Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews
10.00%
10.95%
34.76%
14.76%
7.14%
9.52%
7.62%
0.95%
0%
2.38%
0%
Alien 5 Sucks!
1.90%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-12, 04:19 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Russian: Прометей

Greek: Προμηθεύς
Old 06-13-12, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
EDIT: Forgot to mention that I think the choice to make this a prequel to Alien (which I watched right before going to see Prometheus) was a huge mistake. This could and should stand on its own and if anything just have passing references to Alien ...The last 10 minutes or so were basically, "Oh shit, we need to send a shout out to Alien...ummm...ok, this works." and it did not work.
That's what I thought it was going to be. They were going to play in the same universe as ALIEN, but leave the xenomorphs out of it. The Space Jockey's, Weyland Corp, and Giger styled monuments and technology were more than enough. Tacking on that screaming thing at the end was bad. It shared the same ending with AvP.
Old 06-13-12, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Russian: Прометей

Greek: Προμηθεύς
No clue then, if it was supposed to be greek it would at least make some sense. Perhaps the OP was on Bath Salts when he created this thread.
Old 06-13-12, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Like they said in the RedLetterMedia review: in a world where we get stuff like Madea, Twilight, and other ilk so regularly, a movie that is as visually well made as this that raises both positive and negative debate should be a welcome change.
Old 06-13-12, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

This might be completely random, but as a basketball fan it looked like the ball David was playing with was the failed new ball that was introduced a few years ago.
Old 06-13-12, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I saw this today after work in 3D with the $10 off coupon from the Taken BD I bought. I ended up paying $2.50 to see it.

Overall, I enjoyed it. It wasn't great, but a good movie going experience. Honestly I didn't really care for the 3D. There weren't too many scenes where the 3D effects actually added to the movie and improved the visual experience.

I think Ridley Scott did a tremendous job. Solid direction by him on such a large scale production and pretty amazing visual effects.

I only read a few of the previous comments, but I think this movie lacked some memorable characters compared to the previous Alien movies. I wasn't a big fan of Noomi Rapace playing essentially the lead as Shaw. I did like Charlize Theron as Vickers, but I would have preferred that she play Shaw. Michael Fassbender was solid as David. However, none of the supporting characters were really memorable to me.

And WTF was the deal casting Guy Pearce to play a character with the old man makeup? What a waste of his talent.

Overall a solid visual experience, good directing by Scott. A few good performances by Fassbender and Theron, but lacked some memorable characters. I would give it a B.
Old 06-14-12, 02:00 AM

I've read through most of the thread and I haven't seen anyone mention the single lamest thing in the movie: the alien ship's control panel!

First, you have to play a few notes from a dollar store recorder.
Then, you start poking at the hardboiled eggs all over the console.
Once activated, a mini aurora borealis emerges from little plastic pyramids to create the display? WTF?!

I've given this alot of thought and that is lamer than anything in the SW prequels.
Old 06-14-12, 02:01 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RD1973
I've given this alot of thought and that is lamer than anything in the SW prequels.
I'm sure somebody will chime in about how this part was actually brilliant, made perfect sense, and that you just didn't "get it".
Old 06-14-12, 02:07 AM

I saw the movie on Saturday, and honestly I had a great time. It's just that when the movie is over, and you start thinking about it, it all falls apart.

I usually walk out of a movie knowing if I will buy the Bluray or not. But I still have no idea in this case.
Old 06-14-12, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I've read through most of the thread and I haven't seen anyone mention the single lamest thing in the movie: the alien ship's control panel!

Once activated, a mini aurora borealis emerges from little plastic pyramids to create the display? WTF?!

That part was brilliant, made perfect sense, and you simply didn't get it. Grow up.

I usually walk out of a movie knowing if I will buy the Bluray or not. But I still have no idea in this case.
Yeah... I'm still pulling for a directors cut as Scott seems to do well with those.
Old 06-14-12, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Saw this last night in 3D. Not a big fan of 3D in general, but circumstances forced my hand for this showing and it was actually the best 3D I've seen. My complaint about 3D is that it ends up being more of a distraction than an enhancement, but in this case it was relatively subtle and effective.

