Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jurassic Park question

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jurassic Park question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-12, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jurassic Park question

Okay, been watching this on television and never caught this before... after Grant loads up with his rifle he asks Hammond "it's just the two raptors?" and we don't see a response but I think it's meant to be a "yes". Next the kitchen scene happens with Tim and Lex and the 2 raptors. We see Tim lock one of the raptors in the freezer and the other is still on the loose. Next Lex hacks a computer while Grant and Ellie hold off the one raptor. They all escape into the vents and end up in main lobby where they confront not just one raptor but two... so how the hell did the other raptor get out of the locked freezer?
Old 08-19-12, 09:02 PM
Banned

Re: Jurassic Park question

Obviously the raptor used Alohomora to open the lock.
Old 08-19-12, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be wrong, but I swear this has been discussed numerous times over the years. Again, I could be wrong but I seem to remember it being chalked up to a simple plot hole. Just like how all the people died on the ship in The Lost World. Just a plot hole. Even the master Stevie makes them.
Old 08-19-12, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Didn't Hammond breed two? They were breeding in the wild though so who knows how many there actually were. Who says it's the same one from the freezer?
Old 08-19-12, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When they first visit the raptor cage, Muldoon says the big one killed all but 2 of the others, so that explains 3 raptors.

After Grant leaves the kids to eat and goes looking for everyone else he finds Ellie (Laura Dern) outside. Ellie tells him there are 2 left "Unless they have learned to open doors". Remember she shut one up in the building with all the electrical breakers and stuff. The very next scene you see a raptor opening a door to the kitchen so it and another raptor to get at the kids. This leads you to believe that the 3rd raptor can escape the shut door of the electrical building. The kids trap one raptor in the freezer and lock the door, where that raptor remains trapped to this day. The other raptor from the kitchen and the one that escaped from the electrical building are the 2 you see at the end of the movie.
Old 08-19-12, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by New-AgeOutlaw
When they first visit the raptor cage, Muldoon says the big one killed all but 2 of the others, so that explains 3 raptors.

After Grant leaves the kids to eat and goes looking for everyone else he finds Ellie (Laura Dern) outside. Ellie tells him there are 2 left "Unless they have learned to open doors". Remember she shut one up in the building with all the electrical breakers and stuff. The very next scene you see a raptor opening a door to the kitchen so it and another raptor to get at the kids. This leads you to believe that the 3rd raptor can escape the shut door of the electrical building. The kids trap one raptor in the freezer and lock the door, where that raptor remains trapped to this day. The other raptor from the kitchen and the one that escaped from the electrical building are the 2 you see at the end of the movie.
Makes perfect sense to me. I forgot about Muldoon's line. There were definitely 3.
Old 08-19-12, 11:16 PM

My 2.5 year old granddaughter loves this movie. I have watched it atleast once-twice a week this year so maybe 50 times so far. Her parents let her watch this tfirst time for some reason. I wouldn't have, but she loves dinosaurs and she doesn't seem to notice they eat people.
Old 08-19-12, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Okay, been watching this on television and never caught this before... after Grant loads up with his rifle he asks Hammond "it's just the two raptors?" and we don't see a response but I think it's meant to be a "yes". Next the kitchen scene happens with Tim and Lex and the 2 raptors. We see Tim lock one of the raptors in the freezer and the other is still on the loose. Next Lex hacks a computer while Grant and Ellie hold off the one raptor. They all escape into the vents and end up in main lobby where they confront not just one raptor but two... so how the hell did the other raptor get out of the locked freezer?
I know what you're thinking. "Did he have six raptors or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is an extinct prehistoric killer brought back to life, the most powerful eating machine in the world, and would bite your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

OK ... real answer -- read the book.
Spoiler:
The computer was only counting to the designated number. It wasn't accounting for any additional dinosaurs. They reference this in the movie and then completely abandon it. Maybe this really doesn't have anything to do with the question at hand, but it is a legitimate answer!
Old 08-19-12, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

