Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
18.48%
29.35%
26.09%
12.68%
5.80%
3.99%
0.72%
0%
0.36%
0.72%
0%
The Dark Knight Fails!
1.81%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Old 07-23-12, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Probably the biggest thing that bothered me about this movie was the scale. I mean, in the comics, it's not so apparent at times, but you'd think the US government would be pretty concerned about a masked vigilante who used high-tech gear like Batman did operating in a major city. The president is going on TV and there's a nuclear weapon in Gotham... I mean... at some point, Batman sorta looks really unrealistic in this world.
Old 07-23-12, 01:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Superboy
Probably the biggest thing that bothered me about this movie was the scale. I mean, in the comics, it's not so apparent at times, but you'd think the US government would be pretty concerned about a masked vigilante who used high-tech gear like Batman did operating in a major city. The president is going on TV and there's a nuclear weapon in Gotham... I mean... at some point, Batman sorta looks really unrealistic in this world.
You can make that argument about any superhero movie. At the end of the day, that's what this is, a superhero movie.

Just because Nolan has made it "more realistic", does not automatically make it The Godfather. It is a fantasy. I don't have a problem with it, but goddamn, a lot of you do seem to.
Old 07-23-12, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like on Breaking Bad, which is said to exist an a hyper-reality, anything goes, but it still needs to be grounded in a shred of reason.
Old 07-23-12, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Superboy
Considering that in the comics, his back was healed by magic... I think it was an improvement.
Agreed. Healing a spinal chord injury by punching someone in the back as they dangle from a rope is a lot more plausible than magic.
Old 07-23-12, 01:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
like on Breaking Bad, which is said to exist an a hyper-reality, anything goes, but it still needs to be grounded in a shred of reason.
Yeah, like magnets that wipe out Solid State drives.
Old 07-23-12, 01:54 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Right, because most laptops come with solid state drives.

I do agree that the Occupy theme was undercooked. All we really got was Bane speechifying, intercut with people partying and a kangaroo court. If I were a member of the Occupy movement and some guy used tanks to blow open a prison and give all the prisoners guns, I'd be scared shitless. I would not be partying.
Old 07-23-12, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I do agree that the Occupy theme was undercooked. All we really got was Bane speechifying, intercut with people partying and a kangaroo court. If I were a member of the Occupy movement and some guy used tanks to blow open a prison and give all the prisoners guns, I'd be scared shitless. I would not be partying.
Except it wasn't the Occupy movement theme.

This film's story was finished before there was an Occupy movement.
Old 07-23-12, 02:12 AM
Banned

Right, because most laptops come with solid state drives.
You clearly don't know what you're talking about, because the brand of laptop featured in BB last week is a model that ONLY comes with a solid state drive.
Old 07-23-12, 02:59 AM
Banned

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TgGCT6Ag4kk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love Mark Hamill.
Old 07-23-12, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
I love Mark Hamill.
It's an exceptionally good impression of Hamill's Joker, I'll give him that.
Old 07-23-12, 05:31 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
You clearly don't know what you're talking about, because the brand of laptop featured in BB last week is a model that ONLY comes with a solid state drive.
It could have been a big hunk of plastic that said "laptop" on it. The particular brand wasn't important, nor the particular model. That's not necessarily true of some of the issues this film has.
Old 07-23-12, 06:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CloverClover
I dont see how anyone can watch TDK then TDKR and think they are the same caliber. TDK is world class filmmaking full of moral gray areas, intricate plotting and batman action... TDKR feels like the cheesy 60s TV show by comparison. Can't even believe it is the same director.
A-the frak-Men. You nailed it.....while watching this, I couldn't help but keep thinking of X-Men 3. It feels like a huge joke was played on us and somehow Bret Ratner came in as a surprise mystery director......
Old 07-23-12, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts

I went in to this expecting it to love it and think it the best of the series, but was pretty disappointed. The wife and I watched the first two last week to prep for it and it wasn't even close to as good as either of them. That's not to say it was a terrible movie, just a substantial step down from the previous two.

First, the good. The performances across the board were great. Hathaway nailed it. Joseph Gordon Levitt was solid. Hardy made a menacing Bane. Caine & Bale gave their best performances of the trilogy and Oldman was as good as he normally is. Cotillard wasn't particularly great, but she wasn't bad either.

