Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Assassin's Creed (12/21/2016, Kurzel) S: Fassbender, Cotillard

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Assassin's Creed (12/21/2016, Kurzel) S: Fassbender, Cotillard

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-15, 12:51 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Assassin's Creed (12/21/2016, Kurzel) S: Fassbender, Cotillard

I don't see it as any stranger than him playing Magneto in X-Men movies, in which he's probably the best thing about the newer films.
Old 12-12-15, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
I don't see it as any stranger than him playing Magneto in X-Men movies, in which he's probably the best thing about the newer films.
Comic book movies are respected a lot more than video games. Actors can win Oscars for comic book movies. There have been dozens of video game movies and literally not one genuinely good one has ever been released.
Old 12-12-15, 09:22 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best one? Mortal Kombat. And it's barely any type of good. It's pretty much Enter the Dragon w/ special effects. Cuz it is. EtD is badass though. MK the movie... it's alright for that time.

EDIT: GREAT theme song though.

<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EjQ7jJx9PJk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That thing is still fucking awesome to hear.
Old 12-13-15, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Actors can win Oscars for comic book movies.
Name one who has.
Old 12-13-15, 08:29 AM
Banned

Name one who has.
Heath Ledger?
Old 12-13-15, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Heath Ledger?
Only was nominated/won because he died.
Old 12-13-15, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh hey, the goal post moved I don't see how anyone can deny that comic book movies are looked at much more positive these days where they easily attract big name talent now. Video games, not so much. Yet, anyway.
Old 12-13-15, 11:36 AM

It's not unheard of. Angelina Jolie easily the most obvious example. The genre will get respect once good movies actually get made. You have to start somewhere, or it will never happen.
Old 12-13-15, 11:38 AM
Banned

Only was nominated/won because he died.
That doesn't negate what deftones said though...
Old 12-13-15, 11:41 AM

That doesn't negate what deftones said though...
Kind of does. It's one movie, out of how many movies? It's a moot point.
Old 12-13-15, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Name one who has.
Heath Ledger?
Kind of does. It's one movie, out of how many movies? It's a moot point.
Not so moot when you just asked to name one, SS did...
Old 12-13-15, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Not so moot when you just asked to name one, SS did...
The guy was already dead, so it doesn't count. Does anyone honestly believe he would have won the Oscar that year, or hell, even been nominated, if he wasn't dead? How naïve are you people?
Old 12-13-15, 11:21 PM

Anyway, back to the topic of this movie, this probably has the best potential of any recent video game adaptation, namely because this series actually has a bit of a story and contains interesting characters. The problem with older video game movies were that they took a game with virtually no plot, and then shoehorned the characters into some half-baked/uninspired story that neither audiences or even fans could find entertaining. It's no accident that there are some decent games from time to time that are based on movies that turn out well, and that's because there was something there to inspire a good game. But the reverse is harder because a lot of games have no plot, and trying to force the game into a plot for a movie will 9 times out of 10 won't work. Newer games with some story cutscenes probably have a better shot at getting better film adaptations.
Old 12-13-15, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The guy was already dead, so it doesn't count. Does anyone honestly believe he would have won the Oscar that year, or hell, even been nominated, if he wasn't dead? How naïve are you people?
I think he would have been nominated
Old 12-13-15, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brack, is it your opinion that Ledger didn't deserve the Oscar, so that is why it doesn't count? Fact is, he was given the award, it's on the official list, so it does count. Sorry dude.
Old 12-13-15, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brack, give it up, dude.
Old 12-13-15, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I think he would have been nominated
It's very possible, sure, but then you have to remember he was dead way before the movie came out, which added to the buzz of the film, and thus propelled his performance to look even better because it was one of his last roles. He gave a better performance in Brokeback Mountain honestly, where that character is much harder to pull off than his over-the-top Joker. I'm really not trying to take away anything from his win, but it comes with an asterisk.
Old 12-13-15, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Trickshot
Brack, is it your opinion that Ledger didn't deserve the Oscar, so that is why it doesn't count? Fact is, he was given the award, it's on the official list, so it does count. Sorry dude.
Where did I ever state he didn't deserve the win. No one deserves anything, certainly not awards. You are missing my point completely.
Old 12-14-15, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by van der graaf
Brack, give it up, dude.
Give up what? The notion that he won because he was dead? Nope, I never will.
Old 12-14-15, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's very possible, sure, but then you have to remember he was dead way before the movie came out, which added to the buzz of the film, and thus propelled his performance to look even better because it was one of his last roles. He gave a better performance in Brokeback Mountain honestly, where that character is much harder to pull off than his over-the-top Joker. I'm really not trying to take away anything from his win, but it comes with an asterisk.
I didn't think so then, and don't think so now. Even watching the movie now i'm impressed by his performance and I think we're well after the time period where his death would have altered my opinion about it. But i've always been in the group that didn't think his death was as big of a reason for all of Dark Knight's success, nomination and all.

Either way, the argument is silly. He won an Oscar for a comic book movie and it doesn't matter if you want to discount it due to the circumstances. He still won. And even if you want to discount that example in the context it was brought up, I don't see how anyone would disagree that comic book movies are viewed more prominently then video game based movies currently.

