Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Amazing Spider-Man (Webb, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Amazing Spider-Man (Webb, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
0.83%
10.00%
34.17%
22.50%
11.67%
6.67%
5.00%
1.67%
0.83%
0%
0%
With great power comes me not seeing Spider-Man 4!
6.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

The Amazing Spider-Man (Webb, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-12, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Amazing Spider-Man (Webb, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

And why are we talking crap about Raimi's Spiderman movies? It sounds an awful lot like we're hoping the new one is good so let's point out every single flaw from the previous ones to make us feel better about the crap we'll soon be seeing.
Old 07-02-12, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spider-Man 3 aside, in reality I didnt really have a problem with how Raimi approached the first 2 movies.

Its just that Tobey and Dunst were just awful, awful as Peter and Mary-Jane. Bad acting and NO chemistry. Sorry, but for me, the most important aspect of Spider-Man is Peter Parker and his interactions with his cast characters, most importantly Mary Jane.

Im glad Webb is starting with Gwen Stacy though. Emma Stone looks like she was ripped straight out of one of the original comic panels featuring her, and she and Garfield seem to already have leagues better chemistry than Tobey and Dunst ever did.
Old 07-02-12, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Just got back from a screening. I liked it, it was certainly better than the last Spider-Man film. On par with the first two.

To be honest, I think from a physical standpoint Tobey Maguire is a much more convincing Peter Parker than Andrew Garfield. I thought Garfield had the mannerisms and body language of Peter Parker, but he's too much of a pretty boy to sell the "dorky nerd" aspect. Maguire has that.

I'm glad the action didn't have a bunch of 1st person views as one trailer made it seem. The action was pretty solid and the 3D was good. Reminded me of Prometheus' 3D in that it was subtle, more about giving you the sense of depth rather than having stuff thrown at you.

The script was a little too family friendly. Very corny lines at times.

Finally, I was really annoyed how Dr. Connors was able to build, by himself, a fully functioning, high tech lab in the fucking sewer...a day after he got fired by his boss. Whatever, I guess.

Anyway as stated before, I certainly think it's as good as any of the Maguire films, but I wouldn't feel comfortable saying it's significantly better than them. If we're comparing superhero movies I liked The Avengers a lot more.

Grade: B
Old 07-03-12, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"The Amazing Spider-Man" had a decent first act, a bit slow, ok mid-section, but that third act was so choppy and had terrible flow and momentum.

The script is a bit of a mess with getting from one action set piece to the next one with very little "webbing" to connect the scenes together. The script also leaves some dangling plotlines to be addressed in sequels, I guess. The after-the-first-end-credits-section scene was sort of lame, but at least you don't have to wait to the very end (no scene at the very end). Yes, it's a little on the emo side when it comes to Peter's emotions in spots.

I did appreciate the action camerawork, and the use of real stuntmen to do some of the web-swinging, though later on, it's a lot of CGI during the fight scenes between Spider-Man and the Lizard. Marc Webb's direction is not quite there for a full-blown film, and I wasn't as immersed with the 3D, as the depth of field seemed very deep with the camera lens choices, makes for somewhat boring movie-making.

I give it 2.66 stars or a grade of C+/B-, probably sleep on it for a final grade,
Old 07-03-12, 03:35 AM

Just came back.

Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone so thoroughly own this movie. By that virtue alone this is better than all of Raimi's films.
Old 07-03-12, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you think of Spider-man 3 as a comedy, it's a great movie. I was laughing so fucking hard during the movie, and everyone in the theater was staring at me.

I mean seriously, there's no way in hell they did any of that movie with any seriousness.

Oh, and the broadway play is fucking great. Go see it if you have the chance.

Last edited by Superboy; 07-03-12 at 05:31 AM.
Old 07-03-12, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Seeing this Saturday afternoon for free with the Sony Movie Cash coupon from the Spiderman BD I bought.

I know the origin story is tired, but for the record I thought the 4 1/2 minute trailer I saw looked good.

hey, can't beat seeing it for free?
Old 07-03-12, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Taking the kids, 10 and 7 to see this thing.

So I ask:

Does Lizard have any scenes where he pops out and scares us?
Old 07-03-12, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Yes (but you should only be scared if you're a kid)
Old 07-03-12, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Went to a midnight screening (first time) and enjoyed the film. For those asking about a post credits scene, it actually appears a minute or so into the closing credits. After that, there's nothing else. There was a collective groan from the audience last night who stayed to the very last credit hoping for something more.
Old 07-03-12, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
According to some people over on the CBR forums, yes there is.