Also, the overall story was a nice way to conclude the characters. It did a good job with their arcs and brought things to a satisfying end. That said, a lot of the film just didn't work for me. Some of my complaints are large and some are small, but they all took me out of the film.

- Bane/Talia's prison was stupid. First, Bane repeatedly barks about how he was raised in darkness and never saw light until he was a man and blah blah blah. Then he drops Bruce off there and it's basically a well with blinding sunlight pouring down from above, enough to light up the whole place. In flashbacks, they even show Bane, in the light, helping Talia escape. Not to mention, why in the hell did they take Bruce to the prison, other than the fact that Nolan thought it'd be a neat place to film and obviously liked using it to force Bruce to 'grow' to be able to get back and help Gotham? It made zero sense to fly him halfway around the world to force him watch what was happening where he originally had been and it made his return to Gotham just feel silly.

- The bat jet or whatever it's being called completely shattered the illusion that Batman's gear was hypothetically possible in Nolan's world. No way that thing's getting off the ground. Might as well have given him a jet powered dirigible. It looked silly as hell every time it was on screen with it's underbody rotors. Same goes for the bat pod, which went from being a crazy-ass, heavy duty, but could-possibly-exist-in-the-real-world motorcycle to something that looked like a cartoon with rotating tires.

- Bane/Talia's plan was horribly executed while Bruce was in the pit. They went to all this trouble to rile people up, pitting the haves against the have nots. Bane tells Bruce that he's going to have to watch as the people of his city tear each other apart. Then what do they do? Impose strict order through marshal law, execute the handful of people who violate it or are cops that aren't in the sewers and maintain public services. Both Batman Begins & The Dark Knight had much better versions of Gotham tearing itself apart. This one was pretty much just keep everyone scared and placid until we nuke them.

- The idea that an orphan saw Bruce once and somehow knew he was Batman and hadn't killed Dent and so on was just silly and completely unearned. "I could tell because you had that look that I have." Well, are you sure you're not the fucking Batman then?

- What the fuck was the Scarecrow doing with Bane? I mean, he was manipulated and used by the League of Shadows in the first movie. Then he's a minor crime figure in the second. Then, in this, Bane/Talia come back to avenge Ra's and decide to look up some random guy he tricked and put him in charge of a court that basically served no purpose as no one knew what was going on there except for the people executed? I know Nolan loves Murphy and I think he's a great actor, but his role in this was forced to the point of nonsense. And the making people walk onto the ice? Silly, not particularly creative or scary and pretty much in the movie to allow Murphy to say 'death by exile'. Not to mention that scene itself.
Gordon: "I'd rather be killed now than die by falling through ice."
Scarecrow: "You're sentenced to death by falling through ice. Now go out there and do it or we'll kill you now."
Gordon: "Awww shit, ok. Guess falling through ice it is, since I couldn't just fight back and force you to shoot me because it doesn't serve the narrative."

- Blake as Batman? Well, I guess it's good they set up that the mantle can be handed off, because he's not going to last long. Wayne had years of training and the job still beat the hell out of him. Blake will be dead or a cripple within months.

- The nuke's going off in hours. We've got to get everyone out of the city. By everyone, I mean a small bus of orphans.

- The city's cops are free, what's our plan? Why don't we just charge into incredibly superior firepower and hope our heart wins the day? Sounds good to me.

There are other story-ish foibles, but that's enough to make the point. The film was the most poorly paced/edited of the three as well. It did a really poor job at indicating the passage of time, to the point that characters repeatedly had to basically look into the camera and state how many hours/days/months/years had elapsed. It's one of the few movies I've seen where it felt like it was simultaneously 30 minutes too long and 30 minutes too short. Oh well. Again, it did a nice job at bringing character arcs to their conclusion and was a serviceable end to the trilogy, but I don't know how it had the same writers as the last two and it was drastically below it's potential.
Old 07-23-12, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I went in to this expecting it to love it and think it the best of the series, but was pretty disappointed. The wife and I watched the first two last week to prep for it and it wasn't even close to as good as either of them. That's not to say it was a terrible movie, just a substantial step down from the previous two.

First, the good. The performances across the board were great. Hathaway nailed it. Joseph Gordon Levitt was solid. Hardy made a menacing Bane. Caine & Bale gave their best performances of the trilogy and Oldman was as good as he normally is. Cotillard wasn't particularly great, but she wasn't bad either.

