Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Compliance (2012) - Directed and Written by Craig Zobel

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-12, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surprised no one has started a thread yet, although I think it's only in limited release. Here's a picture and brief plot overview courtesy of IMDB:

When a prank caller convinces a fast food restaurant manager to interrogate an innocent young employee, no-one is left unharmed. Based on true events.
Saw this movie earlier today at an afternoon showing. It was enjoyable and gripping at times, but sometimes a bit over the top and unbelievable. I'm not sure my criticism in this sense is fair given that it is "based on true events", but I always wonder with that statement if everything is true vs. some parts.
Old 09-01-12, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Compliance (2012) - Directed and Written by Craig Zobel

For an update, did some more research and apparently the details portrayed in this movie (no spoilers) did actually occur. Have to give some props for that and can't really criticize from that aspect, despite my disbelief.

Would recommend if it's playing in a theater near you.
Old 09-01-12, 06:53 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I remember reading about this one. I think DVDTalk has a review from a film festival. It's one of those things where reading about the real story was enough for me. I don't need to see a re-enactment of it, although I can appreciate why it exists. The people who pulled the prank must be insanely proud of this accomplishment, and I would think the fact that this film exists is just validation for similar pranks to continue to occur.
Old 09-01-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a good film that deserves the many good reviews it's received.

90% on RT.

In a nation of people who willingly get photographed naked at the airport by strangers, or stand and get felt up and watch as their children have their privates felt up by strangers who represent 'authority', all the fauxrage over the film and how implausible or 'sick' it is, which represents every bad review I've seen, is laughable.
Old 09-01-12, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really? People think this was fabricated?

FUCK, DO PEOPLE EVEN READ DVDTALK? [Yes, there was another thread in Adult DVD Talk regarding the situation, but obviously, I'm linking to the Other Talk version instead. ]

I didn't even knew this film existed until a few weeks ago. I'll probably rent it on iTunes along with V/H/S soon.
Old 09-01-12, 06:18 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I am genuinely curious about the ending to the film. In the DVDTalk review, Jason Bailey says, "the riveting ending, in which the film makes its point and then remarkably holds the camera a beat longer, and then another, and then another. And then it supplies an additional piece of information that's like a punch in the gut."

If the OP or anyone else doesn't mind detailing this part in spoiler tags, it would be appreciated.
Old 09-01-12, 06:42 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to make a thead on this a month ago but..I just didn't fancy this movie's plot. I remember when that big one from McD's happened. Fucking idiots those 2 were. *sigh* For some reason this slightly disturbs me, the whole thing of it. But...I'd like to know wtf that ending is too.
Old 09-01-12, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Uncomfortable to sit through.

After five seconds, it should've been obvious the person on the phone wasn't a cop. Mind blowing that the same person apparently pulled this off at least 70 times before being caught.
Old 09-02-12, 01:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not mind blowing. People are trained to bow to authority. Most people don't take the time to learn their rights and most bow to pressure.

This film put a knot in my stomach. It's sad, but not surprising that it really happened.
Old 09-02-12, 05:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher
Uncomfortable to sit through.

After five seconds, it should've been obvious the person on the phone wasn't a cop. Mind blowing that the same person apparently pulled this off at least 70 times before being caught.
oh shit..he was caught? That I didn't know.

EDIT: Damn...reading up on it on Wikipedia..that whole situation is fucked up. Didn't even know about the oral sex part...jesus...I honestly think I'd have a hard time watching this film.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 09-02-12 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 05:33 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

This has to be one of the most frustrating movies I can ever remember seeing. I honestly can't even believe something like this happened. How could nobody question the call was legitimate? Why would the girl go along with this?

The actual events took place in Kentucky... maybe in this area where it happened they just don't have the education to know their rights? The movie did not really perceive the girl to be unintelligent. I have no other explanation.

Last edited by dex14; 09-25-13 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-11-13, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I remember this being all over the news. Didn't know they made a movie about it.
Old 02-02-13, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Finally saw this tonight. I agree with a lot that's said here. Just made feel sick and really not at all surprising.

I also appreciate how Zobel had the good sense to turn his camera away at times. This could've easily been an exploitation piece but instead he made us all repulsed by it.
Old 02-03-13, 12:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The film is so unbelievable even though it's fact that this happened, you'll still be thinking that some of this has been made up.

