Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) D: Anderson, S: Fiennes, Schwartzman, Norton, Ronan

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) D: Anderson, S: Fiennes, Schwartzman, Norton, Ronan

Old 03-17-14, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) D: Anderson, S: Fiennes, Schwartzman, Norton, Ron

A few comments to address some concerns from above:

- Nah, I don't make any money off YouTube reviews. Some people can though I believe if they monetize their videos. Not really for me at this time.

- I make the video reviews since I enjoy them. There's a good film community on YouTube as well (Schmoes Know, Jeremy Jahns, Chris Stuckmann, etc.) that inspired me to do so. Others in real life encouraged as well after I expressed interest.

- Hopefully you don't find me posting the link of my review to be too burdensome as you browse the forums. Just trying to express my opinion and share with others. I find that I'm able to express my opinion with more color that way and am typing out emails, memos, etc. all day at work, so it's nice to change it up. Even so, I also post a written review for each movie on Letterboxd.
Old 03-18-14, 06:49 PM

Re: The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) D: Anderson, S: Fiennes, Schwartzman, Norton, Ron

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
You should like it then, since I think those are the two of his that this is most similar to.
Nice! Can't wait. Thank you.
Old 03-18-14, 06:53 PM
Banned by request

I don't care if someone chooses to make a YouTube video instead of writing a review, but I am significantly less inclined to watch a video than I am to read a review.
Old 03-18-14, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Same here, that's why I was curious to know why he did it.
Old 03-20-14, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a nice interview with Ralph Fiennes where he admits to being a fan of Anderson's work: http://bit.ly/NxoWMX
Old 03-21-14, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed the film, but I really think Anderson has taken his particular aesthetic as far as its going to go. The way the actors recite their dialogue is so stilted and unnatural, it reminds me of the way the characters would converse on the show "The Gilmour Girls".( Not that I admit to ever having seen that show.) I liked the film a little more than Moonrise Kingdom, but not as much as any of Andersons other work.

3.5/5.
Old 03-23-14, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the beginning was a little off putting, but I really enjoyed the second half. I'd say moonrise kingdom was a lot better, and that's the only anderson movie I've liked since the royal tenenbaums.

It's worth watching though.
Old 03-23-14, 11:12 AM
Banned

You didn't like Mr. Fox too?
Old 03-23-14, 09:47 PM

so imdb denotes this as comedy/drama - really? I thought there was a bit more of a thriller-esque crime element, description to it.

the end credits with the little bit of animation near the end was hysterical.
Old 03-24-14, 12:00 AM
Banned by request

It's a dark comedy.
Old 03-24-14, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So this is in 304 theaters and has already pulled $13m, not bad.
Old 03-30-14, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

LOVED every second of it. There wasn't a single detail, from the acting to the cinematography, music, editing, etc. that wasn't total exhilaration for me. 5 / 5, easily. Don't believe me? I'll break you with my bare hands!!!

No but seriously, go see this thing, it's nice.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 03-30-14 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-30-14, 03:51 PM

I saw this last night and really enjoyed but for me, it falls solidly in the middle of his work, 3.5 out of 5, somewhere near Moonrise Kingdom.

I liked many aspects of it including:

Production design: As always with Anderson, it is like watching a moving work of art. The hotel was perfect, a little wobbly and overdecorated like the cakes from Mendl's. And I loved the Soviet era version of the hotel, he just totally nailed it. The set truly becomes a character in the film.

One of his best sight gags EVER

Spoiler:
Replacing "Boy with Apple" with a picture of 2 fat naked women fingering each other

Fiennes was very good. Also liked F. Murray Abraham.

I liked the nested narrative as well--it's like Wes Anderson's version of "Inception"!

What I didn't like that much:

Secondary characters are much weaker than in his other films. I've always felt that one of the strongest parts of his movies are that the supporting actors are often even more interesting than the leads. But in this film a lot of supporting talent is just wasted. Jeff Goldblum, Willem Dafoe, Edward Norton, Adrian Brody all play significant roles but none of them are very interesting characters. Contrast that with The Life Aquatic, where Goldblum and Dafoe routinely steal the show, here they are mostly just reciting lines in the service of the plot and display almost no personality. Norton and Brody are really given nothing to do, and deliver on that Fiennes has to basically carry the movie himself, and while he does a great job, it would have been a better movie, imo, if he had more support from the script, because we know these actors can be great given the right role.

