Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jack Reacher (12/21/12, Dir: C. McQuarrie) (Cruise, Jenkins, Duvall, Pike, etc)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-12, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah, Jesus. I've been posting in the book forum. I search for the title and I started putting shit in there....but it's in the goddamn book forum. No wonder it was kind of mum in there.

A city is thrown into chaos following a shooting that leaves five dead. What at first seems like a simple case to solve becomes complicated when the accused requests that Jack Reacher be put on the case.
It's based off a book in a series. Never heard of it, guess I'll toss it on the list of books I should look into at some point.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kK7y8Ou0VvM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-03-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Jack Reacher (12/21/12, Dir: C. McQuarrie) (Cruise, Jenkins, Duvall, Pike, etc)

Great series, but Cruise as Reacher makes my balls shrivel. And that trailer does nothing for me.
Old 07-03-12, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Jack Reacher (12/21/12, Dir: C. McQuarrie) (Cruise, Jenkins, Duvall, Pike, etc)

If my memory serves me correctly Jack Reacher in the novels is almost 7 feet tall and ripped......
Old 07-03-12, 03:10 PM
Banned

He is. But that's also impossible to find an actor that can act well enough for that. Seems like the creator of the series thought so too, seems like he's fine w/ Cruise.
Old 07-03-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. Hated the idea when he was cast and he just looks and sounds silly talking tough in this trailer.
Old 07-03-12, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like Tom Cruise a lot, and the Jack Reacher novels are a lot of fun, but, man, is he out of place here. Yeah, he's not physically right for the character, but more than that, he just isn't as badass, as menacing as the character needs to be. Plus, he's so short. The character gets away with a lot just by being intimidating, and I can't see Cruise pulling it off.

I think Cruise wanted his own Bourne-like franchise with the up-close physical fighting and such and this is a great vehicle for that. Reacher does punch a lot of people in these books.
Old 07-03-12, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure most authors would be fine with Cruise being cast as a lead considering the star power he brings to a project.

Cruise doesn't just lack the height and build of Reacher (and because of that he fights more Borne than Reacher's brute), he doesn't seem to have the grit and gravitas either. He looks too pretty, too clean. Reacher is a drifter who rides the bus between backwater towns wearing Wranglers and a Hanes T, he doesn't cruise city streets in his cherry muscle car and designer leather jacket.
Old 07-03-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Wow, they pulled a Vampire$ with Reacher, I see. James Woods looked nothing like Jack Crow from the book, but it was a John Carpenter film, which is why it worked. I'm curious now.
Old 07-03-12, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought Tom Cruise was pretty intimidating in Collateral, so I don't see why this couldn't work. Plus, with Christopher McQuarrie writing and directing, you know it'll have some snappy dialogue.
Old 07-03-12, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981
If my memory serves me correctly Jack Reacher in the novels is almost 7 feet tall and ripped......
Not quite, but close enough. 6'5 and his weight varies between 215-250. You can also throw in the blue eyes, and blonde buzzcut as well. One of the worst miscasts on a physical level I've ever seen. Reacher is a basically a goliath and relies a lot on brute strength and force. Just what I expect out of 5'7 170 pound Cruise.

I always pictured Dolph Lundgren circa Universal Soldier when I read the books. Chris Hemsworth would have been a good pick.
Old 07-03-12, 05:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
And "John McClane" was a brutish Dirty Harry-type in Nothing Lasts Forever. In Benchley's Jaws, Hooper and Brody's wife have an affair. And in Who Censored Roger Rabbit, the lovable 'Toon gets machine-gunned to death. People need to get over this shit.
Old 07-03-12, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Never heard of the character or books before. Looks interesting to me.
Old 07-03-12, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
I always pictured Dolph Lundgren circa Universal Soldier when I read the books. Chris Hemsworth would have been a good pick.
For some reason I always picture a bigger version of Paul Newman circa Cool Hand Luke.

Anyway, I'm not attached to the material enough to say that just because Cruise won't capture the character from the books it can't be a good movie.
Old 07-03-12, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wmansir
For some reason I always picture a bigger version of Paul Newman circa Cool Hand Luke.

