Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
18.48%
29.35%
26.09%
12.68%
5.80%
3.99%
0.72%
0%
0.36%
0.72%
0%
The Dark Knight Fails!
1.81%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12, 04:35 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by csant
At my theater they made a mistake and played TDK and the funny thing was everyone was quite till about 10 mins... I guess people were thinking it was a flash back or something. rofl...

Lol
Old 07-20-12, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Haven't read through this thread yet, but just got out of a (real) IMAX showing and i'd rate it 4 1/2 stars, equivalent to what I would give Batman Begins but behind Dark Knight which I would put at 5.

Really, really enjoyable movie but a few quirks and things that kind of bugged me. I totally geeked out at the first Bane and Batman fight, and when the Batman music hit during the motorcycle chase... hell, every time his theme hit, I was completely enthralled. My only problems were that I still could only understand half of what Bane was saying, and what I felt were some annoyances in editing where scenes skipped around a lot with the passage of time.

Something I didn't care for...

Spoiler:
I didn't like the Robin bit at the end though. I wish they didn't say Robin, and said Grayson or something instead. I did like him finding the cave though.

Certainly breaks the trend of crappy 3rd entries in Superhero movies. Time to read this thread now that I won't be spoiled!
Old 07-20-12, 05:02 PM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan

Something I didn't care for...

Spoiler:
I didn't like the Robin bit at the end though. I wish they didn't say Robin, and said Grayson or something instead. I did like him finding the cave though.
This is what I've been saying too. It's too straight forward. I would have much prefered him saying his name was
Spoiler:
Grayson
instead.
Old 07-20-12, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We saw it earlier. I thought it was fantastic, and I was tearing up at the end. I'm a big fan of Nightwing, so the end was awesome for me (even if nothing ever comes from it).

One thing I noticed, though, was that when the military blew the bridge up in front of Blake, the design left on the concrete looked like the crest that goes across Nightwing's chest on his New 52 costume.
Old 07-20-12, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I also enjoyed Crane's cameo.

"Death or exile?"

"We'll take death!"

"Death it is...by exile."

That was such an Eddie Izzard moment. lol

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 07-20-12 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-20-12, 06:05 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I forgot to give my say on this after the 18th. saw it in Fort Worth. I really loved it. I like it's tone much more than TDK, which I also really like as well. It's got a tonal balance of both BB and TDK.

The action was solid. Really loved the cast and approve that this is more of a Wayne film than a Batman film. Hathaway was a pretty good Selina Kyle. I really felt for Alfred. It was very nice to actually get Alfred's take on all this. The best thing about this film is Wally Pfister's cinematography. Gorgeous, especially in IMAX. Really glad that Nolan took it this way for the last film. Kind of original in a way, if you get me. Way to go, Nolan.

my main quibble w/ this...was that...it kind of rushed through certain parts. Everything else I really enjoy and accept fine. it wasn't a horrible rush but just kept going w/ the story instead of reflecting on what it's doing so that we can suck it in a bit. I'm not sure how to explain it. Would straight forward be what I'm thinking? Hrmm. Maybe straight forwards and a bit too convenient w/ it's plot elements. Tate's involvement, the device, etc. It flows nice but too clean.

Anyway. I enjoy this one the most I think just cuz of the locations, the drama, everything. Just jives w/ me more.

Bane was awesome. Just loved the lack of music in the 1st fight between Bats and Bane. Loved the stress it put on Bats. The struggle he had w/ it. It was a very operatic fight in a way. Not in visual so much but it's tone. As a villain. He's there to just destroy and break Gotham. It's less terrifying than Joker...though I prefer him more because of Hardy's visual for him.

Really dug the ending and the name of a guy there didn't bother me. Just a neat little thing there.

i'd probably say it's a B+ or A-. It's far from the best movie I've ever seen in my life. That's just stupid. It's also far from a bad film as well. Also stupid. It's a very nice and compact film for sure though.

The Avengers was better than TDKR. BUT...I prefer TDKR over The Avengers just cuz I enjoy Hardy, the comic book elements used, the overall package.
Old 07-20-12, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I loved the movie even though I felt that Christian Bale was overshadowed by the other actors in this movie. Didn't much care about the casting of Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle when it was first announced but I thought she was one of the highlights of the film.
Old 07-20-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, Hathaway nailed it.
Old 07-20-12, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got out a bit ago. Very very solid film IMO, and a strong completion of the trilogy. I'll give it a but at least partly because I'm a fan of Batman and the genre.