I felt like the 3rd act was a lot weaker than the first part of the movie. Like some of his other movies(Darjeeling comes to mind), once the movie left the main set, it seemed to lose a lot of creative energy. Yes there was a lot of action, but for the most part it wasn't anything that we haven't seen before. especially

Spoiler:
The 2 young leads end up dangling from a building. Hmmmm...where I have seen that before? Oh yeah... Moonrise Kingdom.

Anyway, I felt like it was very solid overall and as an Anderson fan, I liked it a lot. But I would rank Tennenbaums, Rushmore and The Life Aquatic ahead of it.
Old 03-30-14, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
LOVED every second of it. There wasn't a single detail, from the acting to the cinematography, music, editing, etc. that wasn't total exhilaration for me. 5 / 5, easily. Don't believe me? I'll break you with my bare hands!!!

No but seriously, go see this thing, it's nice.
Pretty much exactly how I felt while watching it. Thought it was beautiful.
Old 03-30-14, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just got back. Fucking LOVED IT! I think it's hands down Anderson's best film. Well, tied with "Mr. Fox" now. Fiennes absolutely stole the movie. He was laugh out loud funny and it is indeed his best performance ever. Oscars, you better not fucking forget him or this film next year.
Old 03-31-14, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Pretty much exactly how I felt while watching it. Thought it was beautiful.
Did you see it at the "Rialto Theatre"?
Trying to decide between going there or the AMC at Southpoint.
Old 03-31-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by clappj View Post
Did you see it at the "Rialto Theatre"?
Trying to decide between going there or the AMC at Southpoint.
Raleigh Grande. Unfortunately, the Rialto's parking situation generally makes that a no go.

Grande is actually my favorite theater to go to; I just think their staff is quality.
Old 03-31-14, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Raleigh Grande. Unfortunately, the Rialto's parking situation generally makes that a no go.

Grande is actually my favorite theater to go to; I just think their staff is quality.
Yeah, Glenwood is a mess. Especially on weekends. Haven't been to the Grande yet, but I'll have to check it out sometime soon.
Old 03-31-14, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just saw it over the weekend and LOVE it as well. I think this may be Anderson's most "accessible" film yet (not counting Mr. Fox). His direction here shows incredible confidence given the fact that he has skillfully melded dark comedy, suspense & drama.
Old 03-31-14, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I actually think Mr Fox is one of his least accessible movies. Mixing his standard movie techniques and speech patterns with a very unique visual style.
Old 04-06-14, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally saw this today. I enjoyed it way more than Moonrise Kingdom and Darjeeling Limited. I agree with some of the arguments that his style is starting to get old, but I guess it didn't bother me all that much in this one.
The theater was pretty full. The local senior center must have had a field trip cause almost two full two rows were taken up by them. They thought this was the funniest movie in the history of mankind. Lots of knee slapping and guffaws. I'll take those old bastards over the punks on their cell phones any day.
Old 04-06-14, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I actually think Mr Fox is one of his least accessible movies. Mixing his standard movie techniques and speech patterns with a very unique visual style.
And yet, a lot of kids from ages 5 to 9 love it.
Old 04-11-14, 03:13 PM
Banned

Just saw this.

Fucking masterpiece.

Anderson grew with this one. It's so visual without being overtly visual in comparison to his other films. Fiennes was amazing. The beats in the dialogue so sharp and perfect. The film is also very unpredictable as well. The whole cast was wonderful.

Best film of the year for me... So far. Truly.

Can't wait for the CC BD.
Old 04-11-14, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is a great film.

The violence is very sharp and quick. Anderson's film are always a nice escape from destructive, pulsating, crime and violence ridden films (which is what I'm usually drawn to).
Old 04-14-14, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This was Wes Anderson's first film to cross $100m worldwide. Still has $13m to go before outgrossing Royal Tenenbaums (unadjusted) in the US.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.