Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Looper (Johnson, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Looper (Johnson, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
10.68%
35.92%
32.04%
10.68%
3.88%
0.97%
2.91%
0%
0%
0.97%
0%
I’d rather have IT lopped off than watch this!
1.94%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Looper (Johnson, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Old 01-06-13, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Looper (Johnson, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Spoiler:
He has a "code" and figures out it's the Rainmaker's date of birth so he targets all the kids in the area born on that date, he actually goes after the other two of the three first.
Thank you (and fumanstan) for the help. I enjoyed the ride, but my mind was already thinking about so many things that I didn't quite get, that I have no recollection at all of the scenes you describe.

I definitely need to watch this again.
Old 01-06-13, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Thank you (and fumanstan) for the help. I enjoyed the ride, but my mind was already thinking about so many things that I didn't quite get, that I have no recollection at all of the scenes you describe.

I definitely need to watch this again.
It definitely deserves a second watch. I'll be picking up the Blu this week.
Old 01-06-13, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
That's because they're not the same person.
I don't believe they are either, but I was just curious for what the theory was to the believers.
Old 01-07-13, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Just watched the Blu-ray last night. Overall, I enjoyed it...thought it was strong and entertaining.

The 2nd scene of future Joe being transported with cuffs and hood, being instantly killed by present Joe was the biggest head-scratcher for me. I don't see how the movie benefited in any way from this.

Also, it never occured to me that Kid Blue and Abe were the same person. It was strange that Abe seemed to let him off easy (just a hand bashing) despite his repeated screw-ups. It also seemed strange that Kid Blue got so incensed when his crew was wiped out, that he went after the Joes with such a vengeance. After this, it seems that he would have had no motivivation to ingratiate himself with these people any longer, and in fact, they never treated him very well to begin with.

Also, can anyone watch Jeff Daniels in a movie anymore without picturing him on the toilet, blowing out his colon in Dumb & Dumber?
Old 01-07-13, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
The 2nd scene of future Joe being transported with cuffs and hood, being instantly killed by present Joe was the biggest head-scratcher for me. I don't see how the movie benefited in any way from this.
it's timeline #1 - makes perfect sense...and is very important.
Old 01-07-13, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
it's timeline #1 - makes perfect sense...and is very important.
So timeline #1 came after timeline #2?
Old 01-07-13, 12:25 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Timeline #1 came first. When you see Young Joe shoot Old Joe, it's the beginning of a flashback from Old Joe's perspective.
Old 01-07-13, 12:42 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's how Old Joe came to be. Old Joe creates timeline #2 when he stops himself from killing himself. And that's where all crazy shit starts to happen.
Old 01-07-13, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was good. A little slow once they got to the farm, but cool ending.
Old 01-07-13, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
It's how Old Joe came to be. Old Joe creates timeline #2 when he stops himself from killing himself. And that's where all crazy shit starts to happen.
My take was
Spoiler:
in the original timeline Joe goes to Paris lives out his life, comes back and gets shot by Young Joe. Timeline 2 starts when Old Seth escapes from Young Seth. As a result of this, Abe interrogates Joe about Seth's whereabouts and in the process tells him to go to Bejing instead Paris, which he does. In Bejing, he meets the love of his life, watches her get killed, and this time escapes from his captors because he now has a reason to live, to try to save her.

EDIT: But then I guess Old Joe would still have killed himself and went on to grow old in China, so I guess that doesn't really work, or Old Joe escaping was the second ripple.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 01-07-13 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-07-13, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I found the makeup on the JGL to be a little distracting.
Same. But had Robert Forster played Old Joe, they would have REALLY nailed the makeup job!
Old 01-08-13, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

Eh, it strated out good then just turned into another typical drama flick. Nothing what I was expecting but JGL was awesome. Movie kinda sucked though.
Old 01-16-13, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Same. But had Robert Forster played Old Joe, they would have REALLY nailed the makeup job!
That or Daniel Craig.

Originally Posted by Rival11
Eh, it strated out good then just turned into another typical drama flick. Nothing what I was expecting but JGL was awesome. Movie kinda sucked though.
I feel the same way except I'd exclude the word "kinda" from the final sentence. Didn't help it was completely predictable once they introduced
Spoiler:
the kid.
The movie lost all momentum at that point and stopped being interesting or entertaining.
Old 01-19-13, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watched this again this morning. Still liked it, of course. But it occurred to me that if Joe would have thought it through a bit more, he could have just shot off his hand to stop old Joe from killing Sid (for at least long enough to explain that he is making the Rainmaker). But like he said earlier in the film, the people that take the looper job aren't the most forward-thinking bunch.
Old 01-19-13, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

The director talked about shooting the hand, he said something about old Joe then switching hands to shoot.
Old 01-19-13, 12:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that added along w/ well...Old Joe won't feel the pain. He'll probably freak the fuck out about it but assuming he's still obsessed w/ taking down the kid...there's always the other hand to take the gun. Young Joe would be fucking w/ himself more than Old Joe.
Old 01-19-13, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

To be honest, I felt that old Joe was in the right (despite being motivated by selfish reasons) but knew an American movie wouldn't have the balls to
Spoiler:
end it with him killing the boy as he should have. And, no, I don't count the offscreen kill of the other little boy since that was more a tease than where the film was willing to go.
Old 01-19-13, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Finally saw this. I thought it was good, but based on the reviews/reactions, I was expecting more of a puzzle, the kind of movie you had to piece together in the end. It was much more straight-forward than that, which I found surprising.

Did anyone else notice a continuity error, though? When Emily Blunt shot JGL, she shot him in the upper right torso. Cut to a scene of Bruce Willis finding the scar on his right shoulder. Later, Blunt is treating the wounds on JGL's left shoulder. Seemed like a very obvious error.
Old 02-04-13, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

One hole I had a problem with was the killing of Joe's wife. They made it clear in the movie that for whatever reason you couldn't get rid of a body. That should have put a spotlight on her and joe that could lead back to the big boss.

Also didn't care for the ending since that seems to go against the rules the film set in place. I wouldn't have minded it if the showed a endless paradox being created or the universe getting screwed up or anything that showed there was a consequence to what he did.
Old 11-28-14, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Originally Posted by RocShemp
I feel the same way except I'd exclude the word "kinda" from the final sentence. Didn't help it was completely predictable once they introduced
Spoiler:
the kid.
The movie lost all momentum at that point and stopped being interesting or entertaining.
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
One hole I had a problem with was the killing of Joe's wife. They made it clear in the movie that for whatever reason you couldn't get rid of a body. That should have put a spotlight on her and joe that could lead back to the big boss.

Also didn't care for the ending since that seems to go against the rules the film set in place. I wouldn't have minded it if the showed a endless paradox being created or the universe getting screwed up or anything that showed there was a consequence to what he did.
Finally watched this and I agree with all of these points.

2/5