Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ant-Man (2015, D: Reed) S: Rudd, Douglas, Lilly, Stoll, Peña

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ant-Man (2015, D: Reed) S: Rudd, Douglas, Lilly, Stoll, Peña

Old 07-07-15, 10:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Ant-Man (2015, D: Reed) S: Rudd, Douglas, Lilly, Stoll, Peña

Just got back from seeing this. It's a great, fun movie.

Word of mouth on this should be through the roof. The entire audience had a blast!
Old 07-08-15, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Good video review by the Schmoes guys:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6WBO-arfLz8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They loved it by the way.
Old 07-08-15, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dave94

Word of mouth on this should be through the roof. The entire audience had a blast!
Great to hear How's it compare to the rest of the MCU movies?
Old 07-08-15, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Originally Posted by dave94

Wait, the audience didn't howl with rage when Peyton Reed's name popped up instead of Edgar Wright? The internet has lied to me!

Glad it was fun - I'm really looking forward to it!
Old 07-08-15, 09:44 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to be honest, when Edgar Wright dropped out of Ant-Man and Peyton Reed took over, I was not happy. I was really excited to see Wright's vision of the character, and I closed myself off at that point. However, after all that I have seen of what Reed is bringing to the table, I can’t wait to see the movie.

Uproxx got the opportunity to sit down and talk with Reed about how it was to take over the project after Wright's departure and what he kept from Wright’s original script and what he added. Here are some of the best parts of the interview.

SPOILER WARNING!
Spoiler:
There are no devastating revelations in these answers, but they do give a look into the movie including parts of the final battle. So, if you want to know nothing ahead of time, then stop reading NOW!

When asked what it was like to take over the project after someone dropped out and if it was a tough decision, he explained,

"I think I just had to really think it through in terms of, regardless of who had developed it before, was just that someone else had developed it for some time. For me, it was really only a question of do I have the time and is there a willingness on the part of Marvel to let me make this movie my own. I read all of the existing drafts that Edgar [Wright] and Joe [Cornish] wrote. It was clearly Edgar and Joe’s idea to make this a heist movie and to sort of loosely base it on Marvel Premiere “To Steal an Ant-Man” that introduced Scott Lang. It was also their idea to create this Hank Pym/Scott Lang, mentor/mentee relationship. And, also, their idea to kind of do a Marvel movie where the third act battle take place in a little girl’s bedroom. Genius. It was great"

When asked what he added to the story, he said,

"Well, I came on about the same time that Adam McKay and Rudd were doing rewrites. And I’ve known McKay for some time and we talked on the phone and we were both really jazzed about the idea of, in the third act, in a movie in which we will have seen shrinking a bunch, let’s take it even further in the third act and introduce what, in the comics, was the microverse, in what we call the quantum realm. Creating this moment of self-sacrifice where he has to go into the quantum realm to save his daughter, that was something that was never in those drafts that Adam and I brought to it."
Then he revealed a nice little nugget about the movie,

"So, I love that as a science fiction concept and, of course, Richard Matheson wrote The Incredible Shrinking Man, so I love the Richard Matheson aspect of Ant Man. And Adam came up with the idea that in every heist movie, there’s a trial by fire and they’ve got everything in line for the heist, but we need this one thing. Adam pitched that idea of sending Scott on a mission for which he’s not quite prepared and he comes up against another Marvel character. That blew my mind, and particularity with that specific character."

From recent trailers, it looks like that character is Falcon. Still, I am happy with Reed’s responses and what we are going to get in the upcoming movie. Are you as excited as I am?
Old 07-08-15, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like they pulled the review..Maybe the embargo is not up yet
Old 07-08-15, 10:54 AM

Received 864 Likes on 567 Posts

Little Ant Man...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TLTqi9MQzZs
Old 07-08-15, 10:56 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

only review i've seen so far; spoiler free

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/ant-man/news/?a=122527

You won’t want to miss Ant-Man. It’s definitely one you need to see in a theater (preferably 3D). There’s really something in it for everyone, children and adults. Hats off to Marvel, Peyton Reed and the cast and crew for doing something different AND fun. Ant-Man is right up there with Iron Man (2008) and Guardians of the Galaxy. Easily one of the top Marvel movies to date. I have to agree with GotG director James Gunn’s review (he was sitting near my son and I at the premiere) – “A Complete Blast!”
embargo should be lifted around 2pm PST
Old 07-08-15, 11:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Why is the kid dry humping the bug at 1:12? I think he is trying to pick the bug up, but it looks more like dry humping.
Old 07-08-15, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I would love nothing more than for this to blow up huge so we have another great Marvel thread to look back on that's filled with doom and gloom.
Old 07-08-15, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here we go..Forbes with its Review up

First page talks mostly about Box Office.

