Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Worst thing ever spoiled for you about a movie or TV show?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Worst thing ever spoiled for you about a movie or TV show?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-12, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,464 Likes on 931 Posts
Re: Worst thing ever spoiled for you about a movie or TV show?

"It's his sled!"

I wish I could have seen the move without haven't heard the spoiler over and over from the age of ten.
Old 05-05-12, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I had Citizen Kane spoiled by the song "The Homecoming Queen's Got A Gun" where the ending of the movie is casually mentioned. I had the ending of Planet of the Apes spoiled by the Simpsons episode where they do a musical version, but sort of my fault for not having seen it yet by then anyways.

The first few waves of RCA SelectaVision videodiscs put out in 1981 describe literally the ENTIRE movie on the back covers. Yes, the one for Citizen Kane does give away the ending.

During my projectionist days, there was this weird old guy who subbed for the main projectionist on occasion and for some reason told me how the Robin Williams movie "Father's Day" ended before I had watched it (having to do with who the father really was). Never forgave him for that, even though he's dead now.

And I REALLY hate it when someone tells me the main character dies. Unless they die right at the beginning then the rest of the movie is a flashback, I don't want to know til it happens.
Old 05-05-12, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Battlestar Galactica

Spoiler:
I googled Chief Tyrol to find the actor who played him and one auto-complete result was "Chief Tyrol is a Cylon"
I forgot, I had this spoiled for me too.
Old 05-05-12, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhg83
Thanks to the news media, everyone knew the ending to Million Dollar Baby.
This one was spoiled for me as well, although I don't remember why.
Old 05-06-12, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
This one was spoiled for me as well, although I don't remember why.
Terri Schiavo
Old 05-06-12, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
Later, during Siskel and Ebert's annual "Memo to the Academy" program, Gene Siskel gave away the surprise twist of the film while giving his review, which infuriated Ebert.

I never knew that.
I remember this show...there was a huge fight because Siskel asked everyone who didn't want to know the "secret" to turn down the volume on their TV sets...and Ebert went ballistic, yelling "no one is going to turn down their volume!"
Old 05-06-12, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I remember this show...there was a huge fight because Siskel asked everyone who didn't want to know the "secret" to turn down the volume on their TV sets...and Ebert went ballistic, yelling "no one is going to turn down their volume!"
I would never have thought that of Siskel. I wonder what his reasoning was.
Old 05-06-12, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a guy I used to work with that would always give away the ending to a movie immediately - someone mentioned they had never seen 12 Monkeys and he said
Spoiler:
Oh yeah, the one where the guy does time travel and sees himself get shot at the end.

He did the same thing with 6th Sense and just about anything else he had seen. Anytime someone mentioned a movie around him, I would walk away as quickly as possible.
Old 05-06-12, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was the shot that sold the movie, but I was always irritated The Fugitive trailer included the waterfall shot.
Old 05-06-12, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I'm always bemused by those who don't realize people DVR shows to watch at a later time, or perhaps don't realize that people live on the West Coast and won't get to watch something for another 3 hours or so, and the very second the show ends its "live" broadcast, they jump onto Facebook, Twitter, etc. and proceed to share their shock and awe and joy over that show's rather severe spoiler element.

A really good friend of mine did that with "American Horror Story" last fall. The show ended at, what, 10pm... 10:01 PM on Facebook "OMG I can't believe [so and so] was [massive plot twist]!!! I LOVE American Horror Story!!!" The resulting beatdown was one for the record books. She didn't even do it maliciously or purposely. She was just a dumbass.
Old 05-06-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a spoiler necessarily, but the day after the opening of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, the kid who sat in front of me in U.S. History class recited the movie's funniest lines word-for-word. Hilarious then, but when I saw the film the next weekend, all the best jokes/sequences had been ruined.
Old 05-06-12, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

A really good friend of mine did that with "American Horror Story" last fall. The show ended at, what, 10pm... 10:01 PM on Facebook "OMG I can't believe [so and so] was [massive plot twist]!!! I LOVE American Horror Story!!!" The resulting beatdown was one for the record books. She didn't even do it maliciously or purposely. She was just a dumbass.
Yeah same thing happened with a FB friend with AHS. I and a few others that didn't watch it yet ripped into her. Some other idiot friends defended her with some shit about "It's her wall. She can write whatever she wants" I stopped going on FB till after I finished watching an Episode.
Old 05-06-12, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
It was the shot that sold the movie, but I was always irritated The Fugitive trailer included the waterfall shot.
It's been a while since I saw the Fugitive.

