Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews
10.00%
10.95%
34.76%
14.76%
7.14%
9.52%
7.62%
0.95%
0%
2.38%
0%
Alien 5 Sucks!
1.90%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-12, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I will probably go see it again today. Started watching Alien again and the SJ sure doesn't look like it's wearing a suit. Looks very skeletal, especially the exit wound.
Eh the way I explain it to myself is that after being dead for a long time the suit starts to look more like bones instead of the mechanical look we saw in Prometheus. If you're going to acknowledge that Prometheus exists you can't get too caught up in the minor details that don't match Alien such as the size of the space jockey being quite a bit larger in Alien.
Old 06-12-12, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

For those of you who saw it
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-x1YuvUQFJ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-12-12, 01:43 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the ending ..but yes...he has a point w/ almost all of what he said aside from some small overlooks in there.
Old 06-12-12, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Everything that was mentioned in that video was why Prometheus was such a disappointment, and such a bad SF film.

I'm surprised that that
Spoiler:
human scientists are known to take extra, extra precautions when handling bio hazards, but the Prometheuses just put their WMD vases on the dirt floor of an alien moon where there's all types of insects squirming.

And the people don't seem to be that awed about meeting intelligent alien beings (have they already done that in 2090?).

Last edited by brayzie; 06-12-12 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-12-12, 02:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brayzie
Everything that was mentioned in that video was why Prometheus was such a disappointment, and such a bad SF film.

I'm surprised that that
Spoiler:
human scientists are known to take extra, extra precautions when handling bio hazards, but the Prometheuses just put their WMD vases on the dirt floor of an alien moon where there's all types of insects squirming.
.....I think that's the ship itself. I could be wrong.
Old 06-12-12, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got a little confused about that. So when the mapping spheres showed the corridor insides, the later hologram showing the ship was just the finished mapping of where they were at?

Oh yeah it was, because the whole ground later on shifts to reveal the Prometheuses moon base.
Old 06-12-12, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Is he an expert in things that have never, ever happened?"
Old 06-12-12, 02:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The ship and the vase room are two different places.
Old 06-12-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
For those of you who saw it
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-x1YuvUQFJ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
That was great.

Here's their full review:

<iframe src="http://blip.tv/play/AYL6nkUC.html?p=1" width="480" height="300" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://a.blip.tv/api.swf#AYL6nkUC" style="display:none"></embed>
Old 06-12-12, 05:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brayzie
The pleasant music that played in the beginning and at certain parts of the film threw me off because it seemed familiar, like it was from another film
Saving Private Ryan with a hint of the main Star Wars theme. Mainly referring to that "optimistic space exploration" refrain they kept playing over and over again but yeah, Streitenfeld was definitely aping John Williams there.

Last edited by WeylandYutani; 06-12-12 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-12-12, 05:29 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

I dont know if this was posted already, and I apologize if it was...but this is pretty funny.

http://bbot.org/badtranscript-prometheus.html
Old 06-12-12, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't read this thread but just saw the movie. I Liked it, but the Alien connection weakens it. Either make it connected to Alien more or don't . The very end scene felt tacked on as well. Overall it was more like a remake than anything - a Ridley Scott vanity piece as he likely winds down his career over the next decade. Like he wanted to take his most popular film and remake it with new effects. There's some good stuff in it don't get me wrong. But to say the next 2 or 3 films which may or may not happen will tie more into Alien is lame.

The technology didn't bother me. I gave the film 3.5. I liked it better than I probably sound. And maybe over time the unanswered questions will grow on me. Maybe they don't need answering.

But again the question is this - Why is so hard for FOX to make an all out kick ass Aliens film people want to see? Potty mouthed Marines shooting Aliens on another planet or Earth. Aliens to an extreme level. Lot's of gun play and destruction. We got essentially a remake exploring similar situations as the other films disguised as a Prequel.

All said Fassbender was of course stellar..
Old 06-12-12, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh yeah,
Spoiler:
why did Charlize Theron have a machine specifically for her, if it didn't work on females?
Old 06-12-12, 05:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Spoiler:
It was for Weyland.
Old 06-12-12, 06:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Haven't read this thread but just saw the movie. I Liked it, but the Alien connection weakens it. Either make it connected to Alien more or don't . The very end scene felt tacked on as well. Overall it was more like a remake than anything - a Ridley Scott vanity piece as he likely winds down his career over the next decade. Like he wanted to take his most popular film and remake it with new effects. There's some good stuff in it don't get me wrong. But to say the next 2 or 3 films which may or may not happen will tie more into Alien is lame.

