Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews
10.00%
10.95%
34.76%
14.76%
7.14%
9.52%
7.62%
0.95%
0%
2.38%
0%
Alien 5 Sucks!
1.90%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-12, 11:57 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Prometheus aka Прометей (Scott, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

In real life not everyone is important. In a movie with limited screen time everyone should be important for something.
Old 06-11-12, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

I copied this from another site from someone calling themselves Weyland Smithers pretty funny review...

spoiled for length.

Spoiler:

Prometheus is a hilarious comedy in the tradition of "Spaceballs" and "Men in Black" about a motley crew of forgetful, scaredy-cat scientists who go into space and try to find their alien creator. They find maps in caves that are their invitation, but this turns out to be a hilarious trick, like a mousetrap for retards.

The first scene is a giant, german-looking albino steroid guy who drinks some coffee out of an ashtray and gets sick and falls in the waterfall. Special effects reveal that he has little, tiny ladders in his blood called D&A. This guy looks like a member of the Blue Man Group, except White. There is a UFO flying overhead that is never seen or mentioned ever again in the movie. Just one of the many pranks that the writers and director have put in the movie to trick you with.

Next we meet these two very forgetful and silly scientists and they get to go into space on a beautiful ship. It is taken care of by a gay robot who does stuff like dye his hair and dress up like Robocop with a colander on his head to entertain himself. If C3PO had a human face, he would be this guy. All of the silly bungling scientists wake up from hyper-sleep in time to watch a hilarious hologram of a guy in an "old man" mask that looks like the Emperor from Return of the Jedi. I think he is wearing the old guy mask to get some laughs from the wacky scientists, but no one notices it. There is another funny guy with unconventional hair and tattoos who is really mean to everyone - that's so true! Guys that look like that are always dicks!

The spaceship starts to land on the planet, and as luck would have it, lands exactly near the alien castle on the very first try without even looking around too much - another hilarious example of serendipity! These guys are so lucky and fun to watch! The crazy scientists go into the alien castle and two of the guys get so scared that they decide to go back to the ship and get lost, even though they have flying superballs that make 3D maps of everything. Those two bungling doofuses! They are like "Dumb & Dumber" or "Abott & Costello". The rest of the gang finds more poisonous coffee and somehow the gay robot steals a whole pot of it without anyone noticing. He's such a Sneaky-Pete!

Everyone has to go back to the ship at the last minute because the Captian pranks them and waits until a violent storm is nearby before telling them about it! Haha! This guy is great! The two bungling idiot scientists get stuck in the castle and decide to goof-off all night. They try to pet a space cobra that lives in the poisonous coffee, but it kills them, which I think is what ALL cobras wish to do, space or no. Meanwhile, back on the ship, the gay robot does a HILARIOUS prank on the whiny scientist who wears a hipster scarf. He puts a little poisonous coffee in this jerk's drink and gives him pink eye and diarrhea (probably). Haha! That's like a whoopee cushion x100! Luckily the scientist has enough health left to hump his forgetful girlfriend one last time before he is all the way super-sick from the bad coffee. As one last prank to his fellow scientists, he suits up and goes back to the castle with them, even though he secretly knows he is very, very sick. Haha. What an inconvenience to the rest of the group - the ulimate prank!

The mean lady burns him later. The forgetful scientist gets pregnant with a white octopus and has to take it out using Michael Jackson's special oxygen bed. Now here is where the movie gets really hialrious, because she TOTALLY forgets that the alien squid is in there and just leaves to go do some errands! HAHAHA! It turns out that the funny guy in the old man mask is really hiding on the ship and he does some funny slapstick "old man walking" with a cane! I love it!

Everyone goes back to the alien castle for yet a THIRD time, this time to prank the space jockey who lives there. This guy is trying to take a nap, but they keep buggin him! Man, I hate that too! Anyway, they wake him up and start yelling at him, but he is SUPER cranky and kills everybody really fast, exactly the way I would have done it. The funny guy in the old man mask gets a GIANT bump on his head, just like on Bugs Bunny when someone gets an anvil dropped on them! Just another hilarious example of the comedy stylings of Ridley Scott. Luckily, without too much trouble the forgetful scientist sneaks away and easily convinces the funny captain to crash his ship into the space jockey's ship so he can't prank everyone on earth with the old "poison coffee routine." The mean lady gets crushed because the alien ship starts to roll like a big wagon wheel and she runs DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF ITS PATH for big laughs from the audience. Classic slapstick.

