Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews
10.00%
10.95%
34.76%
14.76%
7.14%
9.52%
7.62%
0.95%
0%
2.38%
0%
Alien 5 Sucks!
1.90%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-12, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by nando820
For those of you who saw it
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-x1YuvUQFJ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
haha reminds me of another video about a Lindeloff scripted thing

<iframe src="http://www.collegehumor.com/e/6099973" width="600" height="338" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
Old 06-12-12, 11:24 PM

Saw it and loved. Movie of the year for me and destroys the abomination that is The Avengers.
Old 06-12-12, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Why is so hard for FOX to make an all out kick ass Aliens film people want to see? Potty mouthed Marines shooting Aliens on another planet or Earth. Aliens to an extreme level. Lot's of gun play and destruction.
Do not want. As Snake already mentioned we've seen that film almost perfectly executed by Cameron.

Beating the dead horse, saw it today, poorly plotted with sub par writing and piss poor characterizations, yet it still stuffed enough production value into the 2 hour run time to hold my interest.

3 stars.

On a side note, I'd like also like to give a to Supermallet for his on point contributions to this thread.
Old 06-12-12, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Terrell
I could have sworn everyone was saying or expecting this to be a masterpiece based on the trailer that was raved about. What happened?
Fanboys love them some trailers.
Old 06-13-12, 12:56 AM

The fanboy definition of a masterpiece is also a chris nolan movie. Not a surprise they are ready to throw that word around based on a trailer. Im sure they creamed their pants on the Terminator Salvation trailer too.
Old 06-13-12, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

^ awesome
Old 06-13-12, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder if a cut could be made
Spoiler:
where the sequence with the geologist and biologist removes the humor and inexplicable actions along with another cut of the entire sequence in the loading dock with the geologist?

That would remove a lot of the issues with the movie as that whole bit brings down the film and only adds to the idea of "the characters do things for no reason" argument.
Old 06-13-12, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Holy shit that film was inexplicable! In a very bad way.
Old 06-13-12, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw this last night and gave it a solid 3-stars here. Didn't read through the entire thread, so apologies if the below is a repeat/rehash:

My reaction to the film is that Prometheus was a sweeping, amazing sci-fi epic with all the trappings of such, a beautifully rendered world, top notch acting, great effects, epic score, etc. But, then at some point this alien creature called a Lindelof attached itself to its face and impregnated the film with a 50s B-movie script...and that is how we got Prometheus.

I mean, the script seems to fall over itself to be cheesy at times it does not need to be. The moronic hamfisted "reveal" that
Spoiler:
Shaw cannot have kids just to make her latter pregnancy that much more shocking as if being impregnated with some weird alien offspring would not be enough.

Or my favorite idiotic moment is when they first leave the ship to explore, the biologist and geologist who butted heads earlier literally bump heads when getting into their seats...really?!? Both those characters serve as the best example of how this script was so far below the film Scott made (as if one could watch it on mute). For no reason, they go from fairly competent albeit scared, to Abbot and Costello meet Aliens w/o any of the humor of Abbot and Costello. The other egregious misstep that came to mind was the idiotic "nod to organized religion" moment: "It looks like a holocaust painting (b/c the audience is too dumb to make the leap). CUT TO Interior of ship w/xmas music playing. That was just dumb and either trying to be provocative (look, we paired the holocaust with xmas) or it was a really poor attempt to just hammer home the religion angle.

I don't even care that the film leaves a ton of questions unanswered, but if you want to write a loftier sci-fi film, then write a loftier sci-fi film, don't name drop "religion-y stuff" by way of a piece of jewelry. Write something without the cheap plot tricks of 50s B-movie sci-fi.

I would like to think, in 50 years time, people will look back on Prometheus as an example of neo-50s sci-fi B-movies (as if that would be a genre) because that is really all it is and I think it is far more enjoyable to be viewed sans the lofty seriousness the film shoots for and as the most awesome looking silly sci-fi B-movie it actually is.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I think the choice to make this a prequel to Alien (which I watched right before going to see Prometheus) was a huge mistake. This could and should stand on its own and if anything just have passing references to Alien in the way that it is understood that Tarantino's films are neither sequels or prequels of each other in the natural sense, but take place in the same universe of being that QT created (same fake brands, some similar names, etc). The last 10 minutes or so were basically, "Oh shit, we need to send a shout out to Alien...ummm...ok, this works." and it did not work.

Last edited by BambooLounge; 06-13-12 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-13-12, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I suppose that COULD explain it but
Spoiler:
when Shaw was like "Ohhh, you have one of these!" I assumed she was familiar with it. Plus what kind of piece of shit technology they have in 2093 that they can make more human than human androids, and but there healing chambers/auto surgery chambers only have enough data for either male anatomy or female anatomy. Plus instead of being a moment of drama it was more like, "Oh come on!" This is just like when they get in the car only to find it won't start.
For it to handle both sexes it needed an additional memory module that cost $125 (or $195 as part of the TotalBody HealingCare™ aromatherapy package).

As Weyland said, the budget was a firm $1,000,000,000,000.00. And what are we not going to fund, the Christmas tree?
Old 06-13-12, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Despite all this, I still really liked it.

