Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews
10.00%
10.95%
34.76%
14.76%
7.14%
9.52%
7.62%
0.95%
0%
2.38%
0%
Alien 5 Sucks!
1.90%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-12, 05:14 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Re: Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

They made the right choice.
Old 06-18-12, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
They made the right choice.
Personally I think they made the right choice as well, though I think the execution of that choice was lacking.
Old 06-18-12, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
The original script was exactly this, but then Lindelof was given the script and suggested the "in the Alien universe but not a direct prequel" approach as well as what a sequel could look like given that approach. If you just do a prequel that directly leads into Alien, no chance for a sequel. I think that's what Ridley and I'm sure the producers liked about the idea. I don't think it had to do with balls, I think it had to do with dollar signs.
Yep I agree, I meant they didn't have the balls because either way it wouldn't have been as big of a cash cow.
Old 06-18-12, 05:37 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The original script was exactly this, but then Lindelof was given the script and suggested the "in the Alien universe but not a direct prequel" approach as well as what a sequel could look like given that approach. If you just do a prequel that directly leads into Alien, no chance for a sequel. I think that's what Ridley and I'm sure the producers liked about the idea. I don't think it had to do with balls, I think it had to do with dollar signs.
It could have led directly into Alien by making the space jockey the same one the Nostromo finds, and still leave room for the sequel with Shaw and David's further adventures.
Old 06-18-12, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
It could have led directly into Alien by making the space jockey the same one the Nostromo finds, and still leave room for the sequel with Shaw and David's further adventures.
You're having a rational thought in a lindlelof universe. Does not work.
Old 06-18-12, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

It's always been about $$$$ sign; Ridley knows this, and the producers know this. Shit, Ridley IS a producer and Lindeloff is an Executive Producer, so don't know what the big deal was. That's also why Ridley said that the artist portion of himself will release deleted scenes or an extended cut of his film for that very reason.
Old 06-18-12, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

^ I have to say, it seems that Ridley has gotten to be more about the $$$ as his career has progressed. That might explain why some think there has been a drop in quality from him over the past twenty years.
Old 06-18-12, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
^ I have to say, it seems that Ridley has gotten to be more about the $$$ as his career has progressed. That might explain why some think there has been a drop in quality from him over the past twenty years.

Probably. He knows what's up, but plays coy. I understand. That's why they call it show BUSINESS and not show ART. I wouldn't go 20 years, but will say that it started with Gladiator, but stopped with Matchstick Men (which is an amazing film) and then resumed right after.
Old 06-18-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I don't care what universe they claim this movie to be in it is still an alien prequel. They should have cut through all the bullshit and just went for it. It would be like having a movie about a daycare that has Jason Voorhees as one of their kids and say that it is not a Friday the 13th prequel.
Old 06-19-12, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Actually we don't know if it's Earth. We're under assumption of it though.
It's fairly obvious that it is. No need for Scott & Co. to waste time stating the obvious when they already have a litany of audience complaints in other areas.
Old 06-19-12, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I started to read the whole thread but gave up ... so forgive me if my thoughts have been stated by somebody else already ... and I'll stick with things I haven't really seen yet.

Why are you all convinced the Engineers were trying to destroy humanity? What if the awakened Engineer was trying to save humanity by attacking the group to PREVENT them from returning to Earth with the black goo? He wakes up, sees humans and thinks "Oh, hell naw!" and goes all Will Smith on their asses.

The "proto-xeno" many have referred to is NOT the first xenomorph ... look at the mural in the chamber and you will see what is quite obviously a queen xenomorph. For this reason, I tend to agree with the poster who theorized the black goo came from the xenomorph, not the other way around.

The birth of the so-called "proto-xeno" makes no sense ... the goo (and xenomorph DNA from the prior films) combines with the host DNA and takes on some of the host's characteristics. It was clearly spelled out early on the Engineers' "exo-skeleton" was NOT an exo-skeleton but rather a suit (space-suit, armor, whatever). So why would the "proto-xeno" take on characteristics of the suit, not the host? Even if the suit was bio-mechanical this makes no sense.

For this same reason, the squid-baby makes no sense. One of the biggest critiques of the AVP movies was the disregard for the life-cycle of the aliens ... the same applies here. I can live with the black goo creating the alien cobra (from the worms we saw in the footprint). But the black goo is then fed to a human who passes it along through his love-goo and it impregnates a human to make a squid ... WTF? There is NO logical path there ... The "classic" xeno is quite obviously insectile in nature. So where did the insect DNA come from in this cycle?

Why did Vickers go to an escape pod when her quarters were a self-contained ship that was jettisoned anyway?

That said, the squid and the cobra ... almost make the hybrid-alien in Alien 4 make sense with the pale skin ...
Old 06-19-12, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by RD1973
I've read through most of the thread and I haven't seen anyone mention the single lamest thing in the movie: the alien ship's control panel!

First, you have to play a few notes from a dollar store recorder.
Then, you start poking at the hardboiled eggs all over the console.
Once activated, a mini aurora borealis emerges from little plastic pyramids to create the display? WTF?!