Now here is where the set-up with the very, very forgetful scientist girl really pays off with BIG LAUGHS. She goes back to Michael Jackson's bed area and it turns out that the alien squid that she forget to throw in the garbage is now HUGE! This part reminded me of the hilarious movie "Men in Black" where Will Smith gets alien tentacles wrapped around him and screams in a high-pitched voice! Classic Sci-Fi comedy moments all around! Anyway, the forgetful scientist tricks the cranky nap-albino to go near the giant squid, and guess what? It gets him good so she can get away once again with plenty of luck on her side. Amazing!

The movie ends when the forgetful scientist makes friends with the gay robot head that killed her boyfriend and wanted to do the same to her, but hey - let bygones be bygones. Forgive and forget. They sail off together in another ship to go have more zany, whacky space-comedy adventures together! Hooray!

Oh, but wait! At the very, very, very end, an alien hatches out of the cranky nap-guy's belly and spits out its dentures! I wish the funny guy in the old man mask had done that too! I can't wait to see this one again this weekend. I think there are many, many, many other jokes and riddles that were never explained or that I missed while I was laughing at the other stuff. Intentional plot holes are the ultimate prank on the audience. It's like the whole movie just gave you two middle fingers with simultaneous fart noises.

Ten out of ten stars! See this one with your little kids!

Old 06-11-12, 12:10 PM
Banned by request

That's brilliant.
Old 06-11-12, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Don't they call that a "red herring?"

I never had a problem with her character at all. I figured she was either an android or Weyland's daughter. Yes, composition-wise they would always frame her with the best posture, like when she confronts David and she's standing there all robot-like in the hallway.

Sometimes things really don't go anywhere like we want them to.
What's the red herring then? That this character they try to build as a bad ass, tough as nails leader is really just a slot to put a big name actress to put on the front of the poster?
Old 06-11-12, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
In real life not everyone is important. In a movie with limited screen time everyone should be important for something.
Who made that rule? How many times have you seen a movie/tv show where a character is really another's father/mother/long lost brother or with some other tie that seems to be way against the odds?

One could argue, "that's why we are watching this particular story, because it's interesting like that", and that's valid. Who wants to watch a completely boring story, after all? But it shouldn't be exclusive; only tell a story if EVERY character plays a critical role, that's improbable and honestly gets quite stale.

But hey, at the end of the day you did not like it, and that's cool, opinions and all that, but don't try to sell that Resurrection is a better film as FACT, because that's an opinion too.
Old 06-11-12, 12:16 PM
Banned by request

She didn't have to be important in a big twist kind of way. But she child have been important by having some bearing on the plot or other characters. All she does in the film is roast Holloway, which anyone could have done.
Old 06-11-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I copied this from another site from someone calling themselves Weyland Smithers pretty funny review...

spoiled for length.

Spoiler:

Prometheus is a hilarious comedy in the tradition of "Spaceballs" and "Men in Black" about a motley crew of forgetful, scaredy-cat scientists who go into space and try to find their alien creator. They find maps in caves that are their invitation, but this turns out to be a hilarious trick, like a mousetrap for retards.

The first scene is a giant, german-looking albino steroid guy who drinks some coffee out of an ashtray and gets sick and falls in the waterfall. Special effects reveal that he has little, tiny ladders in his blood called D&A. This guy looks like a member of the Blue Man Group, except White. There is a UFO flying overhead that is never seen or mentioned ever again in the movie. Just one of the many pranks that the writers and director have put in the movie to trick you with.

Next we meet these two very forgetful and silly scientists and they get to go into space on a beautiful ship. It is taken care of by a gay robot who does stuff like dye his hair and dress up like Robocop with a colander on his head to entertain himself. If C3PO had a human face, he would be this guy. All of the silly bungling scientists wake up from hyper-sleep in time to watch a hilarious hologram of a guy in an "old man" mask that looks like the Emperor from Return of the Jedi. I think he is wearing the old guy mask to get some laughs from the wacky scientists, but no one notices it. There is another funny guy with unconventional hair and tattoos who is really mean to everyone - that's so true! Guys that look like that are always dicks!

