Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?

Old 09-03-12, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?

Safe to say he won't be on Letterman anytime soon but so what. And it's a sure bet no matter what he does he'll never win a Oscar period.
Old 09-03-12, 07:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Do you think Clint Eastwood speaking at the RNC will affect his new movie's BO?

Originally Posted by wm lopez View Post
George Clooney and Spike Lee have been hurt at the box-office because of their politics. Their movies always get good reviews but don't do well at the box-office. They have more misses than hits.
Have they, though? Could it be they're simply making movies that don't seem very interesting?
Old 09-03-12, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
Safe to say he won't be on Letterman anytime soon but so what. And it's a sure bet no matter what he does he'll never win a Oscar period.

Well he'll never win an Oscar for his acting that much is guaranteed. He's a mediocre actor at best.
Old 09-03-12, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
Anyway, I thought Gran Torino was supposed to be his last acting role. I don't know anything about this movie, so I'm curious what made him want to come back. I'm assuming it isn't some movie like The Bucket List.
I think I remember reading that this is the first film to be directed by someone who worked as a producer for him on a few movies or something like that. I just remember thinking it had to with being swayed by his prior working relationship with the guy.

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Have they, though? Could it be they're simply making movies that don't seem very interesting?
I agree. They aren't really making the type of movies that will be mondo blockbusters.
Old 09-03-12, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

He's a crotchety old rich white man spewing crotchety old rich white man politics. It was as surprising as the sun coming up.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 09-03-12 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-03-12, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still love Clint - no matter his poor choice of political leanings.

Heck, I still like Mel Gibson, even tho he's apparently an a-hole off-screen.
Old 09-03-12, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I still love Robert Duvall even though he is a Sarah Palin supporter.
Old 09-03-12, 09:26 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
He's won two, plus he's received the Thalberg award and multiple nominations.
Old 09-03-12, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

George Clooney and Spike Lee have been hurt at the box-office because of their politics. Their movies always get good reviews but don't do well at the box-office. They have more misses than hits.
I think it has more to do with their films being relatively non-commercial rather than their politics.
Old 09-03-12, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only thing he said that bothered me was when he said he cried when Obama was elected. Like McCain/Palin would have been cause for joy.
Old 09-03-12, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love Clint Eastwood, he's my all-time favorite actor.

I agree with a lot of his political views, but he did come off poorly at the RNC.

I almost definitely will not see his new movie in the theater, only because the subject doesn't really interest me.

I will likely see it on DVD just because I love Eastwood.

I don't think it will affect the BO.
Old 09-03-12, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think Eastwood's political views will affect the BO of this movie at all. He's got 50+ years of work under his belt and one 12-15 speech isn't going to spoil his film history or future.
Old 09-03-12, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

I wasn't interested in that baseball before the speech, and I'm not interested in it now.
Old 09-04-12, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Anytime any actor (or entertainment star in general) opens their mouth to make a public political statement, even if I agree with them, my respect for them goes down. So you can memorize a script and re-enact it with creativity and talent? So you can write a song and perform it well? And these abilities have brought you fame and recognition? Why does this somehow make you an authority on politics and worthy to be listened to?

I like Matt Damon as an actor and have enjoyed many of his movies, but I HATE how self-important he gets in interviews concerning politics. I wish celebs (including Eastwood, who I happen to agree with) would just do their jobs well and keep their yawning maws out of the political arena (unless they're actually running for office, of course, then that's a different matter).
Old 09-04-12, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They are people who live in America, why are they not entitled to a political opinion? I never understood that argument. SO you're a plumber, or a crossing guard or the CEO of a company, why do that somehow make you an authority on politics and worthy to be listened to?

That's a ridiculous argument. They are public figures, so often their opinion may be heard more easily and louder than an average person, but that doesn't make it any less valid.
Old 09-04-12, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Doesn't matter what an actor's political stance is, so no, it doesn't affect me and it won't affect the BO for his new film.
Old 09-04-12, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain View Post
They are people who live in America, why are they not entitled to a political opinion? I never understood that argument. SO you're a plumber, or a crossing guard or the CEO of a company, why do that somehow make you an authority on politics and worthy to be listened to?
I agree that they have freedom of speech and are entitled to an opinion. But a plumber, crossing guard, and CEO of a company aren't given the platform that celebs are. Celebs are given access to the airwaves with their opinion, allowing them to use their star power to elevate and magnify said opinion. My point is that, just because they're famous doesn't mean they deserve such a platform. But many of them assume that it does.

I'm not arguing against the freedom of speech. I'm arguing against that assumed line between celebrity and automatic political influence.

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain View Post
They are public figures, so often their opinion may be heard more easily and louder than an average person, but that doesn't make it any less valid.
It doesn't make it any more valid, either. But many of them behave as if it does.
Old 09-04-12, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix View Post
Anytime any actor (or entertainment star in general) opens their mouth to make a public political statement, even if I agree with them, my respect for them goes down. So you can memorize a script and re-enact it with creativity and talent? So you can write a song and perform it well? And these abilities have brought you fame and recognition? Why does this somehow make you an authority on politics and worthy to be listened to?
Then you must have really hated Ronald Reagen
Old 09-04-12, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
Then you must have really hated Ronald Reagen
No, I liked Reagan. Like I said before (read my post again), it's a different ball of wax if a celebrity actually dips their toe into the arena by running for office. I'm fine with that, because they're actually DOING something actively as opposed to just being a talking head who assumes their opinion is worthy of national broadcast simply because they're famous.
Old 09-04-12, 08:30 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

That reminds, whatever happened to Joe the Plumber?
Old 09-04-12, 11:11 AM
Suspended

This new movie wasnt going to make much money anyways, but now it will just be blamed on his speech.
Old 09-04-12, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
That reminds, whatever happened to Joe the Plumber?
Still not a plumber.
Old 09-04-12, 12:24 PM
Banned

No. It was going to bomb regardless.
Old 09-04-12, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix View Post
No, I liked Reagan. Like I said before (read my post again), it's a different ball of wax if a celebrity actually dips their toe into the arena by running for office. I'm fine with that, because they're actually DOING something actively as opposed to just being a talking head who assumes their opinion is worthy of national broadcast simply because they're famous.
I see, so basically anyone who uses the media to express their political opinions should not do so unless they are running for office...Is that correct?
Old 09-04-12, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, those two don't really make movies for the audience anymore. I'm not sure who Spike makes his movies for these days. I used to be a fan--up to and including BAMBOOZLED--but nothing he's done since has interested me.

Clooney is more interested in making self-important movies than in making crowd-pleasers for the audience. I'd love to see him in a western. Or a serious, gritty down-and-dirty crime drama. But he doesn't care what I think. Quentin Tarantino does care what I think. And so does Jason Statham. So I tend to go to their movies.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.