I've given this alot of thought and that is lamer than anything in the SW prequels.
It makes perfect sense when you look at it from another point of view ... the Captain of Prometheus was not playing the accordion, he was programming coordinates; then he poked Vickers (who was as hard as a hard-boiled egg) and they probably both saw stars ... I love the parallels in this film!
Old 06-19-12, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I do think they made the right call of making an offshoot film in that universe because they can then touch on things while still keeping the audience in the dark with respect to the ending.

As has been said, it was the execution and the sub-plots, not the main idea, that's at fault.

So long as they give us a really cool sequel with David and Shaw, all will be ok. But the last thing I want to see is a retread sequel where a team finds the two and they go back.
Old 06-19-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
I do think they made the right call of making an offshoot film in that universe because they can then touch on things while still keeping the audience in the dark with respect to the ending.

As has been said, it was the execution and the sub-plots, not the main idea, that's at fault.

So long as they give us a really cool sequel with David and Shaw, all will be ok. But the last thing I want to see is a retread sequel where a team finds the two and they go back.
This is what I'm afraid of. It will either be little lady and her robot or a new crew basically repeating what we have already seen.
Old 06-19-12, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I started to read the whole thread but gave up ... so forgive me if my thoughts have been stated by somebody else already ... and I'll stick with things I haven't really seen yet.

Why are you all convinced the Engineers were trying to destroy humanity? What if the awakened Engineer was trying to save humanity by attacking the group to PREVENT them from returning to Earth with the black goo? He wakes up, sees humans and thinks "Oh, hell naw!" and goes all Will Smith on their asses.

The "proto-xeno" many have referred to is NOT the first xenomorph ... look at the mural in the chamber and you will see what is quite obviously a queen xenomorph. For this reason, I tend to agree with the poster who theorized the black goo came from the xenomorph, not the other way around.

The birth of the so-called "proto-xeno" makes no sense ... the goo (and xenomorph DNA from the prior films) combines with the host DNA and takes on some of the host's characteristics. It was clearly spelled out early on the Engineers' "exo-skeleton" was NOT an exo-skeleton but rather a suit (space-suit, armor, whatever). So why would the "proto-xeno" take on characteristics of the suit, not the host? Even if the suit was bio-mechanical this makes no sense.

For this same reason, the squid-baby makes no sense. One of the biggest critiques of the AVP movies was the disregard for the life-cycle of the aliens ... the same applies here. I can live with the black goo creating the alien cobra (from the worms we saw in the footprint). But the black goo is then fed to a human who passes it along through his love-goo and it impregnates a human to make a squid ... WTF? There is NO logical path there ... The "classic" xeno is quite obviously insectile in nature. So where did the insect DNA come from in this cycle?

Why did Vickers go to an escape pod when her quarters were a self-contained ship that was jettisoned anyway?

That said, the squid and the cobra ... almost make the hybrid-alien in Alien 4 make sense with the pale skin ...

The squid/sperm that mutated into a giant facehugger that implanted the Engineer.
Old 06-19-12, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

What if the suit was organic and part of the Engineer? That would make perfect sense. The beginning of the film is many thousands of years prior to what happened on LV 223, so even the Engineers evolved.
Old 06-19-12, 03:53 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this is cool.

Old 06-19-12, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not really.
Old 06-19-12, 04:13 PM
Banned

welll..fuck
Old 06-19-12, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I like them.
Old 06-19-12, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
The movie might have worked better if it wasn't so beholden to the first Alien movie.
Yeah. Playing in the same universe as ALIEN was a good idea in my opinion because Giger's inspired designs are so good that after all these years they still look intricate and disturbing. Also, you could still maintain the interest of ALIEN fans while still trying to do something new.

But they didn't. Ridley repeated some of the same scenes we've seen in the previous ALIEN films, especially from the first, and the studio felt they had to force a stronger connection to the franchise by adding the xenomorph at the ending.
Old 06-19-12, 04:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brayzie
Yeah. Playing in the same universe as ALIEN was a good idea in my opinion because Giger's inspired designs are so good that after all these years they still look intricate and disturbing. Also, you could still maintain the interest of ALIEN fans while still trying to do something new.

But they didn't. Ridley repeated some of the same scenes we've seen in the previous ALIEN films, especially from the first, and the studio felt they had to force a stronger connection to the franchise by adding the xenomorph at the ending.
is that confirmed?
Old 06-19-12, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, that's just my assumption. I would find it hard to believe that someone who directed Blade Runner would intentionally want that kind of ending.
Old 06-19-12, 04:38 PM
Banned

No, that's just my assumption. I would find it hard to believe that someone who directed Blade Runner would intentionally want that kind of ending.
Please remember his choices on Robin Hood's script. Let's not put Mr. Ridley Scott too high on that pedestal of his.
Old 06-19-12, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea, but he's done plenty of total shit since then. Well, I shouldn't say "total shit" since even a bad Ridley Scott film still at least looks marvelous.

I'll bet he was ambivalent over its inclusion, but the studio likely wanted it so he acquiesced without much of a fuss.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.