Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie titles that don't make sense

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie titles that don't make sense

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-12, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts
Re: Movie titles that don't make sense

Originally Posted by joliom
The Last House on the Left (it's a solitary house out in the country)

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (no witches to be found)

Chariots of Fire (no chariots, no fire, not even any Romans)

Fargo (almost the entire movie takes place in Minnesota, no one ever goes to Fargo)

Back to the Future (shouldn't it be Back to the Past since he travels back to 1955, or maybe Back to the Present if you look at it from the perspective of him needing to return to his time?)

Quantum of Solace (Huh?)
The villain in Halloween III was into the festival of Samhain.
Old 08-19-12, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Back to the Future (shouldn't it be Back to the Past since he travels back to 1955, or maybe Back to the Present if you look at it from the perspective of him needing to return to his time?)

lol, Doc says those exact words in the movie... I think it makes perfect sense.
Old 08-19-12, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sonic
Mallrats

Where were the rats in the mall?
As someone who once worked at a mall, that's just what we call people who'd go there to hang out.
Old 08-19-12, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
It makes perfect sense if you actually know what the words mean. It alludes to the story far more than most Bond titles.
Yes; Quantum of Solace is a title that makes sense, referring to Bond's smallest iota of comfort he still has from his relationship with Vesper. It's still an indefensibly stupid title.

Originally Posted by Numanoid
What's the explanation?
Spoiler:
From Susie Salmon's narration in the book:
"These were the lovely bones that had grown around my absence: the connections—sometimes tenuous, sometimes made at great cost, but often magnificent—that happened after I was gone. And I began to see things in a way that let me hold the world without me in it. The events my death brought were primarily that the bones of a body that would become whole at some unpredictable time in the future. The price of what I came to see as this miraculous lifeless body had been my life."

I don't remember that from the film, but honestly, the film was far too bad to stick with me. A google search indicates that a similar piece of narration does appear in the film, so I must apologize.
Old 08-19-12, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

G.I. Jane - the title character is in the Navy; G.I.s are Army soldiers.

Any of the Thin Man movies after the first one; the "thin man" was a murder victim and had nothing to do with the rest of the films, and star William Powell was certainly not he.

A Clockwork Orange - Burgess gave several varying explanations of what this meant, but none of them are in the book or movie.

Scarecrow - it's been a while since I've seen this 1973 movie, but I don't think the title has anything to do with its content.

Troll 2 - well known for having no trolls and not being a sequel to Troll.

Originally Posted by Rob V
The Postman Always Rings Twice..... The fuck?
It's an awkward metaphor for ... something, but if I remember correctly it's mentioned in the film (the 1940s version anyway), so there is some justification for it as the title.
Old 08-19-12, 09:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The Talking Heads concert movie Stop Making Sense. The title references the lyrics from "Girlfriend is Better", but the movie begs its title to be self-defeating.

Does that make sense?
Old 08-19-12, 09:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?...if you see the movie, you find out. what's up with dat?
Old 08-19-12, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
lol, Doc says those exact words in the movie... I think it makes perfect sense.
It does make perfect sense. The whole point of the movie is sending Marty back to the future.
Old 08-19-12, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Zombies of the Stratosphere with Leonard Nimoy. They aren't zombies, they are aliens.

Planet of the Vampires - They aren't vampires, they are aliens possessing dead bodies of humans. The original Italian title of Terror in Space should have been kept.
Old 08-19-12, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Yes; Quantum of Solace is a title that makes sense, referring to Bond's smallest iota of comfort he still has from his relationship with Vesper. It's still an indefensibly stupid title.

Spoiler:
From Susie Salmon's narration in the book:
"These were the lovely bones that had grown around my absence: the connections—sometimes tenuous, sometimes made at great cost, but often magnificent—that happened after I was gone. And I began to see things in a way that let me hold the world without me in it. The events my death brought were primarily that the bones of a body that would become whole at some unpredictable time in the future. The price of what I came to see as this miraculous lifeless body had been my life."

I don't remember that from the film, but honestly, the film was far too bad to stick with me. A google search indicates that a similar piece of narration does appear in the film, so I must apologize.
The narration is in the movie at the end. It is verbatim, but it is there.

Last edited by godzilla rules; 08-19-12 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Wrong format
Old 08-19-12, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blade Runner, anyone? Because I sure don't know what the hell hunting replicants has to do with the things you put on your ice skates.
Old 08-19-12, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith ... Sith don't take revenge. They kill to prove superiority.

