Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014, Gunn) S: Pratt, Zaldana, Bautista, Cooper, Diesel

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014, Gunn) S: Pratt, Zaldana, Bautista, Cooper, Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-14, 09:53 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014, Gunn) S: Pratt, Zaldana, Bautista, Gillan, Cooper

Everyone woman I know who went to see that for THOSE reasons, hated it... because that wasn't what the movie was.
Old 02-19-14, 09:54 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014, Gunn) S: Pratt, Zaldana, Bautista, Gillan, Cooper

It's bound to do better than any Guillermo Del Toro movie.
Old 02-19-14, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Soderbergh has a built-in audience.

Riiiiiiiiight.

DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Pacific Rim made $400m worldwide. A decent comparison here is Captain Amurrica, which made $370m worldwide.
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brack
Now you're just being mean.
Old 02-19-14, 09:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Why not? Plenty of women saw The Avengers.
Can't really compare this to The Avengers because that was essentially a sequel with a number of known characters in it. This is a brand-new franchise.
Old 02-19-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
Can't really compare this to The Avengers because that was essentially a sequel with a number of known characters in it. This is a brand-new franchise.
Careful there - you're gonna get those that say:

Hulk
Captain America
Thor
Iron Man

were not well known to the average folk unlike GOTG who have been rocking and rolling since '75.

Old 02-19-14, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Only Hulk, Captain America and Iron Man definitely were well known. The only one that was really lesser known was Thor.
Old 02-19-14, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
Only Hulk, Captain America and Iron Man definitely were well known. The only one that was really lesser known was Thor.
And my point is that NO ONE knows who GOTG are outside of nerdom.
Old 02-19-14, 10:06 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Everyone woman I know who went to see that for THOSE reasons, hated it... because that wasn't what the movie was.
For sure.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Careful there - you're gonna get those that say:

Hulk
Captain America
Thor
Iron Man

were not well known to the average folk unlike GOTG who have been rocking and rolling since '75.

EDIT: 2008 for this incarnation of the group.

The Hulk is the only big pop culture one out of the Avengers. The others were shit compared to how many people know of The Hulk.
Old 02-19-14, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And my point is that NO ONE knows who GOTG are outside of nerdom.
And I agree with you there. I'd never heard of them until the movie was being made, and then I was wondering why Kratos was in a movie.
Old 02-19-14, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

I'm just pointing out that there were plenty of objections and naysayers about The Avengers, despite the decent movies leading up to it. Now Marvel has firmly established themselves as the makers of quality movies and might get a big turnout on name alone.

People go and see Pixar movies based on new properties all the time not only because they are good for families but because that Pixar logo goes a long way. I think the Marvel movie logo is becoming a pretty big deal too.

I don't think it'll do a crazy amount of business but I think it will be a solid performer. I just don't get the "no one knows who these characters are so they won't go" mentality. Plenty of new properties do just fine. This one is building on a great track record from the studio, an unusual premise and a fair amount of buzz. Those things don't read as "death at the box office" to me.

Last edited by Draven; 02-19-14 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-19-14, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Draven
I'm just pointing out that there was plenty of objections and naysayers about The Avengers, despite the decent movies leading up to it. Now Marvel has firmly established themselves as the makers of quality movies and might get a big turnout on name alone.

People go and see Pixar movies based on new properties all the time not only because they are good for families but because that Pixar logo goes a long way. I think the Marvel movie logo is becoming a pretty big deal too.

I don't think it'll do a crazy amount of business but I think it will be a solid performer. I just don't get the "no one knows who these characters are so they won't go" mentality. Plenty of new properties do just fine. This one is building on a great track record from the studio, an unusual premise and a fair amount of buzz. Those things don't read as "death at the box office" to me.
Looks like Serenity, which didn't do gangbusters in theaters either.
Old 02-19-14, 10:15 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Well, I think the trailer is a good one because you have Wreck-It-Ralph introducing all of the characters for us, and a clear tone is set. But other than the Marvel logo at the beginning there's no clear connection to the MCU to draw in audience that may be interested in that aspect.
Old 02-19-14, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

As someone who is only vaguely familiar with the source material, I liked the trailer. Since they are aware no one really knows who these characters are outside of comic fans (and a small group of them at that) , they are just going with the "fun space adventure" approach. When your property isn't that well known, the best approach is to just try and make the best and most fun movie you can and it might work. It did with the first Iron Man.

I will say I got something of an A-Team vibe from their introduction. Hope it fares better than that one.
Old 02-19-14, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Riiiiiiiiight.

