Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews
10.00%
10.95%
34.76%
14.76%
7.14%
9.52%
7.62%
0.95%
0%
2.38%
0%
Alien 5 Sucks!
1.90%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-12, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

I wonder what the original screenplay was like. Remember, it was on The Blacklist (best unproduced scripts) a few years ago. And now the screenplay is getting the most criticism.
Old 06-17-12, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw the movie for a second time and it really is much more enjoyable the second time around.

The first time, I was hoping for something as good as Alien. But as I noticed flaw after flaw, the movie got further and further away from that. So I walked out of the theater disappointed and confused.

This time around I focused more on the sights and sounds, and the movie's themes, and it was quite enjoyable. The flaws are still there, and I wish they weren't. But I was able to look past them. Prometheus really is the most intriguing sci-fi movie of the last 10 years or more.

The movie this most reminds me of is Revenge of the Sith. I walked out of that movie totally disappointed. But over time, I've come to appreciate what works and I can overlook what doesn't.

The "flute" and the last shot still suck, but I thoroughly enjoyed everything else. I think going forward, I will stop the movie when the second alien ship takes off.

I will be buying the Bluray (if the extended cut fixes any of the flaws, that would be a definite plus) and I look forward to Prometheus 2.

By the way, I did notice something interesting this time around. I believe the ringed planet is the same one from Alien and it appears to have at least 2 moons. One is LV-223 and the second could be LV-426. Perhaps, the engineers develop their weapons on LV-223 and then strike from there at their enemies. A ship from LV-223 could have been on its way to attack an enemy when the xenomorphs escaped and the ship crashed on LV-426.
Old 06-17-12, 02:58 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RD1973
The movie this most reminds me of is Revenge of the Sith.
This should be a quote on the front of the Bluray box.
Old 06-17-12, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
This should be a quote on the front of the Bluray box.
You know I knew that's the one sentence everyone would notice first. Fuck it, I love Revenge of the Sith.
Old 06-17-12, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by golden_rod
I loved it. It has flaws, many great movies do, but I never found it anything less than intriguing.

One of the concepts I particularly liked was how Weyland was destroyed for attempting to prolong life & the Engineers were destroyed for attempting to destroy the life they created.

Why is there so much question in regards to David taking Shaw's cross? He was fascinated by it and taking it was his small attempt to take away her faith. That's it.
That's how I took it. But, he could have been trying to discover some faith of his own.
Old 06-17-12, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by brayzie
That's what I thought it was going to be. They were going to play in the same universe as ALIEN, but leave the xenomorphs out of it. The Space Jockey's, Weyland Corp, and Giger styled monuments and technology were more than enough. Tacking on that screaming thing at the end was bad. It shared the same ending with AvP.
I didn't mind this ending. Acting like gods and getting burned by the very thing you're playing with. (That's my own interpretation.) If we didn't have the knowledge of the Alien franchise, that might have been a jaw dropper of an ending.
Old 06-17-12, 08:51 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think people are way too compromised w/ their Alien love.
Old 06-17-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I think people are way too compromised w/ their Alien love.
You could say the same thing about Prometheus.
Old 06-17-12, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw it yesterday with my girlfriend. Enjoyed it.
Old 06-17-12, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

We saw it today and I enjoyed it for the most part. I thought it was funny that Weyland wanted the answers to everything but then asked the lady if she lost her faith. I thought faith was based on not exactly knowing but still believing. If you know everything then you can't really have faith can you? I'm not sure what to think of all the ancient drawings that are supposed to lead us to the Engineers. Who made those? Did they really want us to come and find them when they wanted to destroy us?
Old 06-18-12, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

The Film Critic "Hulk" absolutely nails every single issue with Prometheus and why it doesn't work, mostly stemming from Lindleof's fixation.

It's very long, but a great read.

http://badassdigest.com/2012/06/17/f...-intervention/
Old 06-18-12, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. My first experience with a film that was actually filmed in 3D and it might have made me lift my 3D ban.

My big "gripe" was how they just glossed over them getting to the second alien ship. Did that ship have canisters too? Did they somehow destroy them before they took off?