Anyway, I'm not attached to the material enough to say that just because Cruise won't capture the character from the books it can't be a good movie.
I haven't read the books but I know people who have. They described Jack Reacher as Jack Bauer on steroids. Just a huge, ripped insanely tough and intimidating dude with mad asskicking skills. I got the impression that his physical attributes always played a huge role in the books. Obviously Cruise doesn't have those physical attributes but as long as the movie doesn't try to portray him as an intimidating tough guy then it's no big deal in my opinion.

I agree that people need to chill out if movies don't exactly match the books they're based on.
Old 07-03-12, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by wmansir
Reacher is a drifter who rides the bus between backwater towns wearing Wranglers and a Hanes T, he doesn't cruise city streets in his cherry muscle car and designer leather jacket.
This.

I was kind of agnostic on Cruise as Reacher until I saw the trailer.
Jack Reacher is somehow the perfect hero for Great Recession America. He himself has been laid off, and the guys he almost always finds himself going up against are still apart of the system that tossed him out. It's also no coincidence that a lot of the best Reacher stories are set in Rust Belt America- the places hit hardest by "downsizing" and are also off the attention of corporate media.
Essentially, Jack Reacher is a character from a Bruce Springsteen song come to life.

The trailer makes this movie look like a big budget remake of DRIVE. And no where near as cool.
Also, since we're talking cars... Reacher spends a lot of time on the bus. He doesn't drive classic cars. I think the only notable car in One Shot (source material) in an H2, and it's mocked extensively.
I'm not laying a lot of these bad decisions at the feet of Tom Cruise, but I really think the filmmakers missed some great opportunities to make a film that really resonated with America (and a lot of the ticket buying world) in 2012.
Old 07-04-12, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. Hated the idea when he was cast and he just looks and sounds silly talking tough in this trailer.
this
Old 07-04-12, 09:55 AM

The books are generally light, breezy escapist reading centered around the character of Reacher and his physical attributes are a large part of what defines him, in addition to his military and family background. Casting Cruise clearly eliminates that component of the character and the other touches in the trailer like the $600 leather jacket and muscle car aren't helping much either - I have liked MacQuarrie's work in the past, but this looks like someone read the back cover of the novel and made that movie based on that.

And I can't be the only one who has pictured Adam Baldwin when reading the books can I?
Old 07-04-12, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

By the way, I just watched the trailer. Reacher in the books is MP (military police) right? The trailer made him out to be an ex-cop. Big difference.

Honestly, I don't think this movie will have any similarties to the book series other than the name of the lead character. For fans of the books, I think you just need to pretend that Tom's name is Bob Jones or something and then it'll just end up being a Tom Cruise action movie.
Old 07-04-12, 10:41 AM
Banned

While I've now great interest in the series' tone and whatnot from what I've read. I'm not stupid enough to not let the film stand on it's own either. It might be a stretch of an adaptation...but the film can't be shackled to the source. That goes for the book fans too. Otherwise we'd all hate the Bonds we've had. Which as a Fleming Bond fan I'm not a fan of the changes to that charcter's world. I'm not going to not say that we haven't had some great films from the series either...again.

It looks cool, seems like a different kind of Cruise role. Which I'm interested in for that. Not a Cruise fan but if he's got a movie that looks interesting to me...I'll see it. I hope it's good. Cruise is always interesting when he does something different. He does a bring a quality to it.
Old 07-04-12, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

Never heard of the books but I find the funniest thing about the trailer is the name "Jack Reacher". What a silly made up name.
Old 07-04-12, 12:17 PM
Banned

Better than Max Payne. Lol. I do love the MP games though, haven't played MP3 yet.
Old 07-04-12, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
Chris Hemsworth would have been a good pick.
Dwayne Johnson would be good, too.
Old 07-04-12, 12:38 PM
Banned

Reading the physical description of the character. Hemsworth, as mentioned, fits it better. Though..in sheer presence and size...I'd be ok w/ The Rock, really enjoyed Faster.
Old 07-04-12, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Never read the books but am aware of the character enough to know its a miscast. Nonetheless, I like Cruise and I liked the trailer. I'm in.
Old 07-04-12, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder how many phone books Tammy had to sit on the reach the steering wheel? 50 year old midget kicks the ass of several 6'3 dudes half his age?

This is like casting Mickey Rooney as Zorro.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.