Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommend a random movie thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Recommend a random movie thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-12, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Recommend a random movie thread

The original SCARFACE (1932), which was directed by Howard Hawks while the real "Scarface," Al Capone, was still running Chicago. This is the film which invented modern action film grammar. It tells the same story as De Palma's film in half the time. And if you thought Al Pacino was over the top, wait till you see Paul Muni. George Raft plays his sidekick and came out of this a star.

Oh, and Ann Dvorak is much hotter in the sister role than what's-her-name was in the remake.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 05-22-12 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-21-12, 04:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

we still need a BD of this film btw.
Old 05-21-12, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

The Shack Out On 101.(1955). From the director who brought you The Leech Woman! Whit Bissell! Atomic spies! Terry Moore in bathing suit! Lee Marvin as greasy spoon cook named "Slob"! and Whit Bissell!
Old 05-21-12, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I'll one up you...

Michael Mann's.....Thief

/thread
No doubt. This and The Driver were the two films I walked into this thread with. After hearing about their similarities to Refn's, Drive I had to see both immediately and I was not let down. Phenomenal films, especially Thief. Drive and Thief are on Netflix streaming right now.

I'll throw out Kinji Fukusaku's (Battle Royale) Message from Space. It's in the so bad it's great territory with a fantastic cast ..Vic Morrow, Sonny Chiba and a young Hiroyuki Sanada (Last Samurai). It's essentially a super hokey power rangers meets Seven Samurai in space. What else is there to know?
Old 05-21-12, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lawrence Kasdan's debut "Body Heat" from 1981 is a pretty famous movie, but not many people I've recommended it to have seen it. It's a modern film noir that takes place during a hot summer in a small Florida town. William Hurt plays an incompetent lawyer who meets a married woman played by Kathleen Turner in her debut. It goes from there. Terrific small roles from Ted Danson as an assistant DA and friend, JA Preston as a cop and Richard Crenna as... I won't spoil it. Mickey Rourke also turns in a instant classic cameo. It's beautifully shot, has a memorable score and great dialog. Also, it features one of my favorite endings in any movie ever.
Old 05-21-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Dead & Buried
Old 05-21-12, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I recommend the following movie thread, chosen randomly as per the thread title's instructions:

Patman's Princess Diaries 2: A Royal Engagement, A quick review

You are most welcome.
Old 05-21-12, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Roma contro Roma aka Rome Against Rome aka War of the Zombies aka Night Star: Goddess of Electra.
If you like sword and sandal movies, faux zombies, and John Drew Barrymore, then this is the one for you!
Old 05-22-12, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 444 Likes on 251 Posts

I Drink Your Blood - The greatest rabid hippie movie ever made!!!
Old 05-22-12, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Directed by Dennis Hopper in 1980 starring Linda Manz (Days of Heaven). It's one of my favorite films and my favorite film directed by Dennis Hopper.

Old 05-22-12, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Roma contro Roma aka Rome Against Rome aka War of the Zombies aka Night Star: Goddess of Electra.
If you like sword and sandal movies, faux zombies, and John Drew Barrymore, then this is the one for you!
This is one of my most wanted movies for my collection. I collect 60s sword and sandals. Have a trailer disc with the trailer to this and it looks great.
Old 05-22-12, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I still fail to see why people seem to be so up-in-arms about this movie, and I'm perplexed about why Disney won't officially release it in the US. Even if I was black, I wouldn't see what all the hubbub is. It's a wonderful movie.

Last edited by The Infidel; 05-22-12 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-22-12, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

I caught this on Turner Classic Movies a few months ago, and I've recommended it to everyone I know who likes older movies. Gregory Peck stars as a pilot stationed in Burma during WWII who's gone "'round the bend" because his new wife was killed during an air raid in London. He endangers everyone who flies with him because he doesn't care whether he lives or dies. There's lots more to the story, but it's probably best to go into the film knowing as little as possible, as I did when I stumbled across it on TCM. It has probably the most poetically fitting, sublime ending of any movie I've ever seen. It's one of those films that, after I saw it, I wondered, "How have I never heard of this film?" I would have thought that it would be on lots of lists of great movies, but it's escaped everyone I've ever asked about it.
Old 05-22-12, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel

I still fail to see why people seem to be so up-in-arms about this movie, and I'm perplexed about why Disney won't officially release it in the US. Even if I was black, I wouldn't see what all the hubbub is. It's a wonderful movie.
Because it's no longer PC and Disney is the king of PC. I'm waiting for them to ban all Don Knotts films because they're offensive to the gay community.
Old 05-22-12, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gun Crazy (1950)

Because Peggy Cummins, that's why.

Old 05-22-12, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Here are a couple that spring to mind:

Wit was officially not theatrically-released, having been aired on HBO instead. If it had been theatrically-released, Thompson would have been an absolute shoo-in for a Best Actress nomination in 2002, replacing either Kidman or Zellweger. Of course, Halle Berry would still have won.
Old 05-22-12, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498

I caught this on Turner Classic Movies a few months ago, and I've recommended it to everyone I know who likes older movies. Gregory Peck stars as a pilot stationed in Burma during WWII who's gone "'round the bend" because his new wife was killed during an air raid in London. He endangers everyone who flies with him because he doesn't care whether he lives or dies. There's lots more to the story, but it's probably best to go into the film knowing as little as possible, as I did when I stumbled across it on TCM. It has probably the most poetically fitting, sublime ending of any movie I've ever seen. It's one of those films that, after I saw it, I wondered, "How have I never heard of this film?" I would have thought that it would be on lots of lists of great movies, but it's escaped everyone I've ever asked about it.
I've heard of this film, but have never seen it. I taped it off cable once upon a time and still have that tape. Your write-up makes me want to finally see it. Thank you.
Old 05-22-12, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498

And this is why I created this thread. Thank you, kind sir. *Jules runs off to add it to his Netflix queue.*
Old 05-22-12, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I'll one up you...

Michael Mann's.....Thief

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/keET6waBJHk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For the love of Jesus titty fucking Christ, CC. Just release it.

/thread
Good choice! Haven't seen this one in ages.
Old 05-22-12, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Because it's no longer PC and Disney is the king of PC. I'm waiting for them to ban all Don Knotts films because they're offensive to the gay community.
I fully realize that Disney doesn't consider it PC, but I've just never understood what's so un-PC about it. As far as I'm concerned, the people who speak out against this film have either never seen it and just know what they hear from other people (who have probably also never seen it), or they simply have their own personal issues with events in history that have little or nothing to do with this film.