Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
18.48%
29.35%
26.09%
12.68%
5.80%
3.99%
0.72%
0%
0.36%
0.72%
0%
The Dark Knight Fails!
1.81%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-12, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by RoboDad
The more I think about it, I think I can pin down exactly what his voice sounded like to me. It was like Sean Connery doing his best impersonation of Goldfinger.
Ha. My brother-in-law said Connery's Bond, and I said Goldfinger when we discussed the voice.
Old 07-30-12, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
it just occurred to me that I cannot recall how

Spoiler:
Bane dies

LOL...
It should have been Batman. It was ridiculously anti-climatic.

I know everyone is wondering how they'll do another Batman series, well I've been playing through Arkham City (like many of you probably) and I admit I'm ready for a new series.

I want something fantastical that gives us Killer Croc, Mad Hatter, Riddler, Harley Quinn, Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy. I want them to give it the Harry Potter treatment... meaning at least 7 movies with a new villain each movie that comes out every 2-3 years.

Make it happen WB.
Old 07-30-12, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Someone on another site I go to wanted something similar, the fantasy elements with Guillermo Del Toro at the helm.
Old 07-31-12, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw this movie last night and I'm pretty shocked to find 54 pages of bitching here.

Sure, I noticed some of the flaws mentioned on this thread. But they hardly detracted from the experience. I got to see it in a packed IMAX theater and it was just awesome. The tension just kept ramping up higher and higher, building to an incredible climax. And the final shot, very well deserved.

Again, I'm shocked that everyone here is debating minutiae instead of enjoying the best movie of the year so far. In my opinion, this is the best of the three and a Day One purchase (including all exclusives!).

By the way, anything after the credits?
Old 07-31-12, 12:33 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, the WB logo is after the credits.
Old 07-31-12, 12:34 AM

Also, I see alot of comments trashing Nolan and looking forward to the next director in line to take over the Batman franchise. Well, good luck with that. I honestly can't imagine anyone else doing a better job.
Old 07-31-12, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by RD1973
I just saw this movie last night and I'm pretty shocked to find 54 pages of bitching here.

Sure, I noticed some of the flaws mentioned on this thread. But they hardly detracted from the experience. I got to see it in a packed IMAX theater and it was just awesome. The tension just kept ramping up higher and higher, building to an incredible climax. And the final shot, very well deserved.

Again, I'm shocked that everyone here is debating minutiae instead of enjoying the best movie of the year so far. In my opinion, this is the best of the three and a Day One purchase (including all exclusives!).

Quite honestly, I thought it was the worst major movie I have seen in a while. Easily. The plot, and there is tons and tons and tons of it, is simply put ridiculous and stupid.

The script and direction create no empathy at all for any character in the movie except for Alfred but even that tips the other way into melodrama.

The "twist" was utterly ridiculous.

I just found the whole thing excruciatingly dull and unimaginative. But it clearly thinks it is super intelligent and deep.

Really looking forward to a reboot with a different vision. Nolan's never worked for me, and I thought this movie was pathetically bad. The first two were OK, and Ledger was brilliant in the second one.

I am consistently shocked people like it. It's long, pretentious, dull, uninteresting and emotionally crippled. All the characters are treated like pawns in a movie version of chess. All the dialogue is exposition. There is no tension and no drama. There is no arc here, no story.

It is a 3 hour movie that amazingly also seems rushed and hastily chopped down from a 4.5 hour cut at the same time, especially in the ludicrous and trite final act.

At the end I just wanted my money back, and I never think that. For me this was a one star affair, that is being insanely overrated on this board.
Old 07-31-12, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Also, I see alot of comments trashing Nolan and looking forward to the next director in line to take over the Batman franchise. Well, good luck with that. I honestly can't imagine anyone else doing a better job.
I think most directors would do a better job.
Old 07-31-12, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I also think it's the best movie of the year. I highly enjoyed it in the theater, and will be buying it when it comes out on DVD as well.

But I don't think the majority of criticisms against it here are minutiae. The story is pretty weak, and even with the 3 hour running time it wasn't enough to allow the fleshing out of all the characters and sub-plots. A lot of it for me felt rushed.
Old 07-31-12, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Again, I'm shocked that everyone here is debating minutiae instead of enjoying the best movie of the year so far.
Two things: 1) it's the end installment of a massively popular trilogy, so I think it's expected to be dissected piece by piece, and 2) many would expect "the best movie of the year" to hold up under even basic scrutiny--especially one where the makers clearly go to pains to make as realistic as you can with a six foot rubber bat--and for some people, the movie does not.

There's really not much I can add, except that I had the same problems with it that I had with The Dark Knight: WAY too long, way too much plot, a scope and ambition that, while an admirable try, Nolan's talents simply can't handle, scenes between characters that seem like exposition dumps handled in the most perfunctory way until we can get to the next action sequence, gaping logic holes and emotional moments that quite frankly don't feel earned in the slightest, because Nolan is too busy looking at the grand scale to focus on the more intimate, character-based moments.

