Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014, Gunn) S: Pratt, Zaldana, Bautista, Cooper, Diesel

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014, Gunn) S: Pratt, Zaldana, Bautista, Cooper, Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-14, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014, Gunn) S: Pratt, Zaldana, Bautista, Gillan, Cooper

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Nice.

Been there, done that... How though?
First off, the lead human (particularly the bit in the trailer with his chosen name) reminded me of Flynn Rider from Tangled as well as every other smartass-but-kind-of-a-dumbass character to grace the silver screen (another example would be Treat Williams in Deep Rising or even Nathan Fillion in Firefly/Serenity). Also, the whole "rowdy band of misfits" trope is nothing new or even remotely unique. Honestly, even with a talking Raccoon with a penchant for violence (there are plenty such creatures in sci-fi and fantasy), this movie brings nothing new to the table.

Funny enough, a friend of mine compared it to Firefly the other day which only added to it seeming derivative to me. That said, I think that last comparison is unfair on my part because I assume GOTG is older than that show.
Old 02-22-14, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014, Gunn) S: Pratt, Zaldana, Bautista, Gillan, Cooper

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Oh, I don't mind some speculation. For example, looking at your posts, I could try and speculate how long until you piss everyone off and get run out of here on a rail.

Also based on your posting history, I could speculate that you are between 9 and 14 years old.

See how much fun speculation is?
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Funny enough, a friend of mine compared it to Firefly the other day which only added to it seeming derivative to me. That said, I think that last comparison is unfair on my part because I assume GOTG is older than that show.
The name Guardians of the Galaxy is older than Firefly, but this particular version of the team originated in 2008, and has little in common with the original Guardians. Each of the characters that comprise this group existed prior to the team forming in 2008, but many of them were relegated to dark corners of the Marvel Universe and not often seen.
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually, this iteration of GotG is from 2008, so not older than Firefly.
Old 02-22-14, 03:58 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-22-14, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
The name Guardians of the Galaxy is older than Firefly, but this particular version of the team originated in 2008, and has little in common with the original Guardians. Each of the characters that comprise this group existed prior to the team forming in 2008, but many of them were relegated to dark corners of the Marvel Universe and not often seen.
Actually, this iteration of GotG is from 2008, so not older than Firefly.
Okay so then "been there, done that" and derivative of properties like Firefly are apt assumptions. Thanks.

And before anyone gets pissy, I don't mean it to insult any of the fans of GotG or those anticipating this flick. I'm just expressing the impression the trailer gave me (being a complete novice to the comic book and characters therein).
Old 02-22-14, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, I don't mind some speculation. For example, looking at your posts, I could try and speculate how long until you piss everyone off and get run out of here on a rail.

Also based on your posting history, I could speculate that you are between 9 and 14 years old.

See how much fun speculation is?
Hit a nerve did I?
Old 02-22-14, 10:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeSkip
Hit a nerve did I?
If you act like a smartass you're going to get smartass responses.
Old 02-23-14, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Some new footage of Rocket Racoon, looks like they're really developing his love of snacks:
Spoiler:

Old 02-23-14, 03:42 PM

Maybe he'll invite his cousins from The Great Outdoors. Those were some funny critters.
Old 02-25-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/310...-rocket-thanos

ollowing on from the "Guardians of the Galaxy" trailer reveal last week, the film's director James Gunn has talked some more about that wacky Marvel sci-fi feature hitting in August.

Specifically he touched upon the two CG characters starting with Bradley Cooper's Rocket Raccoon. He tells Pointless Podcast:

"Rocket is a result of countless and cruel, illegal genetic experiments, where he's been turned--from an innocent little creature, where he has an IQ of three, and he becomes this thing that's completely alone; this gnarled little beast... he's pretty sad."

There's also the walking tree Groot who can only say one line and is voiced by Vin Diesel. Talking about Diesel's performance, Gunn says:

"All of the 'I am Groots' that were earlier voices didn't sound very good at all, they sounded like sh#t. It just didn't work. Then Vin Diesel came in and, in one day, lied down all these 'I am Groot' tracks, and he's a perfectionist. He made me explain to him exactly what (Groot) was saying (before each delivery)."

