Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
18.48%
29.35%
26.09%
12.68%
5.80%
3.99%
0.72%
0%
0.36%
0.72%
0%
The Dark Knight Fails!
1.81%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-12, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I used to have that album!!!
I just looked through a stack of old albums. I still do!

Too bad I don't have a turntable anymore though.
Old 07-31-12, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Your Sarcastic Guide To Alleged Plot holes in The Dark Knight Rises
Old 07-31-12, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read through the first two in the list, saw that the "author" had nothing more intelligent to say than "duh, what a bunch of whiners", and knew I had read enough.
Old 07-31-12, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kefrank
Yeah, I would be all for a live action TV show. "Fantastical" elements/characters would be fine as long as the show would write them well and treat them seriously. I'd especially love it if the "world's greatest detective" aspect to Batman was explored in more depth, which a TV series would certainly allow.
I think a live action TV show would be great if they followed your stipulations.
Old 07-31-12, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I think a live action TV show would be great if they followed your stipulations.
I think a live action show with the style and tone of BTAS (still my favorite Batman "film" incarnation of all time) would be an amazing series, and I would be glued to the set every week.

"I am vengeance. I am the night. I am Batman!"
Old 07-31-12, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I read through the first two in the list, saw that the "author" had nothing more intelligent to say than "duh, what a bunch of whiners", and knew I had read enough.
So the article's title was something you skipped over?

Did you notice there was a link to a different article also about TDKR there, titled "Due To IMDb Policy Change, ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ Is The 10th Greatest Film Of All-Time"?

Bitching about this film is a serious affair, it seems.
Old 07-31-12, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
So the article's title was something you skipped over?
No, but I hoped that the author might have some kind of substance behind the sarcasm. Sadly, there was none.
Old 07-31-12, 07:50 PM

see revised post.

Also, I bought into it because a lot of it is true - the majority of problems addressed in that article are pretty obviously explained. It's funny, because these kinds of things just aren't worth getting upset over but people do anyway. If they don't (like me, who doesn't have these issues with the film so many have) then they're looked at as the 'turn off your brain' types.

The reality (again for me, I can't speak for anyone else) is I have enough problems and a film like this to dive into and enjoy is just what I need right now, and it's a great conclusion to the trilogy.
Old 07-31-12, 08:31 PM
Banned

I certainly hope he wouldn't fucking say that.
Old 07-31-12, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a live action show with the style and tone of BTAS (still my favorite Batman "film" incarnation of all time) would be an amazing series, and I would be glued to the set every week.

Agreed. I love that show. I still think that it's one of the best representations of Batman. And Damn Kevin Conroy did an amazing job.

P.S.: Don't go looking for pictures of Kevin Conroy. You will be disappointed by what you find. The voice and the face do not match.
Old 07-31-12, 08:36 PM

He's quite haggard, yes.

Older pictures of him are a different story. He might've worked as a Bruce Wayne depending on how old he was at the time photos of him much younger were taken.

Amazing show, and I've been revisiting it recently. Funny the parts I remember, even the music in certain episodes.
Old 07-31-12, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo

I certainly hope he wouldn't fucking say that.
Ah yes, but "The shadows betray you, because they belong to me" is a winner?

Let's not pretend plenty of Batman lines aren't corny.
Old 07-31-12, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Ah yes, but "The shadows betray you, because they belong to me" is a winner?Let's not pretend plenty of Batman lines aren't corny.

Damn right it is. Actually, they both are. The animated series was epic, but most of the people on this forum weren't even alive during the initial run, which started in 1992, the weekend Batman Returns hit theaters.
Old 07-31-12, 09:12 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's not pretend plenty of Batman lines aren't corny.
Nobody calls the goddamn Batman corny!

Old 07-31-12, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

36 pages and over a week later, I finally saw this in IMAX today.

And I loved it.

This entry, more than the other two, felt like an emotionally engaging, serious film that took Bruce Wayne places that most superhero films don't. I loved the redemption of going from a broken man at the beginning, to literally being a broken man when he foolishly tried to just jump right back into the game without properly assessing his opponent. It reminded me of some Rocky III shit, and Bane was Mr. T.

Nothing was easy for Bruce here. That first fight with Bane was incredibly draining, and the desperation on Batman's part was palpable. He was so easily deconstructed by Bane, reduced to nothing.

I almost wish the film had been longer so his time in the prison could have been expanded a bit more. It's not like those scenes didn't cover all the ground they needed to, but I was particularly fascinated by his journey back to civilization. Having to essentially rebuild himself like he did in the first film, only this time it was in a stronger way.

I loved Hardy as Bane, but it bothered me when he was reduced to just a fangless henchman at the end. I knew the twist would be coming, since I knew who Tate really was, but it made Bane seem more vulnerable than he'd been set up to be. Still, he was an enigmatic and powerful figure, and I really love how Hardy tackled the role.

