Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ant-Man (2015, D: Reed) S: Rudd, Douglas, Lilly, Stoll, Peña

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ant-Man (2015, D: Reed) S: Rudd, Douglas, Lilly, Stoll, Peña

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-12, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
re: Ant-Man (2015, Wright) S:Rudd

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
I know, I just can’t get over the power. To me I like my superheroes primarily based on their power or coolness and if I would want it. Kinda living vicariously through them. Because I wouldn't want his power, I really don’t care about the character at all. Same thing with Cyclops from the X-Men.
If the writers of the X-men actually used Cyclops in the correct way, he's pretty much one powerful mutant when you think about it. His skin should be pretty damn near impenetrable because other than some ruby quartz lenses, the only thing hold back the force of his optic blasts are... his eyelids?!
Old 07-16-12, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe they are wasting money on this movie. Don't get me wrong, for fans of the character/comic I am happy they will get a big screen adaption but I just don't get why the studio is doing this.
I can. It's an entirely smart move for Marvel Studios.
  1. It's a character most Marvel fans adore.
  2. Marvel grabbed a writer and director who already have a built-in fanbase and who can do right by the property. The last time they made a move like this, they released a film that is the third highest grossing film of all time. If The Avengers was an awful or lackluster film, do you think it would've done $600 million plus domestically?
Old 07-16-12, 01:54 PM
Political Exile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-16-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I can. It's an entirely smart move for Marvel Studios.
  1. It's a character most Marvel fans adore.
  2. Marvel grabbed a writer and director who already have a built-in fanbase and who can do right by the property. The last time they made a move like this, they released a film that is the third highest grossing film of all time. If The Avengers was an awful or lackluster film, do you think it would've done $600 million plus domestically?
You can't compare a movie with established cool heroes who all had successful films of their own before to a movie about a character most people have never heard of and who most kids won’t want to pretend to be. Somehow I don’t see an influx of kids wearing Ant Man costumes at Halloween.

I think that with the success of the previous films and the awareness of the characters to the casual fans/general public, Avengers would have been a big hit even the movie itself wasnt as good as it turned out. Maybe not record breaking but still very successful.

I just can't imagine a film about a minor charactor (in the public's eyes not Marvel fans) who doesnt have a cool power being a blockbuster. Again I hope to be proven wrong.
Old 07-16-12, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Yeah, it's obvious that super-hero movies just aren't marketable these days.
Old 07-16-12, 04:21 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

it could work well, if they play it off like he's the red headed stepchild of the Marvel universe... an underdog type movie... never getting the call when the shit really hits the fan...
Old 07-16-12, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't compare a movie with established cool heroes who all had successful films of their own before to a movie about a character most people have never heard of and who most kids won’t want to pretend to be. Somehow I don’t see an influx of kids wearing Ant Man costumes at Halloween.

I think that with the success of the previous films and the awareness of the characters to the casual fans/general public, Avengers would have been a big hit even the movie itself wasnt as good as it turned out. Maybe not record breaking but still very successful.

I just can't imagine a film about a minor charactor (in the public's eyes not Marvel fans) who doesnt have a cool power being a blockbuster. Again I hope to be proven wrong.
I don't think the general public really knew Iron Man or Thor before their movies came out. Heck, my father-in-law never even heard of the Green Lantern, certainly a classic DC character, until I showed him the movie. He kept thinking it was going to be the Green Hornet.
I don't think public awareness needs to be high on a hero. Make it a good movie and they'll come. They can always brand it as part of the Avengers franchise in some way.
Old 07-16-12, 04:33 PM
Banned

Somehow I don’t see an influx of kids wearing Ant Man costumes at Halloween.

Hank Pym is a great role model for kids with all his wife beating antics.

Old 07-16-12, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Not quite the blockbuster, but for only costing $18M it made a damn good chunk of change to have 2 sequels made.

Is $230M worldwide considered a blockbuster?

