Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Must have film related books

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Must have film related books

Old 02-20-13, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Must have film related books

I have Galbriath and Ryfle's books, I'm not so lucky to own the others.
Old 02-20-13, 12:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone here mention a book about the making of King Kong, the original. All I remember is it was pretty fucking definitive w/ the material gathered for it. Anyone know which one it was? I think the book is OOP, sadly.
Old 04-09-13, 07:17 AM
Banned

About a month ago I bought The African Queen on BD. And from the documentary or possibly my own personal searching of it's filmmaking, it led me to a book by Hepburn.

It's OOP from what I can see.
Old 04-25-13, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the hardcover book The Making of King Kong: The Story Behind a Film Classic. Their are a quite a few copies on Amazon so it isn't hard to find. I have the 3 Cult Movie Danny Peary books mentioned as well as another called Cult Movie Stars.

Some other good movie reference books in my collection are:
Filmmaking on the Fringe
Cult Flicks & Trash Pics
The Horror Encyclopedia
Nightmare Theater
Splatter Movies
The Psychotronic Film Guide
Asian Cult Cinema
Hong Kong Babylon
Sex & Zen and a Bullet in the Head
The Fabulous Fantasy Films
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein Script
Rock & Roll the Movies
Making of Citizen Kane

I have more but that all I remember off the top of my head.
Old 04-26-13, 04:07 AM
Banned

How many pages is it and which version do you have? I see one with an image of Kong, paperback from what i can see, and the other with an illustrated image of him fighting some kind of serpent. I'm assuming the latter is the image used for HC only?
Old 04-26-13, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is the one I have or had as I might have sold it.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Making-Kin...g+of+king+kong

Last night their were a bunch of copies so it might have more than one selling page. Amazon is bad about having multiple selling pages for the same item.
Old 04-27-13, 11:41 AM

The new William Freidkin book is amazing. So many great stories about his movies with little personal backstory. I wish more actors, directors, etc would write a book like this.
The following users liked this post:
Hubbub (10-16-21)
Old 04-27-13, 12:30 PM
En vacance

Something to do with Death-
Biography of Sergio Leone
Old 04-27-13, 12:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by godzilla rules
The new William Freidkin book is amazing. So many great stories about his movies with little personal backstory. I wish more actors, directors, etc would write a book like this.
For those of you interested, it is called The Friedkin Connection: A Memoir. I didn't know he released this book. I'm so game to read what he has to say.

When the hell do we get Sorcerer?! I'm still dreading to see what "recolored" meant from his tweet.
Old 04-27-13, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
For those of you interested, it is called The Friedkin Connection: A Memoir. I didn't know he released this book. I'm so game to read what he has to say.

When the hell do we get Sorcerer?! I'm still dreading to see what "recolored" meant from his tweet.
Sounds fantastic. Gonna buy the shit out of that right now.
Old 04-27-13, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
One of my favorite writers is Danny Peary...he always finds something new and interesting to say about films. There are 4 books he has written that i constantly re-read over the years...

This book is almost like a bible for me...I just wish he would update it one day as it is over 25 years old.

And his 3 books on Cult Films...again, I wish he would have added some more volumes as the last one was written in 1989:

And I'd throw in ALTERNATE OSCARS. It only goes to 1991 (not a problem in 1993), but the essaies are very insightful and brief enough to enjoy in a quick sit. I wish Peary would do an updated version (and CULT MOVIES 4), but there's a lot to enjoy as is.
Old 07-13-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts

Considering checking out some Pauline Kael books but I guess it would make more sense to see the movies she writes about before reading the reviews.
Old 07-13-13, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Someone here mention a book about the making of King Kong, the original. All I remember is it was pretty fucking definitive w/ the material gathered for it. Anyone know which one it was? I think the book is OOP, sadly.
Are you referring to the Making of King Kong by Orville Goldner and George Turner? Terrific book for an original Kong enthusiast. I have an early edition copy in large size paperback format. The book was originally written by just one of the two men. I think it was Goldner, but I don't recall. I don't have access to my library right now to check it out. A later edition was expanded and is co-authored.
Old 07-13-13, 06:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jon2
Are you referring to the Making of King Kong by Orville Goldner and George Turner? Terrific book for an original Kong enthusiast. I have an early edition copy in large size paperback format. The book was originally written by just one of the two men. I think it was Goldner, but I don't recall. I don't have access to my library right now to check it out. A later edition was expanded and is co-authored.
I was.

I love seeing this thread of mine get a bump. Always fun to see what other books people bring up.
Old 07-13-13, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Didn't see anyone mention this one yet

Great book that uses the context of the 1968 AA Best Picture nominees to explore the birth of the new Hollywood (auteurs, more adult subject matter, rising stars, etc) and the death of the old Hollywood (bloated big budget studio driven films with established stars).
These five films cover the full spectrum in every possible way.
Picked this up cheap last year and found it absolutely fascinating, despite only being interested in one of the five films.
And in light of Lucas and Spielberg's recent prognostication on the impending implosion- it gains even more relevance. It really does feel like we are in a similar point in time where the established MO's aren't going to keep cutting it much longer.