As for the movie, I have mixed feelings. Conceptually, it seems like there was a great movie in there somewhere, but it just didn't come out great in the end. It had awesome visuals and a few solid performances, but was pretty uneven on the whole. I feel like if you stripped away some things and refined a few other aspects, it could have been the masterpiece some here were expecting.
Old 06-14-12, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Saw it last night in a pretty packed theater. Kind of surprised to see that many people on a Wednesday evening, but good for the movie.

I enjoyed it. Not as much aliens killing humans as I thought there would be but it was still fun. I give it 3 out of 5 stars.
Old 06-14-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I hope it doesn't drop too bad this weekend. What sucks is that it is a sci-fi movie that is getting mixed word of mouth from both critics and geeks, and typically sci-fi that isn't really something else (i.e. a comic book adaptation, Star Wars) is a hard sell to general audiences even if it gets good notices from major critics and geeks.
Old 06-14-12, 09:54 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did..did you not see how David knew saw these things activated? It was a great scene w/ David..and David alone.
Old 06-14-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

4 stars from me, although a good 1 star of that is purely for the astounding visuals and concepts introduced and posited by the film.

I think that there are certainly some valid points to be made about the film's deficiencies, but I'm noticing much of the excessive nitpicking and anger is due to fanboy disappointment. People seem to be taking it personally that Scott made a sci-fi film, set in the Alien universe, that doesn't tie in as nicely as they were hoping for. Or that it doesn't "live up to Alien". Because, you know, that was totally possible...

I was fully invested in the film for the first act. I thought the opening was intriguing, and Scott's eye for visuals was in full effect. I understood what was happening with the Engineer for the most part, but doing so requires a full suspension of our known understanding of how our planet's living organisms came to be. You can't rethink extinction events, or how/what we evolved from... you have to assume this is a completely different timeline for humanity.

I did have a major issue with smart people doing stupid things. Charlize's running at the end being the worst. I was equally annoyed by the quickness with which Rapace seemed to heal after having an alien sucked out of her via C-section. Seriously, didn't she just rip off the cord? That's not going to, you know, cause an internal problem for you? Ok then.

I'm not sure why people are confused about why David "infected" Holloway. He was clearly operating under Weyland's orders, which I would imagine included him taking a sample of what looked to be an important organism held inside the "vases", which David unknowingly administered to Holloway in order to gauge his reaction. Perhaps it could have turned out to be something useful that Weyland could then ingest to prolong his life, although I think using one of the two scientists you requested be on board, and not some Red Shirt, was a puzzling choice.

Like Elba's character said, although I have no clue how he actually deduced this, this planet, and the structures, were housed there for producing these biological organisms. I'm thinking that, rather than whatever the Engineer drank in the opening, this particular facility is used to manufacture organisms used to decimation, as suggested by the skull adorning the top. Scott clearly left more questions here than answers, but I like that because it makes me think.

Creature design is weak. I fully agree with Supermallet that everyone seems to be ascribing to the Abrams philosophy of "make it formless with lots of arms/eyes/mouths". It's bad enough that the squid thing was clearly CGI, but at least make the design of interest. Even the proto-xeno looked lazy.

I really hope we get a sequel out of this because I'm interested in seeing where things can go. I'm very leery of recent comments made by Lindelof suggesting that Jesus was an Engineer, and the "major event" that led to the death of those engineers 2000 years ago was his death. Wouldn't he have, you know, looked like one of them then? I could argue against this, but since it's only speculation now I'll save it for a Prometheus 2 thread.

I'm planning to see it again. I saw it in IMAX 3D, so I might go for Real-D on the next one. It leaves more questions than it answered, but I thought a great deal of what was presented made me think about it a lot long after the credits rolled. Had it simply sucked, and not presented larger ideals, I don't think we'd be having such fervent discussion over it.
Old 06-14-12, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Cool article on FX - http://www.fxguide.com/featured/prom...wed-vfx-space/
Old 06-14-12, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone speculated or posted about what was causing these holographic echoes, which conveniently tell the people exactly what they need to know when they need to know it, to activate?
Old 06-14-12, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Has anyone speculated or posted about what was causing these holographic echoes, which conveniently tell the people exactly what they need to know when they need to know it, to activate?
As far as I could tell, every one of the holographic "replays" was activated by something David did using the control schemes of the Engineers. Is that what you mean?
Old 06-14-12, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Is it me, or does the ship, Prometheus look like the space pirates ship "Betty" from Alien: Resurrection?
Old 06-14-12, 04:40 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
Is it me, or does the ship, Prometheus look like the space pirates ship "Betty" from Alien: Resurrection?
I don't see it. It is clearly a ripoff of Serenity/Firefly however.