Ok.. maybe this was a stretch...
Old 07-18-12, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Iron Man was a second or third tier character, and his movies did real well. Most people didn't know who he was before, but now Iron Man is more of a household name. Antman may not have been as popular as Iron Man before the movies, but if done right the movie could upgrade his status in the public view.
Old 07-18-12, 01:26 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Edgar Wright is a fucking great director. I'm sure he can do justice to what otherwise is a very odd character to make a film out of.

Not to mention...not only does he shrink..he does turn into a giant.

Aside from the comics..I've seen no good use of him..till Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (great..such a fucking great show that Disney is canceling..fucking assholes). Watch that show..and he actually serves a purpose, in a viable visual medium.

Also:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xChGwFrDxE8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h4oqCnz4K_I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-18-12, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I assume we will get Wasp Woman in this movie as well? Has it been mentioned?
Old 07-18-12, 01:52 PM
Banned

I'd assume so. Marvel is very loving for their heroes. So I assume she'll be pop up at some point. I wonder how Ms. JVD will be when we're presented w/ her?
Old 07-18-12, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

It's just The Wasp, not Wasp Woman.
Old 09-26-12, 04:12 PM
Banned

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qGJ0tMAxbkk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-26-12, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that's pretty much what i imagined in my head from the descriptions i've read...i'd love to see the real thing. i'm really suprised edgar hasn't released this to the public already unless marvel won't let him.
Old 10-15-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Movie is coming November 2015, making it the first movie of Phase Three.
Old 10-15-12, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Meh, I'm over it. They've been talking about this flick since the Hot Fuzz days.
Old 10-15-12, 12:45 PM
Banned

Yeah cuz it's kind of a bitch to make convincing I assume.
Old 10-15-12, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

If they do make the movie...when he's small and talking he's supposed to sound like a chipmunk?
Old 10-15-12, 04:46 PM
Banned

That's not the way it worked in the comics or even the (solid as fuck) cartoon Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes that Disney thought it'd be smart to just cancel a fucking solid show for generic shit. But of course..it's Disney doing this..so I'm trying not to be surprised..but I still am. Motherfuckers.
Old 10-15-12, 10:32 PM
En vacance

Ok.
Old 01-29-13, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Confirmed: ‘Ant Man’ & ‘Doctor Strange’ Kickoff Marvel’s Phase Three

Oh goodie! More Marvel movies for me to snoop around and get more scoops from!

With Iron Man 3 officially kicking off Phase Two this May, Kevin Feige is wasting no time in getting Phase Three ready to jump off.

Kevin Feige confirmed in an interview with MTV that Edgar Wright’s Ant-Man will officially kick off Phase Three in November of 2015.

Fiege says:

“‘Ant-Man’ is definitely part of Phase Three. Like ‘Iron Man 3,’ it’s certainly set in the Marvel Universe, but it’s also through the lens of Edgar Wright — which is the only reason we’re making the movie… It’s very much an ‘Ant-Man’ origin movie from the perspective of Edgar Wright and his co-writer Joe Cornish. It will of course be firmly planted in the MCU, but a different corner than we’ve seen before.”

Not only that, Fiege also confirms that Doctor Strange is now officially in the mix:

“‘Doctor Strange,’ which I’ve been talking about for years, is definitely one of them. He’s a great, original character, and he checks the box off this criteria that I have: he’s totally different from anything else we have, just like ‘Guardians of the Galaxy.’ He’s totally different from anything we’ve done before, as is ‘Ant-Man,’ which keeps us excited.”

For more on what Fiege had to say, head on over to MTV to read the rest of the interview.

Source
Happy they making a Dr. Strange movie...he deserves one.
Old 01-29-13, 06:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sonic
Happy they making a Dr. Strange movie...he deserves one.
It was rumored several months ago that Viggo Mortensen would have a cameo role as Dr. Strange in Thor 2, but those rumors were denied.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/...ange-after-all
Old 01-29-13, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm getting really bored with all these superhero movies. This seems like they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for movie ideas.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.