Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

My Way (2011, Korean-Japanese World War II Drama)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GSSx0ICfEVY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1606384/

Synopsis:

Inspired by a true story. Jun Shik works for Tatsuo's grandfather's farm while Korea is colonized by Japan, but he has a dream to participate in Tokyo Olympics as a marathon runner. Tatsuo also aims to become a marathon runner, so the two are in rivalry. But war breaks out and they both are forced to enlist in the army. Tatsuo becomes the head of defense in Jun Shik's unit and he devises a scheme but fails. Jun Shik and Tatsuo are captured by the Soviets. They run away but soon are captured by Germans and forced to separate. In 1944, they meet again at the shores of Normandy.

I don't know how many of you have seen or heard about this movie, but I recently blind bought the BD for it and it blew me away how good it was. Probably one of the best WWII dramas I have seen recently. From a drama, action and set design standpoint, it was as good as any major Hollywood production. It was such a large scale production using Japanese, Korean, Russian, German and American actors. It really gives you a broader perspective on how WWII impacted other nations.

The director, Kang Je-Gyu, shot 3 large-scale and spectacular battle sequences. One featured Japanese fighting the Russians, the Russian army battling the Germans and then finally the battle of Normandie. He did a hell of a job directing a Korean War movie called "Tae Guk Gi" which is also fantastic.

I highly recommend this movie. I usually don't blind buy stuff anymore, but this was one of the best blind buys I have ever bought. And the picture quality was top notch.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-05-12 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-05-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: My Way (2011, Korean-Japanese World War II Drama)

I was looking at this at Target today, but I figured I would wait for some reviews.
Old 08-05-12, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Wow, I never heard of this movie, yet now I want to see it. I'm a big fan of TAE GUK GI which I saw at a multiplex in Manhattan. Why did this one not get a theatrical release? Or did it and it just went under the radar?
Old 08-05-12, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^it did but it was very under the radar. The distributer Wells Go doesn't really have that great a foothold in regards getting its movies wider theatrical releases.

Also the same director also directed the excellent action movie Siri
Old 08-05-12, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 280 Likes on 180 Posts

This is in my Netflix queue (very long wait though)
Old 08-06-12, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This film was awesome! 100 times better than TAE GUK GI by the way.
Old 08-06-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm really tempted to blind buy this, but the only thing holding me back is that the critics aren't as fond of it as you guys (11 out of 14 didn't like it on RT)
Old 08-06-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I'm really tempted to blind buy this, but the only thing holding me back is that the critics aren't as fond of it as you guys (11 out of 14 didn't like it on RT)
So you only own perfect-reviewed movies in your collection?
I looked through your collection and according to your taste, I think you will really enjoy this film! Just buy it, and if you don't like it, someone else in this thread will refund your money.
Old 08-06-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
So you need some hack film critic to sign off on it than a fellow movie-goer in an Internet forum?

I'm a fan of War movies and this director's work on Tae Guk Gi and Shiri. IMO, this was a pretty damn impressive movie with only a $25M budget, which is reportedly one of the most expensive South Korean movies ever.
Old 08-06-12, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know, I've gotten burned on blind buys one too many times. Also I usually (note usually) side with the critics when a majority of them say a movie is good or bad. Comedies are usually where it's most subjective and the reviews don't matter as much.

Last edited by Osiris3657; 08-06-12 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-06-12, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well you sons of bitches have won out, I ordered a copy.
Old 01-30-13, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I finally watched this. I liked it, it was pretty epic in scope and production. Great performances, good action scenes. I did have a couple of complaints though. First, the editing. I felt like the entire movie was on fast forward with the rapid cuts, even during non action scenes. The editor should have toned that down a bit.

Also, I thought it was too over the top (even though you see it coming) that Tatsuo, the Japanese character, is the bad guy for a majority of the film. He's straight evil. Then in the 3rd act of the film he and Kim, the other main character, become best friends and are inseparable.

Worth checking out. Not sure I'd watch it again though, might sell my copy.

Grade: B