Can someone remind me how the waterfall shot spoils anything.
Old 05-06-12, 03:15 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My best friend is notorious for spoiling things. I've gotten him to stop saying stuff to me for the most part but he still does it around our other friend. And he doesn't do it on purpose either.

The worst one he spoiled for me, though, was probably SCREAM.
Old 05-06-12, 03:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon2

wasn't it
Spoiler:
the first time Ford and Jones' characters met?
Old 05-06-12, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I actually think that Psycho and Planet of the Apes are the two biggest spoilers ruined by pop culture. Hell, the VHS re-issue of PotA in the late 90s had Heston cowering before the Statue of Liberty on the cover!

While I don't know what this says about me, I never bought Darth Vader as Luke's father until it was confirmed by Yoda in ROTJ. I always considered it the villain trying to screw with the hero. Of course now it's no secret, especially if you watch Star Wars from Phantom Menace.

A big TV and books spoiler for me was

Spoiler:
Eddard Stark ruined by an EW article. They had his head covered on one page by a "spoiler alert" bubble. I immediately turned the page to see a photo of Sean Bean on the next with a quote from him saying "Blame George R. R. Martin." I almost didn't see the point of finishing the book, which I was trying to read before watching the show I had DVR'd. Then I realized it was only the first of several long-ass books and was most likely going to be minor compared to what lay ahead. Being on the third book right now, I was right in a major way.
Old 05-06-12, 07:46 PM

Siskel and Ebert gave away the midway twist to Wetherby on At The Movies. I was pretty pissed when I saw the film knowing what was going to happen. I understand being upset by ending spoilers but midway twists deserve to be saved to first viewings as well.

All I can say is god bless next week on: for Madmen, now that's the way to do it!
Old 05-06-12, 07:46 PM

Siskel and Ebert gave away the midway twist to Wetherby on At The Movies. I was pretty pissed when I saw the film knowing what was going to happen. I understand being upset by ending spoilers but midway twists deserve to be saved to first viewings as well.

All I can say is god bless next week on: for Madmen, now that's the way to do it!
Old 05-07-12, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

The worst one I can think of offhand is a guy at work spoiling
Spoiler:
Trinity dying
in the 3rd Matrix movie.
And on the subject of spoilers, I have long since stopped reading the DVD Talk reviews because of reviewewr giving away too much of the plot.
Old 05-07-12, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
The worst one I can think of offhand is a guy at work spoiling
Spoiler:
Trinity dying
in the 3rd Matrix movie.
And on the subject of spoilers, I have long since stopped reading the DVD Talk reviews because of reviewewr giving away too much of the plot.
I've come to the rule of if it's a plot development that occurs after the first act, I'll be as vague as possible if it must be mentioned. The only time I won't spoil a first act plot point is if it's an unexpected character death from a big name attached to the film or something like that.
Old 05-07-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jon2

Spoiler:
Yes he & TLJ met, but the fact that Harrison Ford jumped!
Old 05-07-12, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

PLANET OF THE APES: Back in 1968 when the film came out, a friend of mine told me the ending, but I completely misunderstood him, thinking he was simply referring to an ape version of the famous landmark. Only when I saw the film and it got to the end did I realize what he meant. So, in this case, it wasn't spoiled for me.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 05-07-12 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-07-12, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

HOLY CRAP.

I forgot the worst offender of all.

Alias: The Complete Second Season on DVD.

When you put in Disc 1 to start watching, there's a short promo that plays before you get to the Main Menu.

In in that promo they played a one-minute ALIAS promotional reel...

THAT PROCEEDED TO SPOIL EVERY LAST PLOT AND STORY BEAT FROM THE ENTIRE SECOND SEASON!!!

The same very season YOU JUST BOUGHT to watch for yourself.

Every last twist, every last surprise, every last death, every last shocking development, THE SEASON FUCKING FINALE... EVERYTHING.

If I hadn't already seen Season 2, I would have destroyed the entire pigeon population of Oconomowoc, Wisconsin.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 05-07-12 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-07-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Oh yeah what sucks is menus....like for The Godfather

Spoiler:
Main menu showing him freaking face down dead in the garden. Luckily I didn't notice he was in the shot, since I was looking at the top for some reason and pressed play. Yeah I didn't see it until 2008.
Old 05-08-12, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EW doing an article about Charlize Theron's role on Arrested Development and revealing the big plot twist a month or so ahead of time (I think unaware that they were spoiling it.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.