My fear was that they were adding too many characters with
Spoiler:
Bane, Catwoman, Talia, and Robin
and it would end up a train wreck like Spider-Man 3 (which had similarly strong first and secont installments), but they really nailed this one.

It tied in nicely with the first film in terms of themes, characters and plot, and it capitalized well on the big developments in the second film. The pacing was solid, and the writing cleverly tied the characters and plot together.

Bane was a terrific villain, and was every bit as menacing as the Joker (though not quite as entertaining). My only gripe is that I really felt like I was straining to understand some of his dialogue, but I only missed a line or two. They also integrated just enough of Knightfall to finally render Bane as he is supposed to be.

I also have to give a nod to the music. The Bane theme and the Batman theme were played off of each other to brilliant effect.

Overall, a great flick, and an instant buy on Blu.

Last edited by chess; 07-20-12 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-20-12, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thinking about it some more, I don't think i'm a big fan of the John Blake character and the focus on him.

Spoiler:
Him randomly knowing Bruce Wayne is Batman is one of those annoyances I have where some random person deduce's the superhero identity out of nowhere. That along with him knowing what really happened with Dent... I don't know, seemed like it was too forced to throw in another "good" hero character for the audience. Especially with all the screen time he got in the movie. Given the "Robin" bit at the end, I almost wished they went with a full on Tim Drake detective skill discovery of Batman's identity rather then a somewhat goofy orphan connection with Bruce although I don't know how much time there would be to squeeze that in too.

I would have been just as happy leaving him out, and doing more with Tate and Bane.
Old 07-20-12, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And a random thought, hearing the name Daggett made me think of Roland Daggett from the animated series. Looking him up now, I didn't realize he was made up for the cartoon.
Old 07-20-12, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by csant
At my theater they made a mistake and played TDK and the funny thing was everyone was quite till about 10 mins... I guess people were thinking it was a flash back or something. rofl...
Haha - wow. That's pretty funny.
Old 07-20-12, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it in IMAX. A few minor quibbles, similar to TDK, but overall I loved it. It definitely is more of the straight out action movie of the three, but if one were to take all of Christopher Nolan's movies as a whole story, you have the definitive Batman saga. I can only imagine how much time he and his brother must have spent pouring over comic collections to find a way to tell this story, but they succeeded. They realize that when you make a comic franchise, you don't need to have the characters look exactly like their counterparts, or necessarily have the same origin. The important aspect is whenever they do appear, their actions are faithful to those of the source material. TDKR got that correct in all aspects, right down to Anne Hathaway doing Catwoman's wiggle walk.
Spoiler:
Even "Robin", in the way he was used, was an accurate representation of the character.

I am also happy I stayed spoiler free for this, and in all honesty, that 90% of the alleged ones online were complete B.S. I was surprised by how a lot the story unfolded. I saw a few things coming, but only because of my comic reading.

Minor gripes :

Spoiler:
Bane going out in a somewhat comical manner, and Ras Al Ghul once again not calling Batman "detective."
Old 07-20-12, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by auto
Yeah, Hathaway nailed it.
I agree, she's probably the best portrayal of the character in terms of faithfulness to the source material.
Old 07-20-12, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Having only watched the teaser and the first two trailers (no commercials, subsequent trailers, IMAX footage description, etc.), I believe I enjoyed this movie a lot more. Wish I could have been disciplined and watched none, but I needed something to hang onto. Even though the plot wasn't necessarily explained, kind of sucks how some of the greatest shots are spoiled in trailers.
Old 07-20-12, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Michael Caine deserves an Oscar for his role. All of his scenes were so emotional. Those were the more powerful scenes of the film that really kicked me in the gut. Very heart wrenching stuff.
Old 07-20-12, 07:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dex14
This is what I've been saying too. It's too straight forward. I would have much prefered him saying his name was
Spoiler:
Grayson
instead.
They clearly did it because only the nerdiest of nerds would know what that meant. Not to mention the fact that this version was
Spoiler:
based on more than one Robin's backstory, with a heavy slant towards the Tim Drake version (almost telegraphed by the scene where he deduced Batman's identity on his own), so saying "Grayson" would not have been correct either. At the same time he couldn't go "My real name is Tim Drake Richard Grayson Damien Wayne Stephanie Brown". By just naming him Robin, it was something everyone could enjoy, and not just a select contingency of Batman geeks. Everyone knows who Robin is. Few know the specifics of the Drake, Grayson, Damien, and Brown Robin history.
Old 07-20-12, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I think Michael Caine deserves an Oscar for his role. All of his scenes were so emotional. Those were the more powerful scenes of the film that really kicked me in the gut. Very heart wrenching stuff.
Agreed.