John Carter ... lousy sequel to Coach Carter. Made no sense.
Old 08-19-12, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This may sound trite given my username, but the term most definitely makes sense. His main goal is to get back to the future from the 50s. What's considered the present is the future from the standpoint of when the majority of the film takes place.
Old 08-20-12, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

John Carter ... lousy sequel to Coach Carter. Made no sense.
It wasn't as bad as The Iron Lady, a terrible sequel to Iron Man
Old 08-20-12, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatermass
It wasn't as bad as The Iron Lady, a terrible sequel to Iron Man
It was more of a spin off, Paltrow aged horribly between Iron Man and that.
Old 08-20-12, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Goodfellas...those guys weren't good.
Old 08-20-12, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatermass
Young Adam - I assumed it was some sort of Scottish slang but apparently it's not. There's no one named Adam in the movie or play that it was originally based on.
The title is referring to Adam of the Bible.
Old 08-20-12, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I've often said it makes no sense the third Batman movie (which introduces Robin) is called "Batman Forever" and the next movie (the fourth - as in FORever) is called " Batman and Robin."
Old 08-20-12, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
Any of the Thin Man movies after the first one; the "thin man" was a murder victim and had nothing to do with the rest of the films, and star William Powell was certainly not he.
I love the series, but that always has irritated me. They even had a Thin Man radio series, still overlooking this error.

Also, I was always confused by the Stallone Rambo movies. First Blood. Fine. Rambo: First Blood, Part II. Fine. Rambo III. Huh? Surely you mean Rambo II, or First Blood III: Rambo II.
Old 08-20-12, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Numanoid
First Blood III: Rambo II.
Sounds like a fair score.
Old 08-20-12, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My dad had an interesting explanation for "A Clockwork Orange" (one of his favorite books and movies). He spoke fluent Russian (the language used as most of the "slang" in the book and movie) and was trained by the NSA in most common phrases and popular usages around the time the book was written. He says instead of the American phrase, "As clear as mud." (meaning not clear at all) Russians would say "as clear as an orange." He felt that a "Clockwork Orange" is something that was specifically built and designed to be unclear or murky.
Old 08-20-12, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Eyes Wide Shut? Something about being oblivious? I don't know. I like the movie though.
Old 08-20-12, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I always thought a "Clockwork" Orange was referencing something not natural or organic but was instead created by man to try and behave like a normal orange.
Old 08-20-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
I always thought a "Clockwork" Orange was referencing something not natural or organic but was instead created by man to try and behave like a normal orange.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Clockwork_Orange

Title

Burgess gave three possible origins for the title:

- He had overheard the phrase "as queer as a clockwork orange" in a London pub in 1945 and assumed it was a Cockney expression.¹ In Clockwork Marmalade, an essay published in the Listener in 1972, he said that he had heard the phrase several times since that occasion. He also explained the title in response to a question from William Everson on the television programme, Camera Three in 1972, "Well, the title has a very different meaning but only to a particular generation of London Cockneys. It's a phrase which I heard many years ago and so fell in love with, I wanted to use it, the title of the book. But the phrase itself I did not make up. The phrase "as queer as a clockwork orange" is good old East London slang and it didn't seem to me necessary to explain it. Now, obviously, I have to give it an extra meaning. I've implied an extra dimension. I've implied the junction of the organic, the lively, the sweet – in other words, life, the orange – and the mechanical, the cold, the disciplined. I've brought them together in this kind of oxymoron, this sour-sweet word."[6][7] However, no other record of the expression being used before 1962 has ever appeared.[8] Kingsley Amis notes in his Memoirs (1991) that no trace of it appears in Eric Partridge's Dictionary of Historical Slang.

- His second explanation was that it was a pun on the Malay word orang, meaning "man." The novel contains no other Malay words or links.[8]

- In a prefatory note to A Clockwork Orange: A Play with Music, he wrote that the title was a metaphor for "...an organic entity, full of juice and sweetness and agreeable odour, being turned into a mechanism."[8]

In his essay, "Clockwork Oranges," ² Burgess asserts that "this title would be appropriate for a story about the application of Pavlovian or mechanical laws to an organism which, like a fruit, was capable of colour and sweetness." This title alludes to the protagonist's positively conditioned responses to feelings of evil which prevent the exercise of his free will. To reverse this conditioning, the protagonist is subjected to a technique in which violent scenes displayed on screen, which he is forced to watch, are systematically paired with negative stimulation in the form of nausea and "feelings of terror" caused by an emetic medicine administered just before the presentation of the films.
Old 08-20-12, 02:04 PM
Suspended

BRAZIL the movie doesn't even take place there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.