Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jack Reacher (12/21/12, Dir: C. McQuarrie) (Cruise, Jenkins, Duvall, Pike, etc)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jack Reacher (12/21/12, Dir: C. McQuarrie) (Cruise, Jenkins, Duvall, Pike, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-12, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Jack Reacher (12/21/12, Dir: C. McQuarrie) (Cruise, Jenkins, Duvall, Pike, etc)

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Trailer pretty much hits every action cliche in the book.
Along with the marketing.... this trailer's better but it still just seems like standard fare - nothing unique about it. The last Mission Impossible worked because the film delivered, and word of mouth was good. That's what this'll need, because it doesn't have a lot going for it at the moment...
Old 10-17-12, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Jack Reacher (12/21/12, Dir: C. McQuarrie) (Cruise, Jenkins, Duvall, Pike, etc)

this could be good. Cruise knows what he's doing. he'll still have trouble with huge opening weekends because he's turned a lot of people off, but if the film is good then it'll get good word of mouth and people will show up
Old 10-17-12, 10:49 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Check out the cast list on imdb...
Old 10-17-12, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

I'll likely stick with the books.
Old 10-17-12, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Still a big no for me. I like Cruise quite a bit, but he is not Jack Reacher. I just can't get past the lousy casting.
Old 10-17-12, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

But Herzog! Seriously though I am unfamiliar with Reacher. Can I get an analogy so that I understand what type of miscasting this is?
Old 10-17-12, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluetoast
But Herzog! Seriously though I am unfamiliar with Reacher. Can I get an analogy so that I understand what type of miscasting this is?
Reacher in the books is like 6'4" and is chiseled to the max. He's a very imposing dude and pretty much his whole thing is that he's a big, huge badass that will fuck you up.

Think of an older and tougher looking Chris Hemsworth. I just mean that kind of physique. Maybe if Jeffrey Dean Morgan was ripped rather than just big. Personally I always thought he'd make a great Reacher even if he's not as ripped as the books make him out to be.
Old 10-17-12, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Reacher in the books is like 6'4" and is chiseled to the max. He's a very imposing dude and pretty much his whole thing is that he's a big, huge badass that will fuck you up.
So they should rename this movie to Jack Unreachable

♪ta-ran-tan♪*drumroll sound*
Old 10-18-12, 10:21 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

See I respect the fans of the books and how passionate they are for it but...you're opinion matters fuck all w/ the possible quality of the film is in using Tom Cruise as the film version of that.

It can be a good movie by being very different from the book...in any generality. The books do interest me though based off of wtf Reacher seems to be like in the book. This though looks like it can also be good. I like the tone Cruise gives off, he's a solid actor, and I kind of get a old school no BS type of vibe from what I can get from the story.
Old 10-18-12, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Based on some of the info about what he's supposed to look like, I think Clancy Brown might have worked.
Old 10-18-12, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I already posted this, but people that are big fans of the books should just pretend that the movie isn't called Reacher. Just pretend it's called Bob Jones: MP or something like that.

I agree that people that get bent out of shape because the movie is different than the book need to chill out, but Tom Cruise is SO DIFFERENT from what the character of Jack Reacher is supposed to look like that it's not even funny. Tom Cruise might as well been cast as Alex Cross. Alex Cross is supposed to be a 6'3" 250 pound black guy, so why not cast Tom Cruise? Tom Cruise as Alex Cross would have been only slightly more of a miscast as Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.

That said, I like Tom Cruise. He's goofy as fuck, but I enjoy his movies. Reacher looks like it might be good, but like I said, fans of the book series should just pretend that it's NOT a Jack Reacher movie. They might enjoy it a little more if they can get past that part.
Old 12-11-12, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Reviews are starting to roll in:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jack_reacher/

+ "Begins with one of the best directed sequences of the year, before spinning out a tangled web of hardboiled intrigue, bone-shattering action and ambiguous political philosophy."

- "Whereas the hyperkinetic actor looks best on the run, Reacher is a slow-moving, six-and-a-half-foot enforcer -- the kind of guy Cruise should be outwitting, not playing."
Old 12-11-12, 08:09 AM
Banned

Seems like that 2nd blurb is having a hard time separating the material and taking the film on it's own.
Old 12-18-12, 10:45 AM

I saw this movie at a test screening earlier this year. Although I'm not going to give any major plot points away or ruin anything- I'll hide it in spoiler tags anyway because I know how sensitive this place can be. If anyone needs to know anything super spoiler-ish- I can put it in another post.

