Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews
10.00%
10.95%
34.76%
14.76%
7.14%
9.52%
7.62%
0.95%
0%
2.38%
0%
Alien 5 Sucks!
1.90%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

I will say this. There was no obnoxious 3D effect where an alien bursts out of someone's chest right into your face in 3D. Nor a face hugger jumping at the screen in 3D. Good on them for making the 3D subtle and simply providing depth...
Old 06-14-12, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

So how gross is the
Spoiler:
C section
that I have heard about?
Old 06-14-12, 10:27 PM

Not gross at all.
Old 06-14-12, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Para Para
Not gross at all.
Agreed. It's also my favorite scene in the movie, by far.
Old 06-14-12, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
So how gross is the
Spoiler:
C section
that I have heard about?
Kind of gross, but nothing too horrific...
Old 06-14-12, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Deleted Scene:

Old 06-15-12, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I think that there are certainly some valid points to be made about the film's deficiencies, but I'm noticing much of the excessive nitpicking and anger is due to fanboy disappointment. People seem to be taking it personally that Scott made a sci-fi film, set in the Alien universe, that doesn't tie in as nicely as they were hoping for. Or that it doesn't "live up to Alien". Because, you know, that was totally possible...
Is this true, though? I mean, sure, there's a lot of the usual fanboyism out there in the wilds of the internet, but none of the many valid points against this movie that've been brought up here and in other respectable places have much of anything to do with Alien or its universe. There's plenty to legitimately criticize the movie over without that, like how not a single thing in this movie's self-contained story makes an ounce of fucking sense.
Old 06-15-12, 02:08 AM

^^ that shit always fascinates me.

So much effort gone into costume, make up, prosthetics, etc, etc, all for it to end up on the cutting room floor.
Old 06-15-12, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by celmendo
I don't think anyone in the audience actually believed it was contaminated. I was just trying to follow the "logic" of the script. It was safe in the lab. It makes zero sense that he would take the time to go back to the lab to get someone's personal belonging that would have no real meaning to an android and put it in his environmental suit for a trip to see the engineer that he had no reason to think he wouldn't return from. Maybe if it was someplace visible and Albino Hulk saw it and went apeshit it would fit with the crucifying space jesus theory but even then why would he have it?
He liked it. Not everything had to have grand meaning.
Old 06-15-12, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I think that there are certainly some valid points to be made about the film's deficiencies, but I'm noticing much of the excessive nitpicking and anger is due to fanboy disappointment. People seem to be taking it personally that Scott made a sci-fi film, set in the Alien universe, that doesn't tie in as nicely as they were hoping for. Or that it doesn't "live up to Alien". Because, you know, that was totally possible...
Seems like you enjoyed it slightly more than I did, but in terms of the backlash being Alien fanboy driven, most of the critical backlash I've read (and taken part in earlier in this thread) has been about the film's horrible script in terms of its wild shifts in tone and characterizations (the geologist and biologist).

As for the whole "Why did David put that in the drink?" issue, I'm with you there. I thought that one was pretty obvious, unless I am missing some sort of android rule of the Alien universe. David was simply using him as a guinea pig and maybe it would not have seemed so retaliatory (as if David did it out of spite) if that guy wasn't a dick the entire film.
Old 06-15-12, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like Alien and Aliens well enough, but I'm not a fanboy by any means. I knew going into this one that it wouldn't be much about xenomorphs, and I was totally fine with that. Also, I really enjoyed the film up until about halfway through. Once the crap started hitting the fan was where the movie just started to lose me. Feels like a lot of stuff was cut out of the second half...
Old 06-15-12, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Is this true, though? I mean, sure, there's a lot of the usual fanboyism out there in the wilds of the internet, but none of the many valid points against this movie that've been brought up here and in other respectable places have much of anything to do with Alien or its universe. There's plenty to legitimately criticize the movie over without that, like how not a single thing in this movie's self-contained story makes an ounce of fucking sense.
Originally Posted by BambooLounge
Seems like you enjoyed it slightly more than I did, but in terms of the backlash being Alien fanboy driven, most of the critical backlash I've read (and taken part in earlier in this thread) has been about the film's horrible script in terms of its wild shifts in tone and characterizations (the geologist and biologist).
No, I fully agree that there are clear and obvious scripting issues, as well as a number of unexplained actions that may never be explained if a sequel isn't realized. I also think that some people are nitpicking too much, though, and things they aren't getting are things they need to think about more.

This is one of those films that had an incredible trailer and huge internet buzz... and a lot of those often don't meet expectations, which I feel leads to "fanboy anger". Right now, the hot thing is to totally hate on this movie. And, again, I think almost every point people bring up is valid, but it's still far more thought-provoking than almost any I'll see this year.

I'm hoping it can be reassessed in a more positive light once Ridley's longer cut surfaces.
Old 06-15-12, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Deleted Scene:

Kind of lends credence to my ritual suicide theory.
Old 06-15-12, 10:35 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

^ are Bill & Ted in this movie too?
Old 06-15-12, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only Bill but it's a pretty short sequence.
Old 06-15-12, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

So how gross is the
Spoiler:
C section
that I have heard about?
It's not that bad but

Spoiler:
when she snapped the umbilical cord

I cringed.
Old 06-15-12, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

So how gross is the
Spoiler:
C section
that I have heard about?
It's an intense scene, but it's not "gross." Footage of real surgery on TV is far more gross.
Old 06-15-12, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Btw, after reading The Art of Prometheus book in its entirety yesterday, there are some interesting tidbits of info that are hinted at.