Hathaway has an incredible ass. She was also much better than I expected here. Great character, smart, sharp, cunning. I don't think she needs a spin-off film or anything, but she was a solid addition to the cast.

JGL continues to prove he's one of the top young actors working today. I can't say a bad thing about Blake, and I had no problem at all with the reveal of his name at the end. I thought he did exactly what a "Robin" should in this film, and that's do everything to aid Batman without becoming the hokey sidekick everyone is familiar with.

Zimmer's score was excellent. I've always liked his themes for the series, and this one was the high point of them for me.

The ending. Is anyone surprised this is how Nolan would end it? I really don't know what to think - or what I want to think - but that's what's so great about an ending like this. It's divisive, and either you love what he did or you think it stinks. Could Batman have dropped out at the last second and lived? I guess, but that's a helluva blast radius he'd have to get clear of in less than 3 seconds. And what are the odds of Alfred sitting down in the same cafe, in the same city, at the same time Bruce is there at some point int he future? Exactly. I think it was done to give fans a glimmer of hope, but Bruce Wayne did what he set out to do as Batman, and he died doing it.

Where to go from here? No reboot, not necessarily. Same universe and characters, have Blake take up the cowl, fight like a bastard to get his skills up. I don't think just anyone can be Batman; it's not some populist position, but maybe Blake could be the right guy.

I'll try to see this again, and if I do it'll definitely be in IMAX because Nolan really made the most of that format. It looked gorgeous.

p/s - I don't even understand anyone comparing this to The Avengers. They're so far removed from each other that it's retarded to even try.

Last edited by islandclaws; 07-31-12 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-31-12, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Damn right it is. Actually, they both are. The animated series was epic, but most of the people on this forum weren't even alive during the initial run, which started in 1992, the weekend Batman Returns hit theaters.
It ran from 92-95, so you're saying most people on this forum are younger than 17?? Sorry, but that's way off.
Old 07-31-12, 10:00 PM

Batman Returns premiered on June 19, 1992.

Batman: The Animated Series premiered (as a Fox prime-time debut) in September 1992.

I was born in 1981, and remember seeing both as they first arrived vividly.
Old 07-31-12, 10:14 PM
Banned

I'm pretty sure most of the people in this forum were already working their first or second job when the animated series premiered.
Old 07-31-12, 10:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
And what are the odds of Alfred sitting down in the same cafe, in the same city, at the same time Bruce is there at some point int he future?
Not as far removed as you seem to believe since Alfred told him the exact cafe he goes to and the exact time when he goes to said cafe every single year. All Bruce would have to do is sit in that cafe on that day. That's not exactly rocket science.

And it wouldn't exactly be difficult for him to figure out Alfred's flight schedule, even if he didn't already know when Alfred would be there, which he does.

In short, he's not dead. Stop overthinking it.
Old 07-31-12, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I was 21 when BTAS premiered. Never missed a single episode.
Old 07-31-12, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Batman Returns premiered on June 19, 1992.

Batman: The Animated Series premiered (as a Fox prime-time debut) in September 1992.

I was born in 1981, and remember seeing both as they first arrived vividly.

You're right, technically. That weekend, they did premiere a Catwoman story arc featuring Red Claw and then Sunday night they premiered The Man-Bat episode. Then it started in the Fall on a regular basis.
Old 07-31-12, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal

p/s - I don't even understand anyone comparing this to The Avengers. They're so far removed from each other that it's retarded to even try.
Two huge summer comic book movies, one of which proved more successful than the wildly successful previous entry in the other's series.

Yeah, that's a stretch.
Old 07-31-12, 10:36 PM
Banned

Two huge summer comic book movies, one of which proved more successful than the wildly successful previous entry in the other's series.

Yeah, that's a stretch.
Especially since one had bullshit 3D ticket prices artificially inflating its box office the world over.
Old 07-31-12, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Especially since one had bullshit 3D ticket prices artificially inflating its box office the world over.
Apparently people thought it was worth the extra expense.
Old 07-31-12, 10:43 PM

This is pretty much how I feel. The movie has flaws (like all movies). It also happens to be awesome. The majority of "plot holes" either don't exist or are insignificant.

I just can't understand how anyone could get worked up over any of these "plot holes" in a movie that is "a blatant fantasy," as the author put it. Its like getting bent out of shape over the "errors" in time-travel movies.

I really feel that audiences have changed. If Jaws came out today, people would probably be debating just how the shark got that big. Or in Raiders, how did Indy get off that sub? Or why isn't E.T. wearing clothes?

These types of movies, ESPECIALLY comic book movies, are tall tales or camp-fire stories. If they keep you on the edge of your seat, they did their job. They don't need to hold up in a court of law.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.