Also, the overall story was a nice way to conclude the characters. It did a good job with their arcs and brought things to a satisfying end. That said, a lot of the film just didn't work for me. Some of my complaints are large and some are small, but they all took me out of the film.

- Bane/Talia's prison was stupid. First, Bane repeatedly barks about how he was raised in darkness and never saw light until he was a man and blah blah blah. Then he drops Bruce off there and it's basically a well with blinding sunlight pouring down from above, enough to light up the whole place. In flashbacks, they even show Bane, in the light, helping Talia escape. Not to mention, why in the hell did they take Bruce to the prison, other than the fact that Nolan thought it'd be a neat place to film and obviously liked using it to force Bruce to 'grow' to be able to get back and help Gotham? It made zero sense to fly him halfway around the world to force him watch what was happening where he originally had been and it made his return to Gotham just feel silly.

- The bat jet or whatever it's being called completely shattered the illusion that Batman's gear was hypothetically possible in Nolan's world. No way that thing's getting off the ground. Might as well have given him a jet powered dirigible. It looked silly as hell every time it was on screen with it's underbody rotors. Same goes for the bat pod, which went from being a crazy-ass, heavy duty, but could-possibly-exist-in-the-real-world motorcycle to something that looked like a cartoon with rotating tires.

- Bane/Talia's plan was horribly executed while Bruce was in the pit. They went to all this trouble to rile people up, pitting the haves against the have nots. Bane tells Bruce that he's going to have to watch as the people of his city tear each other apart. Then what do they do? Impose strict order through marshal law, execute the handful of people who violate it or are cops that aren't in the sewers and maintain public services. Both Batman Begins & The Dark Knight had much better versions of Gotham tearing itself apart. This one was pretty much just keep everyone scared and placid until we nuke them.

- The idea that an orphan saw Bruce once and somehow knew he was Batman and hadn't killed Dent and so on was just silly and completely unearned. "I could tell because you had that look that I have." Well, are you sure you're not the fucking Batman then?

- What the fuck was the Scarecrow doing with Bane? I mean, he was manipulated and used by the League of Shadows in the first movie. Then he's a minor crime figure in the second. Then, in this, Bane/Talia come back to avenge Ra's and decide to look up some random guy he tricked and put him in charge of a court that basically served no purpose as no one knew what was going on there except for the people executed? I know Nolan loves Murphy and I think he's a great actor, but his role in this was forced to the point of nonsense. And the making people walk onto the ice? Silly, not particularly creative or scary and pretty much in the movie to allow Murphy to say 'death by exile'. Not to mention that scene itself.
Scarecrow: "You're sentenced to death by falling through ice. Now go out there and do it or we'll kill you now."
Gordon: "Awww shit, ok. Guess falling through ice it is, since I couldn't just fight back and force you to shoot me because it doesn't serve the narrative."

- Blake as Batman? Well, I guess it's good they set up that the mantle can be handed off, because he's not going to last long. Wayne had years of training and the job still beat the hell out of him. Blake will be dead or a cripple within months.

- The nuke's going off in hours. We've got to get everyone out of the city. By everyone, I mean a small bus of orphans.

- The city's cops are free, what's our plan? Why don't we just charge into incredibly superior firepower and hope our heart wins the day? Sounds good to me.

There are other story-ish foibles, but that's enough to make the point. The film was the most poorly paced/edited of the three as well. It did a really poor job at indicating the passage of time, to the point that characters repeatedly had to basically look into the camera and state how many hours/days/months/years had elapsed. It's one of the few movies I've seen where it felt like it was simultaneously 30 minutes too long and 30 minutes too short. Oh well. Again, it did a nice job at bringing character arcs to their conclusion and was a serviceable end to the trilogy, but I don't know how it had the same writers as the last two and it was drastically below it's potential.
These are all very valid arguments. My wife and I had the same response--and we also did our homework the week before. Without sounding too arrogant, I think that the problems with the film will be discussed more thoroughly in time. I recall both "Episode I" and "Spider-Man 3" were given a lot of sighs and confused looks, but did not receive the utter hatred until months later.

I do not suggest that "Rise" is anywhere near as bad as those two films, but there are just too many problems with the script to ignore. As much as I love Nolan taking the saga in his own direction, he just took the saga to too many different avenues here. We could have cut the Modine, Levitt plots and handed the crucial plot elements to Gordan (who is MIA for most of the film). Too many subplots, too many characters.