The "Deacon," (proto-alien) as he's called may be female due to it originally being birthed from Shaw, which is why it has that slender body type of a female. They also hint that it may be an earlier version of a Queen.

The one thing that stood out for me was the shape of the "proto-alien" itself and the alien in the mural. They look alike, they have the same head, which is why it could be an early Queen due to the rest of the mural design looking like a Queen's head enveloping what looks to be a "warrior." It may be talking about the "proto-alien's" life cycle instead of a general life-cycle.

Seriously, for those on the edge or if you enjoyed the film, get the book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/178...SIN=1781161097
Old 06-15-12, 12:34 PM

I loved it. It has flaws, many great movies do, but I never found it anything less than intriguing.

One of the concepts I particularly liked was how Weyland was destroyed for attempting to prolong life & the Engineers were destroyed for attempting to destroy the life they created.

Why is there so much question in regards to David taking Shaw's cross? He was fascinated by it and taking it was his small attempt to take away her faith. That's it.

Last edited by golden_rod; 06-15-12 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-15-12, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Finally saw it last night and I was floored by it. I knew going in that I was not watching an "Alien" film, but a rather extensive prologue to the Alien universe. I was entertained by it and whatever flaws I saw were nitpickings in the grand scheme of the movie. I can't wait to pick up the blu-ray in October and watch the extended cut.

Last edited by Ringmaster; 06-15-12 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-15-12, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And now I know what the guy really looked like..and he's tall as fuck too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0ag-TU1IDek" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-15-12, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw it in IMAX 3D yesterday, and really enjoyed it. It does some have some flaws, for sure, but I still found it to be a thought provoking, intense, scary, film.

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster
Instead of returning to Earth to issue a warning, Shaw decides to track down the Engineers and ask them why they want to destroy humans. Great idea.
The ship is literally filled with stuff the space gods made specifically to weaponize and wipe out life on Earth, and your solution is to bring it to Earth?
Old 06-15-12, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was ok, looked really good but was dumb. Even though they were mostly scientists and there was more of them they had less than half the collective IQ of the crew of the Nostromo. All the things mentioned already, cracking the helmets, 2 guys getting lost after they just mapped the inside, cutting yourself open and 2 minutes later running around, petting the goo and so on. Stupid actions required by the plot.

I was not impressed with the engineers actions either. A supposedly advanced race and the first thing he does on waking is acting like a wild animal. Instead of actually getting some info from these lifeforms they supposedley created before going nuts? He has no interest in what went on since he was put into storage? And they respect life so much that they develope a bio weapon they can't even control. They should have nuked themselves instaed of Earth.

It had the illusion of depth, which I guess is a Lindeloff hallmark. And I agree there really was no reason for the xeno to pop out like that. It looked tacked on.

Actually did they have many ships buried there, all filled with that goo? Were they going to wipe out all life? Were they the forerunners of Saberhagens Berserkers? Fuck them. I hope in the sequel we go there and kill em all amd let goo sort them out.

Last edited by arminius; 06-15-12 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-15-12, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Saw it last week but never got around to commenting on it directly -- I enjoyed the movie but it seemed like half great movie and half studio suggested filler. The dialog was pretty awful in spots, the acting was fine, but the script didn't seem to know what kind of character they wanted Shaw to be. The "run" from the ship and the initial encounter with the snakes were the two most idiotic things I've seen in a while.

I don't think a director's cut will fix the flaws unless Scott has alternate scenes ready.

The movie also reminded me a lot of Metroid. I'm sure Alien was a big influence on the original game, but it seems to have come full circle.

Originally Posted by arminius
Actually did they have many ships buried there, all filled with that goo? Were they going to wipe out all life? Were they the forerunners of Saberhagens Berserkers? Fuck them. I hope in the sequel we go there and kill em all amd let goo sort them out.
Well if you're going to test out biological weapons, it seems like a good idea to test them out on what is essentially you, it came off like we're their lab rats.
Old 06-16-12, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
Saw it last week but never got around to commenting on it directly -- I enjoyed the movie but it seemed like half great movie and half studio suggested filler. The dialog was pretty awful in spots, the acting was fine, but the script didn't seem to know what kind of character they wanted Shaw to be. The "run" from the ship and the initial encounter with the snakes were the two most idiotic things I've seen in a while.

I don't think a director's cut will fix the flaws unless Scott has alternate scenes ready.

The movie also reminded me a lot of Metroid. I'm sure Alien was a big influence on the original game, but it seems to have come full circle.

Well if you're going to test out biological weapons, it seems like a good idea to test them out on what is essentially you, it came off like we're their lab rats.
Good point. We were just developed to be a test bed for weapons research so they could destroy all life in the universe. That would be a bigger slap in the face than the robots "because we could" remark.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.