:

Ant-Man is the first Marvel movie I can 100% call an outright “family film” as well as being a top-notch superhero movie, a comedy, and a heist film. The parental themes, and the narratives about children in pain from the loss of parents, drive the entire story and drive all of the main characters’ arcs, even the villain’s.

Marvel has done it again, and Ant-Man is among my favorite of the Marvel Studios films. It’s delightfully unexpected in its willingness to scale down, yet in doing so shows us how remarkable and important the smaller things in life truly are, after all.
Possible Spoilers, as I have not read the entire review:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhugh...eview-ant-man/
Old 07-08-15, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tracking is now up to about $65 mil opening. I think it's probably safe for at least $70 mil, and could surprise us all like Guardians did with its $94 mil opening.
Old 07-08-15, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Great to hear How's it compare to the rest of the MCU movies?
Like most of the early reviews are saying, it's such a different take on the super hero genre from the other Marvel movies. And that's what's so great about it.

I love that we're in this era of so many super hero films, but we're seeing the formula possibly start to get a bit overused. This shows just how much more there is to be explored within the whole of the MCU.

Just like the Winter Soldier showed you can create a whole new espionage sub-genre in the super hero world, Ant-Man brings the heart, comedy and fun and does its own thing. I had similar feelings when I saw Guardians. I can't wait to see it again and can't recommend it highly enough.
Old 07-08-15, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,394 Likes on 949 Posts

pretty glowing review from The Verge: http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/8/891...rvel-paul-rudd

While this isn't going to be a mega-hit, I'm glad that this is basically shutting up all the people who thought it was going to turn to shit when Edgar Wright left the movie.
Old 07-08-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/antman/

12 fresh, 7 rotten so far. Looking at the blurbs, seems like the jokes and family relationship stuff fall flat for those that didn't care for it.
Old 07-08-15, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hrmmm. I don't mind the family bit cuz Lang always had an interesting thing w/ him but if it falls flat....it must really fall flat cuz it's Marvel.
Old 07-08-15, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones

While this isn't going to be a mega-hit, I'm glad that this is basically shutting up all the people who thought it was going to turn to shit when Edgar Wright left the movie.
It would've been better had they kept him. That much is certain.
Old 07-08-15, 06:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
It would've been better had they kept him. That much is certain.
Wright fanboys from two months ago: Ant-Man is going to suck without Wright. That much is certain.

Wright fanboys now: Ant-Man may be good but it would have been much much better if Marvel kept Wright. That much is certain.
Old 07-08-15, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,394 Likes on 949 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Wright fanboys from two months ago: Ant-Man is going to suck without Wright. That much is certain.

Wright fanboys now: Ant-Man may be good but it would have been much much better if Marvel kept Wright. That much is certain.
Exactly.
Old 07-08-15, 06:18 PM
Banned

It would've been better with Wright helming what was a passion project for him. More a unique standalone and less another cinematic cog in the giant Marvel wheel which is exactly why he was forced to leave. But no, each one of these movies have to also be about the next one coming up on the assembly line. Gotta have those credit previews and secondary character cameos.
Old 07-08-15, 06:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
It would've been better with Wright helming what was a passion project for him. More a unique standalone and less another cinematic cog in the giant Marvel wheel which is exactly why he was forced to leave. But no, each one of these movies have to also be about the next one coming up on the assembly line. Gotta have those credit previews and secondary character cameos.
Haven't we already been over this before when I mentioned something about Wright's touch not being a guarantee to automatically turn everything to gold?

Unless you have personally read Wright's script and can actually compare it to the theatrical release, then there is absolutely no way you can say that it is for certain that Wright's version is better than what we got. To say that Wright's version would have been better is 100% pure speculation on your part. It is not certain at all.
Old 07-08-15, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,006 Likes on 841 Posts

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-big-bomb.html
Old 07-08-15, 06:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979

Unless you have personally read Wright's script and can actually compare it to the theatrical release, then there is absolutely no way you can say that it is for certain that Wright's version is better than what we got. To say that Wright's version would have been better is 100% pure speculation on your part. It is not certain at all.
Not 100% certain. But pretty damned likely.
Old 07-08-15, 06:40 PM
Banned

Wright couldn't make a stale film if he actually, intentionally tried to.
Old 07-08-15, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,194 Likes on 928 Posts

It does still kind of seem like the people who are skeptical on this film are still upset over Wright's departure. The reviews are making me even more excited for this than before. Can't wait until next week!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.