Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) D: Wes Anderson, S: Fiennes, Schwartzman, Norton, Ronan

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) D: Wes Anderson, S: Fiennes, Schwartzman, Norton, Ronan

Old 03-09-14, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,189 Likes on 915 Posts
Re: The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) D: Anderson, S: Fiennes, Schwartzman, Norton, Ron

My friend saw it and loved it.

The Grand Budapest Hotel is a film not only packed with characters, sets, costumes, and all the things that tend to typify writer/director Wes Anderson’s style, it is also packed with story. It is becoming more and more clear to me how much Anderson enjoys having films that are about stories being told to an audience. There are frequent themes that have been present in Anderson’s other films, namely family, which is clearly seen in The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic, Fantastic Mr. Fox and all of his other films as well, which is all well and good, but The Grand Budapest Hotel really goes out of its way to show us that it is a story within a story that is being told to another person. The result is a film that finds a way to present something that will be entirely familiar to everyone who recognizes Anderson’s style, but ends up feeling like a comment on storytelling itself. The film combines multiple genres in a rather go-for-broke fashion, while still finding the time to be thoughtful in regards to its key characters, and does not let narrative constraint get in the way.

http://whysoblu.com/the-grand-budape...-movie-review/
Old 03-09-14, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) D: Anderson, S: Fiennes, Schwartzman, Norton, Ron

The expansion might go quicker than expected as the film has broken per-screen-average records.
Old 03-09-14, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
The expansion might go quicker than expected as the film has broken per-screen-average records.
so did Moonrise as usually is the case with WA movies (and Fox Searchlight)
now I understand it may be a tactic in parts for the limited release to build up the buzz by throwing terms like best per screen average but it still sucks to have to wait while the world gets Sherman & Mr. Peabody
Old 03-09-14, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,189 Likes on 915 Posts

I'm not sure if I'll see this in theaters, because I was not a fan of Moonrise Kingdom at all. BTW, the early success of Budapest Hotel is due to the advent rise of the hipster. There's tons of them out here.

My favorite Wes Anderson flick is still Bottle Rocket.
Old 03-09-14, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'm not sure if I'll see this in theaters, because I was not a fan of Moonrise Kingdom at all. BTW, the early success of Budapest Hotel is due to the advent rise of the hipster. There's tons of them out here.

My favorite Wes Anderson flick is still Bottle Rocket.
I'm with you Blu, I thought MK was his worst (still better than over 90% of what's out there) and consider BR to be his masterpiece but this looks too good to try and pass up seeing in theaters
Old 03-09-14, 04:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bottle Rocket is the only Wes Anderson film I have no desire to see again.
Old 03-13-14, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only one who didn't like this? (thoughts below)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RkIYlVtZ02A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-14-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ Perhaps ... I thought this could be considered Anderson's best film yet. It's such a lavish, narratively complex film, full of so many interesting characters -- and it moves at a blink-and-you'll-miss-it sort of pace. I was amazed that only one and a half hours had passed by the time the credits started to roll. It really feels like an epic.

4.5 out of 5. I absolutely loved it.

My full review can be found here.
Old 03-15-14, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Yavin
^ Perhaps ... I thought this could be considered Anderson's best film yet. It's such a lavish, narratively complex film, full of so many interesting characters -- and it moves at a blink-and-you'll-miss-it sort of pace. I was amazed that only one and a half hours had passed by the time the credits started to roll. It really feels like an epic.

4.5 out of 5. I absolutely loved it.

My full review can be found here.
Glad that you liked it much more than I do. I definitely am in the minority in my thoughts.
Old 03-16-14, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gp1086
Am I the only one who didn't like this? (thoughts below)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RkIYlVtZ02A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Can you summarize for those of us who are not going to see a 5-minute video?
Old 03-16-14, 07:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

And if you can answer, but why make a video of your reviews? I'm being honest, I'm just curious why you do this.
Old 03-16-14, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
And if you can answer, but why make a video of your reviews? I'm being honest, I'm just curious why you do this.
Youtube pays him money the more watches his videos get.

Saw the movie last night. Packed house in Irvine - it got an ovation. I absolutely loved it, as did the 5 friends I went with. Easily one of Anderson's best and really well-written and fantastically acted, with some great set pieces. It was very "Wes Anderson" and yet not quite as "precious" as most of his movies, if you know what I mean. It was surprisingly violent, for one of his movies. Anyways, for me, top three, behind Aquatic and Rushmore - though I've seen those numerous times, so maybe I'll like this more the more I see it. Like typical Anderson, it's a bit robotic and lacking in heart. But it's fun as all get out.