The spaceship starts to land on the planet, and as luck would have it, lands exactly near the alien castle on the very first try without even looking around too much - another hilarious example of serendipity! These guys are so lucky and fun to watch! The crazy scientists go into the alien castle and two of the guys get so scared that they decide to go back to the ship and get lost, even though they have flying superballs that make 3D maps of everything. Those two bungling doofuses! They are like "Dumb & Dumber" or "Abott & Costello". The rest of the gang finds more poisonous coffee and somehow the gay robot steals a whole pot of it without anyone noticing. He's such a Sneaky-Pete!

Everyone has to go back to the ship at the last minute because the Captian pranks them and waits until a violent storm is nearby before telling them about it! Haha! This guy is great! The two bungling idiot scientists get stuck in the castle and decide to goof-off all night. They try to pet a space cobra that lives in the poisonous coffee, but it kills them, which I think is what ALL cobras wish to do, space or no. Meanwhile, back on the ship, the gay robot does a HILARIOUS prank on the whiny scientist who wears a hipster scarf. He puts a little poisonous coffee in this jerk's drink and gives him pink eye and diarrhea (probably). Haha! That's like a whoopee cushion x100! Luckily the scientist has enough health left to hump his forgetful girlfriend one last time before he is all the way super-sick from the bad coffee. As one last prank to his fellow scientists, he suits up and goes back to the castle with them, even though he secretly knows he is very, very sick. Haha. What an inconvenience to the rest of the group - the ulimate prank!

The mean lady burns him later. The forgetful scientist gets pregnant with a white octopus and has to take it out using Michael Jackson's special oxygen bed. Now here is where the movie gets really hialrious, because she TOTALLY forgets that the alien squid is in there and just leaves to go do some errands! HAHAHA! It turns out that the funny guy in the old man mask is really hiding on the ship and he does some funny slapstick "old man walking" with a cane! I love it!

Everyone goes back to the alien castle for yet a THIRD time, this time to prank the space jockey who lives there. This guy is trying to take a nap, but they keep buggin him! Man, I hate that too! Anyway, they wake him up and start yelling at him, but he is SUPER cranky and kills everybody really fast, exactly the way I would have done it. The funny guy in the old man mask gets a GIANT bump on his head, just like on Bugs Bunny when someone gets an anvil dropped on them! Just another hilarious example of the comedy stylings of Ridley Scott. Luckily, without too much trouble the forgetful scientist sneaks away and easily convinces the funny captain to crash his ship into the space jockey's ship so he can't prank everyone on earth with the old "poison coffee routine." The mean lady gets crushed because the alien ship starts to roll like a big wagon wheel and she runs DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF ITS PATH for big laughs from the audience. Classic slapstick.

Now here is where the set-up with the very, very forgetful scientist girl really pays off with BIG LAUGHS. She goes back to Michael Jackson's bed area and it turns out that the alien squid that she forget to throw in the garbage is now HUGE! This part reminded me of the hilarious movie "Men in Black" where Will Smith gets alien tentacles wrapped around him and screams in a high-pitched voice! Classic Sci-Fi comedy moments all around! Anyway, the forgetful scientist tricks the cranky nap-albino to go near the giant squid, and guess what? It gets him good so she can get away once again with plenty of luck on her side. Amazing!

The movie ends when the forgetful scientist makes friends with the gay robot head that killed her boyfriend and wanted to do the same to her, but hey - let bygones be bygones. Forgive and forget. They sail off together in another ship to go have more zany, whacky space-comedy adventures together! Hooray!

Oh, but wait! At the very, very, very end, an alien hatches out of the cranky nap-guy's belly and spits out its dentures! I wish the funny guy in the old man mask had done that too! I can't wait to see this one again this weekend. I think there are many, many, many other jokes and riddles that were never explained or that I missed while I was laughing at the other stuff. Intentional plot holes are the ultimate prank on the audience. It's like the whole movie just gave you two middle fingers with simultaneous fart noises.