Questions. What was the deal with the opening? What was the ship that was leaving and why did that engineer kill himself? Why did David seemingly go rouge out of nowhere? Do we know why the engineers wanted to kill the humans or was that left open to interpretation?
Old 06-18-12, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 312 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
The Film Critic "Hulk" absolutely nails every single issue with Prometheus and why it doesn't work, mostly stemming from Lindleof's fixation.

I do not care for that critic's writing style at all and found his first and third points belabored and unconvincing, but I do mostly agree with the analysis in his second point.
Old 06-18-12, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Timber
Questions. What was the deal with the opening? What was the ship that was leaving and why did that engineer kill himself?
The opening showed the Engineers sacrificing one of their own in order to introduce their DNA to Earth. Humanity was then created. It's never explained what the different ship is that's hovering over Earth.

Why did David seemingly go rouge out of nowhere?
He didn't, he was under Weyland's control the entire time (at least until the end). His objective was to resurrect or find the Engineers at any cost; that's why he spiked Holloway, to see what would happen and whether or not it would bring him closer to Weyland's goal.

Do we know why the engineers wanted to kill the humans or was that left open to interpretation?
It was left for Part II.
Old 06-18-12, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still just an opinion.
Old 06-18-12, 11:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by golden_rod
The opening showed the Engineers sacrificing one of their own in order to introduce their DNA to Earth. Humanity was then created. It's never explained what the different ship is that's hovering over Earth.
Actually we don't know if it's Earth. We're under assumption of it though.
Old 06-18-12, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I'm sure this link was posted already, but will do it again:

http://www.prometheusforum.net/discussion/2118

Interesting notions in the comments section below, with some people making mention that the Engineers evolved into bio-mechanical Engineers from their pale white origins.

That's probably why the "Deacon" alien at the end had bio-mechanics in its body, because the bio-mechanical "suit" the Engineer is wearing isn't really a suit at all.
Old 06-18-12, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
Still just an opinion.
But a (very) well-reason and well-supported one; with much more thought and analysis than anything I've heard from the people who felt that the movie worked.
Old 06-18-12, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But a (very) well-reason and well-supported one; with much more thought and analysis than anything I've heard from the people who felt that the movie worked.
Even if my reasons for liking it are completely bizarre, I'm still entitled to them without having to justify it to anyone.

I'm not trying to convince you to like it, so I don't see why you're compelled to "educate" anyone why they shouldn't like it. I don't get it...
Old 06-18-12, 12:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
You could say the same thing about Prometheus.
?
Old 06-18-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
Even if my reasons for liking it are completely bizarre, I'm still entitled to them without having to justify it to anyone.

I'm not trying to convince you to like it, so I don't see why you're compelled to "educate" anyone why they shouldn't like it. I don't get it...
I wasn't talking about liking the movie vs. not liking it. I'm talking about whether the movie works or not. These are two completely different things and you can like a movie that doesn't work and hate a movie that does. "Liking" is opinion, whether a movie "works" is more ambiguous, as it has less to do with feelings, and it's not so cut & dry, but it certainly has less to do with one's opinion than liking it does.
Old 06-18-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
?
The movie might have worked better if it wasn't so beholden to the first Alien movie.
Old 06-18-12, 04:31 PM

I refuse to read it on general principle because that asshole doesn't know how to turn of CAPS LOCK.
Old 06-18-12, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
The movie might have worked better if it wasn't so beholden to the first Alien movie.
or if it had tried to be a true alien prequel. This whole "strands of alien dna" "not a prequel" crap was just them trying to be cute. They didn't have the balls to make a whole new movie in the vein of Alien because it would be unoriginal but completely unconnected to Alien. They also didn't have the balls to make a full on Alien prequel so they walked this middle ground that produced a decent albeit far from great film.
Old 06-18-12, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 312 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11
They also didn't have the balls to make a full on Alien prequel so they walked this middle ground that produced a decent albeit far from great film.
The original script was exactly this, but then Lindelof was given the script and suggested the "in the Alien universe but not a direct prequel" approach as well as what a sequel could look like given that approach. If you just do a prequel that directly leads into Alien, no chance for a sequel. I think that's what Ridley and I'm sure the producers liked about the idea. I don't think it had to do with balls, I think it had to do with dollar signs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.