Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you've changed your opinion on

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-19-12, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw Independence Day recently. When it came out, I thought it was fine. I was in high school and enjoyed it and thought it didn't get much better than that. Looking at it again, Ugh. I just slap my forehead and feel shame at myself for having liked it previously. I just saw cheese, cheese, cheese. Some of the movie actively made me wince.

On the flip side, I saw Casablanca a while ago and didn't hate it but found it overrated and boring. Recently though, I found myself actually enjoying it. It's happened a few more times but I cant remember for what movies right now. I like it when my opinion changes for the better because it's like things snapping in place. I've found this happening a bit throughout my life and wondered what movies have you changed opinions on?
Old 09-19-12, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts
Re: Movies you've changed your opinion on

Shawshank. I thought it was horribly boring and fell asleep the first 4-5 times I tried to watch the whole thing. I appreciate it much more now...but still hate Tim Robbins.
Old 09-19-12, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

This happens with comedies pretty regularly, usually from not caring for to liking, ie - I didn't care for Wet Hot American Summer the first time I saw it years ago but it's grown on me.

Donnie Darko is a movie I flip flopped on, I thought it was entertaining initially with a logical but shitty ending, then I went to praise it a bit, then I saw it again recently and realized how poorly made it really is, still entertaining with a shitty ending, but it's no surprise Richard Kelly has been a bit idle the last decade.
Old 09-19-12, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
I saw Independence Day recently. When it came out, I thought it was fine. I was in high school and enjoyed it and thought it didn't get much better than that. Looking at it again, Ugh. I just slap my forehead and feel shame at myself for having liked it previously. I just saw cheese, cheese, cheese. Some of the movie actively made me wince.
Kind of the opposite with me. I loved it as a kid and as I grew older I just thought it was lame. Full of cheese, ton of silly plot holes etc. So I was off it for a few years. Now just recently I caught it on cable and for some reason, I liked it again. I guess watching it now I appreciate the cheese and consider the movie to be enjoyable for the unintentional comedy.
Old 09-19-12, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Sucker Punch. I hated it in theaters, but grew to like it on Blu-ray - director's cut did it for me. It's a 'splash page' of a movie.
Old 09-19-12, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A night at the roxbury- hated to loved
Anchorman- Hated to loved
Super 8- Loved to kind of liked
Superman Returns- Hated to wish it never existed
Old 09-19-12, 01:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heat. Saw it opening night and thought it pretty good if unremarkable. Now I consider it a masterpiece and one of the best films of the 1990's. An underrated and overlooked Pacino performance imo, the only aspect of it people seem to dwell on are his three 'interrogation' scenes.
Old 09-19-12, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Brazil -- saw it at 15 and TOTALLY. FUCKING. HATED IT.

Saw it again at 24 and it was blown away. Just destroyed by how brilliant it is. Now it's my favorite movie of all time. At one point in the 90s I was broke as a joke but ate noodles and Taco Bell for a long time just to purchase the Criterion CAV laserdisc box set. My LD player is long gone but I still have the set. What a magnificent box!! And the LD set was nice too.
Old 09-19-12, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

Boogie Nights, saw it opening night and was less than impressed. I thought it was sloppy, poorly put togther, clearly just a bunch of random shit thrown at the screen. Got sucked into watching it again when it came out on video and thought it was a masterpiece. All the surrogate family relationships between the character's was clear, the progression of the story was engrossing, I loved it. Wahlberg's performance was first rate. I'm very impressed when someone can play a character that stupid, not for comedic purposes, but winning my sympathy.

I've come around on Day of the Dead, which I initially thought was boring. It is still my least favorite of the Romero trilogy, but large chunks of the movie are superb.
Old 09-19-12, 02:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Iron Man ...saw it in a horrible theater with horrible people. terrible experience that made me not love the movie itself. now, comes to be one of my most watched and favorite of past 5 years.
Old 09-19-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Mean Streets
Given all the hype I read about it in the early 90s, I was expecting some sort of GOODFELLAS Part 2. It ended up being a complete dud to me.
Re-visited the movie via TCM showing a few years back and could finally see the acclaim. It felt like every Crime-Indie I've ever seen has been influenced by this.
Old 09-19-12, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

The original Dawn of the Dead. Thought it sucked the first time I saw it. Rewatched it a couple years later and liked it a lot. Saw it a third time yet a few years later and was onboard with the biggest fans.

Next I'll give Susperia another chance eventhough I hated it much more the first time I saw it. But hey, people keep telling me how fantastic it is.
Old 09-19-12, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Alien^3

Didn't like when I first saw it 15 years ago--I mean, they killed everyone from the second movie, dammit!

But, it was so damned compelling that I had to watch it again. And over time, I realized how well made (though flawed) it was. I also watched Alien Resurrection the same year and that mess provided a stark contrast to Alien^3's brilliance.

And for the record: I prefer the Theatrical cut to the Producers Cut by a thousand times.
Old 09-19-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Natural Born Killers

The first time I saw it I absolutely hated it.

Now I enjoy it for the comedy it is.
Old 09-19-12, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

When I saw Unforgiven in the theater I didn't care for it all that much, but have grown to love it. Most of that is due to the fact it was advertized as a typcial Western, when it's actually the ultimate anti-Western...so I went into the film with different expectations.