I could forgive those if the film truly had heart to it. But I left feeling cold and underwhelmed. I hate being negative (I love, love the first two). But I can't deny what I felt in my gut once the credits ran.

At least my wife felt the exact same way. She'll have to be my shield against any fan-boy wrath!

www.film-matters.net
Old 07-23-12, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Saw it twice over the weekend and really enjoyed it. TDK is my fav out of the 3, but still a wonderful trilogy.

A few thoughts, I don't know if they have been addressed yet. According to the Joker in TDK a year has passed since Batman Begins. TDK looks like it takes place over a couple of weeks, and then Batman goes into hiding. Did he operate any, without being seen, or really go into retirement? Was he only active for roughly a year total? In Rises its mentioned several times he was active for years.

The flaw that stands out for me is, if he was inactive for 8 years, why does the sudden mention of Bane bring him out? Technically Bane had not done much in Gotham yet.

Also can I assume Bruce injured his leg in the fall with Harvey?
Old 07-23-12, 07:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by glassdragon
As soon as

Spoiler:
Miranda stabbed him, I was like "Oh shit, that's Talia"
That reminds me isn't that suit supposed to be bullet proof, fire and knife proof?
Cause what's the point of wearing that instead of cloth.
Old 07-23-12, 07:44 AM
Banned

I ranked it 3 stars barley. I went to see it in IMAX and then planned on getting one those bootlegs to watch till the dvd goes on sale later this year.
But after watching the movie I don't need the bootleg or dvd.
Old 07-23-12, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wm lopez
That reminds me isn't that suit supposed to be bullet proof, fire and knife proof?
Cause what's the point of wearing that instead of cloth.
From TDK, when Bruce gets the lighter more flexible suit:

LUCIUS FOX
Now, there is a tradeoff: the spread of the plates gives you more weak spots. You'll be more vulnerable to knives and gunfire.

BRUCE WAYNE
We wouldn't want things getting too easy now, would we? [picks up the suit] How will it hold up against dogs?

Last edited by chess; 07-23-12 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-23-12, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by mhanlen1
Saw this in a real 70mm IMAX theater today, and was blown away. Those 2 hours and 45 minutes fly by. I recommend anyone see it in true IMAX if they can instead of digital IMAX. Fortunately we have 1 real IMAX theater playing it in St. Louis. I wish it was a flat screen and not a dome Omnimax, but at least I saw it in the best resolution possible.
I'm assuming you saw it at the Science Center? Ronnie's 20 is showing it in 15-70 Film IMAX as well. They converted their IMAX theater to digital a couple of years ago, but they're still capable of projecting film IMAX and they are doing so for TDKR: link. The screen isn't as big as the science center or the biggest IMAX screens, but it is bigger than most LieMAX screens (and it's "flat").
Old 07-23-12, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Deception.
Old 07-23-12, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

It could have been a big hunk of plastic that said "laptop" on it. The particular brand wasn't important, nor the particular model. That's not necessarily true of some of the issues this film has.
It looked like a Samsung Series 3 laptop to me (definitely wasn't a 5, 7 or 9), which is their lower end model that only comes with hdd. Not that it matters.
Old 07-23-12, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
"Ah, theatricality and deception. Powerful agents to the uninitiated. But we ARE initiated, aren't we Bruce?"

Loved that line right before he hits the lights.
Old 07-23-12, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Deception.
The only way I can figure this word would be applicable to the paragraph you bolded is if you mean Bane's exaggerating his past to intimidate Bruce, which doesn't make sense in how the action plays out and would seem an ineffectual approach given the line you pointed out about deception not working on the initiated.
Old 07-23-12, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The only way I can figure this word would be applicable to the paragraph you bolded is if you mean Bane's exaggerating his past to intimidate Bruce, which doesn't make sense in how the action plays out and would seem an ineffectual approach given the line you pointed out about deception not working on the initiated.

On a one on one yes. But it was never just Bane against Batman. It was Bane AND Talia. It was a one two punch of theatricality AND deception. You could even call it foreshadowing if you want. Foreshadowing with words as opposed to footage.

I was paraphrasing.
Old 07-23-12, 09:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

One thing my wife pointed out...if they wanted to hide the fact that the kid climbing out of the well was a girl, why did they cast a recognizable actress?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.