Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Better Peter Parker Tobey Maguire or Andrew Garfield?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Tobey Maguire Vs. Andrew Garfield
Tobey Maguire
59.85%
Andrew Garfield
40.15%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Better Peter Parker Tobey Maguire or Andrew Garfield?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-12, 03:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Better Peter Parker Tobey Maguire or Andrew Garfield?

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Fuck today's youth market. They're stupid and ignorant and have bad taste.
Spoken like a true old fart.
Old 07-08-12, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

The Amazing Spider-Man is not some sacred text. But the difference is, people who do follow/read sacred texts also change/update their own views as time goes on.

But if you update an element from this comic book from the 60s just a little bit, fuck no, that's not happening. Skateboarding? Didn't exist in the 60's! Hoodies? Nope, button down shirt and sweater vest only!

Hey, in this new movie Spider-Man didn't deliver three minutes worth of expository dialogue every time he is re-introduced on screen, where are the complaints about that?

And for those complaints about the Ultimate Universe: Let's not forget that Raimi's movies had organic web shooters, and this movie did not.

Last edited by bluetoast; 07-08-12 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-08-12, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
And for those complaints about the Ultimate Universe: Let's not forget that Raimi's movies had organic web shooters, and this movie did not.
Even Ultimate Spider-Man has mechanical web-shooters.
Old 07-08-12, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Ah the good old "the generation following my generation is the worst ever" blinded by rose-colored nostalgia glasses.
The one thing my generation never did as teenagers was to cop the, "We've got it tougher than anyone ever has," thing. We knew we had it good. We had perspective - we were damned glad NOT to have grown up during the Depression or during World War II. We weren't a bunch of whiners constantly complaining about how bad things were and how much tougher life was for us than for any previous generation. I couldn't relate to the kids from the 90's because of that attitude that so many of them copped. And it persists to this day with many in the current generation.

I just don't want my movies catering to that crowd. Sorry.

Because of course a lower box office is a direct result of not going with a more traditional Peter Parker. It couldn't perhaps have anything to do with being released in a worse economy than when the Raimi trilogy was released or anything.
Actually, the economy now is about the same as it was in 2002. You seem to have forgotten the post 9/11 recession. It was pretty bad in 2002.

It couldn't perhaps have anything to do with the fact that there was a lot of bad word-of-mouth following the initial trailers and footage so many people may have chosen to ignore it initially but maybe might change their mind later upon hearing the good reviews. Movies never have a better return on DVD sales or anything. Nope, none of that may apply. Its all directly related to not being a more traditional Spider-Man.
If I were the only person complaining about the changes to Peter and the other multiple flaws in the movie I'd buy into your comments. But I'm not. Not even close - a lot of people are making the same types of comments.

Like someone else said, the Avengers movie universe is a mish-mash of Ultimate and main Marvel. Does that bother you? Does it bother you Sam Jackson is playing Nick Fury?
No, only because Nick Fury in real life can't be a World War II vet. And Samuel L. Jackson did a great job as Fury, so I've got no complaints. His personality isn't that different from the Fury of the comics.

And none of the other Avengers' personalities are all that different from the characters as originally conceived in the 60's.

LOL @ not reading a comic in nearly two decades and then deciding automatically that the Ultimate universe must suck. How can you know it sucks if you never even tried it? Ultimate Spider-Man has universally been regarded as a very good book.
It may be, and I never said the Ultimate universe sucks. I just said it's different, it's not canon, and I'm not interested in it. It was created for teenagers when I was already an adult.

At times it has sold better than the Amazing Spider-Man title, and the ASM title has gone through a lot of really crappy crap since you stopped reading. Look up "Sins Past" and "One More Day." Those two stories were just plain horrible.
That may be. I don't care about more recent stories - comics lost that, "Fun," factor for me years ago. I still enjoy reading through a classic 60's or 70's comic every now and then, but the stuff from the 90's forward got a little too serious at times and lost that fun factor.

Also saying that the Ultimate universe isn't canon shows your ignorance of the current comics considering there is currently a crossover going on called Spider-Men in which the two universe Spider-Men meet each other.
OK, it's canon for an alternate universe. Whoop-de-fucking-doo! And yet another crossover to boost sales? There's a shock. That was one of the things that got me to stop buying comics in the first place. Stories that crossed over to 4 different titles for the same character. It got expensive.

I mentioned in another Spider-Man thread that Ben Reilly wore a hoodie. Ben is a clone of Peter, and therefore has the same exact personality of Peter. So Ben's hoodie-wearing personality comes directly from Peter, so even though Peter may not wear a hoodie he isn't adverse to the idea.
Ben Reilly wasn't Peter. He was always trying to hide that he looked like Peter, which is where that hoodie came from. He wasn't wearing it because he liked the style or something. He was portrayed as being very different from Peter because of what happened to him.

And that clone saga and the way it played out was another reason why I stopped buying/reading comics. They basically said that everything that Peter learned about himself in ASM 150 was worthless and null & void. At that point I saw that there was nothing that they wouldn't undo, no matter how important to the character. It went from being about great storytelling to being about sales.