Spoiler:
It was decent- I've never read the books so I don't have the baggage. He's definitely ex-military in the movie and not a cop. The car chase in the movie was pretty awesome. Some of the acting came off as made-for-tv-ish but I'm sure that a lot of that has been corrected in re-shoots, editing, or alternate takes. The ending was pretty tense too. Werner Herzog didn't do much as the villian, so anyone expecting more than a guy sitting in shadows and saying cryptic shit are going to be disappointed. Also there looks to be an explosion in the trailer- that was definitely NOT in the cut I saw of the movie.
Old 12-18-12, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I'm not going to read the spoiler to find out - did you like it?
Old 12-18-12, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Draven
I'm not going to read the spoiler to find out - did you like it?
Yeah there were a few bumps along the way, but I found it to be a decent mystery/thriller with some good action scenes. Don't expect much out of Herzog as the villain though. When I saw the test screening in it was called "One Shot." According to the people putting on the screening, the director was there and they said a few different cuts were being shown at the theater. The movie looked pretty finished when I saw it. I can't remember the exact date but I saw it about two weeks after "Safe" premiered in theaters.
Old 12-18-12, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Good to know - thanks!
Old 12-18-12, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tom Cruise is trying to get the "Jack Reacher" franchise up and running, and the first installment is a little on the underwhelming side. Jack is a loner ex-military guy who used to do military investigations on servicemen and now finds himself summoned by a defense attorney, played by Rosemund Pike, to prove her client didn't gun down a handful of innocent bystanders with a long-range rifle. It doesn't help things when the client is an ex-sniper from the army with a questionable past in the military. Christopher McQuarrie wrote and directed "Jack Reacher", and I still find him to be a good writer, but an okay director. But saying that, some plot turns to get to the chase sequences seemed too coincidental to keep the plot moving. There are some supremely loud rifle shots in the film. The pairing of Cruise and Pike held very little in the chemistry department.

I give it 2.66 stars, or a grade of C+/B-.
Old 12-18-12, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
The pairing of Cruise and Pike held very little in the chemistry department.

I give it 2.66 stars, or a grade of C+/B-.
Yeah. I don't know when you saw it, or what stage or production... but did any of the scenes between them seem awkward? There seemed quite a few weird pauses when they did scenes together- almost like we were watching an acting class instead of a movie.
Old 12-18-12, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Seems like that 2nd blurb is having a hard time separating the material and taking the film on it's own.
I don't see that as a problem. You should expect a movie based on a book to be somewhat faithful to the source material especially the main character. Cruise is in no way, shape, or form Jack Reacher.

So Jason Bourne could be Janet Bourne and a 4'11" female?

Last edited by d2cheer; 12-18-12 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-18-12, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mhanlen1
Yeah. I don't know when you saw it, or what stage or production... but did any of the scenes between them seem awkward? There seemed quite a few weird pauses when they did scenes together- almost like we were watching an acting class instead of a movie.
I saw it in late October. Not only were Cruise and Pike awkward, but the other young girl who, in every one of her scenes with Cruise, just gave off this "OMG, I'm in a scene with Tom Cruise" vibe throughout her scenes. It was laughably amaturish acting, and a better director would have demanded a better performance.
Old 12-18-12, 01:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I don't see that as a problem. You should expect a movie based on a book to be somewhat faithful to the source material especially the main character. Cruise is in no way, shape, or form Jack Reacher.

So Jason Bourne could be Janet Bourne and a 4'11" female?
Actually it is a problem. A film, regardless of how different it may be from the source material, has to stand on it's own as a good movie. That's the way all movies should be. Can it be a crappy adaptation but a good movie? Sure.

A film is a film. And a book is a book. They have to be good or bad as a separate entity.
Old 12-18-12, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

This looks solid, but very commonplace. That's what I'm expecting.
Old 12-18-12, 02:09 PM

That's a pretty accurate description. ^^^

I will say I thought the car chase was really well done.
Old 12-18-12, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
Not quite, but close enough. 6'5 and his weight varies between 215-250. You can also throw in the blue eyes, and blonde buzzcut as well. One of the worst miscasts on a physical level I've ever seen. Reacher is a basically a goliath and relies a lot on brute strength and force.

???

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.