Old 06-14-12, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pfft, it's a ripoff from Warriors' Gate.
Old 06-14-12, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just saw it today. I love the ending where the baby alien pop out of alien's body.
Old 06-14-12, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
4 stars from me, although a good 1 star of that is purely for the astounding visuals and concepts introduced and posited by the film.

I think that there are certainly some valid points to be made about the film's deficiencies, but I'm noticing much of the excessive nitpicking and anger is due to fanboy disappointment. People seem to be taking it personally that Scott made a sci-fi film, set in the Alien universe, that doesn't tie in as nicely as they were hoping for. Or that it doesn't "live up to Alien". Because, you know, that was totally possible...

I was fully invested in the film for the first act. I thought the opening was intriguing, and Scott's eye for visuals was in full effect. I understood what was happening with the Engineer for the most part, but doing so requires a full suspension of our known understanding of how our planet's living organisms came to be. You can't rethink extinction events, or how/what we evolved from... you have to assume this is a completely different timeline for humanity.

I did have a major issue with smart people doing stupid things. Charlize's running at the end being the worst. I was equally annoyed by the quickness with which Rapace seemed to heal after having an alien sucked out of her via C-section. Seriously, didn't she just rip off the cord? That's not going to, you know, cause an internal problem for you? Ok then.

I'm not sure why people are confused about why David "infected" Holloway. He was clearly operating under Weyland's orders, which I would imagine included him taking a sample of what looked to be an important organism held inside the "vases", which David unknowingly administered to Holloway in order to gauge his reaction. Perhaps it could have turned out to be something useful that Weyland could then ingest to prolong his life, although I think using one of the two scientists you requested be on board, and not some Red Shirt, was a puzzling choice.

Like Elba's character said, although I have no clue how he actually deduced this, this planet, and the structures, were housed there for producing these biological organisms. I'm thinking that, rather than whatever the Engineer drank in the opening, this particular facility is used to manufacture organisms used to decimation, as suggested by the skull adorning the top. Scott clearly left more questions here than answers, but I like that because it makes me think.

Creature design is weak. I fully agree with Supermallet that everyone seems to be ascribing to the Abrams philosophy of "make it formless with lots of arms/eyes/mouths". It's bad enough that the squid thing was clearly CGI, but at least make the design of interest. Even the proto-xeno looked lazy.

I really hope we get a sequel out of this because I'm interested in seeing where things can go. I'm very leery of recent comments made by Lindelof suggesting that Jesus was an Engineer, and the "major event" that led to the death of those engineers 2000 years ago was his death. Wouldn't he have, you know, looked like one of them then? I could argue against this, but since it's only speculation now I'll save it for a Prometheus 2 thread.

I'm planning to see it again. I saw it in IMAX 3D, so I might go for Real-D on the next one. It leaves more questions than it answered, but I thought a great deal of what was presented made me think about it a lot long after the credits rolled. Had it simply sucked, and not presented larger ideals, I don't think we'd be having such fervent discussion over it.

The squid, super squid, and proto-alien were all animatronic, with cgi enhancements.

Just got done reading The Art of Prometheus and it's all there.
Old 06-14-12, 06:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by iNCREDiPiNOY
Just saw it today. I love the ending where the baby alien pop out of alien's body.

Is this supposed to be facetious?
Old 06-14-12, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The squid, super squid, and proto-alien were all animatronic, with cgi enhancements.

Just got done reading The Art of Prometheus and it's all there.
Thanks for the info; I plan on buying that book. I could see that there was some practical work, but the veneer of CGI was clearly evident.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.