To say your "classic" Peter wasn't a brat is also ignorance. He did selfishly let the burglar escape. Sure he grew up fast afterward, but he wasn't the goody twoshoes you seem to recall him being before that happened. You also have to remember that back in the 1960s, people were still in dreamland wanting to pretend life was like an episode of Leave it to Beaver. Real society was never accurately portrayed, so kids were never portrayed as being nearly as bratty as they are in real life. Even Dennis The Menace wasn't really all that much of a brat.
Most people don't go to see a Spider-Man movie to see real life. It's supposed to be escapism. It's supposed to reflect a more innocent look at life.

LOL @ thinking if this movie used the "classic" Peter it would be less dated. Because you know Raimi's trilogy isn't dated whatsoever with Macy Gray or the Power Ranger Goblin or anything. No siree Bob, not dated at all. And have you even read "classic" Stan Lee comics recently? I love Stan Lee, don't get me wrong, but to say those comics have aged well is blind ignorance of someone who hasn't read them in quite some time.
Those original comics from the 60's may be dated becuse of the style of clothes and because of the simplicity of the characters & stories, but they're still classics and are more enjoyable/fun to read than many of the Spider-Man stories of the 90's and 00's.

Raimi's movies were more fun and captured that innocence, so they made for better escapist fare. And THAT is why they did better at the box office. Spider-Man is supposed to be fun. And Peter isn't some emo skateboarder, either. He's a near genius nerd. Or he's supposed to be, anyway.
Old 07-08-12, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Even Ultimate Spider-Man has mechanical web-shooters.
Oh yeah I forgot about that, he used his dad's research for part of it right? I must have confused it with the ASM universe adapting organic for a while.
Old 07-08-12, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

So much vag-repellent in the last dozen posts...
Old 07-08-12, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
AKA, just being on DVDTalk.
Old 07-08-12, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Some of the things that people are complaining about, like Peter Parker wearing a hoodie and skateboarding, are beyond ridiculous. We have grown people trying to determine a comic book character's motivation for wearing a hoodie. Come on!

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
And yet meaningless fashion choices keep showing up in the debate.
Old 07-08-12, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Even though I like the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies (despite their flaws), I've never been much of a fan of Tobey Maguire in the lead role. Not sure why, but he didn't really strike me as Peter Parker.

I remember when Tobey Maguire held out for more money after the 1st film was a huge hit and so Sam Raimi threatened to replace him with Jake Gyllenhaal if he didn't return. I actually wish that recasting of the role had happened because I think Gyllenhaal would've been better than Maguire (at that time, that is, because now JG is too old for the part).
Old 07-08-12, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Spoken like a true old fart.
Get off my lawn!!!!

Old 07-08-12, 10:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Get off my lawn!!!!

Pleased to see the poll is really close. Combine this with the love interest poll where Emma destroyed Dunst and this series looks to have a bright future ahead of it.

Now they just need to work on a stellar sequel.
Old 07-09-12, 04:30 PM

I preferred Toby. He gave us the nerdy Peter Parker we all loved.

James Garfield gives us a douchebag Peter Parker who skateboards to Coldplay. no thank you.
Old 07-09-12, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IstvanTheHun
James Garfield gives us a douchebag Peter Parker who skateboards to Coldplay. no thank you.
To be fair, his presidential duties probably did detract from the role.
Old 07-09-12, 05:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by IstvanTheHun
I preferred Toby. He gave us the nerdy Peter Parker we all loved.
Try not speaking for everyone and maybe your "opinion" will have some merit.
Old 07-09-12, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
To be fair, his presidential duties probably did detract from the role.
touche. lol

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Try not speaking for everyone and maybe your "opinion" will have some merit.
it was the rhetoric 3rd person "we". and I speak for those who cannot post...those disenfranchised from the internet...haha.
Old 02-20-15, 09:23 AM

Andrew as in the first movie he was like the ditko/ultimate version while in the sequel he was the romita version.
Old 02-20-15, 09:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Manmademachine3
Andrew as in the first movie he was like the ditko/ultimate version while in the sequel he was the romita version.
Was that really worth a 2.5 year bump?
Old 02-20-15, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Josh Keaton....

Old 02-20-15, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Was that really worth a 2.5 year bump?
Yup...because I didn't vote the first time.

Old 02-22-15, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I just voted too hooray!
Old 02-22-15, 12:56 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Tobey Maguire. He was brilliant in The Spoils of Babylon.
Old 02-22-15, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Some time having passed since I voted, I stand by Maguire being the better Parker, but I think Garfield was the better Spider-Man.
Old 02-22-15, 01:38 PM
Cool New Member

It's Maguire. Not even close.
Old 02-22-15, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Some time having passed since I voted, I stand by Maguire being the better Parker, but I think Garfield was the better Spider-Man.
If you read the comics peter never acted much like tobey
Old 02-22-15, 02:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Raimi grew up reading Spidey during a certain era of his. I think that shows very much in his depiction of that world as well, Parker included.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.