I can't confirm it, but this is what they said:

Spoiler:
A figure hidden in shadow talks. All that can be seen of him is his cornrow haircut. Anyone that reads the comics will instantly recognize it as Norman Osborn. Apparently he is dying and is trying to find something that will save him. Ten bucks says it will be the Goblin formula... and Green Goblin will be the next villain.
Spoiler:
I didn't see any cornrows. But it does sound like Osborn.

Peter goes to a Science High School. Is Flash Thompson really a science type? Would have been better just to have him at a regular school. It sure seemed like it was.
Old 07-03-12, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts

We have schools where its one campus but split into regular and AP levels. Not just classes, but the actual school is divided.
Old 07-03-12, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There was a big sign outside of the school that said it was a science school.
Old 07-03-12, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw it last night with my friends. I was just OK with it. I liked the action sequences better in this one, I think Spidey was more spider-y when fighting. But it just didn't have that "hero moment" for me. Something along the lines of:

Superman the movie: "You've got me? who's got you?"
Batman: "I'm Batman"
Avengers: "I'm always angry"

In the same way that Green Lantern never had a similar moment.

I loved Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy. I'm really not as familiar with the Spiderman lore than most people here.
Spoiler:
Captain Stacy's death was a surprise for me.
Old 07-03-12, 01:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
Taking the kids, 10 and 7 to see this thing.

So I ask:

Does Lizard have any scenes where he pops out and scares us?
I'm in now way trying to sound like an ass and am not directly aiming this at you but....they're 10 and 7.

How scared do kids get nowadays? Seems like kids are becoming "weaker" in a way.
Old 07-03-12, 01:29 PM

lol at how divided the site reviews are.

This movie has such a better emotional core, acting and action than any of Raimi's movies. The only thing I would put over this movie from Raimi's is the depiction of Doc Ock from SM2, obviously a better villain. Otherwise everything about this slays those other ones.
Old 07-03-12, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I'm in now way trying to sound like an ass and am not directly aiming this at you but....they're 10 and 7.

How scared do kids get nowadays? Seems like kids are becoming "weaker" in a way.
7 is still pretty young(I have one turning 6 and another turning 8 soon). That's second grade. 10 is different and probably depends on the child. I saw Gremlins at 9, when it came out, and it freaked me the fuck out for weeks.
Old 07-03-12, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
7 is still pretty young(I have one turning 6 and another turning 8 soon). That's second grade. 10 is different and probably depends on the child. I saw Gremlins at 9, when it came out, and it freaked me the fuck out for weeks.
I saw Alien at 9 and I still look away at the first face hugger scene.
Old 07-03-12, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Saw it this morning and it is my favorite of the Spiderman flicks. Part 2 was the best, but this one is much better. Tone, acting, and characterizations. In fact, this one took bits and pieces of part 2 and made it its own. Garfield is nowhere near the pussy that Toby was and Emma is hot. Great casting all the way around.

I fucked up and saw it in 2-D, though. I didn't know the film was actually shot in 3-D, so I dropped the ball on that one.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 07-03-12 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-03-12, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Went to a midnight screening (first time) and enjoyed the film. For those asking about a post credits scene, it actually appears a minute or so into the closing credits. After that, there's nothing else. There was a collective groan from the audience last night who stayed to the very last credit hoping for something more.
What was the scene?
Old 07-03-12, 04:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
What was the scene?
Spoiler:
From Wikipedia:In a scene during the end credits, Connors, in a prison cell, appears to speak with a man he knows who moments later is no longer there.

So....who was the mystery man?
Old 07-03-12, 04:36 PM

Those that have seen it...would you take a 5 year old? He did fine with Avengers, although I covered covered his eyes on a couple scenes.
Old 07-03-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rlu929s
Those that have seen it...would you take a 5 year old?

Nope. It's a much darker flick.
Old 07-03-12, 04:45 PM

Kind of what I thought, but wanted to make sure....Thanks!
Old 07-03-12, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

We saw it today and thoroughly enjoyed it. As far as the hero moment goes I don't think that there was one particular moment but then again how many teenage characters would give us that type of moment? I thought that the movie was very emotional though and I'm looking forward to the next one and seeing where they go from here.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.