Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What do you this think of Scarface (1983)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What do you this think of Scarface (1983)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What do you this think of Scarface (1983)

I liked it better until it was featured on almost every episode of MTV Cribs back in the day. "Yo, you gotsta have dis moovy if u uh real gangsta."
Old 09-17-12, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
I wonder if Scarface is the shark jump career moment when Al Pacino became an over-the-top cheesy actor.
Before then, he was great in almost everything I can think of. But sometime in the early '80s, he changed and has been a cheesy actor in almost every role since then.
Did it start with Scarface in 1983, or was there a cheesy performance before that one?
1969 Me, Natalie
1971 The Panic in Needle Park
1972 The Godfather
1973 Scarecrow
1973 Serpico
1974 The Godfather Part II
1975 Dog Day Afternoon
1977 Bobby Deerfield
1979 ...And Justice for All
1980 Cruising
1982 Author! Author!
1983 Scarface
1985 Revolution
1989 Sea of Love
1990 The Local Stigmatic
1990 The Godfather Part III
1991 Frankie and Johnny
1992 Glengarry Glen Ross
1992 Scent of a Woman
1993 Carlito's Way
1995 Two Bits
1995 Heat
1996 Looking for Richard
1996 City Hall
1997 Donnie Brasco
1997 The Devil's Advocate
1999 The Insider
1999 Any Given Sunday
2000 Chinese Coffee
2002 Insomnia
2002 S1m0ne
2002 People I Know
2003 The Recruit
2003 Gigli
2003 Angels in America
2004 The Merchant of Venice
2005 Two for the Money
2007 Ocean's Thirteen
2007 88 Minutes
2008 Righteous Kill
2010 You Don't Know Jack
2011 The Son of No One
Old 09-17-12, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love scarface the movie is a classic. But Rappers make such a big deal about the movie, they be like oh this how i grew up this, and that , and they connect themselves with tony Montana. Then like the previous poster mention all you see on MTV cribs is rappers showing this movie, and saying the same bull crap story. Makes you not want to see the damn movie, When the special edition DVD came out a few years ago that def jam feature was a waste of time and space.
Old 09-17-12, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

at the butthurt from people in this thread because rappers like the movie.
Old 09-17-12, 07:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dhmac
I wonder if Scarface is the shark jump career moment when Al Pacino became an over-the-top cheesy actor. Before then, he was great in almost everything I can think of. But sometime in the early '80s, he changed and has been a cheesy actor in almost every role since then. Did it start with Scarface in 1983, or was there a cheesy performance before that one?
One thing for sure his voice has never been the same.
Even in (1985) Revolution Pacino's voice sounds like Tony Montana.
Because of his great performances in the 70's no comic was able to mimic him like they do many celebs. Today it's easy to do a Pacino like comics did James Cagney in the past.
Old 09-17-12, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Comparing his quiet, studied performance in Cruising (1980) to his frothing at the mouth, over the top histrionics in Scarface three years later is quiet jarring.
Old 09-17-12, 10:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by philly1981
I love scarface the movie is a classic. But Rappers make such a big deal about the movie, they be like oh this how i grew up this, and that , and they connect themselves with tony Montana. Then like the previous poster mention all you see on MTV cribs is rappers showing this movie, and saying the same bull crap story. Makes you not want to see the damn movie, When the special edition DVD came out a few years ago that def jam feature was a waste of time and space.
Can you be anymore annoying and special? I'll answer for you yes you most certainly can.
Old 09-17-12, 10:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I liked it better until it was featured on almost every episode of MTV Cribs back in the day. "Yo, you gotsta have dis moovy if u uh real gangsta."
Something tells me you wouldn't have the balls to say this to the face of the people you are making fun of.
The amount of racism/stereotyping in this post is pretty predictable given this boards views on race sometimes. Our great moderator, Suprmallet, will be right there to moderate all this activity. I'm sure of it.
Old 09-17-12, 10:56 PM

[QUOTE=bootsy;11389066]Can you be anymore annoying and special? I'll answer for you yes you most certainly can.[/QUOTE

first of all what is your problem ? second of all i was just stating my opinion that's all if you don't like it then don't read what i write. No need to attack people
Old 09-17-12, 11:16 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=philly1981;11389114]
Originally Posted by bootsy
Can you be anymore annoying and special? I'll answer for you yes you most certainly can.[/QUOTE

first of all what is your problem ? second of all i was just stating my opinion that's all if you don't like it then don't read what i write. No need to attack people
I should be asking you this question not the other way around. Anyway my problem is you singling out rappers and then going on this freaking rant about how you can't enjoy Scarface because of it. If it is that deep for you then maybe there are some deeper issues for you.
Old 09-17-12, 11:16 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats interesting about Cruising. Has anyone watched Author Author? the one he did right before this one as a family man.
Old 09-17-12, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it was Scent of a Woman that changed Pacino.
Old 09-17-12, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Something tells me you wouldn't have the balls to say this to the face of the people you are making fun of.
The amount of racism/stereotyping in this post is pretty predictable given this boards views on race sometimes. Our great moderator, Suprmallet, will be right there to moderate all this activity. I'm sure of it.
Mocking ignorant rappers doesn't equal racism. The documentary as well as episodes of MTV Cribs show grown men praising the movie and character of Tony Montana, while in their own music they promote the gang life and mentality to a highly impressionable crowd.