My 2.5 year old granddaughter loves this movie. I have watched it atleast once-twice a week this year so maybe 50 times so far. Her parents let her watch this tfirst time for some reason. I wouldn't have, but she loves dinosaurs and she doesn't seem to notice they eat people.
... until it happens to her!
Old 08-20-12, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
... after Grant loads up with his rifle
One little annoying nitpick that still cracks me up is after Grant fires the two rounds from a SHOTGUN, we see the damage done by two bullet holes in a window....Which look like they were fired by a .22
Old 08-20-12, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thank you sir. This makes perfect sense.
Old 08-20-12, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

The real question is why does Grant take the time to light a giant flaming Jurassic Park logo instead of trying to escape the island?
Old 08-20-12, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

My biggest question, if Grant is such a big dinosaur expert, how come he doesn't know to use gymnastics to kill the velociraptors?
Old 08-20-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

After Grant leaves the kids to eat and goes looking for everyone else he finds Ellie (Laura Dern) outside.
This little moment ALWAYS bugs me in the movie. Grant encounters Ellie, who is limping. She sees him, says "Run!" in a panicked voice like they are in imminent danger, and runs/limps toward him. But when she gets to him, she jumps in his arms, they embrace, and the scene ends.

If there's not a dino in the near vicinity, her actions don't seem to make a lot of sense...
Old 08-20-12, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
This little moment ALWAYS bugs me in the movie. Grant encounters Ellie, who is limping. She sees him, says "Run!" in a panicked voice like they are in imminent danger, and runs/limps toward him. But when she gets to him, she jumps in his arms, they embrace, and the scene ends.

If there's not a dino in the near vicinity, her actions don't seem to make a lot of sense...
Well, there was a dino in the vicinity. The raptor that killed Muldoon was still out there, as was the other one that Muldoon was looking at.

By the way, there's more evidence that there were 3 raptors. Muldoon was aiming his gun at one, another one came from the side and killed him and the third one was in the utility building. Ellie thought she locked him in there, but since they can open doors, he got out. Maybe it took a while for the one in the utility building to figure out how to escape, so only the two that were out in the open dealing with Muldoon followed the kids into the kitchen. One of them got locked in the freezer and by the time the people made it down to the lobby, the one in the utility building had escaped and he and the one that didn't get locked in the freezer made their way down to the lobby. I guess the one from the kitchen was the one that attacked the people in the vent and then once they got to the lobby, the one that escaped the utility building was already there, or came in shortly after.
Old 08-20-12, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Well, there was a dino in the vicinity. The raptor that killed Muldoon was still out there, as was the other one that Muldoon was looking at.
That's all well and good, but her actions still don't make sense. If she thinks there's a raptor around (which she apparently does, considering she says "Run!" when she sees Grant), then why the heck does she jump into his arms and hug him? Logic would say that she should grab his hand and keep on truckin'...
Old 08-20-12, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Yeah but since she's pretty emotional at that time, she's probably not operating on pure logic.
Old 08-20-12, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's my three year olds favorite movie.
Old 08-21-12, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's all well and good, but her actions still don't make sense. If she thinks there's a raptor around (which she apparently does, considering she says "Run!" when she sees Grant), then why the heck does she jump into his arms and hug him? Logic would say that she should grab his hand and keep on truckin'...
I've always thought Ellie was urging herself to run to Grant.

--THX
Old 08-21-12, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Old 08-21-12, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
My biggest question, if Grant is such a big dinosaur expert, how come he doesn't know to use gymnastics to kill the velociraptors?
Because he's White. Duh.
Old 08-21-12, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

If we really want to split hairs, real Velociraptors were much smaller than the ones in the movie and they were covered with feathers.

Yeah, they're, like two feet tall.

Really scary, eh?
Old 08-21-12, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
If we really want to split hairs, real Velociraptors were much smaller than the ones in the movie and they were covered with feathers.

Really scary, eh?

That doesn't look very scary, more like a (2) foot turkey!
Old 08-21-12, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
I've always thought Ellie was urging herself to run to Grant.

--THX
That's how I interpreted it too.
Old 08-21-12, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Really scary, eh?

Yeah, but the Park raptors were made with frog DNA too, so that could explain the lack of feathers and other discrepancies. (Also, I don't care what the latest scientific theories are, feathered dinosaurs just look really stupid, dumb, and awful. I want cold-blooded, rampaging lizards!)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.