The technology didn't bother me. I gave the film 3.5. I liked it better than I probably sound. And maybe over time the unanswered questions will grow on me. Maybe they don't need answering.

But again the question is this - Why is so hard for FOX to make an all out kick ass Aliens film people want to see? Potty mouthed Marines shooting Aliens on another planet or Earth. Aliens to an extreme level. Lot's of gun play and destruction. We got essentially a remake exploring similar situations as the other films disguised as a Prequel.

All said Fassbender was of course stellar..
in a way. Yes and No. The set up of progress mirrors Alien but this film had a question...that it didn't really answer. The Alien franchise itself is totally compromised of situations.

Why would you want essentially a remake of Aliens in terms of ass kickery? As far as AR went. The Xeno is done with.

i enjoy the idea of Marines kicking ass left and right (w/ the applied drama too) but...really...it was done to perfection in Aliens.

your idea sounds like what a fanboy would want w/o really thinking about how that would be set up. LV 426 is the core of all this now if you think about it. And if you really want Marine vs. Xeno asskikery to an extreme (whatever that can entail) Then that new Aliens game taking place after...Aliens seems to be it.
Old 06-12-12, 06:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could have sworn everyone was saying or expecting this to be a masterpiece based on the trailer that was raved about. What happened?
Old 06-12-12, 06:06 PM
Banned

But again the question is this - Why is so hard for FOX to make an all out kick ass Aliens film people want to see? Potty mouthed Marines shooting Aliens on another planet or Earth. Aliens to an extreme level. Lot's of gun play and destruction.
I don't want to see that. If that's what people want then they can just wait for the Colonial Marines video game.
Old 06-12-12, 06:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But again the question is this - Why is so hard for FOX to make an all out kick ass Aliens film people want to see?
Because it's damn hard to catch lightning in a bottle twice, if not impossible. The same goes for the Star Wars prequels, Indy IV, and every other sequel/prequel to a classic.
Old 06-12-12, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it's fan boyish. But we were promised that with Alien 3 and it didn't happen. So we are entitled!
Old 06-12-12, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Spoiler:
It was for Weyland.
I suppose that COULD explain it but
Spoiler:
when Shaw was like "Ohhh, you have one of these!" I assumed she was familiar with it. Plus what kind of piece of shit technology they have in 2093 that they can make more human than human androids, and but there healing chambers/auto surgery chambers only have enough data for either male anatomy or female anatomy. Plus instead of being a moment of drama it was more like, "Oh come on!" This is just like when they get in the car only to find it won't start.
Old 06-12-12, 07:02 PM
Banned by request

I agree. I didn't say it was a GOOD reason.
Old 06-12-12, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But again the question is this - Why is so hard for FOX to make an all out kick ass Aliens film people want to see?
Because, in order to top ALIENS you would have to have an entire planet full of them, either an Earth infestation or their homeworld. The budget and technology didn't exist for it back then, and Weaver's salary went up, so they had to scale back and go back to 1 xeno for ALIEN 3.

Since then, interest in the franchise waned and the profitability went down which is why the subsequent sequels were less and less.

The reason why they didn't make this an all out ALIEN prequel is because the franchise is pretty tarnished ever since Resurrection and AvP. Yet, they also wanted to take advantage of the ALIEN franchise fanbase, which is why they teased with they left some ambiguity leading up to the films opening, and the tacked on ending.

I'm a big fan of Aliens and even I'm kind of wary on the series after AvP. Dark Horse Comics first two comic series's were pretty good and seemed like logical sequels to the 2nd film.
Old 06-12-12, 07:05 PM
Banned by request

I'll never understand why no one has thought of directly adapting the first AvP graphic novel. It's tailor made to be a film.
Old 06-12-12, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah it's fan boyish. But we were promised that with Alien 3 and it didn't happen. So we are entitled!
"On Earth, everyone can hear you scream." Oh how I imagined that film would be like. Probably like a cross between the first two Dark Horse Comics, and the Aliens arcade game.

Despite how crappy I felt when watching Alien 3 in theaters, it was actually a well made film, and had a bittersweet ending to it. Prometheus is trying too hard to be it's own franchise.
Old 06-12-12, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I'll never understand why no one has thought of directly adapting the first AvP graphic novel. It's tailor made to be a film.
They did. Peter Briggs wrote the script and it was very faithful to the original comic. I don't recall why it was never used (despite doing an oral report about it in junior high ).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.