Most scripts, frankly, don't get this kind of attention.
Old 06-13-12, 08:10 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Most scripts don't usually have a 30 year movie franshise history attached to it like this either. But like you, I did enjoy quite a bit. Best use of 3D to date, much better (and not as eye straining) as Avatar.
Old 06-13-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For those interested, they had Lindeloff on "Spoilers" on Hulu Plus and he admitted that originally the script was very much so an Alien prequel and he suggested they make it more about the origin of man, etc. Also, for those who are annoyed that this doesn't directly tie into the Space Jockey ship in the first Alien, you have Lindeloff to thank for that as well. He thought it would be too obvious or something.
Old 06-13-12, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
For those interested, they had Lindeloff on "Spoilers" on Hulu Plus and he admitted that originally the script was very much so an Alien prequel and he suggested they make it more about the origin of man, etc. Also, for those who are annoyed that this doesn't directly tie into the Space Jockey ship in the first Alien, you have Lindeloff to thank for that as well. He thought it would be too obvious or something.
When did this movie go into pre-production? Was it before or after the outcry against Lindeloff over the Lost finale?
Old 06-13-12, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
When did this movie go into pre-production? Was it before or after the outcry against Lindeloff over the Lost finale?
Lindeloff is not a total waste. He has some great ideas and it gets people watching and involved in discussion but he really needs a partner that can reign him in and say "hey, this makes no sense. Let's take your great idea and complete it or at least give it direction. Not just throw out a lot of interesting crap and hope that it's OK".
I can't totally hate on him because who knows how much is actually his fault but I sure want to.
Old 06-13-12, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Despite all this, I still really liked it.

Most scripts, frankly, don't get this kind of attention.
I saw it last night and I REALLY liked it. You definitely have to go in with the mindset that it is not an Alien film. The last three films I've seen with the Alien have sucked ass btw so I don't blame Scott for not really including them in this.
Spoiler:

The only things I wish they would have addressed more clearly was how the SJ got on on LV-426 with the eggs. Also, I wonder if Yutani Corp. is the one that takes over Weyland Corp. now that the main family seems to be deceased.

I still feel burned over Lost, but the answers missing at the end of this movie don't even begin to touch the sour feeling that TV show left for me after six years of story. A lot of the answers are in the film, very subtly, but will probably be specifically cleared up if Scott gets a crack at making part 2. I wouldn't be surprised if Fox lets him do it with the caveat that he includes and markets the Aliens next time.

The 3D was probably the best I've seen in theaters, and second best behind watching Avatar on my 3D projector. This may win out when the BD comes out though. Very impressed with the 3D in this film.
Old 06-13-12, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I saw it last night and I REALLY liked it. You definitely have to go in with the mindset that it is not an Alien film. The last three films I've seen with the Alien have sucked ass btw so I don't blame Scott for not really including them in this.
Spoiler:

The only things I wish they would have addressed more clearly was how the SJ got on on LV-426 with the eggs. Also, I wonder if Yutani Corp. is the one that takes over Weyland Corp. now that the main family seems to be deceased.

I still feel burned over Lost, but the answers missing at the end of this movie don't even begin to touch the sour feeling that TV show left for me after six years of story. A lot of the answers are in the film, very subtly, but will probably be specifically cleared up if Scott gets a crack at making part 2. I wouldn't be surprised if Fox lets him do it with the caveat that he includes and markets the Aliens next time.

The 3D was probably the best I've seen in theaters, and second best behind watching Avatar on my 3D projector. This may win out when the BD comes out though. Very impressed with the 3D in this film.

That would suck so very much. I hope Scott has an epiphany about the last 10 mins of Prometheus, released a Director's Cut on Blu-ray that cuts the "just there to link it to Alien" crap and makes a pure sequel to Prometheus, not one more small step towards Alien.
Old 06-13-12, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
That would suck so very much. I hope Scott has an epiphany about the last 10 mins of Prometheus, released a Director's Cut on Blu-ray that cuts the "just there to link it to Alien" crap and makes a pure sequel to Prometheus, not one more small step towards Alien.
Didn't Scott already state that Prometheus 2 will be a parallel story to Aliens? Which makes me wonder if they'll recast Shaw or simply use old age makeup on Noomi Rapace.
Old 06-13-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Didn't Scott already state that Prometheus 2 will be a parallel story to Aliens? Which makes me wonder if they'll recast Shaw or simply use old age makeup on Noomi Rapace.
Not sure. I haven't really followed the press around Prometheus. Hopefully they don't go the old age makeup route and just *gasp* cast an age appropriate actor. Helen Mirren outer space underwear scene here we come?
Old 06-13-12, 02:39 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Prometheus 2: The Girl with the Haggard Tattoo
Old 06-13-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Says this film is 2 hours, 3 minutes. Does that include the closing credits?
Old 06-13-12, 03:34 PM
Banned

Didn't Scott already state that Prometheus 2 will be a parallel story to Aliens?
It was Lindelof that stated that. Ridley is probably still mulling over what he wants to do for the sequel. His main attention right now is on the Blade Runner follow-up and has already described in detail one of the scenes he plans on creating for it.
Old 06-13-12, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Says this film is 2 hours, 3 minutes. Does that include the closing credits?
Yep.
Old 06-13-12, 04:09 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Also, what's with the use of the Russian alphabet in the subject header?
Old 06-13-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Also, what's with the use of the Russian alphabet in the subject header?
is it supposed to be the greek alphabet maybe?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.