DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/604482-do-you-think-clint-eastwood-speaking-rnc-will-affect-his-new-movies-bo.html)

PenguinJoe 09-03-12 04:14 PM

Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
Just wondering if America will turn out for his new movie.

wm lopez 09-03-12 04:38 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
Only the conservatives who were not planning on seeing it at the theater.
Although the reviews from the critics I expect to be bad.
Be sure to see Roger Ebert's review when it comes out to see if I'm right.

JumpCutz 09-03-12 04:46 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
Well it looks pretty bad, kind of like a lot of his recent films.

Troy Stiffler 09-03-12 04:48 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
I will. Clint Eastwood is my hero. Like the politics or not. Make fun of it if you want. And it doesn't sway my distaste for Republican stigma. But it takes a manly man to get up and talk like that.

Clint is a man who takes care of business. Hollywood has it's stand-up liberals to (like James Cameron).

Bah. I could write a love letter to Clint Eastwood. I'd rather just exchange a stoic look and go on my way.

So I guess it makes me like Clint more. But still won't sway me from voting Obama.

JumpCutz 09-03-12 04:53 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
To be fair Clint is closer to a libertarian and he's certainly not a social conservative crazy.

wm lopez 09-03-12 04:53 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 

Originally Posted by troystiffler (Post 11369992)
I will. Clint Eastwood is my hero. Like the politics or not. Make fun of it if you want. And it doesn't sway my distaste for Republican stigma. But it takes a manly man to get up and talk like that.

Clint is a man who takes care of business. Hollywood has it's stand-up liberals to (like James Cameron).

Bah. I could write a love letter to Clint Eastwood. I'd rather just exchange a stoic look and go on my way.

So I guess it makes me like Clint more. But still won't sway me from voting Obama.

So you'll go see Clint's movie if it's good or bad and you'll vote for Obama cause you don't care if he's done good or bad job. I guess that makes sense.

Supermallet 09-03-12 04:57 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
And you won't vote for Obama if he's done a good job or bad, wm_lopez, so how about we leave the Obama comments out of it, since this thread is explicitly about Clint Eastwood?

PopcornTreeCt 09-03-12 05:04 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
I think Changeling was his last movie he made that I enjoyed. But no, it has no affect.

wm lopez 09-03-12 05:12 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11370010)
And you won't vote for Obama if he's done a good job or bad, wm_lopez, so how about we leave the Obama comments out of it, since this thread is explicitly about Clint Eastwood?

Clint Eastwood has gone on record that he is a liberal.
He has the respect of Sean Penn who didn't want to attend the Oscars but Clint said that he would make Penn go.
I can't think of any movie character that Clint has played good guy or bad guy that didn't seem to have good judgement. So both liberals and conservatives should be asking themselves that maybe Clint's right.
People turned out for Brad Pitt's MONEYBALL so I think they will for this movie too.

Supermallet 09-03-12 05:14 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
His politics will have no impact on the box office take on his movies. The reason the question was asked was because the chair stunt at the RNC made him look like a silly old man. I think it will not impact the BO take of his movie, though.

Lt Ripley 09-03-12 05:17 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
I have no problem watching a film with an actor/actress that I disagree with politically. That said, the new movie doesn't look like my cup of tea.

Solid Snake 09-03-12 05:22 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
Why the fuck does it really matter what his politics are? I watch movies for his work onscreen...not wtf he does in his normal life. I don't give a shit about that..though I would love to meet him cuz he seems like a really nice mellow man.

d2cheer 09-03-12 05:23 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
No.

Troy Stiffler 09-03-12 05:35 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 

Originally Posted by wm lopez (Post 11370005)
So you'll go see Clint's movie if it's good or bad and you'll vote for Obama cause you don't care if he's done good or bad job. I guess that makes sense.

I'll go and see Clint's movie because I'm an open-minded person and don't get caught up in what other people have to say. I'm voting for Obama because I don't think that the Republicans have it in them to make a difference in the world.

Or just for you, I'll vote for Obama because we're in a battle of good vs evil. And Romney is the antichrist or something. But Christians (pretend or real) willfully hope for such a thing, because they're psychotic and think that we live in a world where demons are going to come to earth and there will be a battle of angels vs demons.

Really, I'm voting for Obama because current conesrvative Republican ideals make me feel like a bad person.

I wouldn't mind if Obama loses. One guy will probably do the same crappy job as the other. Luckily, politics don't have much affect on the way I live. Nothing is really that different now for me, than it was ten years ago. Republicans can ruin another four years and we can go back to complaining about them. Fox News will go from the offense to the defense and spin damage control. Everything the Republicans screw up will be spun in a positive way. And problems inherited will be blamed on Liberals.

Edit: Sowwy, Supermallet

whotony 09-03-12 05:47 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 11370022)
I think Changeling was his last movie he made that I enjoyed. But no, it has no affect.

Haven't seen Gran Torino?

Troy Stiffler 09-03-12 05:49 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 11370057)
Haven't seen Gran Torino?

Awesome movie. But that was before Chalenging.

whotony 09-03-12 05:51 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
It was?

doesnt seem that long ago.

Mike86 09-03-12 05:53 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
I actually think his new movie looks pretty good to be honest. I'll see it regardless of his comments. :shrug:

Supermallet 09-03-12 05:55 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 

Originally Posted by troystiffler (Post 11370059)
Awesome movie. But that was before Chalenging.

No, Changeling came out in October 2008, Gran Torino came out December 2008.

Crocker Jarmen 09-03-12 06:12 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 

Originally Posted by wm lopez (Post 11369978)
Although the reviews from the critics I expect to be bad.
Be sure to see Roger Ebert's review when it comes out to see if I'm right.

Well, so far it looks like you're wrong about Ebert.


Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
I've seen his new film, "Trouble with the Curve," and it is wonderful. Let me be clear: I love this man. I don't give a damn what his politics are. For me it was the same with John Wayne.

Anyway, I thought Gran Torino was supposed to be his last acting role. I don't know anything about this movie, so I'm curious what made him want to come back. I'm assuming it isn't some movie like The Bucket List.

PopcornTreeCt 09-03-12 06:13 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 11370057)
Haven't seen Gran Torino?

Yeah, I hate that movie with a passion.

Drexl 09-03-12 06:14 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
No, I don't think it will have an impact. But then again, most of us can't answer this question based on how we feel. I mean, we're movie buffs; we don't care what an actor's politics are, or if the movie contains a scene with a shootout in a theater. It's the average joe that may be more sensitive.

Maybe they can get Justin Timberlake to perform at the DNC to balance things out.

onebyone 09-03-12 06:45 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
He's Clint Eastwood.

Either way, he'll be alright.

wm lopez 09-03-12 06:49 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11370033)
His politics will have no impact on the box office take on his movies. The reason the question was asked was because the chair stunt at the RNC made him look like a silly old man. I think it will not impact the BO take of his movie, though.

George Clooney and Spike Lee have been hurt at the box-office because of their politics. Their movies always get good reviews but don't do well at the box-office. They have more misses than hits.

stingermck 09-03-12 06:55 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 

K&AJones 09-03-12 06:58 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
Safe to say he won't be on Letterman anytime soon but so what. And it's a sure bet no matter what he does he'll never win a Oscar period.

Supermallet 09-03-12 07:00 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 

Originally Posted by wm lopez (Post 11370125)
George Clooney and Spike Lee have been hurt at the box-office because of their politics. Their movies always get good reviews but don't do well at the box-office. They have more misses than hits.

Have they, though? Could it be they're simply making movies that don't seem very interesting?

JumpCutz 09-03-12 07:06 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 

Originally Posted by K&AJones (Post 11370134)
Safe to say he won't be on Letterman anytime soon but so what. And it's a sure bet no matter what he does he'll never win a Oscar period.


Well he'll never win an Oscar for his acting that much is guaranteed. He's a mediocre actor at best.

clckworang 09-03-12 07:09 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 11370086)
Anyway, I thought Gran Torino was supposed to be his last acting role. I don't know anything about this movie, so I'm curious what made him want to come back. I'm assuming it isn't some movie like The Bucket List.

I think I remember reading that this is the first film to be directed by someone who worked as a producer for him on a few movies or something like that. I just remember thinking it had to with being swayed by his prior working relationship with the guy.


Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11370137)
Have they, though? Could it be they're simply making movies that don't seem very interesting?

I agree. They aren't really making the type of movies that will be mondo blockbusters.

Michael Corvin 09-03-12 08:27 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
He's a crotchety old rich white man spewing crotchety old rich white man politics. It was as surprising as the sun coming up.

mickey65 09-03-12 08:34 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
I still love Clint - no matter his poor choice of political leanings.

Heck, I still like Mel Gibson, even tho he's apparently an a-hole off-screen.

inri222 09-03-12 09:15 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
I still love Robert Duvall even though he is a Sarah Palin supporter.

Groucho 09-03-12 09:26 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 

Originally Posted by K&AJones (Post 11370134)
Safe to say he won't be on Letterman anytime soon but so what. And it's a sure bet no matter what he does he'll never win a Oscar period.

:hscratch: He's won two, plus he's received the Thalberg award and multiple nominations.

Rizor 09-03-12 10:11 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 

Originally Posted by wm lopez (Post 11370125)
George Clooney and Spike Lee have been hurt at the box-office because of their politics. Their movies always get good reviews but don't do well at the box-office. They have more misses than hits.

I think it has more to do with their films being relatively non-commercial rather than their politics.

cungar 09-03-12 10:18 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
The only thing he said that bothered me was when he said he cried when Obama was elected. Like McCain/Palin would have been cause for joy.

Charlie Goose 09-03-12 10:41 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
I love Clint Eastwood, he's my all-time favorite actor.

I agree with a lot of his political views, but he did come off poorly at the RNC.

I almost definitely will not see his new movie in the theater, only because the subject doesn't really interest me.

I will likely see it on DVD just because I love Eastwood.

I don't think it will affect the BO.

Roybq 09-03-12 10:57 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
I don't think Eastwood's political views will affect the BO of this movie at all. He's got 50+ years of work under his belt and one 12-15 speech isn't going to spoil his film history or future.

Josh-da-man 09-03-12 11:46 PM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
I wasn't interested in that baseball before the speech, and I'm not interested in it now.

Mr. Flix 09-04-12 07:00 AM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
Anytime any actor (or entertainment star in general) opens their mouth to make a public political statement, even if I agree with them, my respect for them goes down. So you can memorize a script and re-enact it with creativity and talent? So you can write a song and perform it well? And these abilities have brought you fame and recognition? Why does this somehow make you an authority on politics and worthy to be listened to?

I like Matt Damon as an actor and have enjoyed many of his movies, but I HATE how self-important he gets in interviews concerning politics. I wish celebs (including Eastwood, who I happen to agree with) would just do their jobs well and keep their yawning maws out of the political arena (unless they're actually running for office, of course, then that's a different matter).

Lastdaysofrain 09-04-12 07:18 AM

Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?
 
They are people who live in America, why are they not entitled to a political opinion? I never understood that argument. SO you're a plumber, or a crossing guard or the CEO of a company, why do that somehow make you an authority on politics and worthy to be listened to?

That's a ridiculous argument. They are public figures, so often their opinion may be heard more easily and louder than an average person, but that doesn't make it any less valid.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.