Ten out of ten stars! See this one with your little kids!

Yeah, I tried reading that, but the dude who wrote it was too much of a "try-hard."
Old 06-11-12, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by thematahara
What's the red herring then? That this character they try to build as a bad ass, tough as nails leader is really just a slot to put a big name actress to put on the front of the poster?

It can be a character or situation that is set up to lead somewhere, but doesn't at the end. It's another plot device. Alfred Hitchcock was famous for doing it.

A red herring is a figurative expression in which a clue or piece of information is or is intended to be misleading, or distracting from the actual question.

Everyone thought she was a robot or that her story arc would lead someone after being built on for a while that when she was crushed by the ship it didn't.
Old 06-11-12, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this posted elsewhere. Might lend some credence to my theory posted earlier.

Spoilers if you haven't seen it yet
http://www.prometheusforum.net/discu...in-alien-mural
Old 06-11-12, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This wasnt a "Hey lets focus in on the desk to make you think the bomb is here, but instead it is somewhere else."

This is a piss poor job of having a main character contribute to the story.

You cant have a shitty script and then just scream Red Herring anytime something doesn't make sense.
Old 06-11-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11
Saw this posted elsewhere. Might lend some credence to my theory posted earlier.

Good find. We were talking about that earlier.
Old 06-11-12, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by thematahara
This wasnt a "Hey lets focus in on the desk to make you think the bomb is here, but instead it is somewhere else."

This is a piss poor job of having a main character contribute to the story.

You cant have a shitty script and then just scream Red Herring anytime something doesn't make sense.

That's exactly what she was, though. I'm not talking about red herrings all over the place. I am saying Charlize Theron's character WAS the red herring. I know it stings, but that's what she was.
Old 06-11-12, 12:34 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11

Taken directly from the original Giger designs. Love it.
Old 06-11-12, 12:35 PM
Banned by request

That's exactly what she was, though. I'm not talking about red herrings all over the place. I am saying Charlize Theron's character WAS the red herring. I know it stings, but that's what she was.
What is she distracting us from, though?
Old 06-11-12, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Following the plot apparently
Old 06-11-12, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

MISLEADING or DISTRACTING.

Pick one.
Old 06-11-12, 12:41 PM
Banned by request

She's not misleading us, either. She doesn't obscure anything, doesn't make us look one way while Scott does something elsewhere, doesn't do anything in the movie except get killed stupidly.
Old 06-11-12, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Charlize Theron is en route to become the new, much sexier, Sean Bean.
Old 06-11-12, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Yeah, I tried reading that, but the dude who wrote it was too much of a "try-hard."
True, but that doesn't make it any less hilarious, and I liked the movie overall! FWIW, if one wants, they can poke holes in just about any movie, no matter how well made it or foolproof initial viewings might lead one to believe.
Old 06-11-12, 12:44 PM
Banned by request

No one is sexier than Sean Bean.
Old 06-11-12, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

She's not misleading us, either. She doesn't obscure anything, doesn't make us look one way while Scott does something elsewhere, doesn't do anything in the movie except get killed stupidly.

She's not misleading you? Seriously? You've already made up your mind (obviously), so I don't see the point in trying to explain it further, because it will never be "good enough" for you.

C'est la vie.
Old 06-11-12, 12:52 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
True, but that doesn't make it any less hilarious, and I liked the movie overall! FWIW, if one wants, they can poke holes in just about any movie, no matter how well made it or foolproof initial viewings might lead one to believe.
I'd like to see 2001 broken down like that. Cuz...well..it's 2001. I can't think of anything negative for it.
Old 06-11-12, 12:54 PM
Banned by request

She's not misleading you? Seriously? You've already made up your mind (obviously), so I don't see the point in trying to explain it further, because it will never be "good enough" for you.

C'est la vie.
Sorry I don't accept stretching of the term red herring to excuse poor screenwriting.
Old 06-11-12, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry I don't accept stretching of the term red herring to excuse poor screenwriting.

It doesn't matter if you accept it or not. It is what it is.
Old 06-11-12, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

(I don't agree with Supermallet's assessment in this regard, as I don't feel every character needs to come full circle. That said, I felt like posting a red herring.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.