I hope you guys weren't taking me seriously. Magic Mike works better for the "sexy bod" argument because that movie was sexualized, whereas the Avengers featured hot guys, but the film wasn't really sexual in any way. Magic Mike was about guys taking their clothes off, Avengers was about heroes fighting aliens. People went to see The Avengers because it was about heroes fighting aliens, not because those heroes happened to be hot.

Magic Mike made money because it looked like a fun movie, and had guys like Channing Tatum and (especially) Matthew McConaughey that have rom-com cred. Hot bodies just aren't enough, otherwise Spring Breakers, Striptease, and Showgirls would have made money.

Well, I think the trailer is a good one because you have Wreck-It-Ralph introducing all of the characters for us, and a clear tone is set. But other than the Marvel logo at the beginning there's no clear connection to the MCU to draw in audience that may be interested in that aspect.
Agreed, I thought it was a pretty good intro to the characters and set the tone as a fun summer adventure. I felt like the "Star Lord? Who" and "What a bunch of a-holes" jokes were directed right at all of us who have been pointing out that nobody knows who these characters are.
Old 02-19-14, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Someone mentioned that this has a Serenity/Firefly vibe. I'd say so and a Dr. Who vibe, too.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 02-19-14 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-19-14, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have read GotG comics in the past and i enjoyed the read. I always had a greater interest in comics that were more Cosmic in scale and those all out battles to save the universe were always winners for me. Thanos has always been a favorite character of mine, right back to his appearance sin Captain marvel and the Thanos Quest/Infinity Gauntlet/Et al series. So i am really interested to see how this ties in with him and how much involvement he has in the movie.

The trailer left me a little under whelmed, and that music (especially at the end when the name comes up) felt just so out of place. However, i see how the marketing people are trying to play this and i have to admit it takes some balls. After reading everything about the movie it seemed clear that there was going to be a strong element of humor in the movie and this comes across in the trailer. I have had a strong sense that this movie was going to be a massive hit and i think by the time we get to trailer 3 the audience will have been completely sold on this. It will keep on in the same vein as the Iron Man movies by combining action with humor and a solid cast and crew to make it all come together. Marvel are not so much taking risks as being very smart in how they proceed from movie to movie. They believe in their characters and properties and they want the right people to translate them to the big screen. Thats why they are going from strength to strength and why DC continues to underwhelm. I mean i saw the picture a couple of days ago of Gal Gadot flexing her bicep and it was pathetic. She is totally wrong for the character.
Old 02-19-14, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well WB doesn't have a studio like Marvel. There is no DC studio like Marvel. Pixar and Marvel create things to appease themselves as a creative entity that also has financial progression for future developments... It all leads to making the parent company some solid bank. DC doesn't have that. There is no proper DC studio. It's WB owning a property to make some nice cash with. They were lucky to have Nolan and to please him cuz he made them bank. They let him total control, as whatever limits that was, cuz he made them money.
Old 02-19-14, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm curious if we get an Avengers cameo to make the connection.

Stark in his MK39 Gemini suit?
Thor?
Old 02-19-14, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

There's still a ton of marketing left to do, but I was really surprised by the tone of that trailer. I guess with Reilly and Pratt as the focus (and with the ridiculousness of the Groot and Rocket pair), they wanted to do a more comedic trailer, but I was expecting more action.
Old 02-19-14, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I would suggest the Annihilation omnibus that comes out in May, which is the precursor to the book linked above and reintroduced Star Lord, this incarnation of Drax, etc to the stage. Unfortunately you don't meet Rocket and Groot until the follow up series, Annihilation: Conquest.
Old 02-19-14, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

2 minutes and 31 seconds > 15 seconds or is my math that far off?
I had only seen the 15 second clip (posted here) when I posted that...I agree the full trailer makes the movie look like a lot of fun.
Old 02-19-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Good breakdown of the group and the trailer - http://io9.com/everything-you-need-t...the-1525743960
Old 02-19-14, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
I would suggest the Annihilation omnibus that comes out in May, which is the precursor to the book linked above and reintroduced Star Lord, this incarnation of Drax, etc to the stage. Unfortunately you don't meet Rocket and Groot until the follow up series, Annihilation: Conquest.
Supposedly the Abnet and Lanning stuff is really good.

Anyway, not a real impressive trailer, I'm not going to lie, kind of looks like an over-CG fear full of sitcom jokes from here. Kind of an odd property for Marvel to have picked to do next, to be honest, it doesn't have a lot of name recognition.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.