It was weird (but cool) seeing a movie in this day and age in the theaters in Academy ratio.
Old 03-16-14, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Youtube pays him money the more watches his videos get.
What? No he doesn't. You have to meet a certain number of subscribers and/or video views in order to get paid. He has 39 subscribers. He's making jack shit.

Here, educate yourself:

Contrary to popular belief, you don't "get paid" just for being a YouTube partner. Only in exceptional circumstances, when Google's "AdSense" program places "certain" advertisements alongside your videos, do you "sometimes" get a few pennies based on the formula of 1000s of videos seen. What's important is not if someone has clicked on the video, but rather if someone went to the channel and "then" clicked on the video. That's why "channel views" are so important.

It's not that easy becoming a YouTube "Partner". Almost all of them are either a film creator or director, an artist (musician, singer, actor/actress, comedian), a media company, an advertiser, a broadcaster, someone with a very special project or a person of significance (like Her Majesty Queen Rania al-Abdullah).

But that is not enough to become a "partner". YouTube has even more criteria:
-- You create your own "original" videos
-- You own all the appropriate copyrights
-- The content is 100% yours (no income splitting/sharing if money is involved)
-- You upload videos on a regular basis
-- Your videos are viewed by thousands
-- The videos are suitable for all viewers
-- You must be at least 18 years of age
-- You're in an English-speaking country.

Only after you've finally been approved by the YouTube administrators/directors will they give you the all special tools and codes required enabling you to have:
-- a customized special logo or "banner"
-- different capabilities of "scripting fonts"
-- your channel-page video on "autoplay"
-- "high-definition" quality to your videos.
Also, whenever people watch your videos, the normal "Related Videos" section is automatically supplanted by a "More From" section showing only your videos.

More: http://boostlikes.com/blog/2013/11/v...d-paid-youtube
Old 03-16-14, 10:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Weird, okay I was just wondering. No offense to gp1086, but as soon as he said "Hey" and threw his hand down, I had to stop it.
Old 03-17-14, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Can we just ban external links to your own reviews while we're at it? If you can post a link, you can post a review.
Old 03-17-14, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
What? No he doesn't. You have to meet a certain number of subscribers and/or video views in order to get paid. He has 39 subscribers. He's making jack shit.

Here, educate yourself:
blah blah blah
Settle down there tough guy, you might pull something. Not sure why you're so butthurt. Regardless, I've known people who've gotten money on watches, plain and simple. Maybe it's different now, I don't know, I don't care. Either way, difficult or easy, getting more views can only help lead to more subscribers, then partner, then money, etc., so my point stands.
Old 03-17-14, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I thought it was ok, not great. I liked it better than Life Aquatic, but less than all the rest.
Old 03-17-14, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Settle down there tough guy, you might pull something. Not sure why you're so butthurt. Regardless, I've known people who've gotten money on watches, plain and simple. Maybe it's different now, I don't know, I don't care. Either way, difficult or easy, getting more views can only help lead to more subscribers, then partner, then money, etc., so my point stands.
butthurt? tough guy? Do you always get this defensive when you're proven wrong? no, your point doesn't stand. He doesn't make any money off this.

Last edited by Osiris3657; 03-17-14 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-17-14, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
butthurt? tough guy? Do you always get this defensive when you're proven wrong? no, your point doesn't stand. He doesn't make any money off this.
The people who DO make money off YT have to start somewhere, no? How's this any different? Check & mate!
Old 03-17-14, 10:31 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Fight! Fight!!!
Old 03-17-14, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Fight! Fight!!!
You shut your mouth Eddie, or I'll take you home tonight and shove those two tickets of your's up your ass!
Old 03-17-14, 11:17 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

You shut your mouth Eddie, or I'll take you home tonight and shove those two tickets of your's up your ass!
Go ahead and try. I can walk on water.
Old 03-17-14, 01:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This thread right now...

Slop, Osiris, Eddie:

The rest of us:
Old 03-17-14, 02:15 PM

Who the hell cares whether a review is filmed or written out? If you like one over the other, SKIP THE OTHER. Not that hard. Multiple things can exist in this world.

On topic, I can't wait to see this. Fox and Life Aquatic are my favorites. Still need to see Bottle Rocket and one other that escapes my memory at the moment.

Any word on if this going to break wide on one date, or in shifts? The typical sites are not being very forthcoming.
Old 03-17-14, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ardathbey
On topic, I can't wait to see this. Fox and Life Aquatic are my favorites.
You should like it then, since I think those are the two of his that this is most similar to.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.