and most ludicrous and illogical time travel movie ever. Nothing about this movie was close to believable or convincing. The core concept of the "looper was completely absurd. I gave it half a star, but I am not so sure it deserves that. How people could view this as anything other than trite and pathetic crap is completely beyond me. One of the worst movies of the year easily.
I agree Timecop was the superior film here.
Old 10-02-12, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I found the makeup on the JGL to be a little distracting. The movie felt like a mix of 12 Monkeys and The Butterfly Effect, except not as good as either of those films.
Old 10-02-12, 08:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

It's basically a remake of The Terminator from the T-800's point of view.

As for JGL's makeup, it was unnecessary. Because we all know what he really looks like, the prosthetics just created a sort of "uncanny valley" effect. Just tell the audience that it's the same guy and suspension of disbelief can do the rest. If it really bothered the filmmakers, they could have thrown in a quick scene of him getting plastic surgery as part of Joe 1's flashback.
Old 10-02-12, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Not as good as Butterfly Effect? Wow.
Old 10-02-12, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciated the prosthetics. If people couldn't accept them, the god help Cloud Atlas.
Old 10-02-12, 04:26 PM

Prosthetics look to be the least of Cloud Atlas's problems.
Old 10-02-12, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was pretty excited to see this flick and I wasn't really disappointed. There were a few elements I didn't like but overall I thought it was a good movie. I think the time travel stuff was handled very well.

I can't recall if I've ever seen Emily Blunt in anything before but she grows on you quickly. I think she's very attractive, good actress.

It was awesome to hear a Richard and Linda Thompson song in a movie.

I never once thought about the crybaby kid being Jeff Daniels.
Old 10-03-12, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got really pissed at Roger Ebert today for tweeting an article headline that seems to me to give the whole movie away. I still haven't seen it, so of course I can't be sure... but damn, I really didn't need to see this headline. I suspect anyone who's seen the trailer and then spots this headline will have the whole movie blown, so I wrote Ebert an angry tweet.

Spoiler:
"Suicide by Means of Homicide".
Old 10-03-12, 07:31 AM

That headline references a plot point that's hinted at in the trailers, and introduced in the film like 10 minutes in.
Old 10-03-12, 12:43 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Got really pissed at Roger Ebert today for tweeting an article headline that seems to me to give the whole movie away. I still haven't seen it, so of course I can't be sure... but damn, I really didn't need to see this headline. I suspect anyone who's seen the trailer and then spots this headline will have the whole movie blown, so I wrote Ebert an angry tweet.

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Groucho
That headline references a plot point that's hinted at in the trailers, and introduced in the film like 10 minutes in.
In other words? Some people don't read into trailers.
Old 10-03-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

seen this last night. Thought it was one of the best Sci-fi films I've seen in recent years.

For me, it felt like a throwback. It felt like something that would have came out in the 80's. I appreciated the feel of the film.

I have to say though, anyone who says stupid things like "this wasn't believable", or "this was far fetched" should NOT be viewing any film, ever.

As we walked out of the theater last night, two 40 something morons were discussing the film and one actually said, "Wow, that was far fetched. I don't know about that one. They had to be on meth when they made that thing".... Ok, so you went to a TIME TRAVEL movie and then have the audacity to complain about it being "Far fetched"? REALLY? Idiots.

I will say, my one real issue was the makeup. I already know what JGL looks like, so It was a bit jarring every time it went to a close up of him. I understand why they did it but they didn't need to do it.

I guess if I had to complain, it could have been edited slightly better. A few scenes went on a bit too long but nothing that needs to be mentioned.

Overall, it is in my top 10 of the year right now. I was pleased.
Old 10-03-12, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually like JGLs prosthetics. He really nailed the Willis mannerisms and sold the whole thing. Enjoyed the movie.

