Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017, D: Besson) S: DeHaan, Delevingne

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017, D: Besson) S: DeHaan, Delevingne

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-17, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,823 Likes on 1,224 Posts
Re: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017, D: Besson) S: DeHaan, Deleving

Oh, but it is gorgeous, just so beautiful and sci-fi cool. I kinda really dug it, though I'll probably agree with every criticism.

It's a Sofia Coppola space movie.
Old 08-06-17, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 279 Likes on 233 Posts
Re: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017, D: Besson) S: DeHaan, Deleving

My Dad saw it last Sunday after I had left (we meant to see it together while I was visiting but the theater screwed up the time so we both saw War For The Planet Of The Apes instead) and really enjoyed.

I still think the film will eventually break even or turn a profit when it hits streaming/home video/cable especially since it will look stunning even on my inexpensive 4K tv and its not losing as much of its visual pizzaz when viewed on a much smaller screen will be a big factor in keeping the film alive for years to come.
Old 08-07-17, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

^^ Yeah, I'm 90% sure I'll blind buy this for my 4K projector just because of the visuals.
Old 08-07-17, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
^^ Yeah, I'm 90% sure I'll blind buy this for my 4K projector just because of the visuals.
Just curious, because I hear this all the time about visually arresting bad movies. Why?? Do you watch it in the background?
Old 08-07-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts

Never have i disliked heroes more than I did in this film. Theyre needlessly cruel to other characters and theres nothing unique about them. Theres some really cool stuff in this film but the leads bury it.
Old 08-07-17, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Just curious, because I hear this all the time about visually arresting bad movies. Why?? Do you watch it in the background?
I want to see the limits - visually - of a system I put together. I've watched plenty of "bad" movies and while this one is being panned by almost everyone, at least I can experience it in 4K and 7.2.2 and judge for myself.

Hell, if I sell the online VUDU code, I'll get 1/4 of my purchase price back too
Old 11-09-17, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Watched this and it was entertaining. It's sheer eye-candy from beginning to end. I will probably end up getting the graphic novels and maybe the art of the film book for Christmas. The Blu-ray and UHD should be reference demo discs for sure. Loved the opening and Rhianna number.
Old 11-10-17, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

The movie is hugely flawed but there's more than enough entertainment value in it to make it worth while.
Old 11-20-17, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought the movie could have done a better job of exploring the many worlds and species on the space station beyond using them as background for a chase sequence. But aside from that it was enjoyable, warts and all.
Old 11-23-17, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

My impressions of the movie pretty much mirror everyone else's. I've usually been satisfied with anything from Luc Besson, but I watch this and imagine his directing experience from the chair can be summed up as him giving many heavy sighs and saying "fuck it". Great visuals, bad acting, boring pacing... but Lord help me, there is something so hot about Cara Delevigne. It's sad when the only thing one can take away from a multi-million-dollar sci-fi movie is that the lead could probably suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.

Last edited by The Infidel; 11-23-17 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-25-17, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I saw this earlier in the week. It starts off strong, right up until the end of the heist with the box on the hand. From then on, it goes downhill fast. The movie looks fantastic, but the two leads are dull with Dehan really being a piss poor choice for the lead actor. It felt like it was trying too hard to follow the vein of the Fifth Element as a sci fi opera comedy. Problem was the comedy in it isnt good. I always hope for thr best with Besson movies, but this was a huge let down.
Old 11-26-17, 03:09 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

DeHaan is just awful, and his performance in this was no exception. Fun movie, but he's just so fucking bad. God his voice is annoying
Old 11-26-17, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
DeHaan is just awful, and his performance in this was no exception. Fun movie, but he's just so fucking bad. God his voice is annoying
He has the voice of an adolescent boy trying to make his voice sound deep.
Old 11-26-17, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought he sounded like Keanu Reeves, so I give him a pass.
Old 11-26-17, 09:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I thought he sounded like Keanu Reeves, so I give him a pass.
You know Blu...I’ve been following your tastes as of late. They haven’t really panned out. Hrmmmm. You’re either an evil genius or a man who it doesn’t take a lot to please.
Old 11-26-17, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
You know Blu...I’ve been following your tastes as of late. They haven’t really panned out. Hrmmmm. You’re either an evil genius or a man who it doesn’t take a lot to please.

Depends on my moods. I like a lot of "crap" with my general tastes. Sometimes style over substance takes the front seat.
Old 11-30-17, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
He has the voice of an adolescent boy trying to make his voice sound deep.....
....As Keanu doing his surfer dude voice.

Should have cut his role and made the woman the lead and have it be about her trying to save the space station and the Aliens.

great visuals but fifth did all of this so much better and funnier and all the characters were so much more interesting.
Old 12-06-17, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yikes, this one was pretty bad. It's a shame too, because with the right actors they might have had a much better movie. The lead characters had no chemistry and were absolutely boring to watch.

Did anyone else think the last act of the movie could make a cool Mass Effect movie?
Old 12-06-17, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I saw this theatrically and thought it was OK. Watched it again on Blu Ray. Shouldn't have. It was much worse second time around. Breaks my heart since 5th Element is my favorite movie. Oh well.
Old 12-06-17, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the concept of storyline, but I don't like the main characters. I don't care for the guy trying to hit on his comrade - it's kind of stupid...
Old 12-07-17, 07:04 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
He has the voice of an adolescent boy trying to make his voice sound deep.
That is 100% accurate. Thank you for articulating what I could not.
Old 12-30-17, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Didn't even realize this was a Luc Besson movie until the extras. But as soon as I started watching it I equated it to Fifth Element with it's acid trippy storytelling.

Site and sound A+. Story C+. Probably higher if you smoke before you see it.

Cara Delevingne is a cutie in a retro way. Big eyebrows, small tits, normal looking body.
Old 12-30-17, 08:55 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Didn't even realize this was a Luc Besson movie until the extras. But as soon as I started watching it I equated it to Fifth Element with it's acid trippy storytelling.

Site and sound A+. Story C+. Probably higher if you smoke before you see it.

Cara Delevingne is a cutie in a retro way. Big eyebrows, small tits, normal looking body.
It’s pure eye candy, and I mean that in the most positive way possible. Kinda meanders here and there plotwise, so that’s probably where the drugs can help. I first saw this as a rental on VUDU in HDX, and bought and watched the 4K Blu ray last night/early am, and it makes an already gorgeous movie even better.

And Cara Delevingne is gorgeous, her proportions are perfect for her body type. And he abs at tight but not freakish. The first shot of her, in that bikini no less

Rihanna as Bubble was easy on the eyes too.

I really hope my wife doesn’t lurk on here.
Old 12-30-17, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think Cara is way hotter than her sister, Poppy, who is in Kingsman 2.
Old 12-30-17, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I think Cara is way hotter than her sister, Poppy, who is in Kingsman 2.
I dont think many people would argue with that point.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.