BTW, I've owned that Making Of Kong book since I was 10 years old. It was a gold mine of rare, never before seen photos from the film when every other book you would find used the same couple dozen oft seen publicity stills over and over. In those long ago pre VCR days, this kind of book was manna from heaven.
Old 07-13-13, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Ray Harryhausen: an Animated Life.
Film Fantasy Scrapbook
Old 11-03-13, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

Well, it's not exactly a movie-making book (at least in the traditional sense), but I'm having a blast reading Raiders!, which is a fun non-fiction book about two boys in Missippi who decide at ages 10 and 11 to remake Raiders of the Lost Ark in 1982. These two amazing young men then set out to actually recreate the film themselves : every shot, every stunt, every set, every special effect. Despite having no experience with film-making and no money. It took them seven years. What a cool story and what a tribute to the ingenuity of youth and our universal love of cinema. It's a wel-written and entertaining book. I first heard about it recently when the producer of Napoleon Dynamite optioned the film rights. While I think it could make for an entertaining coming-of-age movie, it would require the full cooperation of both Spielberg and Lucas to make a movie of this book and I just don't see that fat slug Lucas being on board with the project so I seriously doubt a film version ever gets made.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YlhI15Bl9GM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-03-13, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

It's not the most in depth book or anything but You Must Remember This: The Warner Bros. Story is a pretty cool coffee table book that serves as a nice companion piece to the documentary of the same name from 2008.
Old 11-03-13, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a great read for anyone who is a big fan of the original film. Written by leatherface himself.

Old 11-03-13, 03:26 PM
Banned

I love GDT a lot. It is JAMMMED with as much materal as one could want out of those damn journals he has. I got this this past Tuesday and I love it. Even a small section on his Bleak House, his orgasmic nerd house of imagination. Talks about all his works, history of influences, Even a small bit on his At The Mountains of Madness. Oddly enough there is NOTHING about The Hobbit. I wonder if that's a whole publishing issue thing or whatever. Either way it's 262 pages of imagination essentially. Most of it is more for Pan's Labyrinth and the Hellboy films cuz it seems like he went crazy on designing on those. Not to say the others aren't in this but it seems he just went heavy into those for his journals. Pacific Rim isn't too much in this but I'd say that's more cuz there is also a cool book on that film's designs.

It's a book on the production and designs for the film. Which is pretty damn cool. 156 pages of awesome.

Boths book are pretty big, which is nice.

Yes. I love GDT. Now if only I could get his book on Hitchcock at much cheaper price. Damn thing is out of print. It would be interesting to read about Hitchcock in Spanish.
Old 11-03-13, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,171 Likes on 901 Posts

I love GDT a lot. It is JAMMMED with as much materal as one could want out of those damn journals he has. I got this this past Tuesday and I love it. Even a small section on his Bleak House, his orgasmic nerd house of imagination. Talks about all his works, history of influences, Even a small bit on his At The Mountains of Madness. Oddly enough there is NOTHING about The Hobbit. I wonder if that's a whole publishing issue thing or whatever. Either way it's 262 pages of imagination essentially. Most of it is more for Pan's Labyrinth and the Hellboy films cuz it seems like he went crazy on designing on those. Not to say the others aren't in this but it seems he just went heavy into those for his journals. Pacific Rim isn't too much in this but I'd say that's more cuz there is also a cool book on that film's designs.

It's a book on the production and designs for the film. Which is pretty damn cool. 156 pages of awesome.

Boths book are pretty big, which is nice.

Yes. I love GDT. Now if only I could get his book on Hitchcock at much cheaper price. Damn thing is out of print. It would be interesting to read about Hitchcock in Spanish.
Yep, that del Toro book is stellar. They show you more of the Bleak House than what was in Cronos, too.

I've got that Pacific Rim book on my wishlist.
Old 11-03-13, 04:10 PM
Banned

Yeah. That Bleak House is just amazing. I wonder if he finally got in that water in there. Damn. I'd love a tour of that place.
Old 11-03-13, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,171 Likes on 901 Posts

Yeah. That Bleak House is just amazing. I wonder if he finally got in that water in there. Damn. I'd love a tour of that place.
There's a picture of the rain room but I don't think he installed a sprinkler device like I had originally imagined. I think he installed a sound system that plays rain falling in a loop. I noticed he had satellite speakers in the room.

I also like how he had a custom H.P. Lovecraft life size statue of him guarding the "horror room."
Old 11-03-13, 04:20 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 08-20-14, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 438 Likes on 247 Posts

Leonard Maltin’s Movie Guide is ending publication after 45 years.

I have not bought or read it in years, but back when I was kid, it was my go to guide for films.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.