There's no "steal the show" Heath Ledger performance in this, but everyone was very, very solid in my opinion. This was Christian Bale's best in the series. Anne Hathaway was the perfect blend of sexy and badass. Tom Hardy was just plain terrifying (wasn't very difficult to understand - loved the tone in his voice).
Old 07-20-12, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I also enjoyed Crane's cameo.

"Death or exile?"

"We'll take death!"

"Death it is...by exile."

That was such an Eddie Izzard moment. lol
That was as good as: "I told you my compound would take you places, I never said they'd be places you wanted to go."

Heath Ledger and Tom Hardy will the lion's share of attention for villainy in this trilogy, but Cillian Murphy added a wonderful quirkiness to these three movies with The Scarecrow.
Old 07-20-12, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As a comic fan, I loved that this saga ended with
Spoiler:
Bruce and Selina together. Everyone knows that their each other's soul mate, it just never did happen. Granted, there's no way the relationship will last, but since Nolan says this is it, it will as far as we're concerned.
Old 07-20-12, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
As a comic fan, I loved that this saga ended with
Spoiler:
Bruce and Selina together. Everyone knows that their each other's soul mate, it just never did happen. Granted, there's no way the relationship will last, but since Nolan says this is it, it will as far as we're concerned.
Agreed. I'll echo what most everyone else said here. The film isn't perfect, but in my mind it is EASILY the best third act of a three-act trilogy by far. As a whole, this will probably end up being my favorite movie trilogy just for my love of Batman. And the ending was perfect.

I was expecting
Spoiler:
Wayne to die and Batman to live on, but I really loved how Nolan sent Bruce out. Finally, after an entire life, he's 'free' from his duty as Gotham's hero.
REALLY enjoyed the movie.

9/10 from me, and that is rare. I'll be the odd one and say I actually rank all three as 8's or 9's depending on the trilogy. As a closed, complete, story...Nolan really nailed it.
Old 07-20-12, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Really? I thought there was one too many "Alfred makes a speech" scenes, and the one at the gravesite was bordering on silly and overacted. Then he leaves for half the movie.

And why does Gotham not need Batman anymore? All of those prisoners who escaped, whole swaths of the city destroyed...seems like crime is going to be around for awhile. I don't really understand why the end of this movie means the end of Batman.

Spoiler:
The replacement may have his heart in the right place, but he'll get his ass whipped compared to Batman in the field.

Last edited by Draven; 07-20-12 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-20-12, 08:44 PM

OH! Did anyone else catch the police officer's reference to
Spoiler:
the Killer Croc? When Gordon goes into the sewer, one of them says something about not going down there because there could be giant killer crocodiles.
I think I was the only one who caught the reference in my theater.
Old 07-20-12, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by StephenX
OH! Did anyone else catch the police officer's reference to
Spoiler:
the Killer Croc? When Gordon goes into the sewer, one of them says something about not going down there because there could be giant killer crocodiles.
I think I was the only one who caught the reference in my theater.
I caught it, but I could tell that would have to be my private moment in my screening. Nice to know I'm not the only one that geeky.

Another change they made from the comic that I liked:

Spoiler:
Bane defeating Batman while Batman still has a fair amount of strength in him without the benefit of venom or making him fight through all of Arkham's villains. This really added to his menace IMO.

Also, did anyone kind of get a Rocky III flashback when Alfred was warning Bruce about the possible consequences of fighting Bane? Yes, I'm that geeky.
Old 07-20-12, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I caught it, but I could tell that would have to be my private moment in my screening. Nice to know I'm not the only one that geeky.

Another change they made from the comic that I liked:

Spoiler:
Bane defeating Batman while Batman still has a fair amount of strength in him without the benefit of venom or making him fight through all of Arkham's villains. This really added to his menace IMO.

Also, did anyone kind of get a Rocky III flashback when Alfred was warning Bruce about the possible consequences of fighting Bane? Yes, I'm that geeky.
A friend made a comment of "they should have played Eye of the Tiger while Wayne was trying to escape the pit."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.