It was kinda weird seeing a time travel movie that didn't delve into alternate universes and the like.
Old 10-05-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still haven't seen one of his movies, but Rian Johnson has got to be one of my favorite directors right now between his interactions with fans on Twitter, insightful interviews, introducing his movie at the Arc Light, and his free in-theater commentary released today:

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/downloa...-rian-johnson/

Hoping to check out Looper tomorrow (sans commentary for first viewing of course).
Old 10-05-12, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
It was kinda weird seeing a time travel movie that didn't delve into alternate universes and the like.
It sort-of did.
Old 10-05-12, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
It sort-of did.
what I meant was that the people that traveled back were directly effected by stuff their present counterpart did(or what others did), making it very linear.
Old 10-05-12, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by gp1086
I still haven't seen one of his movies, but Rian Johnson has got to be one of my favorite directors right now between his interactions with fans on Twitter, insightful interviews, introducing his movie at the Arc Light, and his free in-theater commentary released today:

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/downloa...-rian-johnson/

Hoping to check out Looper tomorrow (sans commentary for first viewing of course).
thanks for this. the only thing i can say is go see his films. start with BRICK. he's truly a talent.
Old 10-06-12, 02:11 PM
Banned

Saw this Thursday.

Wow. This felt really fresh. Fresh while also being sooooo heavy on movie nods. Kind of like a love letter to Willis flicks too.

I liked every bit of it and wasn't confused by any part of it. There's not much that I could criticize of it. The time travel made sense w/ it's purpose of use and why the crime syndicate does so. It went beyond finding the body in their present. That's all you needed to know and I was fine w/ that.

JGL and Willis were awesome. Cast as a whole were great. Especially that kid. Where the hell did he come from and how did they get him to be so perfect?!

Technically speaking...the film was solid. Had good control and pacing. Direction of the elements were solid w/o it being egotistical or pretentious with the material. I liked the twist. While he was the "villain" I did somewhat agree w/ his logic. He was there to get himself a better life...though flawed and a reason why he's off his kilter. The logiv of past self affecting the future self while in the present made sense while also being horrifying in one sequence. Disturbing.

The effects were good too, couldve been spruced up a bit but they were fine.

I give it an A-.
Old 10-06-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know it's silly to get my hopes up about time travel movies. But a movie with a rating of 94% on RT should at least have some originality to it.

This was a mediocre action movie and a poor sci-fi one. Wish it had sticked to being one or the other.
Old 10-06-12, 03:35 PM
Banned

I don't honestly think of it as a Sci Fi film. It has the elements of it but they're not the point of the film. They're only the throttle for the story. The action was fine and well done especially sense they're more of a telling for the character. I don't honestly think it needed more of it. All the violence had a point and wasn't much bs for it. In and out the action was.

It's very much a character driven story which is nice that it has those elements in the genres it jumps into but they're just part of the world. Aside from the issue.
Old 10-06-12, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I don't honestly think of it as a Sci Fi film. It has the elements of it but they're not the point of the film. They're only the throttle for the story. The action was fine and well done especially sense they're more of a telling for the character. I don't honestly think it needed more of it. All the violence had a point and wasn't much bs for it. In and out the action was.

It's very much a character driven story which is nice that it has those elements in the genres it jumps into but they're just part of the world. Aside from the issue.
There was a lot of suspension of belief needed. Time travel. Check. JGL as Willis. Check. Hover vehicles in 32 years. Fine. Telekinetics. Fine, whatever, might as well throw in some aliens or vampires at this point.

But those are minor quibbles and not my problems with the film. My problem was just how mediocre it was. It could have just been an episode of the Twilight Zone or Heroes. I thought the pacing was terrible, there was action and then 5 minutes of watching Emily Blunt in a rocking chair.

Also, the lead henchman who never could cut it? He seemed like a promising character and I sorta hoped he would turn out to be the big future baddie but as I thought about later, I think that's the only reason for his role, to try and throw us off because ultimately he had no point.

Overall, not bad but nothing special. A good ending can't make up for everything that came before it.
Old 10-06-12, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lamphorn

Spoiler:
It's actually a huge spoiler if you change the words around.
Old 10-06-12, 06:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
There was a lot of suspension of belief needed. Time travel. Check. JGL as Willis. Check. Hover vehicles in 32 years. Fine. Telekinetics. Fine, whatever, might as well throw in some aliens or vampires at this point.

But those are minor quibbles and not my problems with the film. My problem was just how mediocre it was. It could have just been an episode of the Twilight Zone or Heroes. I thought the pacing was terrible, there was action and then 5 minutes of watching Emily Blunt in a rocking chair.

Also, the lead henchman who never could cut it? He seemed like a promising character and I sorta hoped he would turn out to be the big future baddie but as I thought about later, I think that's the only reason for his role, to try and throw us off because ultimately he had no point.

Overall, not bad but nothing special. A good ending can't make up for everything that came before it.
Did you not get who Kid Blue was?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.