Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-12, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?

It will be a relatively big hit. It definitely won't be a flop.

either it does as expected, or it will go chick-fil-a and have gonzo box-office just from political supporters.

I know I will see it...Clint is the man. One of the best American film directors alive today, and this perhaps may be a last chance at seeing him as an actor.

Throw in the delightfully delicious Amy Adamsa and uberpopular Timberlake, with the a universally liked baseball theme...and you'll have a hit movie.

As far as politicls, Clint is not even Republican, nor did he actually endorse Romney...his goal is to make sure that Obama does not get reelected and further destroy America. Clint tells it like it is, he is a true and great American. and the love for his integrity and genuine approach to life will be reflected in the support for his movie.
Old 09-04-12, 02:22 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?

Has anybody ever used the term "_______ tells it like it is" and not meant "_______ agrees with me"?
Old 09-04-12, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by banthafett
This new movie wasnt going to make much money anyways, but now it will just be blamed on his speech.
Probably most likely. It's possible it could catch fire if it's good enough to be in the best-pic running (similar to other Eastwood hits), but I think it'll end up being a "good but not great" type of film. 50-60mill - which is fine for what I'm assuming the budget is.
Old 09-04-12, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
I see, so basically anyone who uses the media to express their political opinions should not do so unless they are running for office...Is that correct?
No... like I've said three times now, I'm against anyone who thinks that just because they're a celebrity their political opinion is worth mass distribution.

It reminds me of those, "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV" commercials. I want to laugh in the face of any celebrity who has convinced themselves that they're an authority on ANYTHING just because they're famous.
Old 09-04-12, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Trouble With The Curve is a pretty low budget movie for Hollywood (probably cost around $30 million) with Eastwood basically working for scale (and perhaps a few back end points) for his pal Robert Lorenz, who is making his directorial debut (after being first assistant director on most of Eastwood's movies the last couple of decades).

It's not going to make $100 million, but it should turn a healthy profit, and will most likely be remembered as the last movie Clint ACTED in (he's reportedly said this is it for him in front of the camera).
Old 09-04-12, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Has anybody ever used the term "_______ tells it like it is" and not meant "_______ agrees with me"?
Nope.
Old 09-04-12, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
No... like I've said three times now, I'm against anyone who thinks that just because they're a celebrity their political opinion is worth mass distribution.

It reminds me of those, "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV" commercials. I want to laugh in the face of any celebrity who has convinced themselves that they're an authority on ANYTHING just because they're famous.
So who can express their political views in the media then that you are okay with?
Old 09-04-12, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

To be fair, it's our own culture that worships celebrities and puts these people on a pedestal. Every time they go out we snap pictures of them and stick a microphone in their face, I mean what do you expect will happen? We are just as much to blame, Our pop culture has created a vicious cycle of this shit.
Old 09-04-12, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jaymole
So who can express their political views in the media then?
ANYONE can. My original point was and still is: I personally lose respect for entertainers who put themselves forward as political authorities and use their celebrity like some sort of badge that reads, "I should be taken SERIOUSLY!" And unfortunately, because they're famous, a lot of people DO take them seriously. It's a whole cult of personality thing that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 09-04-12, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

No, I liked Reagan. Like I said before (read my post again), it's a different ball of wax if a celebrity actually dips their toe into the arena by running for office. I'm fine with that, because they're actually DOING something actively as opposed to just being a talking head who assumes their opinion is worthy of national broadcast simply because they're famous.
Well, Eastwood did run for office. He was the mayor of Carmel, CA back in the 80s. I'm not saying that makes his opinion any more or less valid, but he does have experience in that arena.
Old 09-04-12, 11:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 09-05-12, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheKing
Well, Eastwood did run for office. He was the mayor of Carmel, CA back in the 80s. I'm not saying that makes his opinion any more or less valid, but he does have experience in that arena.
Yep, you're right, I totally forgot about that. Consider me educated! :-)
Old 09-05-12, 11:47 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the RNC has Clint Eastwood speaking and the DNC has Natalie Portman, Scarlett Johansson and The Foo Fighters?

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...an-washington/
Old 09-05-12, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm really surprised the DNC isn't rolling out George Clooney.
Old 09-05-12, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Rush Limbaugh was in the film, it wouldn't keep my from seeing another Amy Adams films.

And, political crap aside, I think it looks quite good.

I do have some issues with Cruise and Gibson, but it's because their weird behavior has gone on long enough where it does impact my ability to not think about them as just their characters.

I will have no such problem with Clint Eastwood.