It's shocking how stupid people can be, and it's amazing how people immediately bend to anyone with an authoritative tone, even over a telephone.

Some of the scenes here are ridiculous and I'd disappear forever if I ever fell for something so stupid.
Old 02-03-13, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I remember this being all over the news. Didn't know they made a movie about it.
I've seen the actual security tapes and I still believe the girl was in on the scam. What confirmed it for me (as if the jumping jacks were not enough) was when she fingered herself for the guy and would quickly cover up whenever the manager would come back in the room. Nobody is stupid enough to believe this is a normal investigation (the camel's back was broken way before the blowjob), unless you are under 10 years old.

No interest in the movie because of that.
Old 02-03-13, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I looked online but could only find a four minute version. It has the fingering and jumping jacks but no BJ
Old 02-03-13, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I've seen the actual security tapes and I still believe the girl was in on the scam. What confirmed it for me (as if the jumping jacks were not enough) was when she fingered herself for the guy and would quickly cover up whenever the manager would come back in the room. Nobody is stupid enough to believe this is a normal investigation (the camel's back was broken way before the blowjob), unless you are under 10 years old.

That was in the movie as well (well not the fingering part). You have me thinking about it now because why would she cover up and not tell the manager what was going on? Kinda bugged me in the movie.
Old 02-03-13, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I had this from Netflix on Blu-ray and the fucking disc did not want to play. I guess I'll see it at some point.
Old 02-09-13, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
I am genuinely curious about the ending to the film. In the DVDTalk review, Jason Bailey says, "the riveting ending, in which the film makes its point and then remarkably holds the camera a beat longer, and then another, and then another. And then it supplies an additional piece of information that's like a punch in the gut."

If the OP or anyone else doesn't mind detailing this part in spoiler tags, it would be appreciated.
Spoiler:
at the end the manager is being interviewed by a tv journalist (something like dateline or 20/20) and when asked a specific question she hesitates and you hear an off camera lawyer say 'no you don't have to answer that'

and then it mentions that this incident has happened over 70 times in 30 states

watched this on amazon prime. I'd be willing to say that this was probably more disturbing/fucked up then many horror films. And then to top it all off, reading on wiki that this actually happened and that outside of changing names, most of what is shown did in fact happen
Old 02-09-13, 12:20 PM

Suprisingly good flick!
Old 02-10-13, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watched this yesterday via Netflix streaming. Great film, but it is definitely a one watch film for me. Pretty disturbing, but as far as thrillers go, it is a one trick pony of a film...great trick though.

Definitely worth seeing for anyone on the fence.
Old 02-11-13, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp

It's not a scam, since this happened to many fast food places across the country, and it's offensive to blame the victim in my opinion and is a cop out. This isn't a case like Duke lacrosse with false accusations. The victim was not 'in on it' and yes people are capable of doing extreme things under various circumstances, as evidenced with how this caller did the same 'prank' to various other restaurants across the country over a few years.

Here is a portion of a 20/20 special on the case, that interviews the victim and she answers the question you made on why she covered up and such.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UFXeXK3szOk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is a short overview of the case and answers how many people bought into the 'prank' and why they went along with it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8mpAbig8ttY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And information on two studies that show how people can quickly succumb to obeying demands by an 'authority' figure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment

And a 30 minute special on the Stanford Prison Experiment.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/760lwYmpXbc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-17-13, 08:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just watched this off Netflix stream. This was a really well made and acted movie and definitely one I would not want to watch again. One of the most horror non-horror movies I can recall.
Old 04-03-13, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Saw this tonight. Really fucked up, and extremely aggravating to see people so easily manipulated. It's a well made movie though.

I looked up the actual events this is based on and it turns out the manager who was duped into this actually won a civil lawsuit. The girl received $1.1 million, manager $400K, and her complete scumbag of a fiance was sentenced to 5 years in prison.

Worst of all, the prank caller was not convicted because of lack of direct evidence.
Old 09-23-13, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agonizing to watch. Like most people, amazed anyone would fall for this but apparently many did.

When I'm helping at the town, I'm directing traffic and people have no respect for authority if I'm right there. Maybe I should phone it in.

Was confused about the transition from the spanking to the blowjob. How did that happen?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.