I should be asking you this question not the other way around. Anyway my problem is you singling out rappers and then going on this freaking rant about how you can't enjoy Scarface because of it. If it is that deep for you then maybe there are some deeper issues for you.
Me and my friends bought the 2-Disc DVD when it first came out and even back then we thought the Def Jam documentary was stupid and the music we listened to was 2pac, Mac Dre and west coast rap.

It was both funny and sad to see musicians glorify a piece of trash like Tony Montana. And add me to the list of people who started to dislike the movie when a segment of hip-hop rediscovered the film. But that alone wouldn't do it. I'm tired in general of Hollywood and the music industry of promoting the gangster or drug dealer as the sympathetic anti-hero.

Last edited by brayzie; 09-17-12 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-17-12, 11:38 PM

[QUOTE=bootsy;11389136]

First of all it was not a rant cause i did not cursed, second of all i have the movie i watch it every now and then. All i said is that you just here the same old story of rappers saying the same thing again, and,again about the movie sometimes it makes you not to watch the movie that's all. So if you took my opinion very personal then you yourself have some issues. By the way i like rap before you start labeling me or any other personal that has the same opinion as i do a racist.
Old 09-17-12, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by brayzie
Mocking ignorant rappers doesn't equal racism. The documentary as well as episodes of MTV Cribs show grown men praising the movie and character of Tony Montana, while in their own music they promote the gang life and mentality to a highly impressionable crowd.

Me and my friends bought the 2-Disc DVD when it first came out and even back then we thought the Def Jam documentary was stupid and the music we listened to was 2pac, Mac Dre and west coast rap.

"The movie's not about selling drugs, it's about coming up," was one of many comments showing Nore to be ignorant. And add me to the list of people who started to dislike the movie when a segment of hip-hop rediscovered the film. But that alone wouldn't do it. I'm tired in general of Hollywood promoting the gangster or drug dealer as the sympathetic anti-hero.
Thank you and amen you could have not said it any better. But be careful they might label you as a racist
Old 09-17-12, 11:46 PM
Banned

LOL this is exactly what I mean. How do you know they are ignorant? That sure does equal racism, stereotyping, etc.
Old 09-17-12, 11:47 PM
Banned

Thank you and amen you could have not said it any better. But be careful they might label you as a racist
You are one and you showed that tonight and you got called out for it.
Old 09-17-12, 11:49 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=philly1981;11389164]

First of all it was not a rant cause i did not cursed, second of all i have the movie i watch it every now and then. All i said is that you just here the same old story of rappers saying the same thing again, and,again about the movie sometimes it makes you not to watch the movie that's all. So if you took my opinion very personal then you yourself have some issues. By the way i like rap before you start labeling me or any other personal that has the same opinion as i do a racist.
You like rap really? Are one your "friends" black/Hispanic too?
Old 09-17-12, 11:49 PM

You are one and you showed that tonight and you got called out for it.
Im not being a racist so if that's how you see it than you have issues lol i was just speaking my mind that's all.
Old 09-17-12, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

LOL this is exactly what I mean. How do you know they are ignorant? That sure does equal racism, stereotyping, etc.
Because I listened to their music growing up, I watched their music videos on MTV and RapCity, I read their interviews in magazines like The Source, XXL, Vibe, and Rolling Stone. Growing up I also saw the effect that these albums and movies had in reinforcing the gangster mentality on my generation.

If you want me to cite examples of these musicians spouting ignorant comments and philosophies I'm more than happy to do it.
Old 09-17-12, 11:51 PM

[QUOTE=bootsy;11389178]

You like rap really? Are one your "friends" that is black/Hispanic too?
yes i have friends that are black,and, Hispanic and, i have ask them how come these rappers be over hyping the film so much that some times it makes you not want to watch it at times. They agree with me also, I love the film like i said before.
Old 09-17-12, 11:52 PM
Banned

Because I listened to their music growing up, I watched their music videos on MTV and RapCity, I read their interviews in magazines like The Source, XXL, Vibe, and Rolling Stone. Growing up I also saw the effect that these albums and movies had in reinforcing the gangster mentality on my generation.
So that makes them ignorant? Ok whatever man.
Old 09-17-12, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So that makes them ignorant? Ok whatever man.
I was judging them by their words and actions. Silly me.

Cam'ron was one of the artists on Def Jam's Scarface soundtrack. Here's some ignorance coming from his own mouth when asked by Anderson Cooper what would he do if he knew a serial killer was living next door to him:

"I wouldn't call and tell anybody on him but I'll probably move because I don't need to be living around serial killers."

Last edited by brayzie; 09-18-12 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-18-12, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Snitches get stitches B...
Old 09-18-12, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Snitches get stitches B...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.