Another topic is Thanos, the cosmic villain glimpsed in the mid-credits in "The Avengers". 'Guardians' includes several links to the character from his daughter Nebula (Karen Gillan) to The Collector (Benicio del Toro) who is collecting the various stones of the Infinity Gauntlet. Asked about adapting the 'Infinity Gauntlet' limited series from the comics, Gunn tells Pointless Podcast:

"Here's the thing, truthfully the Marvel Cinematic Universe takes out of both the 616 and Ultimate Marvel Comics universe, and then they recreate some elements themselves. What Thanos wants in the comics is not necessarily what Thanos wants in the movies; we don't know yet."

Finally, Gunn says filming on the movie was much more pleasant than his previous films "Slither" and "Super" as they had enough time to do some great shots of which he's proud:

"There's one shot that I'm thinking of; the characters are imprisoned early on in the movie and there's this overhead shot of Peter Quill and he's sleeping on the floor in what we call the Locked Up Abroad shot.

It's Quill surrounded on the floor with all these different aliens, disgusting, they're all sleeping, packed together like sardines. It was just a really beautiful shot and we have it overhead completely with the camera slightly revolving as he's sitting there wide awake and all these gross aliens are asleep around him.

I was able to take time and compose the shot in the same way you would design a painting, and changing little guys. It wasn't like it took an extraordinary time to do it, but we took some time at doing and that was something that I'd had really never been able to do in my entire career."
Old 02-25-14, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Not a DC movie? Check
No David Goyer writing credit? Check
Christopher Nolan isn't directing/producing? Check

This film is going to be great.
Old 02-25-14, 08:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Not a DC movie? Check
No David Goyer writing credit? Check
Christopher Nolan isn't directing/producing? Check

This film is going to be great.
Old 03-10-14, 10:56 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A friend of mine saw the new 300 flick. The GotG trailer was attached to it. From what he says, his audience enjoyed it a lot. Were pretty vocal about Rocket Raccoon. Mostly good with some comments about how weird a walking tree and raccoon shooting machine guns is.
Old 03-10-14, 10:57 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

That's a surprisingly verbose audience.
Old 03-10-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bootsy
Is the film titled Man of Steel? No? Already a better film!
Old 03-18-14, 12:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So do we know if we're getting anything of substance tonight on the Marvel t.v. special? Or just a bunch of fluff?
Old 04-04-14, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Possible villain spoiler

Spoiler:
A Business Week article about Kevin Feige includes a little exchange between Feige and director James Gunn, which reveals a little bit about the film's apparently secret villain:

Gunn freezes a frame of an imposing-looking villain any serious comic book fan would recognize instantly. He sits on a rocket-powered throne. Feige sees something on the screen that he doesn't like. The evildoer needs to be farther away in the frame so he looks more imperious, he says.

"I don't know," says Gunn. "I think it's going to look cool, man."

"You just don't want him to feel petty in that way," Feige says. "I think it's a fine line."

"How do you think it comes off as petty here?" Gunn says.

"He's so damn close," Feige says.

"Yeah," concedes Gunn. "I think I'm going to have him floating in space."

Feige is concerned about the throne, too. He points at the base. "Those don't need to be rockets," he says. "Maybe gravity disks?" Feige says he'll check back later.

In the hallway he extracts a pledge not to name the bad guy. "That could not be a bigger spoiler," Feige says.

Spoiler:
Some are speculating this could be Thanos. That would make the most sense.
Old 04-04-14, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Possible villain spoiler

[/spoiler]

Spoiler:
Some are speculating this could be Thanos. That would make the most sense.
Spoiler:
i'd say it most definitely is, especially with the whole rocket-powered throne
Old 04-04-14, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by bootsy
To his credit, many DC movies have been pretty awful and Goyer is a terrible writer. I have no qualms against Nolan though, find his movies entertaining and they all maintain a certain level of quality - when he's director at least.
Old 04-05-14, 04:54 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Curious what crowd reactions were like to the trailer that played before TWS. My crowd didn't really react to it at all. It was an early morning screening though.
Old 04-05-14, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk God

my buddy, who is not a comic book fan (well, was in the past), but likes the comic movies, absolutely loves that trailer. in fact, he said he's looking forward to it more than any movie in recent history.
Old 04-05-14, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My crowd liked it. Kids thought Rocket was cool.
Old 04-05-14, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Curious what crowd reactions were like to the trailer that played before TWS. My crowd didn't really react to it at all. It was an early morning screening though.
My crowd had a non reaction to it also and this screening was at noon.
Old 04-05-14, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My friend is convinced this will suck.

I told him he's factually wrong.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.