DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Worst Lead Actor? Hayden Christenson in AOTC vs. Casper VanDien in StarshipTroopers? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/604289-worst-lead-actor-hayden-christenson-aotc-vs-casper-vandien-starshiptroopers.html)

Jules Winfield 08-26-12 11:55 AM

Worst Lead Actor? Hayden Christenson in AOTC vs. Casper VanDien in StarshipTroopers?

There always seems to be a thread on the front page here asking which of these two is the best. I wanna see which of these two is the worst. These two actors were asked to headline their respective movies:Attack of the Clones and Starship Troopers but both are just not very good at all. At various points, they're asked to bring an intensity or maybe to woo their leading ladies. I would laugh at both of their "mean" faces and if I were a woman, I'm not sure which one I'd let cry in my arms while I waited for a real man. So, with that said, who do you think is the worst?

Personally, I think Hayden is worse. It can be argued that Casper is supposed to be bad and his badness fits the whole aesthetic of the movie. I can't help but break into a sly smile when Casper says "Kill them all!" Hayden makes me groan but not in a good way plus he's shown he can be good in stuff like Shattered Glass. Also, Darth Vader is iconic and casting a pretty boy was a wrong move. I'm not worried when he turns to the dark side, I don't care.

I'm curious what everyone else thinks. I realize its not always the actors' fault if a part is written shittily or maybe the director requested the actor play it a certain way. I just wanted to pick on them I guess. I don't know. Shit.

Solid Snake 08-26-12 11:57 AM

Re: Worst Lead Actor? Hayden Christenson in AOTC vs. Casper VanDien in StarshipTroop

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield (Post 11360422)
There always seems to be a thread on the front page here asking which of these two is the best. I wanna see which of these two is the worst. These two actors were asked to headline their respective movies:Attack of the Clones and Starship Troopers but both are just not very good at all. At various points, they're asked to bring an intensity or maybe to woo their leading ladies. I would laugh at both of their "mean" faces and if I were a woman, I'm not sure which one I'd let cry in my arms while I waited for a real man. So, with that said, who do you think is the worst?

Personally, I think Hayden is worse. It can be argued that Casper is supposed to be bad and his badness fits the whole aesthetic of the movie. I can't help but break into a sly smile when Casper says "Kill them all!" Hayden makes me groan but not in a good way plus he's shown he can be good in stuff like Shattered Glass. Also, Darth Vader is iconic and casting a pretty boy was a wrong move. I'm not worried when he turns to the dark side, I don't care.

I'm curious what everyone else thinks. I realize its not always the actors' fault if a part is written shittily or maybe the director requested the actor play it a certain way. I just wanted to pick on them I guess. I don't know. Shit.

I'm calling bullshit on this.

Jules Winfield 08-26-12 11:59 AM

Re: Worst Lead Actor? Hayden Christenson in AOTC vs. Casper VanDien in StarshipTroop

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 11360425)
I'm calling bullshit on this.

Okay. I have no evidence to back up my claim so I call bullshit on myself also.

Why So Blu? 08-26-12 12:00 PM

Casper is much cooler.

Solid Snake 08-26-12 12:00 PM

Fucker.

back on topic:

I know HC has been in other movies I've heard of..never even knew Starship Troopers guy's name. So.....I'm going w/ Starship Trooper guy.

stvn1974 08-26-12 01:00 PM

Does Casper's character in Starship Troopers hate sand? Because Anakin hates sand so much that Hayden gives the single worst acting in any scene in the history of motion pictures.

JumpCutz 08-26-12 01:03 PM

Eli Wallach

Hokeyboy 08-26-12 01:28 PM

Beth

RagingBull80 08-26-12 01:39 PM

De Niro, hands down.

Supermallet 08-26-12 01:46 PM

The kids in Starship Troopers are meant to be flat and jingoistic. Anakin Skywalker was supposed to be nuanced. Christensen loses.

fumanstan 08-26-12 02:05 PM

Fuck.

I picked Hayden. I didn't have any issues with Casper, his performance fit the movie.

PenguinJoe 08-26-12 03:45 PM

Speaking of which apparently Casper has been asked to do dancing with the stars.

GoldenJCJ 08-26-12 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe (Post 11360628)
Speaking of which apparently Casper has been asked to do dancing with the stars.

I guess all that Python money must have run out. The Syfy Channel just doesn't pay like it used to.

Dr. DVD 08-26-12 07:16 PM

Hayden, no question IMO. Casper had a bit more of a grasp on what he was doing and what kind of movie he was making.

Mr. Flix 08-26-12 07:48 PM

Of these two performances, Christenson's is worse, even though he's overall a better actor than Van Dien. (See: Shattered Glass)

onebyone 08-26-12 07:50 PM

I wouldn't change a thing about Caper Van Dien's performance in Starship Troopers. I love that movie as is.

FRwL 08-26-12 07:52 PM

The twikoff option is like a delicious treat and I love it being a dvdtalk tradition.

Nick Danger 08-26-12 09:01 PM

The acting in Starship Troopers was supposed to be flat. It's a fascist recruitment movie.

AOTC could have been better.

yoshimi 08-26-12 10:30 PM

I wonder if Brando, Olivier or Anthony Hopkins could pull off some of the dialogue that Hayden Christenson had to work with in AOTC?

Nick Danger 08-27-12 09:23 AM

Lots of actors can handle bad dialogue. Take a look at 1960s adventure television programs. Lloyd Bridges, Robert Stack, and Lorne Greene could make the exposition sound good and then carry you until the next action sequence. Lucas didn't hired someone with that skill.

stingermck 08-27-12 09:28 AM

I liked Casper, and really thought he would do well in action after Startship. Then Tarzan happened.

Oh yeah, Hayden.

rexinnih 08-27-12 09:39 AM

Hayden.

Double_Oh_7 08-27-12 10:12 AM

Easy... Hayden.