There's a lot to admire in the movie (cinematography, set design, music and special effects are all aces), there's some great moments and touches scattered about and I really like Hardy and Nolan's choice of Bane's voice; his upper crust, aristocratic accent gave everything he said and did a very unnerving edge, which is far more effective than if they went with the standard menacing growl. And the chase scene where Batman comes roaring out of nowhere with the Batpod and the familiar theme kicks in? Absolute "Hell yes!" moment. Loved the ending, too; but for me, Nolan's Batman starts and stops with Begins, which is still my favorite of the series and still one of my favorite films.
Old 07-31-12, 01:52 AM

Well, I'm still in shock. The movie I saw was honestly just awesome.

I guess I'm not into dissecting my favorite movies. Few movies can hold up when put under a microscope anyway. I wanted thrills and it delivered. As for the flaws, there was nothing to get bent out of shape about, in my opinion.

And as for Nolan, I haven't seen a single movie from him that I didn't like. However, it seems that some have turned on him already. I never thought it would happen. But then again, I didn't think it would happen to Raimi or Cameron either.
Old 07-31-12, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Again, I'm shocked that everyone here is debating minutiae instead of enjoying the best movie of the year so far.
The Internet can ruin anything.

I can't call it the best of the year, because I haven't really seen anything else this year other than Avengers, but I came out of the theater thoroughly entertained despite a quibble or two.
Old 07-31-12, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I should reiterate that, while I had problems with the plot holes and logic leaps, I enjoyed myself. I don't love it, nor do I hate it, and falling between the two doesn't mean I'm indifferent. Film appreciation needn't be binary.
Old 07-31-12, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Was it only me, or did anyone else get a distinct Sean Connery vibe from Bane's voice?
A friend of mine mentioned Connery. He sounded like Johann Kraus to me.

Old 07-31-12, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Completely disagree

I'm not a huge Nolan fan, but he's been pretty much perfect for this franchise.

I would be down for a Del Toro take on the more "fantastical" villains as well, though I've never been particularly fond of his storytelling (visually though, he'd knock it out of the park).

Last edited by RichC2; 07-31-12 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-31-12, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
This thread is a mess.

All of the answers...which is to say mostly non-answers:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Dark-...ons-32070.html

And my personal favorite:
The person who wrote that article needs to see the movie again. Bruce and Miranda were not close. In fact, a point was made that they never saw each other before when Fox was telling Bruce how attractive she was.
Old 07-31-12, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gail Simone, writer of some really good comics (including Batgirl) says that bane sounds like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqyD8E1QATs
Old 07-31-12, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 313 Likes on 215 Posts

And as for Nolan, I haven't seen a single movie from him that I didn't like. However, it seems that some have turned on him already. I never thought it would happen.
Were you not around for the Inception threads?
Old 07-31-12, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Well, I'm still in shock. The movie I saw was honestly just awesome.

I guess I'm not into dissecting my favorite movies. Few movies can hold up when put under a microscope anyway. I wanted thrills and it delivered. As for the flaws, there was nothing to get bent out of shape about, in my opinion.

And as for Nolan, I haven't seen a single movie from him that I didn't like. However, it seems that some have turned on him already. I never thought it would happen. But then again, I didn't think it would happen to Raimi or Cameron either.
Exactly. It's fucking fanboy-ism at its worst.
Old 07-31-12, 09:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Enjoy your Michael Bay Batman movie, then.

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
2) many would expect "the best movie of the year" to hold up under even basic scrutiny--
No, they wouldn't. Because no movie ever made in the history of cinema holds up under "scrutiny". A movie is by definition a fantasy. All of the best movies ever made have at least one (and this is basically a lie, since they'll have way more) ridiculous conceit that doesn't hold up in reality, even when playing by its own universe's basic rules.

Anyone who knows anything about cinema already knows this, but in this day and age, picking apart the most ridiculous trivialities seems to be the norm for movie "criticism". Fuck the performances or the story, how the fuck did Talia stab a knife through the Batsuit, when it should hold up to knives I thought?! (Actually, no, in the last movie there's an entire scene where Lucius says that the new suit will be more susceptible to knives and gunfire, sleepyguyjunior098.) Duh, guess I was wrong, guysz...?! Still sucks, though, amirite, lol?

Not to mention the fact that most of the complaints have been proven in this very thread to be misunderstandings made by people apparently too stupid to even pay attention to the movie.

Last edited by Dragon Tattoo; 07-31-12 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-31-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by reubs82
Gail Simone, writer of some really good comics (including Batgirl) says that bane sounds like this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqyD8E1QATs
That's great and does sound like Bane.
Old 07-31-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Enjoy your Michael Bay Batman movie, then.

No, they wouldn't. Because no movie ever made in the history of cinema holds up under "scrutiny". A movie is by definition a fantasy. All of the best movies ever made have at least one (and this is basically a lie, since they'll have way more) ridiculous conceit that doesn't hold up in reality, even when playing by its own universe's basic rules.

Anyone who knows anything about cinema already knows this, but in this day and age, picking apart the most ridiculous trivialities seems to be the norm for movie "criticism".

Not to mention the fact that most of the complaints have been proven in this very thread to be misunderstandings made by people apparently too stupid to even pay attention to the movie.

Exactly.
Old 07-31-12, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Exactly.
Thank you for providing such a perfect example of fanboyism at its absolute worst.
Old 07-31-12, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Ugh. Why don't you defend the movies you like without attacking its critics?
Old 07-31-12, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thank you for providing such a perfect example of fanboyism at its absolute worst.
That would be redundant. Go read the comments from like 20 pages back to see.

You don't need me to point anything out for you.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.