Last edited by fumanstan; 12-14-15 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-14-15, 12:24 AM

This year's Furious 7 was the biggest one of the franchise because Paul Walker died. It's the Ledger Effect, the most recent and best example.
Old 12-14-15, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I didn't think so then, and don't think so now. Even watching the movie now i'm impressed by his performance and I think we're well after the time period where his death would have altered my opinion about it. But i've always been in the group that didn't think his death was as big of a reason for all of Dark Knight's success, nomination and all.

Either way, the argument is silly. He won an Oscar for a comic book movie and it doesn't matter if you want to discount it due to the circumstances. He still won. And even if you want to discount that example in the context it was brought up, I don't see how anyone would disagree that comic book movies are viewed more prominently then video game based movies currently.
And that's fine if you think I'm discounting the win. I'm not, and have given valid, logical reasoning, while people throw around words like "silly" and "didn't deserve" because they can't see the awards season for what it is and how it works. And calling it a comic book movie is almost an insult when comparing it to other films of the genre, and probably why, 7 years later, no one who stars in them have been nominated for serious awards, and probably never will be again.

I never argued the point of comic book movies being viewed more prominently than video game adaptations. The film grosses alone are proof enough. But it's nonsense to think comic book movies are by and large taken very seriously. They are up there with comedies, scifi, horror, etc. as being lesser genres, unfairly so, but that's the reality.

Fassbender starring in this video game adaptation shouldn't be questioned so much in this case, especially when other actors, Oscar winners, are in the cast, and the director is pretty decent and up and coming. I'm not saying it's going to be good, but it has a good chance of being good, and performing decently based on the points I've mentioned.
Old 12-14-15, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

This year's Furious 7 was the biggest one of the franchise because Paul Walker died. It's the Ledger Effect, the most recent and best example.
I can't wait to see Paul Walker get nominated for an Oscar!

There's a reason I said "as big of a reason" as opposed to having no effect, and I'd also say that franchise already had increasingly larger returns between sequels 4, 5, and 6 and that because Walker's death actually happening during filming and due to a car accident it contributed more then Ledger's death. Although I think there was enough of that discussion/analysis back when that movie came out.

And that's fine if you think I'm discounting the win. I'm not, and have given valid, logical reasoning, while people throw around words like "silly" and "didn't deserve" because they can't see the awards season for what it is and how it works. And calling it a comic book movie is almost an insult when comparing it to other films of the genre, and probably why, 7 years later, no one who stars in them have been nominated for serious awards, and probably never will be again.

I never argued the point of comic book movies being viewed more prominently than video game adaptations. The film grosses alone are proof enough. But it's nonsense to think comic book movies are by and large taken very seriously. They are up there with comedies, scifi, horror, etc. as being lesser genres, unfairly so, but that's the reality.

Fassbender starring in this video game adaptation shouldn't be questioned so much in this case, especially when other actors, Oscar winners, are in the cast, and the director is pretty decent and up and coming. I'm not saying it's going to be good, but it has a good chance of being good, and performing decently based on the points I've mentioned.
Saying he was only nominated and won because of his death, as well as saying there should be an asterisk, most certainly seems like discounting his win to me. Maybe you have a different definition of "discounting" then I do in this context. And it's funny for you to call me and other's out for our choice of words when you're the one calling people naive. And sorry, but I do think the entire Ledger exchange was silly - Oscars were cited, you said to name one, Ledger was mentioned, you said it didn't count. Like I said earlier, moving goal posts.

Comic book movies being viewed more prominently then video game movies ties directly to your comment comparing Fassbender being in the X-Men movies compared to this. There's a difference, and I think that's all anyone meant, even if it is a broad generalization. I'm not debating the merits of this particular movie or my hope that it might be good. Personally, I don't think Fassbender is so significant of an actor to be above fare like this anyway and don't even agree with the original comment anyway, I just see where others may be coming from.

EDIT: Corrected my reply to using the word silly

Last edited by fumanstan; 12-14-15 at 01:53 AM.
Old 12-14-15, 01:49 AM

Obviously I was talking about box office performance, not Oscar nods.

I just think it's funny this is the only Oscar win anyone cares about, while every other time the Oscars are seen more or less irrelevant (and they really are when we have this 10 film nomination crap that completely destroys the show, not the awards, portion).

Of course Ledger gave a memorable performance, but as I supported with circumstances around his nomination and win, it felt like his win had more to do with his death than anything else. Besides winning the Oscar, he won practically everything else he was nominated for at other awards shows/honors. That's unheard of even for Oscar front runners. It's blatantly obvious why he won EVERYTHING, and it wasn't so much because he was so great, but because no one wanted to be the bad guy and not give the dead guy, who died tragically I might add, awards.

There is no difference to playing a comic book character and playing a character in a video game adaptation, especially one like Assassin's Creed. Maybe if he was starring in Pong the Movie or something I'd agree.
Old 12-14-15, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Jesus Christ, you said name one actor who won an Oscar for a comic book movie and Snake did. End of discussion.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.