Men In Black is a movie I initially liked a lot, but have enjoyed less and less over the years (to the point where I'm not even interested in owning it on Blu-ray). I haven't done a 180 on it by any means...I still like it, but at the time, I thought it was was fantastic, and now it just seems like another sci-fi comedy.
Old 09-19-12, 03:14 PM
Banned

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Saw it in the theater and almost walked out. Now it is one of my favorites.
Old 09-19-12, 03:39 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Expendables. First time I was like wtf. Then lowered my expectations and enjoyed it more the second time around.
Old 09-19-12, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

There are probably dozens of movies I'd change my opinion on if I'd only bother to watch them again. Problem is, if I didn't like it when I first saw it, I'm reluctant to watch it again. And if I DID like it when I first saw it, I'd only re-watch it if I really, REALLY REALLY liked it.

The one film I can think of, though, where I did a 180-degree turn was BLUE VELVET. In my journal, after first seeing it, I wrote that it was "vile." Yet something about it kept haunting me and I went back to see it again when I got the chance (both times on the big screen) and I liked it a lot the second time. Don't know what it was that bothered me the first time.
Old 09-19-12, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

2001: A Space Odyssey and A Clockwork Orange - these were two of the first movies I watched after branching out from my comfort zone of horror and anime movies in my late teens (right around the time I discovered this site) and my dislike of both was really just a case of me not understanding what I was watching at that time. I revisited both of them a few months later and saw how brilliant they really were.

Natural Born Killers - I liked this when I first saw it around 17 or 18 but when I watched it a few years later, I hated it. I thought it looked like a bad music video director directed it, which I heard was the way it was supposed to look, but just because it was supposed to look like a grungy music video doesn't make me like it anymore than I do.

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I've come around on Day of the Dead, which I initially thought was boring. It is still my least favorite of the Romero trilogy, but large chunks of the movie are superb.
I've grown to appreciate Day of the Dead more through repeated viewings, but I also still consider the weakest of Romero's zombie trilogy.

Originally Posted by Gunde
Next I'll give Susperia another chance eventhough I hated it much more the first time I saw it. But hey, people keep telling me how fantastic it is.
I saw this about a year and a half ago and I really didn't see what was so hyped about it either. Visually, I thought it looked good, but the storyline was a complete dud for me. Maybe I'll give it a rewatch next month.

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
There are probably dozens of movies I'd change my opinion on if I'd only bother to watch them again. Problem is, if I didn't like it when I first saw it, I'm reluctant to watch it again. And if I DID like it when I first saw it, I'd only re-watch it if I really, REALLY REALLY liked it.
That's how I am with movies; if I don't like a movie during my initial viewing there's a very slim chance I will go back and rewatch it. Usually once I have an opinion about a movie, I don't change it. If my opinion on a movie does change after a rewatch, its usually for the worse, not better (which has been happening with a lot of anime I've been revisiting)

Last edited by big e; 09-19-12 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-19-12, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

The Big Lebowski - At first, I never understood all the love. Then you have the nerds who go to the Lebowskifest every year. Thought Bridges was just lame in his role and Goodman never even stood out to me.

Years later, I will never understand how Goodman didn't stand out to me as his Charachter in this film is his best ever.

Bridges delivers his lines perfectly and his mannerisms are excellent (he even said during the making he would never go outside the dialouge the brothers wrote because of how good it was).

Just the entire movie - I love it now and watch it quite often.
Old 09-19-12, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

The Prestige.On the first viewing the Transported Man method seemed too out of the blue. Now I've come to really enjoy it.
Old 09-19-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Searchers. I hated it when I first saw it. I was thrown off by its odd mix of slapstick humor, melodrama, and racism. I don't know if I necessarily love it now, but it's a damn good movie. It feels like a slice of old-fashioned Americana. There are tragedies, events that can often consume you. But life manages to carry on in spite of everything.
Old 09-19-12, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - When I first saw it at like 11 or 12 I was expecting some gore-soaked splatter film, and was disappointed that it wasn't. Didn't watch it again for years but now I really appreciate it.
Old 09-19-12, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Brazil -- saw it at 15 and TOTALLY. FUCKING. HATED IT.

Saw it again at 24 and it was blown away. Just destroyed by how brilliant it is. Now it's my favorite movie of all time. At one point in the 90s I was broke as a joke but ate noodles and Taco Bell for a long time just to purchase the Criterion CAV laserdisc box set. My LD player is long gone but I still have the set. What a magnificent box!! And the LD set was nice too.
I still got my CAV laserdisc box set too. It is a beauty.

I used to love watching the original "Little Shop of Horrors" as a kid. I just cringe at the thought of watching it now.

I was extremely disappointed in Bladerunner when I saw it in the theater. I still bought the laserdisc the next year anyway and loved it. I kept showing it to my friends and coworkers who also loved it.

For whatever reason, I hated Pleasantville when I saw it in the theater. I finally caught it again on cable and watched it several times in the same day.
Old 09-19-12, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The Hunger -
I thought this movie was the shit when it first came out, and I couldn't wait to show it to my wife when it hit dvd. I was shocked to find it a fatuous, superficial sack of nonsense, with nice breasts. No disrespect to the late Tony Scott.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.